PDA

View Full Version : "Got Milk?"

woodguy
01-22-2005, 01:41 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-22-2005/5058_holstein3gotmilk.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Got Milk?"
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 20 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
More cows...it is Stock Show time in Denver.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything...progress pics in WIP Forum. Thanks, Jim

Dhuot
01-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Hi Jim, s`benn a while :wave:

Nicest sky ever !

You know, they seem to move, so that`s pretty darn good...

Daniel

woodguy
01-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Thanks, Daniel! Not been too long...maybe you missed the others :) Look in the WIP Forum, the other cows are better IMO. Value in this one was a problem, I wanted more contrast and balance. May yet happen. Jim

shirleyq
01-22-2005, 02:24 PM
The sunlight is so bright it almost hurts your eyes to look at it. :) Naples? and another yellow?
The back leg on the left cow needs just a little more definition IMO. It had more in your WIP. According to you, this didn't meet your expectations but it is a winner and I would think that it will sell immediately. :D Keep'em comin' cowboy :evil: :p :evil:

Michael-Ann
01-22-2005, 03:17 PM
I love this! The cow in the background looks surprised at the encounter :D I really like how the shadows almost converge with the cows to create some sort of unified creature of unknown sorts.

Esmeralinda
01-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi,
Love your cows and the light. Only one thing bothers me a little (I hate saying that) but maybe it is only what I see on my screen: the yellow spots around the left cow seems to have been just put there at the last moment and after the cow was painted. And that is fine but it just seem to attract my attention so much.

When I look at it with one eye or further back, then it isn't as flashy. Am I nit pikking for nothing. If so, sorry :( because I love your painting, really. :wave:

Linda :wave:

strychnine
01-22-2005, 06:25 PM
I find the light and shadow confusing. When I first looked at the painting I wasn't sure what I was looking at--even now my eye keeps being drawn to the series of golden egg-shapes that form a line just to the left of centre. Those golden ovals (and also the bunch of round golden patches around the rear cow's legs) are really distracting to me. They're so bright and hard-edged that they seem to me like actual objects in the painting rather than patches of sunlight.

...But so far, I seem to be the only one bothered by this. And I do like the colours and the feeling of the painting otherwise--lots of personality in the moo-cows!

Wayne Gaudon
01-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Hello Jim .. like your new adventure into cows. I think you need to treat the light between and under the legs and all like you would the sky peeping through trees .. it would appear darker in value than the other light areas.

jerryW
01-22-2005, 07:52 PM
I am mad for cow weakness in the knees and all you know.
(just prime ribbing you)
enjoy!

Gilberte
01-23-2005, 02:44 PM
You know, it's the light in this painting that attracts me so much ...

Andrew Rance
01-23-2005, 04:27 PM
"Yes? - well, why the long faces??!" Great use of light and colour. The right hand cow's face (nose) seems a bit thin.

Tamana
01-23-2005, 11:30 PM
I agree about the yellow; does seem a bit stark. But other than that, it's beautifully done, Jim. A combination of your landscapes and forms.

And...wouldn't they be saying "Got Cud"? ;)

woodguy
01-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Sorry I am so late getting back to the responses on this one. I really wasn't completely happy with how it turned out, and A few of your comments really hit home. So I decided to redo it and make some changes and clarifications. Tonight was the first that I was able to make time to paint.

Thank you, Shirley! I pulled the shades a bit to soften the light...but hope that it still reads like bright light.

Thank you, Michael-Ann! I think that I may have significantly altered that "inbetween" creature.

Thank you, Linda! Yellow and B Sienna at the last moment...you are right! How is it now? But keep in mind that I did paint this to be seen at a distance while squinting :evil:

Thanks, Strychnine! You made me realize how confusing the light and shadow really was. Is it any clearer now?

Thank you, Wayne! How about now? Could be the same issues :confused:

Thank you, Jerry! As long as it is the "Prime" that you are ribbing me with my pallete will hold up just fine :)

Thank you, Gilberte! I hope that I did not destroy that light is this redo. What do you think?

Thank yo, Andrew! I think that the faces are a bit broader now...maybe needs more?

Thank you, Tamana! What they are really saying is..."MOOOOOOO" :rolleyes:

Thaks again all, I appreciate your comments and input! Jim

Esmeralinda
01-24-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi there,

Very nice. Everything looks just great. :clap:

LisaArt
01-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi Jim, A great finish. :clap:
I think the shadow bit underneath the cows much better. What is that silver grey on first cow's leg? Okay I see, a shadow..
Great sunlight!