GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mrs. Lowther's lessons
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 21
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I like painting pictures that tell a story. In my childhood I used to stand outside the piano teacher's house and wishfully watch students at their lessons. This wish was finally realized when I was finally the pig tailed student taking my beloved lessons.

This is done on black canson pastel paper. I particularly like the use of colour on a black background for it's dramatic quality.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like feedback on colour, composition and if the story can be read by the viewer. Any noticable mistakes are welcome. Also the picture was taken digitally, so it does come out somewhat "cloudy", but in actual fact is a crisp image.

purplepansey
01-21-2005, 09:02 PM
I love your picture. I'll bet it brings back fond memories to a good many of us who took piano lessons! I like the teacher pointing, at least I think that is what I see. Well done. I love the piano lite shining on the top of the little girl's head and the music.

jerryW
01-21-2005, 09:08 PM
superb illustration style

Esmeralinda
01-21-2005, 10:32 PM
This has a good effect on the black background.
The body reminds me of a "sablier" (don't know what the english word is-not in my dictionary ??).

Her little arms and braids are superb. I am happy your wish came true. A very nice story painted.

Linda :wave:

Dhuot
01-21-2005, 11:27 PM
This has a good effect on the black background.
The body reminds me of a "sablier" (don't know what the english word is-not in my dictionary ??).

Linda...Hourglass that is

Gloworm , welcome here at WC.

Well, I really like this. When I first saw it, it reminded me of the movie " Les triplettes de Bellevilles "...
The piano looks like it`s frightenning her.....like a monster !!!!

I like the use of black paper.
Nice colour.

Show me more :D

Daniel

Gilberte
01-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Charming, absolutely. That stick is a bit too long and the hand too far away but it's still ... charming.

Tamana
01-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Oh Lord the memories....*shudderz*

This is wonderful; illustration was my first thought too. You should consider children's books; you'd be phenomenal.

strychnine
01-23-2005, 11:54 PM
This picture has the potential to look quite scary (the spare composition, the way the little girl is singled out by the beam of light, the way all the objects melt out of the dark background), but your whimsical colour choices make all the difference. Dreamlike.

LisaArt
01-24-2005, 04:33 AM
Oh this is delightful. :clap:
Superb drawing.
It does tell a story, she looks so cute and so attentive sitting at the pinao, like a little Beethoven. Oh she want so much to learn... ;)
The impact of the colour on dark paper, is great. I like how she is illuminated...