PDA

View Full Version : Captain Jack

SMViolano
01-20-2005, 03:00 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-20-2005/39317_Capt.Jack5x7.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-20-2005/39317_JACK.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-20-2005/39317_alligator.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Captain Jack
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Here for your critique (And Amusement) is a charity painting for Jack- yet another homeless dog in a Los Angeles Animal Shelter.

Here is his story to explain the humor in the painting:
(Sorry it is so long)
They say every painting has a story to tell- and this one is the story of Jack- and the story is true.

Jack lived in poor conditions with three other sweet and loving pit-bulls.

At some point in his short life he broke his front leg badly. His owners cared enough at that time to take him in to a Veterinarian and have his leg re-set with a metal plate and screws. Unfortunately his treatment and that of his fellow dogs spiraled downward from there.

As his leg was healing it was again horribly shattered. For reasons unknown his owners no longer felt he deserved to be given veterinary care. Without the humane veterinary care he needed his painfully twisted leg fused as his body attempted to heal itself. His suffering was compounded when infection later set in.

To make matters worse he and his fellow dogs became malnourished as meals became scarce- they all quickly lost weight but through all the neglect they still loved people unconditionally.

Some weeks later Animal Control was alerted to the condition of the four dogs and immediatly impounded them- taking them to the Los Angeles County Animal Shelter in Agoura Hills where they were fed and given preliminary medical care. Jack is now comfortable and on antibiotics.

His roomates were soon adopted but Jack's leg is too badly damaged to repair. He desperately needs surgery to amputate his leg so that he could lead a normal life and hopefully be adopted out like his fellow roomates were.

To credit his sweet and loving nature- shortly after his rescue he went to a special Christmas Adoption Clinic and gave out kisses to anyone willing to pay him attention.

He really is a special boy who deserves a chance.

Footnote: He has had the surgery but it is yet to be paid for so I will sell this painting for that cause.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Should the sail be brighter? Should I add anything?
Is anything off?

haaf
01-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Yes.........indeed for my amusement !!
He should definately be the main
side kick in "Pirates of the Caribbean" part two.
You gave him a ghost-like appearance.
great
Caroline ;)

chammi kaiser
01-20-2005, 04:13 PM
:clap: Good for you giving Jack a place in history. Poor chap, what a sad history. Perhaps a little shadow behind his ear would make him look a little prouder. Chammi.

Spyderbabe
01-20-2005, 04:15 PM
I hope this very clever painting brings in lots of dubloons for the old sea dog. Good job!

chammi kaiser
01-20-2005, 04:25 PM
:clap: Good for you giving Jack a place in history. Poor chap, what a sad history. Perhaps a little shadow behind his ear would make him look a little prouder. Chammi.

shirleyq
01-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Hi Stella :wave: Where've you been, girl?

The only thing that I would like to see you change on this painting is to make the splash on the bow be a little bit more splashy...........now it looks a little stiff, almost plastic like.

Otherwise, a fine painting for a good cause. :)

Frida200
01-20-2005, 06:58 PM
agree on the shadow behind his ear... because as it is now, the hat looks too dominant for me. I know it's a black hat and white dog, LOL, but I think you could darken the shadows on him just a tiny little bit, and it would balance it more.
Other than that, I think it is really really well done, and what a good reason to paint it!!!
I totally adore how youpainted the ship, btw :clap:

Claudia

Michael-Ann
01-20-2005, 08:09 PM
I love this painting as it is! The only thing I might be inclined to add is a gromet in the sail with a line or something coming from the corner to some sort of pulley/lead/tie off thingee on the rail?

I found one picture, but this is more modern rigging than one would see on a ship like the one you painted. http://www.sailingusa.info/images/fair_lead_2.jpg

This is such a cool painting and you do such wonderful things with your talent!

Cheers Stella!

Esmeralinda
01-20-2005, 08:52 PM
This is all so wonderfull. Sounds like a Walt Disney story.
I'm glad Jack has a special friend like you.

Grrrrrrrreat job ! :clap:

Tamana
01-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Stella I can't add to the critiques anymore than what's been given; so I'll just say two things: It's wonderful to see your work again. And it's a beautifully selfless cause. My feeling is that the surgery will be paid for and he will find a home. :)

LisaArt
01-21-2005, 04:17 AM
Hi Stella :wave: Fantastic work. :clap: My favourite of yours,
what a sad story indeed. I'm also glad Jack has a special talented friend like you. :)

Gilberte
01-21-2005, 09:29 AM
:clap:
Stella, you did it again !!!!!!!!!!!! Your charity or dog paintings are adorable !
What to critique ? Wouldn't dare to ...........

pero lane
01-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Just wanted to say (for the second time today!) that this is a winner Stella!! :clap:

SMViolano
01-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks so much everyone!

I have been in my studio painting every spare moment for three national art shows so I have not been able to chat and hang out.
I only have one major painting left and a week to finish it but wanted some feedback on "Captain Jack" before I listed him.

Caroline, HA HA HA!! He sure would look good in the movie wouldn't he?
I will pass that on the the shelter volunteers- they will get a kick out of that!

Frida and Chammi- I will add some shadow behind the ear- this could balance the hat a bit better- THANKS!! I did not see that at all!

HI SHIRLEY!!!! :wave: What are you painting now? Thanks for the suggestion in the bow wave- I will have to find a photo as I was winging it *Grin* Thanks!

Michael-Ann, HI!!!! :wave: Thanks so much for that photo- I knew there must be something on the deck- and I had thought about the rope-tying-thingies but would not know where to put them! Thanks for the photo. IT will be easy to add such things loosely and will add to the authenticity of the painting. Thanks!

Esmeralinda, LisaArt, Tamana, Gilberte THANKS SO MUCH! I feel more confident listing this painting knowing you all like it!

HI PAT!!! :D

brushstroked
01-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Any dog who has been through such rough seas is sure to make a wonderful companion. You've painted Jack's story beautifully, and I wish him the best.

Hugs to you, Stella. You must be a kindred spirit. :)

Edit: By the way, I want you to know I saved this painting to my desktop. I hope you don't mind.

:wave:

SMViolano
01-22-2005, 01:25 AM
I am flattered that you liked it enough to save it!

Thanks for the input!