PDA

View Full Version : Heartache-Tsunami donation

artbabe21
01-19-2005, 06:45 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-19-2005/7568_Heartache-smaller.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Heartache-Tsunami donation
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painting from a photo in the reference library by HughHill of his daughter Ruby....the shadows were a challenge....I am so sick of tweaking this one...LOL

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything really glaring? It's due tonight & not much daylight?
I keep wondering why my work turns out like this when I really want to paint looser??

Dhuot
01-19-2005, 08:01 PM
HEllo Cathleen...

This is beautiful...

I haven`t seen the reference picture, but the composition is very good. The nose and cheek being lit by the sun (?) is awsome.
Soft background...very achieved lol
Could use a bit of shade near the hair on her foreground.
Nice hair

What would be " to paint looser " ???

Daniel

dcorc
01-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi Cath - looks good to me :clap: :clap: :clap:

ah, us last-minute oilies!!! :D (Pleased how many of us did manage to get oil paintings in, despite the relatively short time-frame!)

(Love the jewellery you put up too, by the way! :clap: )

I think being looser is partly about painting thicker, and keeping the brush sizes up - but then I'm Mr paint-tight-with-layers-of-thin-scumbles-and-glazes :D

Dave

Dhuot
01-19-2005, 09:23 PM
I think being looser is partly about painting thicker, and keeping the brush sizes up - but then I'm Mr paint-tight-with-layers-of-thin-scumbles-and-glazes :D

Dave

OH !!

Like a 2 inch brush ?? :D :D

dcorc
01-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Like a 2 inch brush ??

Depends on the size of the painting, Daniel ! :p

Even I've got some 1 inch and 1/2 inch house-painting brushes in my set, for a large painting I'm currently doing! :)

Let's not hijack Cath's thread, though! :eek:

Dave

Quiet
01-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Nice painting! One thing that strikes me is that the contrast between light and shadow on her shirt isnít as strong as the contrast on her skin. And her hair does not seem to be lit by the sun at all. It probably isnít worth fixing if itís due tonight, though.

Cheers!

woodguy
01-20-2005, 01:44 AM
Very well done, Cathleen :clap: :clap: Jim

LisaArt
01-20-2005, 03:53 AM
A beautiful piece Kathleen, :clap:
You did a marvelous job with the shadows. The sunlight on the cheek is stellar.
Background colours and shirt are just so in harmony.
Her eyes are so sad and this painting really had me reflecting again on such a terrible disaster...and how lucky we are in the western world.

haaf
01-20-2005, 04:03 AM
Good work Cathleen, great composition.
As for crits..
I think it needs just a splotch of light on top of her hair, let her hair disapppear behind ear (there is a tiny piece missing there), I think the for us right eye could be darkened a little.

Caroline ;)

Wayne Gaudon
01-20-2005, 07:19 AM
I'm not going to critique a portrait LOL but Quite and Caroline have hit the sore spots .. very nice work .. loose comes from dancing and singing while you paint. :D oh, and a long straw for your drink. (Well, a drink wouldn't do anything for the painting but it might add to your dancing ability.) :D

Tamana
01-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Wonderful tribute. I love the positioning and the balancing withe space and color. Good expression as well. Can't add to anything already said.

mattlart
01-20-2005, 09:40 AM
:clap: I think that this may be your best work to date, Cath.

Really, a breakthrough. The more subdued colors are working so well here.
And,..you've really nailed the light and her hair.
Lovely. :clap:

Congratulations, my friend! Best Wishes,-Scott

artbabe21
01-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Good morning everyone! :) I wake up slowly on these dark days! :eek:
Thanks everyone for looking! Gosh everyone is so thoughtful & helpful!!

Daniel...looser would be 'to loose some of this detail & only suggest features'...that's what I am after, but this seems to be the way I paint...I'll still try to go against type soon!

Dave...thanks, and yes I do need some of those 1" brushes! I wouldn't know what to do with them but heck...it's worth a try! Glad you like the jewelry too, my past life.

Quiet...This is why I love Open Critiques, your comments made me see what I didn't...fresh eyes are always good. I agree that I need more dark (Daniel said it as well) on that shade side & just a touch more highlight on the left side of her hair so it looks as lit as the skin not in shadow...thank YOU! :D I think I can still add this little bit as it's not sold yet!

Hi Jim the 'cowguy'...geez, I love those cows! thanks for your comments! :)

Lisa...good that the sadness came through, that was what I was after! Thanks for your nice words.

Caroline...thank you & the comp was what drew me to this reference. Agree with more light on her hair!

Wayne...yep, I CAN sing & dance, just NOT both at once...LOL...Scott tried his darnedest to loosen my work up...thanks!! ;)

Tamana...thanks so much for looking & liking, I appreciate it!! :D

Scott...hey,I've missed you! I knew you'd love the muted tones from me the COLOR WHEEL WOMAN!! LOL...I can't believe me working in grayed tones. Ms. PURE COLOR! ha....anyway, Merci for your very nice comments. Are you moved yet? :wink2:

giniaad
01-20-2005, 12:53 PM
dang, girlfriend!...you are getting soooooo good!

I have one thing for you to observe for future work
watching form...even if obscured
here...
her cheeks are round
observed is her left cheek...
and that form to expect (in general) on the other side.
look to her right cheek (behind her hair)
with the aspect of light hitting her skin
and the aspect of light hitting her hair
(and take into consideration the flow of hair over cheek and how the light hits it also)
her right cheek (under her hair...looses roundness...goes flat suddenly)
the implied roundness of her cheek under the hair is off
(especially when the light and shadow of that cheek, where it is showing,
implies that roundness so well)
do you see what I mean?

this work is so very impressive...
you have done a great job and for a great cause too.
Keep up the wonderful work!

artbabe21
01-20-2005, 11:59 PM
HEY..Gin.....good to see you critiquing!
I always learn so much from you girl! :D I remember the first time you commented (the two gals in masquerade) and how many things I picked up, that I try NOT to forget. These shadows threw me... :eek:
Thanks for taking time to help me out with this as I knew I was missing something with the form...... :eek:
I'll print this out as I learn so much that way, you know with my mind in such a flurry always! :wave: take care of yourself, will answer email soon!

jerryW
01-21-2005, 02:34 AM
strong positioning in frame
great detail and gesture

Gilberte
01-21-2005, 09:32 AM
No merit button here ? You definitely surpassed yourself here !
Beautiful donation.
At first glance I thought it was a pastel painting because of the soft values.

artbabe21
01-21-2005, 10:50 AM
strong positioning in frame
great detail and gesture

But JERRY...I want to get rid of the detail...how? thanks for commenting.

Gilberte...thanks my dear! I keep trying, why faces I say? They call to me. I seem to always paint 'soft' like this.