PDA

View Full Version : Little Red Ball (Revised)

paul burns
01-22-2005, 01:18 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-22-2005/48002_IMG_1385.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Little Red Ball
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 12x18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a portrait of our collie. I photographed her in the summertime laying in the grass but began to paint and decided she would look better in the snow.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My question for the group; Should the background have a bit more value or let it be?

LisaArt
01-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Hi Paul, She is beautiful. Very sweet face.
Your handling of water colour is super. :clap: Texture and colour of fur is very well done.
I think it works well the way it is...
I like the snow idea too.
Hey, You should do one in the green grass, and then one in the autumn leaves...you know a wholes series..and hang them together.

Esmeralinda
01-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Paul; she is gorgeous ! She seems so proud and gentle. Great job. I think she would look good on any background with your talent.

Linda :wave:

Gilberte
01-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Excellent work here in the fur, especially with watercolors. Congrats.
Would you consider to to add some more red-red to the ball and some darks where the body meets the snow ? FWIW ...

strychnine
01-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Wow! What a gorgeous doggie. :) I can't believe anyone can make watercolour look this good (I know I sure can't. Oils for me, all the way!). I wouldn't mess with the snow if I were you--you don't want to steal any of the focus away from your dog. Perhaps just a deeper shadow underneath the dog, as a previous poster has suggested.

Can I just say, something seems a little off about the dog's bum--it's as though there's no rump, just a really wide tail coming directly out of the back of the hind leg. Maybe I'm being thrown off by the perspective or the long fur...I wouldn't mind seeing your reference photo for comparison.

jerryW
01-22-2005, 08:05 PM
I see the dog
it is a type of dog that chases me when I am on rollerblades.
it barks and nips at me visciously.

but I like to see this one calmly in the water.
I stay away from the beach in my blades.

paul burns
01-23-2005, 12:48 PM
I darkened the shadow below the subject and added some red to the ball and worked the tail area the best I could. I see what you mean about the tail area and may have to add some artistic license there. I've attached a reference photo that I worked from. Thanks everone!!!

paul burns
01-23-2005, 01:33 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-23-2005/48002_IMG_1396.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Little Red Ball (Revised)
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 12x18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The thumbnail prviously posted wasn't clear enough so I am posting a better version

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Adjustments were made from everyones input. I hope this helps. Thanks

Gilberte
01-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Good revision.
Bravo !

chammi kaiser
01-23-2005, 04:04 PM
:wave: Like the revision. Tail also bothered me. The face is lovely and the fur beautifully rendered. Well done. Chammi.

BRIDGES
01-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Beautifully done! maybe you should do people's dogs for a hobby or living! Bridges

strychnine
01-23-2005, 11:32 PM
I like the revisions! Nice job! :clap:

Tamana
01-23-2005, 11:34 PM
"What's that, Lassi? You're tired of posing for awhile and want to go play with one of your regular rollerbladers on the parkway now?! Well, okay then, girl! Have at it and be back in ten!" :cool:

Beautiful rendition. Magnificent creature. That blue is gorgeous.