PDA

View Full Version : Fantin Latour Rose

Mikey
01-22-2005, 10:57 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-22-2005/28043_fantin_rose_4.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Fantin Latour Rose
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This rose is from a beautiful garden I found on a web site. I hope it's going to give me plenty of things to paint.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I don't know what to think about this painting, you tell me, so any comments please.

Mikey

Esmeralinda
01-22-2005, 11:31 AM
So soft and velvety! A pleasure to look at. It looks so thin and fragile. Mikey, this rose is beautiful. Do you think more leaves would compliment it ? Just seems in space a little to me.

This rose has personality and seems to be looking at me. Lovely. :)

Linda

klamidon
01-22-2005, 11:57 AM
It's a beautiful painting. The only thing is it seems to be of all the same value. Maybe some darker darks and lighter lights? or is it the picture? The rose seems to be floating on the page. Maybe a stem and leaves? I love the brush strokes.

karen

purplepansey
01-22-2005, 12:19 PM
I love your rose and love Fantin Latour's paintings.

LisaArt
01-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Hats off Mikey! Bravo :clap:
I have enjoyed the WIP. It looks beautiful.
The values are perfect to me. On my screen I see the lovely darks and complimenting lights.
So and soft and delicate this rose.
She does seem to be looking at you, as Linda said. ;)
I dont think she needs a stem or leaves, I like it the way it is.
The lovely green backround is complimenting too.

Mikey
01-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Many thanks Linda, Purple Pansie and Klamidon. I've put in the suggestion of leaves and a stem, to do away with the lost in space look. The range of colours in this one is fairly subtle and seems to be partly lost with the camera and jpeg compression.

Mikey

Wayne Gaudon
01-22-2005, 12:39 PM
I've put in the suggestion of leaves and a stem, to do away with the lost in space look.

then it has to be move moving. Soft and pleasing to the eye except for what you corrected.

Rieko
01-22-2005, 02:51 PM
I like the way the beautiful rose looks floating and soft against the dark background; almost like a classical look. On my screen I can see the stem and a leaf...

Michael-Ann
01-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Simply beautiful Mikey! The petals speak of the ballerina's skirts that Degas would paint/draw.

Mikey
01-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks Lisa. I've posted it off to the garden owner asking if he thought there should be any changes. I'll let you know.

Wayne, I have put in a bit more, but very soft, just enough.

Thanks Rieko. I may try something more loose with saturated colour now.

Thanks Michael-Ann.

Mikey

Gilberte
01-22-2005, 03:36 PM
No need to feel afraid of painting more flowers Mikey. It looks lovely, agree though about a hint of a stem and a leaf.

Mikey
01-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks Gilberte, I'll try to do the next one without putting expectations on myself, except for enjoying the paint.

Mikey

Mikey
01-22-2005, 06:48 PM
The rose grower wants more detail in the petals and foliage, so he really want photo realism. That's not really what I want to do. I was thinking of less. Maybe he should look at some Fantin-Latour paintings close-up to see the loose brushwork.

Mikey

jerryW
01-22-2005, 07:57 PM
start a new one for the client
keep this like this.
I like the raw mikey best.

Mikey
01-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks Jerry, I think I'll have to ask for a higher res file and prepare a canvas especially smooth.

Mikey

Artistanne
01-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Mikey, this is lovely! Pink is so hard to work with, especially the shadows, you've got them just right. You've inspired me--I have a cyclamen in a green foil wrapped pot that is just begging to be painted, but I wasn't up to the challenge, I think I'll give it go after seeing this. ;)

Mikey
01-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks Anne. I can see the problem here. From my point of view more detail dosn't make a painting more realistic. A rose grower who studies the minute detail of his plants everyday will, however, have different eyes to the normal. Now to try and paint a rose with a lot of detail would be a challenge, and I wouldn't die or become ill if I failed. It would be more training for sure. Still the guy did like the colours, and the work on my own web space. I think he was just stating his personal preference anyway. Actually I find it very useful to listen to this kind of feedback.

Mikey

jenner567
01-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Mickey, I so envy anyone who can paint flowers, especially roses. As much as I love florals, my many attempts have been disasterious. :envy:

This painting is exquisite as is. I love the beautiful pink against the dark background, stem or no stem, it's stunning.

haaf
01-23-2005, 04:16 AM
Mikey
Believe me ( and others of course)
roses ar just very difficult
If looking at earlier paintings of mine....I can see the struggle
Add to that that working with that particular color is difficult..you often get
to much blue hues in there, do you have a Rose Madder in your range of colors?
The rose man should not forget that what he asks from you cannot be dictated, he may not like it....that's ok, but an artist take on a subject is very personal and reflect what you would-could-wanted to put on canvas at this particular time.
You are the boss over your own work Mikey!
Caroline ;)

mclean
01-23-2005, 07:23 AM
whoa, the first thing that jumped out at me was your transitions between sharp edge and soft edge- and how they create the illusion of a lense-focus. I like it. It makes me think of Gerhardt Richter's intelligent uses of edge quality!

Mikey
01-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks Jenner, I admit I did this one in short bursts. I could only concentrate for so long.

Hi Caroline,I'm experimenting with colour mixing here, I have the forbidden PR83 Alizarin, Magneta, Napthol Red, Cadmium Red Light and Manganese Dioxide. I've tried to get a good salmon pink with Red Oxide, or Burnt Sienna and Alizarin but lose the intensity. I may fall back on Genuine Naples Light. I hadn't thought of using Cadmium. It is very true that we have to paint what comes, although my more mindy Bouguereau exercises seem to have been good training in the long run.

McLean, thanks for noticing the edges.

It seems to me that you have an enviable career ahead. A Fine Art degree and post grad in Production, then world's your oyster. At least in the UK there's people who can use the software, but that mixed with creative talent is more rare and much sought after.

Mikey