PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Beef...WIP

woodguy
01-18-2005, 12:12 AM
Normally when I start a new painting I have a pretty good feel of where I am going to go with it. Not with this one, though. I started it last night and have worked on it a bit tonight, and it has not started to "speak to me" yet. I am not going to quit just yet, so I will show my periodic stumbles and hopefully a final leap of this achieving a "keeper" status. 24 x 32, oil on MDF. So far mostly thin scrubbed on washes trying to find the right balance of value and hue. Any help you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. Jim

shirleyq
01-18-2005, 01:25 PM
I see a brightly lit meadow in the middle ground, some cows in shadow under the trees, the cow/bull on the right with sunlit highlights and highlights in the river/creek on the right. Is that anywhere close to where you are going?

I have pics of donkeys and horses that I took last year. You are giving me the inspiration to paint them, finally. :)

Thinking back to my cow knowledge :rolleyes: isn't this breed a dairy cow?

woodguy
01-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Shirley, accually they are "dreary" cows! And they ain't goin to work :crying: I thought that this had promise, but the more I look at what I have done so far I just do not see a reason to mess with it any longer. It is the composition I think that is most unsettling to me. It looks like a three layer cake. I am most confident when I have a strong diagonal component and I don't see a way yet to incorporate that into this. So, I am setting this one aside to experiment with. It may someday turn into something more interesting :wink2: But if it has made you think about going back and pulling out some old photos to do paintings of, then it has been of some value :) Banjo is a perfect example of what you can do with livestock. Jim