PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned in Baker

Londondeon
01-18-2005, 09:39 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-18-2005/44933_wc_Abanndoned_in_Baker.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Abandoned in Baker
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I just can't resist old gas stations, especially with old cars parked in them. This one was out in a prairie with the weeds rattling aroung the place.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I have intensified the colors a bit, just to make it more interesting. How does it work?

purplepansey
01-18-2005, 09:50 PM
You have captured the flavor of the past with the gas stations that went out of business only to be replaced by bigger ones off the super highways. I love that old car with the weeds growing around it. The old place shows the decay of passing years with the sign hanging down. I like your painting a lot. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure critiquers with more experience than I could tell you if there is something wrong with your painting but at the moment, I can't. I also commend you for the title of the painting which is so apt.

DevineCreative
01-18-2005, 10:00 PM
You were right to choose the colors that you did. Adds a drama to the scene that would not otherwise be there. I especially like the blue shadows. It totally compliments the orange hues in the sign and grass. Nice composition. Good work!

Pamela

Tamana
01-18-2005, 10:11 PM
I love this type of subject matter; the nostalgia is wonderful. This is very well executed. The only thing I'm not certain about is the blue shadows. Seems a bit stark for the rest of the composition. Boy I haven't seen scenery like this in forever - the caps, the gas tanks, that type of coke sign - well done.

strychnine
01-18-2005, 10:44 PM
I really like this! As a previous poster has said, in real life the shadow in the doorway would probably not be so blue; but I think the blue makes for a nice stylistic touch. You can really feel the contrast between the coolness inside the station and the blazing sun outside.

Just one niggling thing: the various elements of your gas station and scenery stand out beautifully from one another because of differences in texture, colour, and contrast. The car, however, is a different story. Parts of it (most notably the windowframes) seem to be defined by a dark outline rather than by light, shadow, colour, etc. I'd really like to see the car taken to the same level as the rest of the painting--no outlines!

jerryW
01-19-2005, 06:40 AM
magnificently
worth all the work.

Wayne Gaudon
01-19-2005, 07:26 AM
love it, especially the cobalt blue splash; it is a littel intense for shadows but for some reason it doesn't look all that out of place on this piece.

Esmeralinda
01-19-2005, 08:03 AM
I love this, especially the colour of your shadows. What a great touch !

Linda :clap:

haaf
01-19-2005, 08:08 AM
excellent colorplay
I'm glad you enhanced the colors and turned it in something special
Caroline ;)

pero lane
01-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Looks just great to me...Love your color choices....I noticed that the gas pump on far viewer right is a little "twisted" to the right. :)

Londondeon
01-19-2005, 12:07 PM
"I noticed that the gas pump on far viewer right is a little "twisted" to the right. "====

Yes, It was that way and I think that someone must have tried to take it as a momento, or maybe someone had hit it at some time after the station was abandoned. Makes it look even more forlorn.

Londondeon

shirleyq
01-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Bravo! Hope someone buys it soon :)

HRobinson
01-19-2005, 02:47 PM
With respect to Tam's sentiment... if you were intent on using blue for those shadows why then wasn't blue used in that cast shadow on the car? And why was that cast shadow so strong and full of value while the other cast shadow's weren't? Those strong shadows indicate a bright day yet your sky color does not.

Your idea of those bygone days was outstanding and I enjoyed very much that part of it.

-Harry

Londondeon
01-19-2005, 03:41 PM
The blue cast shadows only appear where they are cast on white. The shadow on the car is actually a dark green of a value 4-5 values darker than the green in the sunlight. As for the sky not reflecting the intense heat of the day, it is brighter in the original and it was HOT!

Hope this explains the logic of the shadows.
Londondeon

TScottDove
01-20-2005, 06:45 AM
Sundrenched!
So intense I need my sunglasses.
Bravo

giniaad
01-20-2005, 01:14 PM
great spot...well done
an eye catcher

Londondeon
01-21-2005, 03:46 PM
SOLD IT YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :clap:

dornberg
01-22-2005, 01:15 AM
color creates it's own depth

Gilberte
01-23-2005, 02:52 PM
Very nostalgic, very USA, very very GOOD in every way.
Congrats on the sale.