PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Mandela Spirit of Africa

chammi kaiser
01-23-2005, 10:44 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-23-2005/39224_Mandela_vs1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Nelson Mandela Spirit of Africa
Year Created: 200
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 75 cm by 53 cm (really large)
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have always had a great admiration for Mr. Mandela, his humour, his forgiving attitude and his pride. I just had to paint him . I tried to make each portrait more serene as it came forward. The misty one at the back is symbolic of those dark days in prison.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
There is not much I can do about it now as it is a watercolour but I would like your comments on how you feel about the essence of the painting.

Esmeralinda
01-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Good morning Chammi,

What a nice homage to a great man indeed. Very creative watercolour. I can feel the African spirit in the surrounding colours.

I think what bothers me a little is where each face meets. Could it be more delicate and subtle ?

Linda :)

Gilberte
01-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Me too I have a lot of admiration for this man and your painting is a great tribute. Beautiful palette with an African feel to it. Very personally I would have left out the white lines but it's your choice of course. Keep going !

chammi kaiser
01-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks Linda and Gilberte. I painted this in 2002 and I agree, would have left out the white lines today. Perhaps I could still soften them somehow. Will give it a try. Thanks for your time and comments. Chammi.

Tamana
01-23-2005, 11:29 PM
I agree about the whitelines; they seem to dominate the lovely palette of this too much. It is indeed a wonderful tribute and well done.

chammi kaiser
01-24-2005, 04:17 PM
:wave: Thanks Tamana. You always have such a warm way of saying things. Chammi.

LisaArt
01-25-2005, 04:39 AM
Oh Chammi, just saw this now...Its beautiful. What an amazing tribute.
I really love and admire Mr. Mandela too.
Very creative painting. I can feel the African spirit in the surrounding colours too.. :clap:

Wayne Gaudon
01-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Chammi, nicely done, I think the values of the 3 heads are too close so that one doesn't sit behind the other .. that is not a big deal because unless you tell someone, they wouldn't know your intention
FYI .. I would try to choose 3 values and stay within that range by using warm and cold to play the differences; one face done in 4, another in 5, and one in 6 .. I agree that the white lines do nothing for the piece .. :wave:

chammi kaiser
01-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi there Lisa and the Maestro (Wayne) ! Thanks so much for your comments. Lisa, did try to get the Africa feel , glad you felt it. Wayne as always thanks for the valuable input. Sorry took so long. Dreaded flu prevented my addiction to WC. Chams.