PDA

View Full Version : Fantin Latour Rose

Mikey
01-17-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm kind of new with this, I mean flowers and roses. I'm punching in tonal and colour contrast right now at this local colour stage. I'll probably put down more white on the left.

Any comments please, especially as to methods from flower painters.

Mikey

Gilberte
01-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Good Mikey ! Very good start ... just squint at your flower and look for those triangular shadows in between the petals and on the down petals as well. It'll turn ou fine I think.

Won't be able to check in on your progress until a day or two. PC is going to see a doctor as he's acting strangely these past days ... I'm not addicted you know but I'll miss the WC postings ... :evil:

Mikey
01-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Hey Gilberte, of course you are not addicted to WC and neither am I :evil:

I came across this wonderful website about a beautiful garden, good for quite a few paintings.

Mikey

LisaArt
01-18-2005, 02:23 AM
Hi Mikey, Just wanted to say hi, and wanted to say looking like a bravo start. Like the colours you are laying down.

And you got the best advice from our flower darling Gilberte. She knows her flowers.. :)

Mikey
01-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks for dropping bye Lisa. This one is important to me, because when I asked for permission to use the photos the owner said he'd like to put my paintings alongside the originals on his website. This offer exciting possibilties. We'll have to trust each other for that. The garden is a most beautiful place.

Mikey

Mikey
01-19-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm building up the rose's structure here and the colour is approximate only.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/28043-fantin_rose_2.jpg

LisaArt
01-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Gosh Mikey, thats looking wonderful...I love that pink.
Your colours are really building up. I cant wait to see this finished. BTW, the lucious dark green background is superb and really fitting.
Super news about posting your painting along side the picture...Congratulations..It will be stunning..Better then the picture. :clap:

I am having a rough day painting today... :confused:
Wish I could come on over and paint with you.
You are really kicking A$$$ today....

Mikey
01-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Many thanks Lisa. I trust you will relax and enjoy a good paint tomorrow.

Mikey

TScottDove
01-20-2005, 05:56 AM
Coming along magnificently. Roses can be so difficult - especially the lighter-colored ones. The petals at the bottom of the piece are terrific - great contrasts between light and shadow. Really getting a sense of the dimension there.

What is your medium and what size is this?

Mikey
01-20-2005, 06:12 AM
Many thanks for the confidence boost. Needless to say the guy who took the photo and wants the painting on his web site will know his roses, so I'm not going to fool him at all.

Oil paints on 16 x 12 inch canvas from the pad.

Mikey

Mikey
01-21-2005, 12:14 PM
I thought portraits were the most difficult things to paint, but reckon roses have come a close second. Maybe that's because I new to this. I feel this really does have to be my best because the rose grower is now expecting something. The actual colour is like a salmon pink, but I find it quite difficult to make that intense as I would like. I think an Alizarin pink would be acceptable, although maybe not so permanent.

Mikey

LisaArt
01-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi Mikey, I can imagine how difficult a rose is. I love flowers and have painted them a few times and I am just not good at them, I cant seem to get the contrasts between light & darks working for me and to paint so airy like. You have soft steady hand and your blending is super.
You really are handling your values and lights and darks magnificently.
I think the Alizarin pink is very acceptable, the colours I am seeing on my screen are super and very well blended. It looks like it is coming all together now..much smoother and much more depth
Mikey, curious about time, how long did you work on your beautiful rose today..

Mikey
01-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Kisa, I think there is a lot of similarlity between painting roses and portraits. The tonal values and structure come first, is I'm applying all the usual methods. It is suprising just how dark some of those shadows are. I'm keeping most of the delicate texture until later.

I've haven't been spending quite so much time painting these days and today had about an hour. It's easier to find time at night, when I can do the underpainting. I haven't kept an eye on the time, but maybe I spent five hours on this.

Mikey

laketrees
01-22-2005, 03:31 AM
Mikey I'm not a flower expert but this looks pretty good to me! You've captured a certain transparency and the colours are very subtle - somewhat like your portraits. :angel: :angel:
Cheers Kim

Mikey
01-22-2005, 05:44 AM
Thanks Kim. I use synthetic brushes: the Escoda Tadami Mongoose soon become as stiff as hogs, but the Escoda Teijin are more like watercolour brushes for softness. I mostly use a size 16 or 18 bright, but the pointed filberts, say size 10 or 14, are very useful to finish. I some times feel the need for a smaller brush, but the texture may come from dragging a larger flat with dry paint. There is no glazing here.

Mikey