PDA

View Full Version : WaterFire (revised)

VanArt
01-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I have been working on this painting from a picture that I attached. Just wanted some comments on how it looks at this point. Starting to feel that I am wasting my time with it. It's done in acrylic and oil, the dimensions are 22' x 28'. All thoughts are welcome.

Vanessa

Quiet
01-23-2005, 07:40 AM
Hey, itís Waterfire! Have they added anything new to the show in the past four years?

One big problem so far in your painting: if youíre going for a realistic view, the perspective is way off. It might be worth starting over on this one. Get the underlying drawing pinned down before painting details like ripples and reflections.

Sorry. . .

Do you go to RISD?

shirleyq
01-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Since I don't know what direction you want to go I will only say that your sky is too light and the clouds are quite different...........more vertical....your reference clouds are more horizontal and longer. Check the perspective of the water on the right side. Correct that and your attitude may change :) Do you plan to include details from the photo?..............a big canvas to be frustrated over. Good Luck :)

VanArt
01-23-2005, 07:54 PM
I really have my work cut out for me with this painting (ughhhh)....I have never attempted anything this size before so it is very intimidating.

Quiet-Thanks for the advise. Not gonna give up yet though, I'm a fighter....
Every year they add a little something different to waterfire. I really enjoy it! I do not attend RISD. Thinking of taking a night course. I should take advantage of it.

Shirley-I agree about the sky. I need to get those clouds right. I do plan on adding all of the details and I am sure I will be working on this for quite some time. :eek: I'll post it again when I done so you can let me know what you think.

Thanks again,
Vanessa

LisaArt
01-24-2005, 03:10 AM
Hi Vanessa,
Keep going. Looking good. It is in the beginning stages, you will see it develop nicely with the more work you do. ;)
I was feeling like that with my present WIP and I got some good advice, so hang in there..

Quiet
01-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Good luck with the painting, Vanart. Hey, if you want to try something fun, sign up to volunteer at Waterfire. Loading logs into the fires is even more fun than watching the fires from across the water.

dcorc
01-27-2005, 04:15 AM
I'm intrigued as to why you are working in acrylic and oil - it seems to me that by doing so you are adding to your technical difficulties, both in terms of the long-term permanence of the painting, and also in terms of mastering issues of paint handling (which are distinctly different between the two media). - so which bits exactly are you doing with acrylic, and which with oils? :)

I'd agree with the comments on perspective - but also it seems to me that this should be primarily a painting about light - now I realise it's a WIP so may have quite a way to go - but if we have a look at the brightness values:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2005/30792-mo1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2005/30792-pwf1.jpg

We can see that the photo is far more contrasty, and that the light sources are far brighter, than in your painting - this is the secret to getting that sense of "internal illumination" in a painting - to recognise that the brightest you can get is pure white paint, and reserve that (or anything close to it) for the brightest areas - which are usually going to be any light sources and bright highlights only, on highly reflective materials - and not be afraid to take other things darker. It's getting the brightness values right which is the biggest battle in making representational paintings "work" - the actual colour is far less important - in the sense that you can do all sorts of odd things with the colour - which can be extremely interesting and give rise to all sorts of artistic effects and atmosphere - but the painting will work as long as the values are still broadly correct.

Dave

VanArt
01-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Dave-Thank you for your critque. I found it to be quite helpful. I do still have alot to do with this. In regards to the medium, I did the layout in acrylics and now using oil over it. I know what you mean that you feel I am making it harder for myself and should have just drawn out with a pencil.

Thanks again your comments.

Vanessa