PDA

View Full Version : Lacey Eggs WIP

SweetBabyJ
01-19-2005, 09:25 PM
More eggs- what can I say? I liked the shot.

The photo has definate drawbacks, I've had to work with it extensively in psp to get it this far. But I was sooo attracted to the light and shadow play, and I think I can see enough of what I want in my head to pull it off. Maybe. We'll see anyway.

Photo reference:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/9169-Picture_612.jpg

Initial sketch and background lay-in; that lace was a whoooole lot easier than I figured it'd be- basically, lay-in the "behind" colour, then glaze over with a light off-white, then scumble in pattern with a very light-light, and a warmer ochre.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/9169-laceyeggs.jpg

Some details of the lace:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/9169-laceyeggsdet.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/9169-laceyeggsdet2.jpg

And where I'm at right now- starting on the eggs and bowl, laying in base colours and finding forms:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/9169-laceyeggswip2.jpg

Last pic is waaaay out of focus- it's dark here and I had to put the spot way back to avoid glare, which cut my light, which caused bad focusing... well, that's my story, anyway....

CarlyHardy
01-19-2005, 09:37 PM
I would say this is not one of those ordinary egg paintings :D That's the kind I do....this is dramatic and romantic all at the same time.

Think I'll pull up a seat and sit quietly to watch :)
carly

tURBOCAT
01-19-2005, 10:34 PM
OK. I have a seat now too!

Johnnie

khourianya
01-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Ohhhh...that lace is gorgeous, Julie (as if there was any doubt that it would be). Thanks for the rundown of how you achieved the look!

I am just gonna pull up my seat with these two and maybe get some popcorn started! :D

SweetBabyJ
01-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Well where's Dianna with the popcorn?!? It's not like I have time to make little quiche thingies....

At night, when I only have my spots, I generally just piddle around the edges a bit, adjusting this and that, fixing edges, little things, because the light is wrong for judging colour and value. Hint: Don't start a whole new area at night under different lighting unless you want to wake up to two different paintings in one in the morning. Since I'm waaaaaay north under perpetual clouds, I pretty much have north light every day even though the windows face east, and I "know my colours" under this light. So I also fiddled with the camera again, re-set white balance to compensate for a complete nighttime pic under horrible yellow light, and I think I got truer colour. 'Course, only way I can judge is knowing the paper is Wallis White- and if you've used it, you know it's a nice cool white. So I'm close, but not quite there.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/9169-laceyeggsWIP3.jpg

Tomorrow, I will have "depressingly gray, dishwater-coloured rain" light. Perhaps this is why I boost colour in my paintings: When I look out of the window, all I see is gray, gray, gray.

SweetBabyJ
01-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Oh good, Cori! I'm hungry. This isn't like, "naked" popcorn, is it? I like butter and salt on mine. :D (I am cholesterol's biggest fan)

If I can get a good shot tomorrow, I'll see about a better detail of the lace- I'm really pleased with it. I only put in "the real pattern" in three or four places, and then tonight strengthened the pattern of the shadows, so I *think* the viewer is fooled into seeing the whole pattern- not sure. I am, anyway.

Wonder if anyone has any homemade fudge to go with this popcorn?

khourianya
01-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Oh good, Cori! I'm hungry. This isn't like, "naked" popcorn, is it? I like butter and salt on mine. :D (I am cholesterol's biggest fan)...

...Wonder if anyone has any homemade fudge to go with this popcorn?

hmm..naked popcorn sounds disgusting..I need mine dripping with butter and salt! It's not really popcorn any other way...of course , I do have some dill pickle seasoning that comes in a close second :D

prestonsega
01-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Look at that lace shimmer in the sunlight!!! You're alway "hatching" up new things :D (har-har-har) I notice the sunlight shining ever so gently through the semi opaque shell..that's neat!. Who would have thought a picture of eggs would take on such a dreamy appearance.

t-sue
01-20-2005, 01:47 AM
Is there room for another chair? I'm bringing extra butter, and the soda... unless you want Pepsi... no gots! But I'll make fudge!!!!

WOW... a feast of learning here! And a feast for the eyes as well.... and refreshments are being served! This place is the greatest! Julie, you are a wonder!! Not only are your hands talented, but what you come up with in your fertile little brain to do with those hands is mind-boggling! Rather than stark white eggs, there is this soft warmth about them, and that wonderful glow. Elegance in groceries... who knew?

Now where did I put the chocolate and the marshmallow creme?

Nandie
01-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Hey neighbour to the south.... it's morning - WAKE UP!!!!

I'm sitting here with my Tim Horton's coffee (with double cream) waiting for the next installment.

Read your bio this morning and nearly fell over - giving creative birth on the dining room table well, the imagination runs wild with that one! (Wish I'd thought of it first LOL).

Ladies I don't have fudge, but I have home-made Almond bark in both dark and white chocolate. Take your pick!

I'll be back.... :wave:

khourianya
01-20-2005, 10:49 AM
unless you want Pepsi... no gots!

As long as you have Coke, I'm good to go!

t-sue
01-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Oh, Good Andrea! I love almond bark! And, :( I ate all the fudge last night waiting for the next installment! Sorry! :o

But I do Have Coke!!! :clap:

dexonsbabe
01-20-2005, 11:17 AM
you lot got room for a little one I'll even bring some home made apple pie and cream..........always love to watch Julies WIP this one looks to be another stunning one.............I am so :envy: :D

SweetBabyJ
01-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Geeez! No wonder I couldn't sleep! Y'all were having a party. Tell you what, keep everything going here, and I'll see if I can get some close-ups in decent light before it starts pouring rain.

I'll do what I can to show-and-tell what and how this is getting done.

Nandie
01-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Well finally, sleep head! I've been back to Tim Hortons already and I'm working on my second cup of coffee! I also got an apple-pecan danish, but I'm afraid I ate it all... more almond bark, anyone?

Sherry Richardson
01-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Julie,

Looking good so far. Always a treat to see one of your WIP's.

I'm off sweets today, though, I totally pigged out on Preston's cake and cupcakes, so I'll just have popcorn, please.

Andrea--I live near SUQUAMISH in Washington state. The name origins must be related somehow, can't quite remember how this minute. Do you ever receive mail with the town misspelled? Once we got a letter addressed to Squeamish, WA and it wasn't a joke.

Sherry

SweetBabyJ
01-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi Sherry! How's the grey up there? Just starting to rain here and the wind's picking up- joy.

Okay, amongst getting laundry started, cleaning up after Carl (a conure- cute, friendly and the messiest creature to have in a house!) getting dressed and all, I managed some outside pics which have nice, true colour. Now, hopefully, if Carl and Twitch (the cat) will quit taunting each other, I'll be able to work on this.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/9169-laceyeggsWIP3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/9169-LaceyEggsWIP3det1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/9169-LaceyEggsWIP3det2.jpg

l_wheat
01-20-2005, 01:32 PM
BEAUTIFUL .... as usual Im sure it'll a PERFECT piece. The lace is AWESOME

funkie
01-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Hi I was just wondering why you decided to put that lacy cloth coming out of the bowl like that. I am hoping that it won't be taking me out of the picture when you are finished because it is like a tornado now pulling me up and away.

Mags

ponting
01-20-2005, 01:54 PM
All right, all right I'm here....sheese I girl can't even take a day off.

A N D.......I brought a couple of friends AND the salt a vinegar.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/34523-popcorn.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/34523-popcorn.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/34523-popcorn.gif

Looking good so far but since you are going to answer it anyway :p I too will ask about the lacy panel.

Oh yes, and thanks for the shot in the arm that I read somewhere else :p

Cheers, Di

Nandie
01-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Andrea--I live near SUQUAMISH in Washington state. The name origins must be related somehow, can't quite remember how this minute. Do you ever receive mail with the town misspelled? Once we got a letter addressed to Squeamish, WA and it wasn't a joke.

Sherry

Yes I've heard of Suquamish, allong with Puyallup and a host of other funny names you guys have going there! Probably Indian names? Squamish here means "Mother of the Wind" in West Coast Salish. aptly named... it's very windy here, in fact we have some of the best wind surfing in North America! :) (Haven't received any mis-addressed mail tho....)

Well Julie, it's about time you got cracking on this (sorry, couldn't resist) now if Dianna would quit throwing popcorn from the back row maybe I could concentrate and learn something! p.s... just had a fried egg sandwich for brunch... looking at your picture made me hungry!

SweetBabyJ
01-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Punny, Andrea....

And as long as we're talking about weird Native American names for places up here, I'm always bemused by "Humptulips". I mean, d'ya think the Native Americans were maybe just having it on the Europeans??

Anyway, the rain slacked off for all of three minutes, so I dashed out for a daylight pic again. It's coming along now, down to where I can see the structure. The lace panel is there to give me the filtered light and wall shadows- I think now with the value structure down at the bottom, you can see it doesn't draw the eye as it did when it was the area of highest contrast. Shoot- I was more worried about that peak of cloth to the right of the bowl- that whole area was s'posed to be echoing scallop shapes, but it got away from me (fabric generally does- I let it go where it will, usually), so I've been a bit firmer with it and made it conform. *sigh* Teenagers- what can you do?

Think of the *colours* laid in down front as *values*- darks and lights- rather than hues. They're just placemarkers for me showing the value and relative warm/cool tones. If you look at the reference pic, you'll see that whole area is webbed with the crotcheted stuff- so it'll be down to pencils and harder pastels, soon. I usually try to avoid that, but for this one I'll have to dig out my pencils I'm pretty sure.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/9169-laceyeggsWIP4.jpg

Fried egg sammiches! *yum* But only with Miracle Whip....

*edit* I'll probably brush out and re-do the dark area to the far right where the high fabric meets low- it is distracting to me. I think something with much more subtle hills and vales will work a bit better.

jackiesimmonds
01-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Just popped by quickly, and will be interested to see if you can pull this one off, Julie - at the moment, to my eye, you have two pictures going on, a beautifully harmonious, subtle-coloured deliciously soft light-drenched image on the left, and a completely different image, darker, more mysterious, different in atmosphere, on the right. I am sure you know what I mean. You were brave to work with this photo, I would have cropped it from the word go, for an easier life. But you are never one to take the easy way out, are you - you always seem to love the challenge! :)

But I know you have a way to go yet ... so I'll pop back in again in due course! I am seriously dieting, so I skip over all those references to candy :envy: and just look carefully at the pictures!

Nandie
01-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Punny, Andrea....

And as long as we're talking about weird Native American names for places up here, I'm always bemused by "Humptulips". I mean, d'ya think the Native Americans were maybe just having it on the Europeans??

Well you know what's hilarious.... when some of the first settlers landed in Canada they met with a tribe of Indians. The settlers spoke no Indian and the Indians spoke no English.. anyway, the Indians pointed the settlers in the direction of their village and said "Canada". The settlers thought they meant the country's name was "Canada", but the Indians were really saying "village" or "wigwams". Before they realised the true meaning, the name "Canada" stuck. So really, we're just one big happy village of wigwams up here! :)

SweetBabyJ
01-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Oh good- nice to find someone else is thinking crop, too. I've been mulling it since laying in that higher background fabric, probably crop two or three inches off the right- just enough to give that far right egg some breathing room.

I managed there to incorporate some "lace pattern" , I think- I mean, *I* see it, so hopefully it's working. Hard to tell sometimes. If it quits pouring I'll try to get another pic of it. Right now it's make dinner, finish folding laundry and grab some ibuprofen and lay dibs on the heating pad- I'm starting to feel like a clenched fist. Old age ain't fer sissies.

SweetBabyJ
01-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Well you know what's hilarious.... when some of the first settlers landed in Canada they met with a tribe of Indians. The settlers spoke no Indian and the Indians spoke no English.. anyway, the Indians pointed the settlers in the direction of their village and said "Canada". The settlers thought they meant the country's name was "Canada", but the Indians were really saying "village" or "wigwams". Before they realised the true meaning, the name "Canada" stuck. So really, we're just one big happy village of wigwams up here! :)

HA! You have to wonder how many hills, mountains, rock formations, et al actually mean "Big-Hill-Where-Maneating-Bear-Lives" or "Water-We-Don't-Drink-Because-It-Is-Downstream-of-Village". Best though is names which mean "That's Your Finger, You Fool"

Nandie
01-20-2005, 07:27 PM
HA! You have to wonder how many hills, mountains, rock formations, et al actually mean "Big-Hill-Where-Maneating-Bear-Lives" or "Water-We-Don't-Drink-Because-It-Is-Downstream-of-Village". Best though is names which mean "That's Your Finger, You Fool"

Yeh - I don't even want to know what Puyallup (pronounced pew-all-up) means!!! :wink2: :D

p.s... I think even if you do decide to crop, that once youve finished the middle & foreground and have some of the shadow color coming across in places to the left and the highlight colors touching those eggs and bits of lace on the right, it will harmonize beautifully.

Pinecone Conniff
01-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Holy sugar rush Lace-Girl!!...Not only am I hungry from reading this thread...I am humbly amazed!... :clap:
I'll check in after I get something to eat...Geeeez. :eek:
Annette

ponting
01-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Just the popcorn gallery here wondering about the size of the foreground eggs in relation to the rest of the painting. They seem to have grown a little.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/34523-popcorn.gif.....Dianna

SweetBabyJ
01-20-2005, 10:27 PM
They probably are, Dianna- I'm not worried about it at this point. I've never been able to do an initial sketch like you have with everything drawn perfectly- I always end up with a very stiff piece when I try that. So I've learned to indicate, eyeball and kinda guess until I get to a particular area, then worry about all of that. Sometimes, that doesn't work, but usually, it does.

I'm tired, sore and discouraged tonight, though. I really hurt today, and spent a bit of time after supper starting the foreground lace lay-in and lemme tell you- I dunno if I can pull that off. It's going to be really tough- the values are close, and, while sometimes what I do APPEARS really detailed, it is usually "faked" detail- I lost a lot of precision when I had that surgery on my neck- and this has got to be precise. Sooo... we'll see.

Hopefully, tomorrow I can run errands in the morning, then not be too worn-out to see what I can do for that lace.

t-sue
01-20-2005, 10:37 PM
:clap: Sugar rush and great instruction and a gorgeous piece... who could ask for anything more????

(Btw, could you please pass some of that buttered popcorn, Dianna? Looks yummy! That's the cutest smilie!)

And, Julie... what can we send you to make you feel better? Don't want you to get to feeling so bad and achey... and we sure want you to finish this piece!!! Extra Strength Tylenol? Heating pad? Back/neck rub? We're here for you! :cat:

SweetBabyJ
01-20-2005, 10:51 PM
LOL! 'preciate the offers, Tammy- and sure wish I could have one or two for real. I have a spinal degenerative disease and grow calcites on my vertebrae; a few years ago, that resulted in nerve impingement and damage before they decided PT wasn't enough and did a cervical spine fusion at C4-5. Today's just a not-so-good day for me, happens sometimes. Usually it's my lumbar spine (all disc spaces compromised to some extent, constant sciatica and some weakness to the left lower limb) but today my neck decided it was feeling a bit left-out I guess, and so decided to make itself known. Hopefully, it'll get tired and go away all by itself overnight.

Maybe some ice cream to go with the popcorn?

ponting
01-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Oh, this is not good. I'm sorry about your back making life hard for you. I did the best I could with caramel corn and ice cream to make you smile and a group hug from everyone to ease the pain.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/34523-popblood.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/34523-smilie_eis1.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/34523-grouphug.gif

Rest up........Dianna :cat:

t-sue
01-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Maybe some ice cream to go with the popcorn?

You got it Sweetie... whatever it takes to make you feel better!!!! I'm heading to the store to get some right now.... oh, wait... this is Tallapoosa... town of 2,000... 2 small groceries... none open at 11pm... sorry, Chickadee... you'll have to see if Andrea has any of that almond bark left, or if Dianna has eaten all of htat popcorn yet. WAIT!!!! I've got a couple of Godivas left that I got for Christmas... will that do?

And in seriousness... I am fascinated and captivated by the way you are working this piece... all of that softness and color with no blending except with the pastels themselves!!!! WOW and more WOW!!! For this bit of learning I'll gladly give you the last of my Godivas!!!!
:cat: (Feel better!!!! That's an order!!!)

t-sue
01-20-2005, 11:26 PM
:cool: Hooray!! Dianna's got the ice cream and caramel corn to boot! :clap:
And are those pastel M&M smilies????? Dianna gets the gold star for smilies!!!!! (But, how do you get those in the body of your message? Too clever by half!)

SweetBabyJ
01-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Ga'head, Dianna- teach Tammy a new trick.

Before you go jaw-dropping, though, Tammy- *this* piece has utilized a blending technique- may as well describe it now since I can't paint. If you take a look at the wall shadows, you'll see a bit of it: It's mostly allowing the pastels to blend themselves, but there's a bit of finger there, too. What I do is, lay-in a nice cushion of colour- two or three layers (I use Wallis exclusively; laid papers won't give you this ability, but some other sanded ones will- with their own drawbacks). Then, using the base colour, a dark and a light, I stroke in lightly with a random pattern loosely based on the pattern I need. I'm not anal about it (which is what I mean about "faking" detail), but just kinda indicate it with splotches and sideswipes and a few wriggly strokes. In light areas, I use the light, in dark areas, I use the dark. Now switch the two and kind of refine the pattern. Step back- is it working? Where are the holes? Where is it too crowded? Do some more. And every once in awhile, slip my little finger up to press against a too-raw spot, and give it the barest of wiggles as I lift off. I've also (*secret*) Dipped my little fingertip into a really dark area and then "patted it" over a lighter area I wanted to kind of mottle. Shhhhhhh! That one's a trade secret- we don't want everyone knowing. Mustn't tell or everyone will know. You're special, so I'm just telling you. ;) :D ;)

And the "hills" part of the right-side fabric is very definately finger-blended. I really wanted that to fade away and be dull- no colour, just dark and dull. Then on the front of it, I indicated some patterning as above.

That's what I've done on the right-side fabric now, and was working on the middle lace a bit, but have decided feet up, a Therma-Care and 5 units of Valium is maybe a better idea than continuing.

But I'll take the hugs (careful of my neck) the caramel corn and the ice cream, too. Thank you, Dianna :clap: :wave: :clap: have you been working today?

Nandie
01-21-2005, 01:50 AM
I do have almond bark left-over, and even a half bottle of Bailey's if youre interested! Might make you forget your worries for a little bit, anyway! :evil:

I'm sure when you feel better you'll be able to tackle that lace foreground with ease. Give yourself a break... we'll "egg you on" later! :wink2:

K Taylor-Green
01-21-2005, 02:15 AM
Coming in late on this. Gotta say, the dreamy atmosphere just blows me away.
Course, I gain weight just reading your WIPs, Julie, with all the goodies being passed around!!

Cochisa
01-21-2005, 05:34 AM
I'm watching too...love your lace, Julie. :)
I have chocolate cake and lemon bars...wild cherry pepsi here.
Cochisa
p.s...i'm glad you seem to like Indian names...it's a fun interesting life.

Mikki Petersen
01-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Yeah...Humptulips...first time we passed through there, we stopped at the post office and mailed postcards to everyone we knew. I mean how many people get cards from Humptulips?????? I kind of like all the wierd names though. At least they are original. Driving through Oregon, you see signs for every town and city in America!

Ummm...I'm loving the painting so far...trying to avoid a diabetic coma reading the thread...have you given up on it...where's the finish? I mean, I waded through three pages of chat and no finale?

Mikki

SweetBabyJ
01-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Can't be at the easel long enough to do much of anything, I'm on hiatus until my spine quits complaining. I did try, Friday, to lay-in the actual crotcheted stuff and gave that right up- have since, hopefully, designed fabric folds and draping which is pleasing, but not so damned nit-picky. Also, because of the new fabric draping, cropped in from the right and moved the two-eggs back left a tad- I'm not as crazy about the near-square rectangle now, but that's the way she goes sometimes.

I think I'm giving Wallis a run for its money in that foreground wth my constant brushing-out-re-doing....

*edit* My typing is really sucking 'cause my hands aren't responding correctly- I've tried to catch and fix typoes, but y'all will just have to excuse any I miss.

Nandie
01-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Ummm...I'm loving the painting so far...trying to avoid a diabetic coma reading the thread...have you given up on it...where's the finish? I mean, I waded through three pages of chat and no finale?

Mikki

Oh she'll be back.... but judging by my now-empty bottle of Bailey's it may take a few days..... :p :evil:

(I'm only yoking of course!)

What do chickens keep their photos in?

Albumins.

Hee heeeee I crack my self up.

Okay, I'm going now. :wave:

SweetBabyJ
01-22-2005, 04:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2005/9169-15776.gif

Andrea's going for the pullet-surprise in puns this year.....

meowmeow
01-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Coming in real late to this...and feeling worried about how you are feeling Julie! Much as I would love to see progress here I know you have to take care of yourself first...we can wait. There is obviously enough feed that no one will starve...of coures I am waiting for the quiche you will make with these eggs when you get done...but please keep the lace out of it!
I am sure you will pull this off, as you usually do...lots of neat stuff to watch and learn from....the master at work here! But take care, lady!!!!

Sandy

Nandie
01-22-2005, 10:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2005/9169-15776.gif

Andrea's going for the pullet-surprise in puns this year.....

Well I'll be DEVILLED!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2005/14007-cryingwithlaughter.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2005/14007-laugh_rotfl.gif

t-sue
01-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Julie... are you feeling any better? Even if we can't cure your back and neck, sure hope the crew is at least giving you somthing to grin about!!! Thanks you so much for the blending lesson... very cool and totally fascinating!!!! More of your genious to put in my "Julie File".... still think you need to do a book and/or video instruction!!!!

Alright, Dianna and Andrea... fess up!!! I am withholding the coke until you come forth with complete instructions on how to get those neat smilies in the body of a message (they're from Smiley Central, aren't they.... ha! You've gone deeper into the 8,000 of them than I had!) You can hold back secrets on art techniques, but for the love of god, please don't hold back on the smilies!!!!!!!! :wink2: :envy: (pitiful as these are in comparison!) :D
Is there any popcorn left? Hope you guys are getting thirsty!!! :evil:

And, Andrea.... gotta admit that you crack me up!!! You and Julie are probably the punniest people I know! Guess I'm gonna have to scramble up a "Pun File" for all of these great eggs-amples of wit and humor!! (Shoot! I can't hold a candle to the two of you!!!!)

By the time Julie gets back, we're all going to be 10 pounds heavier, and will miss the finalle having gone to the gym or running trails to work it all off... all of us except Andrea who will be sitting under an ice-pack trying to get rid of that Bailey's hang-over... or was it Julie who polished that off?

Mikki Petersen
01-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Oh groan! ;) You ran out of sweet treats and now you are into egg puns...

Julie, I hope you get some relief from that back pain soon. Nothing doesn't hurt when your back hurts...my trouble is in my hips more so it does not stop me from painting...only walking, sitting, standing...ever tried painting horizontal?

Mikki

t-sue
01-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Mikki, get out your web cam!!!! That I've got to see!!!!!

Mikki Petersen
01-23-2005, 05:20 AM
Mikki, get out your web cam!!!! That I've got to see!!!!!

:evil: :o :D :p

t-sue
01-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Did I just get the razzberries? Cute Mikki! :cat:

I see no webcam shot :wink2:

Nandie
01-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Alright, Dianna and Andrea... fess up!!! I am withholding the coke until you come forth with complete instructions on how to get those neat smilies in the body of a message (they're from Smiley Central, aren't they.... ha! You've gone deeper into the 8,000 of them than I had!) You can hold back secrets on art techniques, but for the love of god, please don't hold back on the smilies!!!!!!!! :wink2: :envy: (pitiful as these are in comparison!) :D

Okay t-sue.... I'll tell you EGGS-actly how I do this!

Some of my smilies are from smiley-central but I confess I don't have an account with them. When someone uses one I like, I do the following: See the little painter below? Right-click on him and save. Create a file on your computer that says "Smilies" and put him in there.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2005/14007-painter.gif

Now if you want to use him in a post on WC, just use the image uploader, as if you were going to upload a painting. Easy!

I have a huge "Smiley" folder that I just keep adding to, every time I see a smiley that I like somewhere. Have pun! I mean, fun! :wink2:

t-sue
01-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Andrea, You are the queen!!!! Here's your coke!!!! (sorry it's so little) and a little bubbly for good measure! THANK YOU! You've made me so happy I could just dance (oh, lord, just the thought of me in a tutu is just plain scary!)

Edit... Hey! They're just standing there... not doing a darned thing!!! What in the world did I do wrong? Must be a moron! :crying: ... back to the ones I can handle :crying:

SweetBabyJ
01-23-2005, 07:57 PM
You can't attach- you have to UPLOAD. Quicklinks, image uploader, browse, upload, copy, paste url here

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2005/9169-food-smiley-012.gif

SweetBabyJ
01-23-2005, 08:01 PM
Now, as to eggs, I've been able to work a bit today, but I fear the piece is on its last legs: I've messed about with the foreground so much, coverage is getting to be problematic. Sooo... I'll probably indicate fabric as sparsely as I dare, hope for the best- I dunno, though, the bottom is really not matching the top in terms of "look"- the top looks effortless, the bottom, painful. Too late for a pic, I'll try to get one in the morning.

SweetBabyJ
01-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Well, it isn't a "Ta-daaaaa!" but it'll have to do. Pretty sure there's no tornado effect. I simplified the foreground enormously just so I could do it without cramping up each time I leaned toward it- least she all matches now, and the crop, while not a fave to me, doesn't kill the idea. I'm amazed those two horizontals (the bowl and the shadow) are holding this thing- doesn't seem like enough, but I guess they are.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2005/9169-laceyeggsfinul.jpg

I didn't drink all the Bailey's, therefore, I have no hangover; however, I DID eat all the caramel corn and now hafta go unstick my teeth. Thanks for coming along on the ride, Y'all, and the snacks and moral support. Glad you had fun- else I'd not do this because, whatever would be the point??

I'm just glad it's ova....

*groan*

Mikki Petersen
01-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Julie, this came out beautifully! One would never suspect the artist was painting through agony and a haze of Bailey's... :rolleyes: I like the soft dreamy quality this has...like early morning sun through sleepy eyes. Good one!

meowmeow
01-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Definitely soft and dreamy....very atmospheric. I think you should be pleased...I know you are pleased it's done but it's a very lovely painting indeed.
I hope this means you are feeling somewhat better!!!!

Sandy

Nancy Leone
01-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Julie,
Your work always leaves me speechless.....quietly hanging out in the back row.
Looks like a "ta-daaaaa!" to me. "Bravo"
Hope you feel better.

SweetBabyJ
01-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Thank you Mikki, Sandy and Nancy- I appreciate the comments. I added jes' a smidge of "shape" to the foregound lace and left it at that- wish the colours were more true here, because it does glow nicely. Am casting around for something new and might do some tulips I grabbed at Safeway yesterday- a bit early, but they do brighten a room.

Diane Cutter
01-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Julie... I've been one of your silent admirers, lurking through the whole process. The end result is simply stunning. I love how you translate light. Thanks for a beautiful lesson...

Diane

Nandie
01-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Julie, you did eggs-stremely well with the finish!

**double groan**

The foreground looks delicate and even billowy where the fabric is bunched around the eggs. My eyes are picking out the subtle patterns and the darks on the right don't overpower the lights on the left. You're just discouraged with it because you've been staring at it for ages and you aren't feeling your best. I got this way with my watercolor grapes (which I showed in my peach-pot thread), I couldn't stand how I did the crystal bowl. But after putting it away for a few weeks, it grew on me, and now it lives in Texas somewhere... being loved by someone willing to pay for it!

So..... put it away for a while then have another look. I think you'll be pleased. And if not... send it to me! :)

t-sue
01-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Awwwww... Sweet Baby J!!!! What a great lesson and what a lovely piece!!!! Just wish you had not had to work through it in such pain! Amazing to me how none of the pain shows through the piece... it has such a beautiful glow and is full of the promise of life (or breakfast :cat: ). The lace is fascinating... I see the lovely pattern, but it's suggestive enough that it doesn't take my attention first.

So, dittos to all of the other accolades!!!! And thanks for the wonderful sharing!!!! Now, TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF!!!!!!

Ps...
You can't attach- you have to UPLOAD. Quicklinks, image uploader, browse, upload, copy, paste url here

I DID do the upload! It's just when I did the "save as" for the little devils to begin with, they saved as bmp's but quit moving! Tried sending myself one from the saved file in an email, and they just sat there like bumps on a log. Too much to deal with today.... will address figuring out how to do that another time. In the meantime, will just use these little fellows, and admire the cool ones from you guys from afar! :wink2:

ponting
01-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Well Julie this was a 'birthing' for you...lots of pain but not the kind we like to speak of in the same breath as painting. :(

I really like this one but then I like most everything you do...you see the 'most everything' part......that is to keep you from getting too cocky :p

Cheers and see you soon...Dianna :wave:

prestonsega
01-24-2005, 09:45 PM
:clap: I still say this work is uniquely strong due to the subjects being cast in a dreamy, almost sensual role...and is so tastefully presented. Bravo :clap:

SweetBabyJ
01-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Well, yeah- I DID say I was attracted to the light in this dint I? Some artists say they want to capture the subtle nuance of light playing across the whatever... me- I'm not so shy- I want to catch the light fantastic, the colours of magic, I want my light to dazzle....

I promise not to get cocky, Dianna- I know my place in the pecking order... hahahaa!!

Glad you had fun at the party, Tammy- I'm musing an article on "form", but haven't quite got a handle on the whole theme yet. We'll just have to wait and see.

Andrea, it's ova, Dear, and with all the snacks we had, you shouldn't be feeling peckish....

Diane, you're too kind- thank you very much.

Thank you All, really- I had fun and hope you did, too.

Now, how do you get down off an elephant?
You don't- you get down off a goose

wucka-wucka-wucka....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2005/9169-very_first_smiley.gif

Meisie
01-25-2005, 02:11 AM
Beautiful! :clap:

Meisie

Nandie
01-25-2005, 02:26 AM
Andrea, it's ova, Dear, http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2005/9169-very_first_smiley.gif

Nooooooo.... I have one more!

Someday you'll have to show us beginners how to do lay-ers!

Okay, NOW it's ova!

:wink2:

t-sue
01-25-2005, 09:26 AM
:music: :music: TAH-DAH!!! :music: :music:

O'Aieghlans
01-25-2005, 09:58 AM
You should be very proud of a job well done! :clap:

SweetBabyJ
01-25-2005, 01:55 PM
:music: :music: TAH-DAH!!! :music: :music:

You GO, Girl!! hahahaha!!

Andrea, I'll think about something on layers- maybe pass that one up the chain for an ESP- let's just say it's not as difficult as pulling hens' teeth? *groan*

Thank you Meisie, and thank you, Dan, I appreciate you coming along for the ride- it's always more fun in company.

watergirl
01-25-2005, 05:57 PM
SO really awesome Julie! Keep going!