PDA

View Full Version : Love My Framer

karen m
01-20-2005, 12:11 AM
I've been noticing a discussion about the suitability of frames for miniatures. I just thought that I would like to show you what my framer does for me. These are not especially good photos, but for those of you who took the time and trouble to look at my website, the two miniatures here will be familiar and have been done as reproductions in an edition of 300 each.

These are two of the unsold originals. Since they were not entered into the usual exhibition/competitions, I could frame them without worrying about making the frame dimensions to adapt to any specific requirements.

I have to say that I consider my framer to be just as much an artist as I. And he is worth his weight in gold. The presentations he provides for my work is certainly 'value added'. To my good fortune. ;)

Hope you enjoy.

blumoon
01-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Karen, these look wonderful. :) Unfortunately I cannot afford to frame professionally, and I am having a hard time finding good miniature frames around here, probably cause I don't know where to look. When I ask for miniature frames, even in some framing shops, people don't seem to be familiar with them. :( I know my frames are taking away from the work. Do you have any suggestions? I would love to hear them, if you do.

karen m
01-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Karen, these look wonderful. :) Unfortunately I cannot afford to frame professionally, and I am having a hard time finding good miniature frames around here, probably cause I don't know where to look. When I ask for miniature frames, even in some framing shops, people don't seem to be familiar with them. :( I know my frames are taking away from the work. Do you have any suggestions? I would love to hear them, if you do.

I have only a couple of ideas, and I don't think your frames are necessarily killing your work. The thing I recall is that they seem a bit dark and when juxtaposed closely to the work. My miniature stuff all has to be under glass, so requires a mat which puts a break between frame and picture. Which helps a bit. So, I'm wondering if you could just perhaps paint, or put a wash over the frames to tie them a bit more closely to the predominant colour of each picture. You could likely do it with the same acrylic paint you use in the work.

Another thought.....I have noticed that our local Walmart (not a plug...lol) has been showing a nice selection of both wood and 'wood-look' plastic frames. Most I've seen are uder $10. for the size you'd need.

One more thing....one or more of the companies from whom framers buy their framing have multiples of miniature frames which you can buy in a lot. I think 10 or 12 likely. They are just ends, but they are relatively inexpensive. If you can get a framer to look them up and let you know about them it would be good. Offhand I can't remember which company, but I could find out in a day or two.

I have to gather up some things to take to a gallery tomorrow, and I think I have a pic or two in store-bought frames, though professionally matted. If I find one, will post a pic.

My personal thought is that 'colour' is likely more important in this than the actual frame itself.

Hope this helps a bit. :)

blumoon
01-20-2005, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I am wondering about color of frames. Not sure how to choose which color would look best. Contrasting or not? I know my scans are too dark, although they don't look like it on my computer, and I am trying to remedy that. LOL.
Obviously I don't know much about framing, and now I need to learn, since catching the mini fever.
I was at Walmart, but they had nothing really smaller than 4X6 or 5X7 that didn't have teddy bears etc on them. I do want to learn to cut mats in fact I am trying to decide which mat cutter would work best for minis.
I have been on a few threads where this was being discussed, but haven't come to a conclusion as of yet.

wayfarer
01-20-2005, 10:51 AM
This place has miniature frames very reasonable.

http://www.miniartsupply.biz/

Chris

karen m
01-20-2005, 11:10 AM
This place has miniature frames very reasonable.

http://www.miniartsupply.biz/

Chris

Yes....very reasonable, especially for the wood ones. Also see there's a discount for certain quantities.

Good link. Hopefully will be helpful to blumoon. And thanks. :wave:

Bertoni
01-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Karen: Your framer does a superb job. :clap: His framing shows up your miniatures beautifully! I too wish I could put out the $$ for professional framing!
Michaels Arts & Crafts is a good place to find some nice mini frames!

karen m
01-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Karen: Your framer does a superb job. :clap: His framing shows up your miniatures beautifully! I too wish I could put out the $$ for professional framing!
Michaels Arts & Crafts is a good place to find some nice mini frames!

Yes....he's super. Also younger than me so hopefully will outlive me and I can count on him being around for awhile... :wink2:

Thanks for the info re Michael's. They are new here and at the moment am not doing work which requires framing so haven't checked them out. Generally speaking, though, I avoid them like the plague. Very overpriced when it comes to many things, namely gallery-wrap canvas. And even with their 40 and 50% off coupons. Maybe they are a bit better with prices in the States.

Oops. Digressing. :rolleyes:

Bertoni
01-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Yes....he's super. Also younger than me so hopefully will outlive me and I can count on him being around for awhile... :wink2:

Thanks for the info re Michael's. They are new here and at the moment am not doing work which requires framing so haven't checked them out. Generally speaking, though, I avoid them like the plague. Very overpriced when it comes to many things, namely gallery-wrap canvas. And even with their 40 and 50% off coupons. Maybe they are a bit better with prices in the States.

Oops. Digressing. :rolleyes:
FYI: This is a Michaels frame for 2x3s priced $3.99 that I use a lot.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/28168-Tuscany_2x3_framed.jpg Without the painting of course! LOL :)

karen m
01-20-2005, 02:57 PM
FYI: This is a Michaels frame for 2x3s priced $3.99 that I use a lot.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/28168-Tuscany_2x3_framed.jpg Without the painting of course! LOL :)

Super. Can't beat that. Very nice painting too. ;)

PineTreeGirl
01-20-2005, 05:25 PM
I had been wondering about framing possibilities as I get more enthralled with the miniature world. I flip flop on the use of a mat. For some reason I think of some paintings even if small should be framed the same way you would a large version. Would a large version require a matt?

I have bought frames at Walmart or at a discount closeout place. It is hard finding frames that aren't 'tacky' looking. Aesthetics I suppose like everything else has a personal viewpoint.

MaryAnn

Dharma_bum
01-21-2005, 05:26 AM
I've been noticing a discussion about the suitability of frames for miniatures. I just thought that I would like to show you what my framer does for me. These are not especially good photos, but for those of you who took the time and trouble to look at my website, the two miniatures here will be familiar and have been done as reproductions in an edition of 300 each.

These are two of the unsold originals. Since they were not entered into the usual exhibition/competitions, I could frame them without worrying about making the frame dimensions to adapt to any specific requirements.

I have to say that I consider my framer to be just as much an artist as I. And he is worth his weight in gold. The presentations he provides for my work is certainly 'value added'. To my good fortune. ;)

Hope you enjoy.

Karen---These are exquisite.

MaryAnn---It is generally said that framing such as this adds "importance" to the piece. A small painting in a small frame can easily get lost (visually) in a room, whereas pieces like this scream "look at me!". This is generally done for watercolors or acrylic on paper, though don't see why it couldn't be done for works on unstretched canvas as well.

Framers like to do this because they can charge a LOT more for the job. If you have clients with deep pockets, no reason not to try it.

Dan

karen m
01-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Busy morning here, but I was rooting through the storage box and found these two which are in store-bought frames. Neither frame cost more than $10. And, amazingly, both of these won awards. (Funny how the award-winners don't necessarily sell). :confused:

For some reason 'Time Out', which has a small bit of metallic ink in the image and is in a suede mat...looks a bit askew. Sorry about that...need to fix, I guess.

My framer cut the mats and put them into their frames. Cost was negligible.

Here you go.

Newwings
01-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Karen, both your work and your framer's are wonderful, and his complements yours beautifully. The second presentation is especially innovative and unique. Thanks for sharing these!

Mark
http://markreep.net

karen m
01-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Thank you Mark. :)

I have just gone to your website and have it bookmarked to go back and take a much longer look. The images are lovely. And the framing you present them in is just right too!