PDA

View Full Version : High Tide

JamieWG
01-18-2005, 08:48 PM
This is my first painting posted to our new forum. How exciting! :D

I finally got the mat cut for this today. What a challenge that was. Geez! Never did I imagine that the hardest part of doing a mini could be cutting the mat! :evil: I ended up having to start with a 4.5x6.5 mat, cut the opening, then cut down the size of the mat. This is the smallest one I've ever done. 'Don't know if I'll try another at this size; it sure is teeny weenie! It was very hard to get a good photo of it because it's so tiny, and I don't have a scanner. This painting has been donated to the Tsunami Relief Project, and should be on the sale display there within the next day or two---whenever Kerri gets to uploading the next batch.

1x2", matted to 2x3". Penny for size reference. "High Tide" (at Constitution Marsh):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2005/13766-High_Tideb_1_1x2_tsunamib_400.jpg

Jamie

blumoon
01-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Jamie, what a nice mini. The mat looks good, you would never know you had trouble cutting it. Maybe you could do a mat cutting workshop for us. :D

Lady Rando
01-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Beautiful. Can we hire you to cut mats for us? :p :D

JamieWG
01-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Beautiful. Can we hire you to cut mats for us? :p :D

LOL, Tamara. I had such a hard time with it (I won't even tell you about all my failed attempts) that a WC member actually PM'd me and offered to cut mats for me for free! :D I was determined to do it myself though because if I continue to do minis, I'll have to find a way to cut mini mats. I cut a lot of my own mats, but cutting a 1x2 opening on a 2x3 mat was an experience I don't particularly care to repeat! :evil:

Blu, I did end up doing it with the Logan 4000, which is what I always use. The Xacto did not work out well. IMO, you can put your thoughts of getting that one to rest!

Jamie

Artguy29
01-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Lovely, Jamie :clap: :clap: :clap: !

Dave

champagneharley
01-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Very nice!

Regards,
Jillian

Charlie's Mum
01-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Lovely painting - I can just about see it (it's after 2 a m here!)
LOL about the mat cutting Jamie - it's bad enough cutting a 2.5x3.5 window.
My system is a Maped one and requires lots of measuring - the measurement points get mixed up - jeepers!
Did you see my answer about the gold mat? It really dulls the blades - ouch!

Asterea
01-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Very nicc Jame:) You did a lovely job on the mat too. I used to cut mats
ewwwww it is not fun! I admire the fact that you had the patience to persevere and do it.

valchina612
01-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Beautiful painting Jamie, and the matting is a fanastic colour. I don't think I am going to try cutting any of my own -- I would probably cut my fingers off. :( :(

Val. :wave:

JamieWG
01-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Many thanks Dave, Jillian, Maureen, Asteria and Val.

Val, I'm glad you like the mat color. It actually wasn't my first choice for a mat, but you don't want to know what happened to the first one! ;) :evil:

Asteria, I really prefer to get the mats pre-cut, but sometimes we don't have a choice! I wanted to try a teeny tiny mini for the first time; this is way smaller than any others I've done, so my only option was to cut my own. The larger ones are actually very easy to do.

Maureen, yes I saw your reply about the gold mat. Thank you very much. :) What is a "Maped" system?

Jamie

Sonia
01-19-2005, 11:44 AM
A beautiful little work of art. I know what you mean about cutting the mats :( I usually try and stick to one size of frame and cut half a dozen at a time - it gets easier the more you do. Also, if one or two are not perfect, you really haven't wasted much.

AriadneArts
01-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Lovely landscape, Jamie. Just wish I could see it better. I'll look for it in the Tsunami Project.

Good onya tackling that mini mat. I think the blue in the mat and the gold in the frame perfectly compliment the painting, picking up colors in it. Well done!

Bertoni
01-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Jamie:
Nice work! :clap: :clap: It looks beautiful in that frame and mat. Mats are tough. I cut one the other day, put in onto the painting and went back to no mat or glass again.Haven't given up though, will keep trying the mats!
I haven't seen that frame design before. Where did you find it??

JamieWG
01-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Sonia, thank you for taking the time to comment, and for your advice about cutting several mats at once. I need to have the painting done before I can choose a mat color. Sometimes I find frames with mats that have a gold-rimmed, 3x5 opening. Those mats seem to look great on everything! But the teeny tiny ones, way smaller than that, I guess we just have to cut ourselves if we don't want to shell out the bucks to the framer. :(

Lovely landscape, Jamie. Just wish I could see it better. I'll look for it in the Tsunami Project........

Thanks, Eileen! It might be hard to see, but on my screen it shows considerably larger than the actual painting! LOL. :eek: It really is a tiny one.

Jamie:
Nice work! :clap: :clap: It looks beautiful in that frame and mat. Mats are tough. I cut one the other day, put in onto the painting and went back to no mat or glass again.Haven't given up though, will keep trying the mats!
I haven't seen that frame design before. Where did you find it??

Bertoni, why did you give up on the mat? Is it that you didn't like the look, or weren't pleased with the way the cuts came out? About the frame....This is the first time I've used this frame design. Do you like it? I bought two of these, two of the same in an oval format, and one oval, silver, jeweled frame. I think I prefer wooden ones, but I haven't had luck finding inexpensive ones lately.

Jamie

paintsplatter
01-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Great job Jamie. You have a beautiful piece here. Wow, that must have been really difficult to cut such a small matt. I've been dealing with my matt cutter and still have to learn how to do it right without the darn corners curving..I don't like that..you know what I'm talking about? I saw someone say it was because the blade was dull..but ....nope...not so....I had a fresh blade and the corner cut still looked a littled curved.

Anway, I have to stronger glasses if I'm going to continue with this mini stuff. I'm having a difficult time seeing what I'm doing..lol

VeldaJ
01-20-2005, 06:08 PM
This is beautiful Jamie. It must have been difficult to paint so small but the result is certainly worth it.

Charlie's Mum
01-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Jamie, the Maped system is French I believe.....it involves measuring 2.5cms from the cut at each end. The blade housing runs up the ruler grooves so cannot slip, but it's tough work on the wrist and fingers, getting the right pressure.....however, for all its fiddly measuring, it's accurate and the corners are square!
Like Sonia, I do a few at the same time - even made a template of the measurements so I don't have to measure each time. :D

Bertoni
01-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Jamie:
I haven't given up on mats quite yet although I do prefer the look of a painting unmatted like oils! Whenever I mat a mini, I can't seem to get the matting to look even all around. That's my problem with matting the minis!! Heee..ee..lp! :confused:

Lorijo
01-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Its beautiful Jamie! I go along with everyone else, cutting a mat that small makes me shudder! We spent days in college cutting big mats out of poster board and I would always slip at the end, horrors! I haven't cut another mat since.

Has anyone found a source for mini-mats? Lori

Pilan
01-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Jamie, this is wonderful. I guess I will have to do a couple of minature plein air landscapes again. Wonderful work. :wave:

paintingcarlan
01-22-2005, 03:33 PM
This is an absolutely beautiful painting. You did a good job photographing it also. You can still see the detail eventhough it is little bitty. Your mat looks great also you would never know you had a hard time cutting it.

JamieWG
01-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Mitzi, what kind of a mat cutter do you have that's giving you curved corners? I've had plenty of problems cutting mats, but that would be a new one for me! I agree completely about the stronger glasses for minis! In fact, glasses weren't enough for this one. I'm going to need some other kind of magnification if I work 1x2" again. :(

VeldaJ, thank you!

Maureen, thank you for explaining a bit about the Maped system. It does sound a bit more complex than my Logan!

Bertoni, try using a slightly larger piece of matboard, cut the opening, then cut off the edges to the size you need. See if that helps! (That's how I had to do this one.)

Lori, when you ask about a source for mini mats, how small do you mean? Christmas Tree Shop had a nice assortment of double mats in various colors with 3x5 openings, to fit 5x7 frames, at a very good price.

Pilan, I keep thinking about that tiny box you set up to do plein air minis! Perhaps you could start a thread showing that box. I've been saving some Altoids tins since I saw that! LOL...Too cute.

Paintingcarlan, thank you for your kind remarks, and welcome to our little world here in the MA forum!

jamie

MKathleen
01-22-2005, 05:41 PM
:wave: Hi Jamie:
Excellent I love the subject matter and your colors are wonderful. As with Bertoni's painting beautiful little jewel! :clap: Geez I don't know if I could cut a mat that small........good job!!!!!
Wonderful that you are donating this painting good for you. :clap:
Kathy

jody007
01-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey Jamie,

That's so cute. Great job on painting and mat! :clap:

Jody