PDA

View Full Version : Eyebuckled...

mebucko
11-28-2001, 09:20 PM
This is a piece that I did a while back, maybe 4 years ago.
It's a belt buckle that's made out of Super Sculpey.
This digital picture of it doesn't help any, it shows every
fault that there is in it! (There are skin pores in there though)
I wasn't going for human here either, it is not human...!:)
I don't know what I was going for here, but I was going for
weird, I do know that. The eye is wood, and is hand painted
with acrylics. It's baked with the Scupley, then sprayed
with clear afterwards. This is on a metal buckle base.
The eye looks terrible in this pic, but looks pretty realistic
in real life, I'm kind'a of an eye nut. This was a prototype
for what I thought might be the first of many belt buckles of
this genre.
I made more of the strange stuff like this, not much, but some.
Anyway, that's my first sculpture here, and please, don't hold
back what you think, I want to learn some of the ins and outs,
the tricks of the trade, 'cause I'm sure that it'd apply to the
stuff I do as well..
-Randy-

mebucko
11-28-2001, 09:22 PM
I hate it when I do that...:)
-R-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2001/eyebuckled.jpg

max nelson
11-28-2001, 10:32 PM
Randy, welcome aboard!!! Well, let's see...what can I say about this work. First off, cancel that yard mowing. Don't know how Mad Max and Wierd Randy would go over with the neighbors.:D
After getting over the shock of that eyeball stareing me down and looking so dang real I may have nightmares , I must say, you really do have a great talent! Your knowledge of the eye and surrounding bone structure speaks of a lot of training or a lot of study. Would really like to see you develope a 'whole' head..I'm sure it would be terrific. You cannot just post once on this forum and go away...we have a posse, ya know.
Max:clap:

impetuous
11-28-2001, 11:12 PM
oh wow! this is very clever ...and that eye is painted wood??? shute, it looks just like glass!
Is there no end to your talents?:D

tritium_pie
11-28-2001, 11:48 PM
That eye is WOOD?! Holy freak-out, Batman, that belt-buckle is staring at me!

You really did some high-quality work there! I mean, I can even tell that he/she/it had a few drinks last night, hasn't had a morning smoke yet, and is that a slight case of astigmatism?

Man, that is a trippy belt buckle, but I think I'd much rather see it glued to the center of my bare naked chest, or the back of my head or something! That is freaky-real looking! Are you going to add eye-lashes later, or are you going for the albino, full-body alopecia look? (What was that movie I never saw? "Powder"?)

My vote is for a full head, followed by a body. You're so good with those expressive eyes, I'm all for whatever you make being covered with 'em.

Do you make prosthetics by any chance? Have you considered it?

Fantastic piece, man. Keep 'em comin...

Benjamin

wendee
11-29-2001, 07:04 AM
Iam lost for words...AWESOME...here's looking at ya...:D

diane555
11-29-2001, 07:27 AM
Welcome Randy...to the sculpture forum!!! Ha Ha! We caught another one!! Okay, now for my response to your piece.
Whoa! (geesh, is that how one spells whoa?) Anyway Randy, this is faaaabulous. Wow, you really do have your anatomy down! I'm with the rest on this one...when do we see a whole head?? But even if you just do eyes, it's fine with us 'cause we like the kinda weird too. :D
Hope we see more soon. I think prosthetics is a good consideration. My neighbour is in that field..amazing stuff.

Di :)
PS: I wasn't aware that you did grass...how 'bout the leaves too?

mebucko
11-29-2001, 12:26 PM
Mr. Max: Thank God! I was afraid that I would be mowing in the snow!
Like I said, I do have a thing for eyes, and skulls, I think that eyes (like a lot of people) are that 'window thing' to the soul...
(Actually, it's the eyelids that do that, but you know...!)
I think that the skull, human, or otherwise, is a very beautiful thing.
When you think about it, we are very beautiful, no matter how unsightly!
So weird is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. :) Now that I have found
this place, I'm sure that I will be doing the "whole head" thing soon.
I'm anxious too, that's for sure! A sculptors posse?... now that is just flat scary! Thanks again for the nice invite, and also the groovy words.
-Randy-

Impetuous: Thank you so much! Actually, I'm a master of impression too!(giggle) How's this? "Thank you, thank you very much!"... or... "Some people call it a slingblade"... Those were 'perfect' impressions of Elvis and Billy Bob Thornton! How do I do it?! :) I think I'm funny evidentally... Really, thank you for your compliments, yours are always appreciated.
-Randy has left the building- (Off to make one of those peanut butter-n-nanner sandwiches man...)

Big Ben: Wood eye.. Wood eye? You caught me, that's my eye after a night out on the town! No, no eyelashes, This was intended for real use, but I found out that Sculpey was the wrong material for that, the box lies. I know how now, but have gone on. What one thing I do want to do is 1/6 scale figures, I have done some in Sculpey and sold 'em, (no pics) and loved it, but now I'm planning on going y'all's route, I think, with the plasticene, or what ever it is that is used, I will find out.
Actually, yeah, I have made prosthetics before, for Halloween only though, I molded hands, made a mask, and actually made a whole dummy with articulated eyes, jaw arms, spent about 150 hours on it.
(I'll post a pic of the planned dummy, named "Boner" if anybody's interested in seeing him)
That's another story though... I'm kind'a out of the horror loop now, Halloween ain't what it used to be. Thans Ben, for your considerate words, and also for teaching me a new word, I had to look up
"alopecia", I had never heard that name before, but knew what it was. Thanks!
-Randy-

Wendee: How nice of you! I have to admit, when posting here, I thought it was kind'a not up to par, but words like that make it easier on me, Thank you very much!
-Randy-

Di: Hi! Yeah, I think that y'all ought to advertise this place, it will grow if more people visited.
"Whoa!" works for me! :) Thank you too much! I hope to do a whole 'something' soon , whatever I can...
We'll see how I do, I hope y'all are as good at 'that kind' of critcism as you are with the good. :D
I think that I'll stick with regular sculpting for now, prosthetics are probably more useful, but...
(Leaves...? uh...I would , really I would, I don't mind a bit, but my back just went out on me and...)
-Randy-
Thank y'all for making me feel so welcome here! I think I'm going to love it.
Sorry this is so long!
-R-

max nelson
11-29-2001, 06:00 PM
Randy..after trying to get that 'eye' out of my mind so I could sleep last nite I had another thought. It sounds like you are familiar with making molds so may not apply. This would be a very simple cast to make. Check out the resource info that Di posted for Polytek. That stuff is so simple that even I can do it. You could even cast the final product in the same material as the mold if you wanted to make it 'skin like'. If you want any info on this just ask...after you've mowed.:D
Max

mebucko
11-29-2001, 08:12 PM
Max: Funny... I had a mower and a leaf rake on my mind, I hardly slept, woke up and coughed up a red oak leaf, is that wrong? I am pretty familiar with mold making really. I am just aprehensive about it.
Y'all have done it, and have already experienced to "Thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat", so
I figure that seeing first-hand what y'all have done is like really going to get me going and will
make me get off my hiney faster. (Hiney is a German word for bottom) Anyway, I did go and look at the
article posted by Di, and by coincidence, that is the very first thing that I saw when I joined, I went to her site and looked around at her stuff, and came back, then the rest as they say is history.
Her post got me to thinking that I want to get into it again soon. Actually, another coincidence, I
am actually familiar with the product and the process, I have been to their site many times before.
Weird how things come back and bite you on the (see above). I just didn't remember the name, I'm old.
Anyway, I would not have come here and met y'all had you not threatened me with yardwork, so I want
to kind'a soak y'all in and (hopefully) be included in y'all's reindeer games soon.
The process is like you said, easy... I know that anybody can do that, but, there is always trial and error with that kind of stuff too, so that's why y'all have been appointed by the pope to look after me. (The official papers are in the mail)
Right now, I'm having the time of my life looking around and meeting the nicest people (evidently) in the world! Thank you for taking the time to ask me if I needed help, 'I really do' appreciate that. Thanks Max!
-Randy-

jhusel
11-30-2001, 09:14 AM
:eek: WOW Randy!!!! That eye is awesome! I am very impressed. You ever thought about getting into prosthetics? I met with a guy a while back who did facial prosthetics and you would be great at that!!!

I, for one, would love to see more of your work.

Jason

mebucko
11-30-2001, 12:53 PM
Jason: Thank you for your interest and your thoughts on this! I have done some (playful) prosthetics,
(see preceding page) and kind'a like it, but really didn't have a reason to do it, I guess, so stopped. I never thought about doing it for good reasons like 'real prosthetics'. Oh well...
I loved your link to the Dan Perez site! I know of him too, and I am familiar with alot of the stuff in that genre, that is kind'a where I might be tryin' to head, I'm not sure yet. I have definitely
spent time at gremlins in the garage site, there's hundreds of figures there. I aslo take a couple of
magazines pertaining to that sort of sculpture. 'Nuff 'bout me! You Sir, ROCK! I am very impressed with your work! You've already accomplished more than alot of artists twice your age, and in the paper too! :)
You are an artist of many mediums, thats for sure, and getting a compliment from you is an honor.
you have the drive I always wish I had.
Thank you, and thank you for the link, if you have any more, please send 'em, I'd love 'em! (I will check out your site links) The people here at this forum are great artists, and I am definitely
humbled.
-Randy-

jhusel
11-30-2001, 05:31 PM
Hey Randy, thanks for the kind words. I wish I had more time to work on my art, but I don't. I need to make more time, I have been in a 'rut' lately. I don't really have many more links for stuff like his, but if I come across any, I'll post them for you.

I met with a prosthetic guy a while back who specializes in facial prosthetics. To give you an example of what that goes for: He made 1/2 an ear for a friend of mine (she'd been in a wreck) and cost her $3,000. Might not be a bad career to try and persue if you don't already have something that you like!

Jason

Mich451
12-01-2001, 04:29 PM
Randy...

Have been looking at your work... toooo cool.

mebucko
12-02-2001, 12:01 PM
Jason: Hey! I understand "ruts" too... been there, or, am there...:)
That's O.K. about the links, to tell you the truth, I have so much stuff to do now, plus surfin' the net's not going to be very much fun since I have (hopefully only temporary!) lost my ISP (AT&T@home cable). I'm online at 24k right now on my 56k modem... I think that it's a little late for me to change careers for a '3rd time', but it would be kind'a nice to do the prosthetics stuff, it does sound interesting, any takers?:D Thanks very much Jason!
-Randy-

Mich: Thanks for stopping and leaving good words like that, I appreciate it!
-Randy-

kjsspot
12-02-2001, 08:25 PM
Wow! What an eye!! LoL LoL My daughter wants this to wear to school. She's at that freak out your friends age. LoL This is really kewl! I can't say as I've ever seen anything quite like it!! Nice talent! Sure would like to see more of your stuff.

mebucko
12-03-2001, 04:11 PM
Tkanks kjjspot,
Thank you for the kind words, and I completely understand how your daughter would like to wear it for "Weird of the Week!".:) Went to your site, you do some very good and different work too, keep it up!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2001/ranbucko-2.gif

greencook
12-18-2001, 01:32 PM
Randy,
Glad you suggested I come over to look at Max's work here. Couldn't resist looking at your posts as well. When the pic on this one opened up I couldn't help laughing!
Every bit of art you do is so darn good! :clap: :clap: :clap:

After seeing this and your "rattlehead" I know I'm liking your sculpturing side as much (or more) as your drawing side.

jackddavis
12-18-2001, 01:57 PM
AWESOME .....:clap:

MKathleen
12-27-2001, 09:37 AM
Boy is this different, I just want to keep looking at it! You have gotten some terrific comments in this thread and I agree with all of them. I'd like to see more of your work also.

Best,
Kathy