PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher, January 17 - 23

Pat Isaac
01-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Welcome to the Oil Gusher! If you've never posted here before, consider this a special invitation to you to stop in and post, we'd really like to get to know you !

It's been fun to share our artwork, and now we have a place to get to know each other a little better, and share all that other interesting stuff that happens in our daily lives.

Tell us about yourself, your family (two or four-legged) and your ups and downs, or your in betweens.

The "Oil Gusher" is not the place to discuss politics, religion or our philosophies about life. WetCanvas provides both public and private chatrooms and a Debate forum for our members for this type of lengthy discussion. We want to make this a place for gentle camaraderie .

Please do join us!

:) :) :)

Pat Isaac
01-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi all,

Welcome to a new week. Woke to a new layer of snow, but only about 4 inches this time. Light an fluffy. Our bird feeder really gets a lot of guests when it snows. It is fun to watch the different varieties of woodpeckers vie for the suet.
I won't be around much tomorrow as I will be going into the city with some a friend who taught with me to judge the Boston Globe Scholastic Art Awards. These are works done by grades 7 - 12 from across the state. I do this most every year and it is nice that they still ask me since I have retired. I am always amazed at the work produced by the students. Gold and siver keys are awarded, plus honorable mentions. Each state is alloted a specific number of gold and silver keys and the gold keys awards go on to New York for national recognition. Seniors may also submit portfolios for consideration and scholarship awards. Nice opportunity for talented kids.

Pat

:wave:

CarlyHardy
01-18-2005, 02:09 AM
Hi Pat!
I know it's wonderful to see young people interested in art. I met the art instructor from the local high school last week and she was talking about some of the things the kids are doing....sounded like so much fun!! I wish there had been an art program in schools when I was young.

Our weather is very cold this week, but we don't have any snow....yet! I'm working on getting my thoughts organized for the workshop for oil pastels. This will be my first and I'm a bit nervous :)

I'm also getting ready for a show in February!! I'll have several oil pastel paintings ready to frame in another week....then I can relax until March :)

Keep warm!!
carly

Pat Isaac
01-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Hey, Carly. Not to worry about your OP workshop. :D I've seen your write ups for suppliers and WC and they are awesome. :clap: You will do fine.
The judging today was wonderful as I always like to see what is happening in the art programs of the schools in MA. It is always an uplifting experience, though you can see that some systems are really hurting.
Snow!!! It is extremely cold here. I remember our oldest daughter went ot Duke Universityin NC for her PHD and she commented on how nice the weather would be there in the winter. The first year that she was there she received more snow than we did. Unusual, but it does happen.

Don't be nervous. Enjoy. You know more than they do.

Pat :D :wave:

CarlyHardy
01-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Hey Pat, looks like we're the only ones talking this week :D

I just hope I can make them believe that I know more than they do....lol!! I'm going to have fun....hopefully everyone in the workshop will have fun too :)

I started an abstract today for the project.....hahahaha....I don't think I'm cut out for this "paint from my inner child" thing. So far I have some color on the paper but not much of an idea of where to go from there.

I had some good news today. I'll be hanging my work in a local church in February. I have a friend who coordinates shows for her church and she has sold quite a lot of artwork in the past couple of years for artists. She had ask me last year about doing a show but at the time I was committed to another venue but told her to ask again after the first of the year. We talked today and set a date :D Now I'll have to get more of my oilies framed :)

Hope you're keeping warm! It's chilly here (35 high today) but I know it must be a lot colder in your part of the world!

carly

Pat Isaac
01-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Hi Carly,
I'm sure you'll know more than they do. The last 2 workshops I did not one person knew about OPs. I feel that will be the case for the one I'm doing in March. Keep putting out the word.

That's great news about your upcoming show. How many pieces will you be putting in?

You're right...it is VERY cold here. Actually today is a bit of a heat wave at 17 degrees. We had another 4-5 inches of snow last night and now it's time to go shovel. My husband can't do it for a few weeks because of his cataract surgery. We do have a plow that does our very long driveway, but I will do the walks and the area around the bird feeder. Have to make sure the birdies get their food. This is one of my husband's projects.

I really hope to get to my studio today. I haven't been there in over a week!! :eek: I managed to get the cold that's going around so have been a little under the weather. Feel good today though so it's time to get out.....I also want to go to a few stores and find some still life stuff. Second hand stores are great for that stuff.

Time to man the shovel.

Pat
:wave:

Kathryn Wilson
01-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Wooohooooo - I sold my oil pastel painting I donated to the Tsunami Project! I don't know who bought it yet - I was completely surprised to see a "sold" on it when I was looking through the paintings recently posted.

:D

P.S. - sorry about that Pat - it was the beached boat oil pastel.

Pat Isaac
01-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Yeah, Kat.:clap: :clap: :clap:
Was it the egret?????
Pat

ColorMyWorld
01-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Congrats Kat!!!!!!
Very exciting!

Carly, the workshop is this weekend, isnít it? Good Luck! Although as Pat said, Iíve seen your write-ups so I know the people are going to enjoy your class.

I tend to think of Oil Pastels as something most people do not work in and have never even heard of but I recently had an encounter to the opposite.
I was making a business phone call. Chatting a bit first when the subject of art came up. Turns out this guy uses OPs and had just used them on a trip overseas!
Things like that make me start listening to see if I hear the theme from The Twilight Zone!

Pat Isaac
01-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Heehee, Ann....The Twilight Zone....I like it.
Interesting, though, your phone conversation. That is rare. Did you tell him to visit our site?

Very cold here today...below zero. Brrrrrrrr.....Big storm coming for the weekend...maybe.. :rolleyes:

The place that I have my studio is expanding again. When I was there yesterday, new studios were already half built. Within the next few months there will probably be approximately 30 new studios. That wil definitely make us the largest art collective in the area. :cool:

Stay warm...Pat :wave:

sundiver
01-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Hello from the Great White N-North! Yesterday we had a short nasty storm (called an Alberta Clipper) and a temp of -4. Today it's bright and sunny with a windchill of -35!
I've been busy swapping rooms-the computer room with the studio, and trying to organise items from both rooms. Will post pics when I get the studio finished. No windows at all. But it's nice and warm!
Pat, I used to belong to a studio co-op in a big loft when I lived in Winnipeg. It was nice to be around fellow artists. But WC will have to fill that function nowadays- it's too far to go into the city now.
I have students staying late to paint murals on the basement walls (Van Gogh's Cafe Plaza At Night is what they're working on at the moment), and have to go shoo them home, so I can go home! We've gradually been turning the dungeon-like basement (where my artroom is located, naturally :rolleyes: ) into a gallery of art.

Pat Isaac
01-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Wendy, sounds like a great project that you are doing with the kids. They love that kind of thing and it makes for a great cooperative effort and a sense of pride.
When I was teaching, one of the things I loved doing every year was painting the store windows in town for the holiday season. The kids loved doing it and the merchants loved having them do it.
It is great having a lot of artists around and it baries from day to day. Some come during the day, some at night and others only on the weekend. WC also fills that function to a great degree.
Stay warm...6 degrees here now and a major storm is predicted for the weekend. It may come your way.

Pat

artbyjune
01-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Kat, congrats on the sale :clap:

Karly, good news on the upcoming show. I hope its a big hit.

I was just thinking of approaching our local city church to talk over the possibility of putting on a show sometime...maybe summer, but I want to get a few more items ready to take in order to 'persuade' them to give it a go.

Apart from that thought, I'm not doing very much at the moment. Dog-walking seems to be biting into my time. I need to retrain my dog to accept a shorter walk!! (And he's only a yorkie - pint sized) :D

Pat Isaac
01-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Go for it, June. You have great imaginative work. Yorkies are so cute. There is a woman at my studio who has one and brings him every day with her to the studio while she works.

We are in the throes of an ocean storm blizzard. About 3 feet of snow on the ground and 60 mile an hour winds. The snow has finally subsided but the wind continues. We are buried for awhile.

Pat :wave: