GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: La Mauricienne, Study
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I just spent about 3 hours on this study. It's still wet and I need to work on her further. Then I think I'm going to work on her on a large canvas with her upper body showing...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything? Any suggestions? Thanks!

dornberg
01-18-2005, 02:32 PM
i like the colors
and the selective emphasis

Mikey
01-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Rieko,

I've never seen anything quite like this before from you, so look forward to the big painting. Those colours really are a treat.

Mikey

jerryW
01-18-2005, 06:40 PM
daring color and good light and dark

Esmeralinda
01-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Hi there,

When I first read your title I thought you knew somebody from where I come from. "La Mauricie" in the Province of Québec, Canada. Then when I saw her face I understood she was from the Island.
Very nice study and very nice colours. She will be as beautiful painted on a larger canvas, I'm sure. Great job !

Linda :wave:

angela
01-18-2005, 07:18 PM
LOVE the way you handled the fabric...and the brush strokes in the face. Cant wait to see the big one!!!

Andrew Rance
01-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi Rieko! Your Mauritian lady is very striking and reminiscent of my visit to the island last year (and I STILL haven't painted anything from the 1000+ photos I took :confused: ). I hope you will resist the temptation to overpaint her - she is very fresh and vibrant as she is.

Tamana
01-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I love the emphasis of color placement - wonderful expression.

Rieko
01-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Dornberg, thank you for dropping by and commenting. I feel honored.

Mikey, well it's a new year; so I thought I would challenge myself with something different :D Thank you for your encouragement.

Jerry, thanks! I appreciate your pinpointed feedback all the time.

Bon Jour, Linda. Yes, she's from Ile Maurice where I live now. Thank you very much for your comment!

Angela, I appreciate your nice comment. I need to get one to dare myself going for a larger piece. :)

Andrew, hahaha... it will take you a long time to come down here from painting Venice, Italy! You need to conquer the African continent next. Anyway, I take your advice not to overpaint her. Thank you!

Tamana, thank you! She's my friend and oh boy, she has such a striking feature. So, I hoped I could capture her expression successfully. In this case, maybe half...