PDA

View Full Version : Red Shoes

Masque
01-20-2005, 11:48 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-20-2005/29882_Red_ShoesOC.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Red Shoes
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Painted from a photograph by Kate Schermerhorn with her permission. An early attempt to paint "implied detail". I'm aware that the perspective is off. My primary objective was to create a feeling of mystery for the viewer.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any and all feedback is welcomed.

Wayne Gaudon
01-20-2005, 12:54 PM
very nice .. I personally would turn the blue to grey as it is fighting too much for attention.

haaf
01-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Like it very much, great colors
I think it would benefit with a crop from the top, there
is too much going on which distracts from those marvellous
shoes imo.
Caroline ;)

artbabe21
01-20-2005, 03:47 PM
always a pleasure to view your work Gloria....agree with the crop, the top does take away from the terrific shoes. LOve your style! SA-WEET!

chammi kaiser
01-20-2005, 04:04 PM
:wave: Gloria, I like the blue on the shoes - wouldn't change it - has a sort of theatrical look to the tap shoes. Also agree that the painting would be better cropped as the shoes are just super. Chammi.

jerryW
01-21-2005, 02:43 AM
like the crop
the colors are working
the shapes are great
light is fun

LisaArt
01-21-2005, 04:33 AM
Oh Gloria, I really love that tourquoise blue, dont touch that.. :eek: It goes so well with the red shoes.
I do agree about the crop.
Colour harmony and technique is working so well here.
I have not crits..
This painting really makes me smile and I think of my old tap dancing shoes..but they were not nice and red like that.. ;)

Masque
01-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks, folks, for all your comments and pointers.

That blue at the top of the painting, spotted on the floor, and around the edge of the shoes is actually a green/blue (more green than blue). Camera distortion.

My color choice for the entire painting was reds and greens. I wondered if I could paint a composition using only shades, tints, and tones of those two colors and come up with something that didn't scream CHRISTMAS!! at me.

I thought your crop suggestion was a good idea and I was seriously considering it, but finally decided that though it defined the primary subject of the painting much better, the painting itself lost something. I found I liked the conflict created by that color and the bar across the top of that painted wood paneling.

Stay well.