GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Snow in 2 colors + white
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I am still working on a snow picture before winter ends.. have had a time to get something even close to presentable. This one I used brown blue and white for the only colors and gave it a go. working with values and more BASIC's.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What ever?

LisaArt
01-20-2005, 03:58 AM
Hi Rodney, This is superb. Only two colors, yet so much atmosphere and depth. I can really feel the deep winter freeze.. :clap:

haaf
01-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Good play with light here.
It looks brown and blue to me, the two colors used almost too separated imo, a little more blending of the two would make a nice marriage between the two.
Caroline ;)

cryla
01-20-2005, 05:42 AM
Hi Rodney
I like this one, you've done the landscape beautifully and you've really captured the essence of a cold winter's day.

But... I think you need to bring more brown into the blue and more blue into the brown to stop the picture splitting into sky and land. At the moment my eyes are separating it into two pictures - a skyscape and a landscape.

Wayne Gaudon
01-20-2005, 09:19 AM
great values .. the color seperation doesn't work for me. I would like to the the colors intermingled and mixed.

Tamana
01-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Sharp bitter cold - hard-edged and well done. The sky in the viewer's right contains the blue that I think the others wish to see more distributed througout the rest. I do agree that even though it may be a heavy front/snow/ice, there would still be some brown (according to my experiences) patches showing through in periodic places.

It's an excellent painting that depicts a great silence and mood and attests to the power of winter.

Rodney
01-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Hi Rodney
I like this one, you've done the landscape beautifully and you've really captured the essence of a cold winter's day.

But... I think you need to bring more brown into the blue and more blue into the brown to stop the picture splitting into sky and land. At the moment my eyes are separating it into two pictures - a skyscape and a landscape.

Thanks ALL for the input.
not sure how to solve the blending problem { or understand accually what you are trying to say} excuse me for my lack of artistic lingo.
do I simply need to add more lights with the darks and darks with the lights or is the colors with in the colors?
I did have a time keeping the seperation of colors and not ruin the edges which must have led me to the lack of blending.
oils are being a real challenge for me not to work the paint and loose the detail I have created. it will come with practice I hope.
with taking out may of the colors I have and using these 2 may help me with the fundimentals I so need to learn.
no excuses but I think this new camera I have really changes the look of the picture, the pictures I have taken look much harsher { I guess is the word} than my picture, which looks somewhat softer.

Thanks again for your kind words and guidance. it is really apperaceted. :wave:
Rodney

Wayne Gaudon
01-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Rodney .. it's the mixing of the colors.

What color do you get when you mix your brown and blue with blue dominant? What color do you get with the mix if brown is dominant.
You now have 4 colors plus white with which to work. Using the blue dominant mixture for your colds and using the brown dominant for your warms and then you can make different values of these.

For example: In your version your sky is warm and the rest of the painting is cold. That can't happen. The earth will reflect the sky, especially snow and water. That bank across the water would be a good place to put your center of interest as you could lay in some nice warm snow on that bank and it would contrast lovely against those big greens (I'm suspecting that if you use a umber as a brown you will get a green when dominant with blue) .. add a little brown to the tree on the lower brances .. ah .. the fun of painting.

Hope this helps in some way.

haaf
01-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Wayne........all the above sounds delicious..really like in a good cookbook,
and a passionate painter cook you are!
Caroline ;)

Spyderbabe
01-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Rodney - this is really impressive. You have developed so much as a painter in the past few months. Go back and look at "Mazatlan" or even "Christmas Morning out my Back Door" and you'll see how this exercise with a limited palette has you growing! Keep up the great work.

PS snow picture before winter ends ENDS!? It's just really getting started here. Better buy more white paint :D

cryla
01-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi Rodney
Sorry didn't mean to confuse.... if you just reflect some of the sky colour into the water in the foreground that would unify the picture.

giniaad
01-20-2005, 01:06 PM
great crits here...(just adding my 2cents)
color/temperature integration is key
(read wayne again)
careful/selective browns into the landscape
(including water)

the forms are fine
that sky is awesome

cheers!

Rodney
01-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Rodney .. it's the mixing of the colors.

What color do you get when you mix your brown and blue with blue dominant? What color do you get with the mix if brown is dominant.
You now have 4 colors plus white with which to work. Using the blue dominant mixture for your colds and using the brown dominant for your warms and then you can make different values of these.

For example: In your version your sky is warm and the rest of the painting is cold. That can't happen. The earth will reflect the sky, especially snow and water. That bank across the water would be a good place to put your center of interest as you could lay in some nice warm snow on that bank and it
would contrast lovely against those big greens (I'm suspecting that if you use a umber as a brown you will get a green when dominant with blue) .. add a little brown to the tree on the lower brances .. ah .. the fun of painting.

AAhhh, there may be a light, well.... a dim ember above my head.
I mixed the brown 2/3's with the blue 1/3 and left it at that and then worked with the white for my value changes.
I saw things were working sort of and guess I kind of choked. Of course I should move the blue - brown colors to cooler and warmer. I had a HUGE case of tunnel vision when painting.
It is exciting when a little progress is made {learning} then need to let things work together.
Thanks so much for spending time with the new guy.
yes I am having fun too. but couldn't be getting much of any where with out you all.
:wave:

Hope this helps in some way. More than you proabably will ever know!!

Rodney
01-21-2005, 12:24 AM
I gave this what I think was needed and suggested, but like a dummy I had the painting setting on the mantle behind the wood stove all night and day and the paint was almost dry when I got back to it which made things stick and drag more that I liked, I used a knive for most everything but the bushes the dead tree and some of the water.
I think I got it warmed up a bit but lost a lot of the reflections in the water. the brighter and warmer snow on the far bank was sure a nice suggestion thanks Wayne.
A lot to think about when painting even the simplest study. That's why I am doing these, to try and get things to come a little instinctively which of course will take a lot more practice and time. I am going to do another one similar to this and follow closer all of the suggestions to me.
thanks again for the help and look forward to more of your CC's
one other thing I did was to NOT use the auto color fix thing in the photo edit program which I did on the first picture.
I am not sure if it really helps.
think this picture is closer to the original.
Oh yes after looking at both pictures side by side the first one reads real blue compared to the original.. I thought the camera was not giving me an accurate picture but I was doing it myself.
bfnR :wave: