GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Riders of the Dawn
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 12x16-ish
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
From observation, in a sculpture garden.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Three things that bother me personally, looking at this now. 1- the guy's face, 2- i should've not put in the clods, and 3- I feel like that foilage would work better if it were darker.

Quiet
01-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Nicely done!

The use of line combined with the rendering of the shadows on the horses is very strong. The thing that makes the guys face read not as well is the shadow over his left eye it makes it look like his eyebrow is way up too high. I cant get over the way you rendered that statue! The background, however, is much more weak. I think two things are hurting it: the linework back there is less precise; and its more dark compared to the horse statue, thus demanding more attention. Something you might want to try in future drawings like this is to keep the values in the background in the middle ranges, while pushing foreground objects to have both the lightest lights and the darkest darks. Since the foreground subject here is white stone, the darkest darks would actually just be a few slim shadows in the deepest cracks lust enough to draw the statue forward in space. Anyway, its a stylistic thing that you can take or leave, but it would save you some of the tedium of carefully scribbling in all of those dark trees.

Frida200
01-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Hi Just :) ,

wow, what a nice drawing.
I also felt, though, that the statue could need a little darker shadows, for the same reason Quiet just pointed out.
I think what you were trying to do by leaving the background foliage less detailed is to express focus. It doesn't work too well here, though... But hey, all this is nitpicking, great great work!
I"m deeply impressed!!!!!!!!!!!

Claudia

Esmeralinda
01-23-2005, 09:46 AM
You already got good advice.
Only want to add my comment. This is so much work and very well done. How long did it take you to draw this ?

Linda :)

jerryW
01-23-2005, 10:00 AM
stands on its own very well as is
makes me want to go paint
start another, try not to get sucked in by obsession

Dana Design
01-23-2005, 11:18 AM
One thing that glared at me immediately is that the rider's head appears too big for his body and there's a strange tilt to it. It looks a bit cartoonish with almost too much detail. The rest of this is incredibly well-rendered and I do agree with the darks/lights comments.

Mikey
01-23-2005, 11:58 AM
McLean that head and neck is just plain difficult because of the posture and consequent roll of flesh on the jaw. This may be a case of bringing your observation to new heights, which means going back to that garden or looking at a photo and drawing until you do get it. The pay-off for doing that comes later. I've got the idea that for the kind of work you want to do it does matter.

Mikey

laketrees
01-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Mmmmmm Mclean...Excellent draughtsmanship :clap: ..IMO - would like to see more contrast -background dark enough without losing detail - contrast in focal point - guessing it's the figure and horses-very light highlights -
ahh the clods - thought ya were talking about horses clods - I think they add balance but maybe bring them across from the trees in another plane (a Quantas?) :D ...safest airline you know.....blah,blah,blah don't mind me just wafflin on a bit :evil:
Cheers Kim

wishyouwerehere
01-24-2005, 08:37 AM
i agree about the clouds, the foliage to the right hand side is absolutely spot on
really great drawing - those horses exude such power

sue
www.ayoubart.com