PDA

View Full Version : Roche Pastels Web Site

bk7251
01-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Isabel Roche just told me that there is now a Roche Pastels web site. It isn't completely finished, but you can see what there is at http://www.lamaisondupastel.com/en. It is quite interesting.

For those of you who haven't read my previous posts on the subject, you can read the article I wrote about Roche pastels for Pastel Journal (July/August 2002) on my web site: http://www.katzhome.com/pastel_article.htm

In the US, you can buy Roche pastels online from Rochester Art Supply: http://fineartstore.com/

ColorMyWorld
01-21-2005, 07:17 PM
What a well written article. I felt like I was on your quest with you. I don't use soft pastels but they sound wonderful!

Khadres
01-21-2005, 11:15 PM
Isabel Roche just told me that there is now a Roche Pastels web site. It isn't completely finished, but you can see what there is at http://www.lamaisondupastel.com/en. It is quite interesting.

For those of you who haven't read my previous posts on the subject, you can read the article I wrote about Roche pastels for Pastel Journal (July/August 2002) on my web site: http://www.katzhome.com/pastel_article.htm

In the US, you can buy Roche pastels online from Rochester Art Supply: http://fineartstore.com/

All I'm getting on the Roche site is a blank page? Anyway, I remember the article and enjoyed it very much. I still haven't gotten my mind around the prices but someday, I'll treat myself to a few, just for the luxury of it!

jackiesimmonds
01-22-2005, 02:22 AM
thanks for this. I remember the article. I rather wish these pastels were available in the UK, if they were, I could help to promote them with an article in our "The Artist" mag. I have written to Isabel to find out if she has any plans to sell them in the UK.
Jackie

HarvestMoon
04-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Jackie- read your article which was great. I am wondering though, if a relative of mine goes to Paris as she intends, is the price any better buying them on a Thursday afternoon? Will need a 50th or so credit card to buy them from fine art supplies....
cheers,
Linda

HarvestMoon
04-18-2005, 04:09 PM
I discovered that besides the $1500. sets the Fine Art Store has sets of 9 shades of each color... average around $100. each. Perhaps the thing to do is to pick out the best 10 or so color groups and do something like a 'book of the month club' or 'book of the every other month club'. I am sure my cats and dogs would not mind going with their dinner ever few days as their personal sacrifice to the arts...

Khadres
04-18-2005, 10:49 PM
I'd thought of the smaller 9 color sets, too, Linda, but...then I got to thinkin', would I need EVERY shade of one color? Hmmmm...they ARE cheaper that way, but....How bout three of four of a color every other month?

What am I SAYING???? I don't NEED 'em! I do NOT NEED 'em! No, no, no, no need'em! Step AWAY from that credit card NOW!!!!

HarvestMoon
04-19-2005, 06:32 PM
No, I don't need them either, but sure do WANT a few.... don't even have to step away from credit card, it is maxed :-)

HarvestMoon
04-19-2005, 06:40 PM
BTW Sooz, I think i have already been through that '9 set' exercise- if I recall, after dropping all of them in the basket, it was around 6,500. That is worth more than my car!

Khadres
04-19-2005, 07:41 PM
HAHAHA, I haven't gotten as far as actually putting anything in my shopping cart...but isn't that fun? Even if you dump it all without buying it's kinda like "window shopping". I think someone said that to buy ALL their colors (all of which aren't on the open stock list there...) it would run around $10k. I'd have to be selling some big stuff for something like that!

jackiesimmonds
04-20-2005, 02:54 AM
I'd thought of the smaller 9 color sets, too, Linda, but...then I got to thinkin', would I need EVERY shade of one color? Hmmmm...they ARE cheaper that way, but....How bout three of four of a color every other month?

What am I SAYING???? I don't NEED 'em! I do NOT NEED 'em! No, no, no, no need'em! Step AWAY from that credit card NOW!!!!

Sooz, I second this. I KNOW what you bought in Santa Fe. I read your posts and know what you buy elsewhere. I can guarantee you DO NOT NEED ANY MORE PASTELS - just stoppit girl, you are addicted to buying, you are a true victim of advertising, an art store junkie. :evil: (fun, innit!)

Stop spending AND PAINT. that's an order.

J

HarvestMoon
04-20-2005, 04:54 AM
Gee, that is what my pastel teacher says to me. And I have to give my stuff away :D I am for SURE an art supply spending junkie and have spent more time on wetcanvas lately than doing any art at all. It fuels my desire for more stuff I have not heard of- of course I am looking at all the shopping info on wetcanvas as well as the wonderful internet sites! So Sooz, what DID you buy in Santa Fe?

Bill Foehringer
04-20-2005, 11:14 AM
I just sent off a check for 90$ to Dakota to take advantage of their Schmincke Sale and a few more dark Giraults and I thought that was alot. I stuck to the colors I'm running low on. I'm trying some of the new Schmincke blues for skies and also some different muted greens for the coming summer months. The giraults are replacements for the tones that I use the most. I have brite spring greens from rembrandt and sennelier but my summer colors are pretty thin and most are from rembrandt therefore, 'hard'. Next month I'll send a check off to Blick for paper and rembrandts and senneliers. I'm trying to stay away from using the card and just buy what I actually use a little at a time. With these purchases I shoud be good for awhile. I was going to send off for about 170$ but broke it down and spread it out.
As for the Roche pastels, they're too rich for my blood. Maybe with increased sales in the US the prices can be lowered. BillF

Khadres
04-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Actually, I was very restrained in my purchases in Santa Fe! (actually, I just ran out of time since we headed home early due to hubby's health thingy). I bought a Bristol W&N outdoor easel, which I needed, 64 Ludwigs (who could resist at $2 apiece!?), a handful of my fave Flinders & Jacaranda colors from Art Spectrum and replacements for my purply colors of Schminckes. That was pretty much it. I couldn've bought LOTS more, believe me! They had some wonderful prices on gorgeous brushes, sketchbooks, studio doodads, etc. Plus I had INTENDED to try a 12X18 Wallis museum tablet since all I've ever used is the Pro type...but forgot to do it at the last minute. :( But don't forget, I also got to bring home another 35 or so HAND MADE sticks from Kitty's pastel making workshop! Just discovered THE most creamy, gorgous Naples yellow shade among those! Creamy smoooooooothe and soft! Terry also gave us a sumptuous light yellowy heart shaped sample pastel, so I was like Midas gloating over the new shades when I got home and unboxed it all. Can't wait to go again next year! Who wants to meet up with me and SHOP!!?!?!

Khadres
04-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Jackie, you are so right...it's a divine addiction indeed! I was never happier than I was when I had my own art supply shop in the garage over in Canon City! Even tho only part of the stock was anything I would use personally, it all FELT like mine and it was like being feeeeeelthy RICH the whole time! Plus I got to order STOCK every couple weeks and then upack new shipments when they arrived. Made very little profit because stock prices kept rising with each order (was that horrible part of the 80s when inflation was through the roof), but I tied it in with giving beginner oil painting lessons and my own personal painting so that it was a very fulfilling life there for awhile. Gone are the days when one can operate that small a business and survive tho. Sighhhhhhh

HarvestMoon
04-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Sooz, well I sure would LOVE to go shop in Santa Fe with you if it does not end in a divorce ! Oh, the Dakota people must be the happiest folks on earth, unpacking all those wonderful pastels.... do you suppose they worry that they will go to a good home as I did when shipping rocks? Yes, ordering them was fun- the increasing bills was not! But now I get to have even bigger bills and order retail :envy:

Khadres
04-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Actually, I can see Terry worrying over the fate of his hand made pastels...he's just the type, I think! :D Well, start saving some pennies NOW toward coming to Santa Fe a year from this August! Should give you plenty of time...it's a fairly long day's drive up, but not as bad as coming all the way up here. Hopefully, gas prices will go down by then! Just think...you'd get to meet Kitty Wallis, Deborah, countless others. It's well worth the trip; you could even drag hubby along and HE might enjoy it, as well!

HarvestMoon
04-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Ok, the oven broke, the brakes went out on the car, the kids needed new clothes, dog to the vet, graduation presents, stuff for a week long class field trip hiking. I have to confess I have pretty much full sets of almost everything out there having had a FRESH credit card which will take my lifetime to now pay off. I am going to FORGET Roches and enjoy my pastels, my very favorite being Mount Vision, which if you have not tried are in my book the best out there, GA's being second and Schmicke being third. Yes, have really tried ALL the others but Roche! Ok, so much for 'true confessions' :cat: The GOOD news is someone took several of my paintings to hang in her new store with a PRICE TAG on them!!!

Khadres
04-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Ok, the oven broke, the brakes went out on the car, the kids needed new clothes, dog to the vet, graduation presents, stuff for a week long class field trip hiking. I have to confess I have pretty much full sets of almost everything out there having had a FRESH credit card which will take my lifetime to now pay off. I am going to FORGET Roches and enjoy my pastels, my very favorite being Mount Vision, which if you have not tried are in my book the best out there, GA's being second and Schmicke being third. Yes, have really tried ALL the others but Roche! Ok, so much for 'true confessions' :cat: The GOOD news is someone took several of my paintings to hang in her new store with a PRICE TAG on them!!!

Good luck on sellin' some stuff! Always makes one feel good, even if it doesn't quite pay the credit card balance off in full!

HarvestMoon
05-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Ok, so I got a couple. They are indeed in plastic. Took the first one out carefully, and the bottom half slid to the floor and crushed. Second one did the same but I was ready and caught it- then it bounced and hit the floor. OK, so I have no coordination. But tried the rest of the sticks as highlights on some paintings and honestly cannot see what the big deal is to make them worth the money even if I was famous! I am much happier with several other brands. But I just had to see......