PDA

View Full Version : Salamigundi Farm

Londondeon
01-18-2005, 09:35 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-18-2005/44933_wc_salmigundi_farm.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Salamigundi Farm
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 10 x 36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Just finished this one of an old farm in my area. Unfortunately I placed the horizon line just in the middle, but too late to do anything about that.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does it work with it that way? Does it read OK for such a long piece?

Hyromartyr
01-18-2005, 09:50 PM
I think the longer format gives it a very airy and open feel, as if you are really standing in that field and looking onto that barn and you can shift your vision to see other adjacent parts.

Tamana
01-18-2005, 10:08 PM
*Faints* That field is gorgeous!! The red in it perfect. I like the horizontal format; it's like a panoramic view. That tree is excellent. Looks like there's a cloud brewing behind the silo...

strychnine
01-18-2005, 10:54 PM
You have a definite flair for texture and colour! Your grass is, um, "grassy" and your buildings are wonderfully clear and solid.

The painting is too long and skinny to be absorbed all at once, but who says that's a bad thing? It gives me the feeling of driving past scenery in a car--you just kind of sliiiiiiiiide past and take it all in.

A real treat for the eyes.

jerryW
01-18-2005, 11:09 PM
the horizon is a varied thickness composite polygon of darkish forms and colors, the rest is too. I guess that is why it works so well.
fabulous gradients of tightly packaged farm forms in a frenzied ordered dance.

Foil
01-18-2005, 11:11 PM
I like the feeling of light. I like the long narrow format. The fact that the horizon is in the middle doesn't botherme much. The one little thing that does bother me a little is the way the large tree on the lift hand side is cut off at the top. For some reason my eye keeps being drawn to that point. Maybe is't just me.

shirleyq
01-18-2005, 11:24 PM
the horizon is a varied thickness composite polygon of darkish forms and colors, the rest is too. I guess that is why it works so well.
fabulous gradients of tightly packaged farm forms in a frenzied ordered dance.

:evil: what he said :)

I have no problem with your horizon line.........there is so much to look at and so many shapes that it holds your interest. I like the darker colors to the left. The only thing that stops me some............not much at all.........is the roof lines of the front barn. The perspective seems to be off. :)
Overall this is a really wonderful painting. :)

Rieko
01-18-2005, 11:37 PM
I like as it is. The eaual horizontal line doesn't bother me because there are so many wonderful things to see in this painting.

The red barn against the grass works perfectly!

Jim Updegraff
01-19-2005, 12:02 AM
You have enough stuff going on in this thing that Id like so see some details, especially of the trees on the left. Im certainly not bothered by the sky-earth division. Quite impressive.

Londondeon
01-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the kudos. The "silo" on the right is actually a water tower. This farm stands in the Ebey's Prairie Heritage Reserve in Coupeville Washington. The buildings have always facinated me, but they are very hard to photograph as a highway passes in front with no shoulders. I finally pulled into a driveway and took photos. Most of the buildings are still in good condition, however the area is beginning to build up. This is now an antique auction place and no longer a working farm. I have been trying to record a lot of these old structures before they fall down.

In June I will have a show in conjunction with a play "the Laramie Project" at a local center for the arts and they have specifically requested that I show about 25 works related to the "rural scene." It has been a fun project creating all these paintings for the show. Hopefully some of them will sell.

HRobinson
01-19-2005, 02:35 PM
The even split is noticeable right away (to a trained eye) but as long as you have a problem with it that's critique enough. There are many things to keep one busy throughout but the foreground is somewhat of a burden (again, because of that even split.)

I'm also questioning your intention in re: that steeple adornment. Is that a cross or what? Perhaps it's not even necessary.

The scene... the format... the colors: all outstanding!

-Harry