GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: portrait of sophie
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Digital
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8 x 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my first attempt at corel painter, and my first attempt at an animal. The puppy's left side was in total shadow, so I had to guess on detail.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please critique harshly. I'm here to learn :)

jerryW
01-21-2005, 09:14 PM
inside the envellope of the dog shape everything is excellent.
however it as if it is all about the dog and nothing to do with anything else.
pure ideation.
you could move it anywhere on any size white surface and it would be the same - perfect but unrelated.

in that way I find it unfinished, to me the edges are the first 4 lines of the composition. some connection besides an imaginary magnetic repulsion might make the comp work.
here is perfect idea and no composition.
I can be no more cruel than that - honestly I tried to sqush your heart ruthlessly - but in a good way - or just off the wall nuts.

Esmeralinda
01-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Now, this put a huge smile one my face. I thought I was going to see a woman. She's beautiful. I do not know anything about your medium so it is difficult for me to comment. But Sophie does stand out. I would adopt her.

Linda :wave:

klamidon
01-22-2005, 01:11 AM
Thanks for your comments. I tried adding a background and I think I like it!

Karen

LisaArt
01-22-2005, 03:41 AM
Hi Karen, I like it too better the background.
I dont know much about corel painter, but thats like wow! I did not think we could use a software like that to produce something that does so much look like a painiting..Pretty neat.
Shes a real cutie pie!

klamidon
01-22-2005, 11:52 AM
thanks for the great comments. I really enjoy painting on the computer (less messy). I'm not sure which I like better now. I can't wait to start another one.

karen

pero lane
01-22-2005, 12:17 PM
The added background makes all the difference...though I know nothing of this process, I'd say "well done"! :)

Esmeralinda
01-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Lovely warm background. I think she looks even more like a sweetheart :clap:

strychnine
01-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Such a pretty girl! The addition of the background is a big improvement; so warm and cozy.

I think her snout might need...something. I can't tell whether she's a pushed-in-face kind of dog (like a boxer) or if she has a long snout that's simply been foreshortened. I feel like the portrait would be improved by adding some more visual cues as to how far out that snout goes, but I'm not sure how you would do it, exactly. I could probably make better suggestions if I could look at the reference photo.

DevineCreative
01-22-2005, 10:00 PM
This is an excellent painting. Puppies are often "uneven" as they are growing at a rapid rate. I did notice that there a few too many uneven lines. I thought I would draw them out for you. Easy enough to correct in a software program.

mclean
01-23-2005, 07:32 AM
what's your woking method on Painter? Do you use seperate layers, or is this all on the background layer? There are some really great tips on using Painter 8 here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6621

I'd say that for your first time on Painter, that turned out really really well. The only thing I'd say is to take advantage of the program's opacity and transparency settings with different layers (unless you're already on it).

klamidon
01-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Here is the reference photo I used.

I made some minor adjustments to the final but everything but the nose seemed to be on.

meclean - as I said, this is my first time using this program so I am sure I did it the hard way. I started with a blank canvas and proceded as I would on paper and adjusted opacity settings on my pastel sticks. I haven't had a chance to play around with layers.

thanks for all the encouragement.
karen

xavier
01-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Thank goodness,something that makes me feel good!
I really liked the first one with white background best!