GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: out of the shadows
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 10x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I call this "Out of the Shadows - for all the survivor/overcomers I have known" Sort of a therapy piece I guess, a composite of all my adult women friends and all the foster kids I cared for who have survived childhood sexual abuse.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Why did I paint this? After all who would want it as a reminder of where they have come from , on their wall? Is it just too personal or does it speak to anyone out there? Are there some subjects that are best left alone?

chammi kaiser
01-20-2005, 04:49 PM
:wave: Why not paint what is obviously close to your heart? The face has a wonderful luminous quality . There is just one thing that bothers me slightly and that is that the right eye is in the light and the iris should be lighter than the left. I was drawn to this painting and looked at it several times before posting. A really super painting. Chammi.

A Few Pigments
01-20-2005, 04:59 PM
A beautiful, haunting painting competently rendered. I can relate to this since I also know victims of domestic abuse. I’m sure this will mean a great deal to a great many people. It is worth much more then the time and effort it took you to paint it. Thank you.

Wayne Gaudon
01-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Even without an explanation it's a very powerful piece .. great work all around. :clap: I don't know how you got so huge a picture in there .. it's so huge I can't see the whole thing at once and I'm set at 1024 x 768

Spyderbabe
01-20-2005, 05:23 PM
It's a strong piece - haunting. But without your explanation we would not necessarily attach any of that story to it, but have our own interpretation.
Are you donating it to a fund raiser for victims of abuse? It's not just about where they're coming from, but where they're going.
The right side speaks to hope and light but I'm wondering if the bricks are almost too different on each side. (It is HUGE hard to see it all at once)
"Are there some subjects that should be left alone?" No. If you feel it in your heart I think you should paint it.

Dana Design
01-20-2005, 05:58 PM
This is very beautiful but very sad.

Beautifully painted, also.

dawnell
01-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Very powerful piece.... Emotionally captivating. Doesn't need an explanation. The expression felt in the face tells all. Exceptional.

nice work!

SMViolano
01-20-2005, 06:24 PM
I see a lot of symbolism in this work it is really sublte and as others have mentioned- haunting.

As one whose good friend who died due to domestic violence the lack of solid body speaks of a void of identitiy, esteem and value. The eyes are empty- the soul smothered for protection.

The home, brick windows speak of the false illusion of safely a home can offer but sometimes a home is merely a tool used to hide the crime from the eyes of others. There is more too-

The most interesting aspect is that much of the feeling it is picked up without the explaination given- it has emotion and soul.

This is a special painting. Thanks for sharing such a personal work.

katelynalain
01-20-2005, 08:10 PM
hello,
this is beautiful and touching..and you have some incredible skill with paint. nice job all around. agree with the others! great work.

jerryW
01-21-2005, 02:41 AM
well done but too scary for me

minihorse
01-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Thank you everybody...that's WAY more positive feedback than I ever anticipated. I really appreciate the encouragement. I have made some prints up, 14x18 matted and mailed one to a center in Moncton NB dedicated to helping prostitutes out of the lifestyle. Did not hear back from them so dont know how it was received there.
Kathi

Dhuot
01-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Well.............phew !!!
Even without an explanation, it is So powerful...

The right eye doesn`t bother me at all....au contraire, it is in that eye tha rely the most of it`s " tragic " side.....

Très très bien peint !!!

Bravo

Daniel

Moncton ey ??
Magnetic !! ha ha ha

strychnine
01-22-2005, 01:19 AM
Wow! I agree with what others have said; even without an explanation, your meaning comes through loud and clear.

If the girl were portrayed as simply looking out the window, this painting would seem more like a single moment captured in time (and therefore a lot less heartwrenching); but the way you've superimposed the girl's face overtop of the house makes it so much more haunting. It's as if the relationship between the girl and the house--a place where awful things happened to her--continues on and on forever. You've painted the emotional truth of the situation.

It's true that this isn't the sort of thing most people would want on their wall, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely; not everyone wants their art to be soothing. I think you're on the right track, though, with using prints of it to help raise awareness. If you ask me, this piece would be OUTSTANDING as an illustration for a magazine article about abuse or a poster advertising a helpline or shelter.