PDA

View Full Version : My Island

Anonymous
01-20-2005, 01:28 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-20-2005/52322_WC-My_Island.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: My Island
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12X12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A creation of my imagination. I guess I wanted to be her alone on my Island.
Had one of those days!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything !

SMViolano
01-20-2005, 02:51 PM
I would like to be alone on such an island too!

Your water colors are wonderful- I like the composition.

Do we know you :cool:

Mikey
01-20-2005, 04:17 PM
I think you must have got there with this one. I still say that women are best painting the female form. A beautiful painting and I just can't think of any crits.

Mikey

Dhuot
01-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Hello L.....

When I saw it, I thought too much blue...but no, the intense blue works good.

Très beau

Là , il n`y a pas beaucoupd de neige...sigh :)

mclean
01-20-2005, 06:16 PM
All the colors here, with a few exceptions, are super-saturated to the point that the painting looks overly busy. This use of color coupled with your handling of paint is pretty extreme One possibility is that I'm not seeing some of the subtler color themes here, because there appears to be a glare. Was this taken with a digital camera? Or is this a slide reproduction?

I suppose that the overall painting seems more festive than restful. From what you've typed, this could a problem for you. But then again I'm young, so there's always the chance that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Frida200
01-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Now, whoooooooooo could this be?
:D
I agree that the mood created by the palette seems to not really match the mood you describe with the painting... mais je l'aime quand-même, very much. Feels windy! Like a nice sea breeze...

:wave:
Claudia

katelynalain
01-20-2005, 07:15 PM
the colors work for me! i love the bright contrasts and you've done a wonderful job on her body and gesture. honestly. this has your name written all over it. and that's good. so much movement. almost dizzying in a very real sort of way. i like what you've captured.

Frida200
01-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Oh, I did not say the colors don't work! No no no!!!
They are beautiful. Just not very depressed... :D
C.

Michael-Ann
01-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Joyous color and rich texture... no cares, no worries, no distractions. This is a "happy place" fer me...makes one want to dance and sing in solitary celebration.

Esmeralinda
01-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi guys,

All these comments were a pleasure to read. Lots of fun ! Thank you so much.

I did start this painting 3 days ago when I was a little depressed (lot of things going on) but then felt better the next day and put in more bright colours. The pic is brighter than in reality though.

"Hello L....." that obious ummm !
"that women are best painting the female form"
"Now, whoooooooooo could this be? "
"this has your name written all over it"

I'm really happy you discovered me. Means I'm starting to have a signature (style). Got to be true with one self, right ? :wink2:

"But then again I'm young, so there's always the chance that I have no idea what I'm talking about."

Not at all Mclean; it's my mind which is too busy and I'm not so OLD :(

Thanks again. This was so much fun. :D :wave:

Tamana
01-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Hello, Linda :) Just gorgeous. You know, your landscapes are wonderful and take the mind to places unseen by the eye; however, your figures take the heart to a place rarely felt. :) Looks like paradise to me.

LisaArt
01-21-2005, 04:22 AM
Hello, Linda :) Just gorgeous. You know, your landscapes are wonderful and take the mind to places unseen by the eye; however, your figures take the heart to a place rarely felt. :) Looks like paradise to me.

I echo Tam on this....And Oh Linda, I knew it was you. :D
Beautiful style. :D

mclean
01-21-2005, 08:12 AM
- I didn't mean to imply anything about you being of a certain age- what I was getting at is that i'm 19, a sophmore in college, and am pretty inexperienced to the bigger scheme of things in fine art. thats all.

I also hope that i'm not coming off as rude or snide in my posts- it looks like i'm the only one who felt the way I did, which shows me now that I wasn't looking at the work the right way. I guess without being familiar with your larger body of work, its difficult for me to know where you're going with it. By default I just sort of implement my own (less developed) ideas on painting. And I only throw out so many critiques in the hope that something I say can benefit the artist, I take no pleasure in blatanty complaining.

Anyway, I'll try to get in the groove of WetCanvas, and be more observant of ideas and attitudes on here before I throw my "advice" out.

Esmeralinda
01-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Tam, what a nice thing to say. Makes me feel so good and gives a boost of confidence for sure. :)

Lisa, thank for your comments also. You're so sweet ! :wink2:

As for you Mclean; :evil: hi hi hi. Don't you worry yourself. You did not hurt my feelings. I have two boys your age and get teased. Your critiques and comments are fine and I never thought you were rude, really! Sometimes I do make my paintings too busy and I appreciated what you said. So please don't stop commenting but never again mention my age......LOL LOL LOL :D :D

Linda :wave:

Mikey
01-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Linda, there's no hiding place, yes it was you at a glance.

McLean, have you got a first name we can use? Come along and crit my paintings all you like, but be warned I sometimes answer back. :D

Mikey

haaf
01-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi Linda
No doubt it was you. Good and daring use of color, nice textures much apppreciated.
I cannot help seeing this picture and thinking about the over-romanticised
pre-historic novel "the clan of the cave bear" and the others published in this series, with Ayla as the main female hero. :D
I know it's a kind of rubbish-reading however I remember that in those years they were published me and my friends had a good summerholiday reading subject and we were all daydreaming about the good old primitive 'yet very romantic' times.
Caroline ;)

Gilberte
01-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Oh ma jolie (just saw your photograph in your profile) ...........

I couldn't guess the artist behind this work.
Good work, full of light and warmth, human form is almost perfect except maybe she should SIT a bit more on the heels ? Just wondering ...

Not so bright over here :
- le soleil a fermé la paupière
au jour doit succéder la nuit
que s'éteigne toute lumière
que s'évanouisse tout bruit ... (I once bought a pillow with these words) :wink2:

mclean
01-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Mikey- nah, McLean is the name that I go by, its not my last name. been my name since i was itty-bitty!

Esmeralinda
01-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi Mikey, happy you recognized my work ! :clap:

Caroline; Yes, Ayla, I read the first tome and loved it for the story but especially the historical side. so good. I am reading "Highlander" now, by Gabaldon. Also love the history and well you know the LOVING stuff. ;)
Thanks for your great comments.

Ma gentille Gilberte, Merci beaucoup ! I am working on my self-portrait right now, not easy. wave: I will check the sitting position again. C'est gentil les p'tits mots.

i was itty-bitty! Not so long ago ah! :D Just teasing.

Thanks again to you all. Very warming for my heart.

dornberg
01-22-2005, 01:13 AM
the paint creates atmosphere

Esmeralinda
01-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks for your short but very effective comment Dornberg.
Appreciate it always.

strychnine
01-22-2005, 06:14 PM
I also hope that i'm not coming off as rude or snide in my posts- it looks like i'm the only one who felt the way I did, which shows me now that I wasn't looking at the work the right way...

Anyway, I'll try to get in the groove of WetCanvas, and be more observant of ideas and attitudes on here before I throw my "advice" out.

Well, I can't speak for the original poster but I think it's GOOD when someone sees something different from the pack.

This reminds me of an anecdote: apparently, after the first screening of the movie Psycho, everyone was complimenting and congratulating Hitchcock on a job well done. Then his wife broke in and said (I paraphrase) "Dude! Hold up, Janet Leigh totally blinked when she was supposed to be dead." She turned out to be right. The moral of the story is that just because you're in the minority doesn't mean you're wrong. :)

For whatever it's worth, I don't think your posts come off as rude. And it's cute that you gave the "youth disclaimer." But then, I'm new here and probably need to "get in the groove" myself. :p

Esmeralinda
01-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Strychnine, very nice of you to comment on Mclean critiques, like you did. Probably made him feel good. I hope I did that also in my earlier post. Very thoughtful of you. :angel:

BTW, what do you think of my painting ? :D

jerryW
01-23-2005, 03:21 PM
a good fitting together is happenning amidst color work and textures than many can oly aspire to.
bravo

Esmeralinda
01-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Jerry, what a nice thing to say. Thank you so much.

Linda

strychnine
01-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Strychnine, very nice of you to comment on Mclean critiques, like you did. Probably made him feel good. I hope I did that also in my earlier post. Very thoughtful of you. :angel:

I am all about the love. :)

BTW, what do you think of my painting ? :D

Duh! How rude of me. :rolleyes: (I'm also all about the absent-mindedness)

I love the subject matter and composition of the painting and I think it's wonderful that you have such a distinctive style. You're adventurous in your use of colour (love the blues in this one!) and you slap that paint on with abandon--two things I personally need to work on. So, yes, I'm jealous. :)

I wonder, though, if the woman's thigh is proportionately a bit too large? Or maybe what I'm seeing is both thighs, but the back one hasn't been differentiated from the front one quite enough? I dunno. I'm like McClean--I tend to see things nooooooooobody else does. :p

Esmeralinda
01-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Don't worry, I forgive you. hi hi hi :D :D :D

I wonder, though, if the woman's thigh is proportionately a bit too large?

You might be right but I think it depends on what you are use to seeing as proportions. It is only the left thigh you see in full, the right one is seen between her left arm and waist. Her bum is almost sitting on her right heel. So she is either going to settle herself at that spot or get up. Hope you see what I mean.

Thank you very much for your great comments and critiques.