PDA

View Full Version : Red Gaze

d-head
01-19-2005, 08:07 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-19-2005/55346_wet_-_red_gaze.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Red Gaze
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 x 30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I am working a series of faces. Different styles, mostly impressionistic, many buried in or coming out the background.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does this work? Lots of scratching and such. I like etching in paint.

d-head
01-19-2005, 08:12 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-19-2005/55316_wet_-_red_gaze.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Red Gaze
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 x 30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Posted this in Open Critique. Meant to post here. Doing a series of faces -- mostly impressionistic. Few look alike.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does this work?

Quiet
01-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Are Dennis Ellman and d-head the same person? If so, you should probably stick to posting this under one name or the other. If not, then there are bigger problems to worry about.

Interesting picture!

d-head
01-19-2005, 10:09 PM
what's he doing stealing my work?

well, I was trying to post in the structured zone, but ended up in open. So here we are/I am

"You awaken and there he is
out of nowhere.
You think he hatched
from the great stone
of sleep,.
You give him a name.
He is somewhat obedient,
though dazed..."

Tamana
01-20-2005, 09:14 AM
I like the effect VERY much and the palette is superb. The white linework bothers me in this and detracts too much from it overall. Being that anyone here will tell you I love scratches and lines; I feel perhaps the exhibit of repetition regarding them may be what disturbs me. The top of the head doesn't appear to be like that; and that's what works for me.

minimonkey
01-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Very evocative piece! It looks so sad, empty, silenced to me -- yet also quite inviting-- it draws me in, and makes me want to talk to the guy....

I love your use of color and texture in this one. The muted red is fantastic, and I love the rendering of the eyes.

chammi kaiser
01-20-2005, 05:21 PM
:wave: I also like the effect and the colours are great particularly the background. The painting reminds me of some sort of ancient ritual - not sure why. I , like Tamana, find the scratchings on the nose and mouth detract from the overall effect - just too strong and sort of contrived. Would like to see more of your work. Chammi

Dana Design
01-20-2005, 06:12 PM
This is absolutely fabulous! Wonderful painting!!

And the scratches/lines/whatever really do it for me.....they make the painting distinctive and rather mysterious. That's what makes it an interesting piece for me. They also impose tension to what would be a otherwise softer, smoother painting. These effects encourage me to explore further. And, isn't that what a really good piece is all about? yes.

d-head
01-20-2005, 06:18 PM
To scratch or not to scratch. Depends, I guess, on the itch. Thanks so much for the positive feedback. I truly appreciate it. dme

dornberg
01-22-2005, 01:19 AM
pretty strong on several levels