PDA

View Full Version : The Hat - #1 & #2

d-head
01-19-2005, 12:14 PM
don't know if this is a series of just a two paintings -- The first one is acrylic on canvas, 20 x 30. The second is hot out of the garage. Finished last night. It's acrylic/gesso, tempera on canvas. 36 x 36. Would LOVE comments. The last couple of pieces just kinda came and wet in a hurry. Great, though, to see so much good art posted here.

jungleX
01-19-2005, 12:18 PM
These look good. I like the way the faces have your style to them. It almost gives the figures and faces a ghost feel to them. The back ground helps pull you into the pieces. Keep it up! :clap:

themanda
01-19-2005, 12:56 PM
i like the pose of the central figure in the first one quite a bit. she's arrogant with her kicky little hat. i, personally, feel the other figures in that one detract from the central figure, and i'm not sure what that large item in that she's meant to be sitting on. all in all, though, the piece is strong and does work for me.

there's something about the color balance in the second that is very disharmonious to me. i think it's got to do with the blues and the greens fighting with each other. i do like the depth that you've built up in the background, but i think i'd like to see more texture there, particularly around the edges of the head to make the figure a bit more dimensional.

d-head
01-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback. She IS sitting on something. I recognize how distracting the figures are in the first paintings. Just have never decided whether they should stay or go -- whether the central fiogure dominates enough to hold the whole canvas. The second one is so new, I don't know what to think yet. I appreciate your suggestions. I kind of suspected that the blues and greens would battle. Thanks again for your thoughts. dme

PALudeking
01-19-2005, 01:54 PM
I like the faces, makes me think of one of my favorites F Bacon...

bestof
01-19-2005, 08:41 PM
The first one-it feels like three old women yakking it up = ) I like the one on the left craning her neck up- it kinda reminds me of the other painting on here called "gossip." I would like to see the colors in the central figures face carried to the rest of her body.

Tamana
01-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Though I don't like the addition of the two women in the first, I really do like the yellow. The pose of the "lady in red" is good and her expression smug.

I really like the effect of the second - the distress of the paint; but the blue hat really detracts from the over-all effect. I think I would like it much better if it were a different color.