MY COMMENTS:
my 12 year old
tall, thin and growing up

the blue is less evident than this digital pic shows

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything

LisaArt
01-21-2005, 05:07 AM
Caroline, somehow this brought a little tear to my eye..
It is Gorgeous, tender and masterly done...
I love how you outline, handle your brush and your use of colour. Everything is such in harmony. Wish I could paint like you.. :)
You captured that awkward age entering into adolescence

You know, I would not want to be that age again, it is difficult, and in such fast and changing times we live in today, it seems all the more difficult then when I was 12..

matteus
01-21-2005, 05:35 AM
Hi Caroline.

I like this... a lot.

//matt

chammi kaiser
01-21-2005, 07:16 AM
:wave: This is lovely. I particularly like the various colours and movement in the hair. The green of the dress is stunning with the reddish gold hair. What more can I say except totsiens. Chammi.

Gilberte
01-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Meisje ...

Charming profile of a teenager daughter ? Good work on the hair ...
body a bit small in comparison to the head ? Don't know really...
Hurry, hurry, hurry ... I'm allowed half an hour to browse coz all that software still has to be installed on this new XP.... (sigh)
See you presto .... or later and keep going !

Wayne Gaudon
01-21-2005, 09:36 AM
:clap: nice little piece of work

pipicacassosso
01-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Ahhhhhhh!!
And the detail shows so well how sure and free you are with your brush, Caroline.
I can't help but think about Bonnard and/or Vuillard and/or Redon when I see your work. Nice.

Jim Updegraff
01-21-2005, 10:11 AM
What a sweet and affectionate piece. It is really good work. The profile and treatment of the eye is particularly effective. Good lose minimal brush work. Tremendous negative space.

Tamana
01-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Just beautiful, Caroline. I only wish I had painted when mine were young. I have photos, but it's not the same as moments. To capture the metamorphosis of growth is magical. I think I already said it, but Just beautiful. :)

LarrySeiler
01-21-2005, 10:45 AM
this is a wonderful piece of work...

I do have some suggestions, though perhaps more to register for next time.

In a piece like this where you have a strong single subject against a plain negative open space background of one color, it may be well to consider toning your entire canvas perhaps nearer to the color of your subject and then as you paint the color of your background color over this, allow transparency and various places for that color to come thru.

For example, the bit of color seen just above the left shoulder helps to tie some of the girl in with the background and the background into her.

You have hints of the background greens seen in her hair, yet in the skin small hints likewise could be made which will one, help affirm the presence of moisture in the skin (moisture reflects nearby prominent areas of color), and two would help weave the background and subject into each other.

Such interweaving creates more continuity between the two planes and creates the presence of air or atmosphere which we better feel the girl placed into.

A bit like music...the notes that repeat act as a unifying force, like rhythm sections and melody. Call them color notes whose purpose is visually to pull together.

I like that tiniest of little break in the line of the little girls far left side, but by allowing some background green to be more intermittent or breaking up of that line you would push that side of the girl's body back more in space and create more depth illusion.

Darks go lighter as they go back, and I'm not sure that the dark of the interior of the collar needs to be quite so dark, or if at least some part of the hair in shadows might not work to be made darker. For one it would distribute some notes again for the eye to travel about the painting, but since darker darks come toward the viewer, it would give more solidity and presence to the girl's head. At the same time, you might even be able to slightly play the darker value down just a bit.

IMOH that darker forward collar nearer the chin commands a bit too much attention and makes it difficult for the eye to rest upon her face. It's a voice that shouts quite a bit I think.

overall...wonderful, what a great tribute, and having done one of my son when he was 4 years of age and now 23...they really love looking back at those and want to claim them for later years in life.

Larry

Spyderbabe
01-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Lisa said everything that I know and Larry said everything that I hope to know so ....I'll just add again, lovely painting. And is your daughter pleased with it?

Rieko
01-21-2005, 12:08 PM
It's just fascinating. It's fresh and beautiful. I like the dark color inside the collar which make this painting well-balanced.

I can't quit watching...

Michael-Ann
01-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Caroline this is marvelous! No crits from me, what a beautiful piece of work!

haaf
01-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Lisa.. thanks... especially for the tear, I hoped people would get the feeling.
Must say I'm glad not being twelve again too, confident where i am right now ,on the other hand the relative carefreeness at that age and just jumping in for the fun of it is something to strive for, it's difficult though with all the knowledge of experience.
Matt, Chammi, Gilberte and Wayne..thanks , really appreciate it!!
(Gilberte..you are showing signs of withdrawal :D )
Pi..thanks..too much honor..hope to move towards that direction, it felt good though, it dictated itself and that means loosening up to me!
Jim..thanks for your lovely words
Tam..just beautiful does it for me..thanks lady
Larry..thanks for your nice words and the time you took to critique my work, really appreciated!
As for your comments on the background..it's funny that you addressed that particular point. Over the summer I was working in my paintings more towards isolation of the objects, clarifying large area's. I wanted the object to sit on a plane and be really, really clear about that. Let's say........ something in the style of Wayne Thibaud.
I am just coming back from that idea at the moment and carefully introducing some "notes" in the background without distracting attention, hence the more structure in the background , I even introduced some red and darker greens in the background as you did suggest, probably too subtle yet to be noticed ,just have a look at the attachment and you will see a hint of it.
I do get your point though and am paying attention too it and will in the future, as far as I feel right now it has to be very very subtle and I hope to get a more instant satisfaction and result when I'll do my next painting with an underpainting in acrylics, anyway that's the plan.
As for the dark patches in collar , I tried to apply in order to get a nice connection to eyebrows and darker patches in the hair and outline of shirt.
It looks like the thicker application of the paint (some delicious mars red from Blocxs) in the collar area attracts more attention, at least in the pic. Will have a look at the original.
Again thanks Larry..points wel taken.
Kathleen..thanks and......yes she loves it! She is a lovely kid I must say
Rieko..thanks , have as many looks as you want that's why it's been made
Michael Ann..thanks lady, must say I'm happy with it too, good that my intent shows.
Good weekend all!!
Caroline ;)

katelynalain
01-21-2005, 12:23 PM
beautiful rendering. so fresh and revealing. i guess i'm just echoing the others..but this is just great. wonderful painting, and wonderful subject matter. you have captured something special. oh what it's like to be 12. time is such a funny thing and you've made it stand still. you will be glad you did... ;)
i guess we can talk about subject matter so easily here because you've done such a good job with the painting itself. great work.

TScottDove
01-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Absolutely beautiful. Such a light touch, with just enough detail and information.
Especially love the square format and composition.

artbabe21
01-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Love the loose, soft feel to it & tenderness of a child/woman well loved. I agree with Tam, I wish I had painted my own at this age OR any other! :D

Hey, Matt...good to see you....I am keeping you & William in my thoughts & prayers... :wink2:

Artistanne
01-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Caroline, this is simply stunning. You've captured perfectly that stage between child and teenager--fantastic work and so full of feeling. Bravo.

Dhuot
01-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Caroline !!

I am speechless !!!!!!
I love this painting !!

So, after reading all, I must paint Annabelle one day ey ???
Hum !

The backgroung works QUITE A LOT for me...
The red cheek really gives us the impression of adolescence...plus, she`s looking down in a nonchalant way....adolescence
I like the cropped image of the ear.
Oh ! And the backround again !!

Her hair is awsome :clap:
I like the skin tone colours a lot...
Gezelig.... :D

This painting is awsome
You really have it in you

I hope she is very happy

Larry !! I liked this sentence a lot...

" A bit like music...the notes that repeat act as a unifying force, like rhythm sections and melody. Call them color notes ..."

Bravo Caro

Daniel

Frida200
01-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Oooooh, what can I say?
I love this... the contrast between the lemony background and the red cheek! :clap:
Hair is awesome.
Got the mood... sigh, I remember that time, wait, two more years... :eek:

No wonder she loves it, this is a wonderful portrait. So much life in it, quietly.

Great great great!!!
Claudia

jerryW
01-21-2005, 09:05 PM
shapes colors sentiment angles vantage point and most of all personality.
these pains are mostly just enduring people who are not yet ready to see the fullness of humanity inside.
a good heart
great bones too

Esmeralinda
01-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Ohhhhhhh, I am so late to comment. But honestly I just love the whole painting exactly as it is. It has a Van Gogh touch and he is one of my fav.
Love the background and pose and colours very much. This is perfect to me. :clap: :clap:

Linda :wave:

dornberg
01-22-2005, 01:10 AM
the greens and browns are worked to strong contrast

haaf
01-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Katelyn..thank you for the compliments
Hi Scott..thank you and looking forward to see some new work from you
Cathleen.. thank you, and you can still paint them now can't you ..just look at that possibility.
Anne..thanks and did you visit the new (revised) MOMA yet?
Daniel.. :p Mr number one cheerleader! and much appreciated and of course you will have to paint yr lovely daughter..like a mini A......... . Just had another look at her ear, and that's the way they are..often a little red and still somewhat babysoft.(ahwwww) She considers it a cool painting , so i'm happy.
Claudia..thanks for seeing and noticing!
Jerry..thank you and must say she has a very exppressive face and is photogenic.
Linda..thank you and the colors probably remind you of van Gogh touch
Bob..thank you and the contrast can evoke so much emotion, I like that
Caroline ;)