PDA

View Full Version : ebayer wants to buy after auction over and painting didn't sell

CathyD
11-28-2001, 12:43 AM
Hi everyone, need some help here. One of my auctions just ended and the painting didn't sell. Someone who saw it on auction contacted me later and now wants to buy it. (I had already decided not to relist) I looked to see if this was a violation of ebay rules in the avoid fees area, but the closest thing that came to it was buyer contacting seller to buy for higher price. They just missed the end of the auction and want to buy it now. I am not sure what to do. I am not trying to avoid the final value fee, so I would appreciate any feedback on what to do ASAP!
Thanks!
CathyD

scottb
11-28-2001, 01:09 AM
Hi there, Cathy.

Technically speaking, I don't believe you'd be violating e-Bay's convenants. As the painting didn't sell, and the auction ended legitimately, then e-Bay is out of the loop.

Realistically, the rule is in place to prevent sellers from going after buyers to make deals once an auction has closed. This is sort of the other way around.

I say go for it.

Cheers.
Scott

CathyD
11-28-2001, 02:27 AM
THANK YOU Scott, for answering so dang fast! I am relieved to hear your advice (and from a source that is beyond question and trustworthy). I was hoping to get this resolved tonight. Now I can sleep with my conscience intact.

Thankyou! (I'm off to answer an email)
Cathy :D

Sumafra
11-29-2001, 01:47 AM
Hi Cathy,
For sure I would sell the item although the price is now negotiable since the auction has ended. I have to agree with Scott, the auction ended legitimately and the buyer came after you with an offer. I don't see any problem, but if you want to be sure, you could send an email to ebay and ask them. The worse that will happen is that they will charge you the final value fee.

CarlyHardy
12-01-2001, 01:05 AM
If the auction closes and noone wins the bidding, you are not under any obligation to ebay to sell the painting however you choose.

However, if you do choose to sell privately, then you take all responsibility for the sale. Ebay has no obligation for moderation in a dispute (not that I think their moderation does a lot anyway!) You will also have no way of posting negative feedback if the buyer deserves it either.

You can however use PayPal or BillPoint for a payment method without your sale being an auction item. The choice is up to you.
carly