PDA

View Full Version : Basics 101:Class 10 - Still Life - Old thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

JayD
01-16-2005, 11:54 PM
Basics 101: Class 10

Still Life

I think that many of us think of Sill Life as objects nicely arranged on a stand with maybe a lacey doily or sitting on some nice reflective and highly varnished grain of wood.—flowers neatly arranged, organized, categorized and lined up like an identification session in a police line up. Still life is still, we think—and don’t you forget it. Still life is always indoors and is always an arrangement.

I think not. Look at Albrect Durer’s “Great Piece of Turf” for example which was painted in 1503—Turner and his “four fish”(around 1822) and lastly Andrew Wyeth’s bucket post which was painted in 1953. ALL are examples of still life. Objects that present no movement—are still—not moving—yet by their very arrangement represent an element of life itself—hence, Still Life.

Still Life can be your traditional arrangements of course but you are NOT limited to painting still life indoors—ANY non living object that you can contain in a composition can be a still life, whether it be indoors or out side can be considered to be a still life.

Still Life can be said to be a collection of objects combined into an ordered composition that represents a slice of life. Can a still life convey a meaning of importance—some tragic memory or represent a political or artistic statement? Of course they can—look a the work of such noted artists such as WC member Arlene Steinberg. Her work is clean and pristine—well executed technically and on the outside looking in you get a sense of the still life as a pretty picture—but look deeper at some of her work and you will see an in depth mode of thinking—a poignancy of the soul and a sensitivity to these tragic times that lately seem to engulf our lives.

For this class I will be doing a pencil version of the De Reyna demonstration—though not taking it to its final moment—that is for you to do. I have also prepared a demonstration of a quick color pencil sketch of a still life picked from our WC image archive. I am also going to supply you with other examples of still life in which you can practice your newfound skills.

Do the De Reyna exercise with pencil but the demo or any other example that you choose may be in color or may be of any media of your choose. At this point, I want you to go ahead and have some fun—experiment and explore your possibilities. If you have the courage, do a still life in a medium that you have never used before.

Materials:

Paper: Your Choice—I am using Stonehenge and Arches
Pencils: Again, your choice.

Demonstration One: The De Reyna Still Life:

Stage 1: I have drawn the line drawing in the De Reyna book. For the purposes of this demonstration, I am leaving all the lines intact. When you have your shapes complete, normally you would erase the lines but my point here is to consider everything in the composition that you CANNOT see. All of these objects overlap with each other BUT they will always be independent three-dimensional objects. ALWAYS DRAW EACH OBJECT SEPARATELY.

Stage two: I have started to add volume to the objects. The paper that I have chosen as my surface is Arches 140 pound watercolor paper. I like drawing on watercolor paper because it has a marvelous texture. It does have a tendency to wear down the graphite quickly and so you have to sharpen more unless you are using a mechanical pencil.

Stage three: I now have added shading and have started to work on the cloth. Colored in the table and continued work on the texture. You could take this further by adding wood grain or by texturing the background. It is entirely up to you. The point is that once you have identified and drawn the shapes, you now have total control to just let yourself go and be as creative as you think you can be.

Demonstration 2: CP of WC Library Reference

Stage 1: In this second still life, I have again created a basic line drawing of the fruits and the vessels. In this case, the drawing consists of spheres and ellipses. Very elemental objects but when combined make a lovely still life. I started by using an indigo blue pencil to create the initial sketch.

Stage 2: Next I continue with the indigo pencil to created a toned drawing. I ease off the grapes with the indigo pencil a bit because the blue will over power the yellow in the picture.

Stage 3: finally, I add the colors—tuscan red and scarlet lake for the plums and yellow carnary, green and olive green for the grapes.

The paper that I have used here is Stonehenge while I have use Prismacolor brand pencils.

Exercise One: Do the first demonstration—ONLY MAKE IT YOUR OWN. Do the breakdown of the shapes and let us see those—then move on to finish your still life.

[Ed.: reference is here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2010/142886-pot-reference.jpg

Exercise Two: Do the second Demonstration—ONLY CHOOSE YOUR OWN MEDUM. Be as creative as you would like.

[Ed.: reference is here/ http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=42686] (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=42686%5D)

Exercise Three: Choose one of the extra photo that I have included OR consider doing one of your own choosing. If you do one of your own—explain how you came about choosing your objects, how you decided upon setting up your composition and your choice of paper and medium.

ABOVE ALL

HAPPY DRAWING!!!

JayD
01-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Here is the second demonstation:

JayD
01-16-2005, 11:57 PM
here is the finished piece:

JayD
01-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Finally, here are some practice samples:

mothsailor
01-17-2005, 04:02 AM
Thanks JayD! Those demonstrations are really helpful. The photos look quite a challenge! Maybe I'll try doing one in pastel...I've never used it, but someone gave me some for Christmas... :eek:

Deb Leger
01-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Wow Jay, I love this lesson! Can't wait to get going. I'll have the pdf done tonight after class.

Deb
(who is now slinking away, hopefully undetected, 'cause she didn't get her trees done yet. :D )

Fireman's kid
01-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Wow Jay! Good lesson! Thanks for showing us the steps in your drawings. I always find that helpful.

But (GULP) three assignments! :eek: I guess I really don't need to sleep. :D Will do my best, teach!

(Stacy who is slinking away after Deb because she hasn't finished her tree yet either. :o )

Cathie Jones
01-17-2005, 11:30 AM
WOW! COLOR! I'm a happy camper!

But, like Stacey, I'd have to go without sleep to do three this week. But, you know, it does make it simpler to draw everything completely and then erase the unneeded lines. :wink2:

Cathie
(who is walking tall 'cause she finished her tree!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2005/23460-smiley_happy.gif

JayD
01-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Hi, folks--glad you are enjoying the class--just do what you can and try to get the most from what you do. You do not have to do all three excercises--but do try to do at least one or make up a still life yourself. I would rather see one good one then three hurriedly done ones.

:)

Cathie Jones
01-17-2005, 12:59 PM
I would rather see one good one then three hurriedly done ones. :)

I seem to remember a high school history teacher who said almost the same thing about a report I turned in! It was about a country, and each area (geography, imports, exports, etc.) contained one or two sentences!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2005/23460-smiley_fail_grade.gif

Mary Woodul
01-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Hi! JayD and class. This is going to be a lot of fun. Can we choose one from the reference pictures you added for the still life you want to make our own?

JayD
01-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi, Mary--these refeences are for your use and you may use them OR come up with one of your own--you are free to do either or both! :)

mhimeswc
01-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Yikes! Three projects this week??? I may have to put my latest watercolor aside for a while. I can see that my housework isn't going to get done this week either. Whew! Better get started. :D

Michelle

mothsailor
01-17-2005, 05:10 PM
OK, here's stage 1 of project 1. It looks like the creamer is a bit thin. Any other problems anyone can see?

Mary Woodul
01-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Dave, your's is looking good and I just discovered from it that I forgot to cross my elipses. I just drew a straight line through them.

I don't know what I clicked on my new camera program that made it sharper but in real life it hardly shows up. :eek:

This is also my 1st step of exercise 1.

Edited because I just saw that the cup is to close to the coffee pot or something is out of place.

mothsailor
01-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Mary, I don't think it's the cup, I think the creamer needs to move over to the right. Are the elipses of the cup and saucer a bit too circular? Not sure. Looking good, though. Is that watercolour paper?

Mary Woodul
01-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Yes Dave, I believe your right, thank you. The paper is a pad of Bockingford paper, for watercolour, pastel, ink,etc. I had never used it before but it has a nice texture to it.

Judi1957
01-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Evening All!

It's a Subbie Subbie nite.

If anyone has the How to Draw what you see, it is very helpful to have that by you when you are drawing to check diameters, ellipses, etc.

Hi Dave (isn't the teachers pet always first to hand in the assignment? :evil: )
Nice work Dave. I agree the creamer is a tad too thin at the base.
The space between where you hold the pot handle and the pot is closer in your rendering than in the original reference. Or did you turn to pot a hair? :D (boy, that sounds familiar, hey CJ :D ).
The bottom ellipse of the pot is more round than it should be as is the saucer. Check the centering of the pots lid knob. looks off center, but I see you drew the centerline so it may be the scan. Tha base of the cup looks too small.

Hey Mary! :wave: Seems like it's been a while since I saw you. Looking really good. Besides what Dave mentioned, I think the base of your pot is too narrow. Can't see the ellipse at the bottom of the creamer to comment.

Deb, CJ and Stacy :wave:

sultry
01-17-2005, 08:15 PM
hi everyone,
Judi ty for subbing tonite and I checked prior classes if you could look on class 3 for me Werner posted a clock and books. I C&C'd but I think it needs your expert subbie eye :). Also check on Stacy's cute bunnies in class 7. Thanks.
Hey Dave & Mary Judi already C&C on your work so I will just say you two are on the ball (already stage one is done).
I have something very unusual for this project (and yes something of my own creation). lol

Judi1957
01-17-2005, 08:20 PM
I have something very unusual for this project (and yes something of my own creation). lol
Should we be suprised at this from the 'Queen of Imagination'? LOL
Really good to see you Sults! :D
I'll check on Werner's post to see if there is anything else to say. :)

Mary Woodul
01-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Hi!Judi and Sultry :wave: , good to see you all this evening. Thanks for the C&Cs.

Sultry, can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve this time. No more spidycones, please!!!!!! :evil:

JayD
01-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Hey mary--here is a still life tip for everyone to help get the very best out of your compostions:

If you are unsure of how you want your painting to look--do your initial sketch on heavy tracing paper or transparent vellum. Then cut OUT all of the objects in the compostion. Now you just move them around until you get a compostion that you like. give it a shot!

Cathie Jones
01-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Here's my initial sketch of project 1. I erased the construction lines and the overlapping object lines so pending C&C it's ready to trace and transfer.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2005/23460-smiley_sherlock.gif

Judi1957
01-18-2005, 12:25 AM
CJ!!!! How have you been? Did you get to your latest concert (around LA I believe)?
So nice the thread is moving again! :D
And you are going color and happy. I am just curious as to your fruit container. What is it, ceramic, brass, copper? Looking good!
See you all tomorrow. Nite!

mothsailor
01-18-2005, 03:48 AM
Hi Dave (isn't the teachers pet always first to hand in the assignment? :evil: )
Nice work Dave. I agree the creamer is a tad too thin at the base.
The space between where you hold the pot handle and the pot is closer in your rendering than in the original reference. Or did you turn to pot a hair? :D (boy, that sounds familiar, hey CJ :D ).
The bottom ellipse of the pot is more round than it should be as is the saucer. Check the centering of the pots lid knob. looks off center, but I see you drew the centerline so it may be the scan. Tha base of the cup looks too small.

Yeah, but apart from that, it's fine, right! :) :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, Judi! And yes, of course I am as ever the perfect, model student!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2005/52179-littleangel.gif

CJ: yours is looking good to me.

Judi1957
01-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Morning 'lil Angel Dave :wave:

mothsailor
01-18-2005, 06:29 AM
Morning Judi. You're up bright and early!

Judi1957
01-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Its early, but too bright. :)

JayD
01-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Cathie, regarding your sketch--go ahead and do the fruilt sitting on the table as well and give a shot at tackling the reflection on the bowl. To start the reflection you simply consider it to be just another piece of fruit to draw.. :)

mothsailor
01-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Check the centering of the pots lid knob. looks off center, but I see you drew the centerline so it may be the scan.

Here's a tip for you all! I've discovered that drawing the centreline only helps if you actually draw it straight up the centre! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2005/52179-eusa_doh.gif :rolleyes:

Deb Leger
01-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Ann, CJ and Jay, I just sent out the completed pdf file to you.

Dave, Mary and CJ, all three of you are really going great guns! Your drawings are all looking good.

A quick question, don't you find drawing on cold pressed wc paper a bit rough? I could see the hot pressed being great for drawing, but the cold pressed too? When I'm transferring a drawing to the CP wc paper, I always think how it's a good thing I'm just transferring the basic lines because I find it too rough to get good detail in there. Just wondering.

Deb

And this is for CJ who is walking tall ---> :p :D

Cathie Jones
01-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Mornin' everyone - and thanks for looking. Judi, the bowl is just an outline right now, I'm just looking for the shapes and will define them once I get them on other paper.

JayD, the fruit on the table and in the reflection are there, just not dark enough to see. The only thing I've left out for now is the shadows in the background. That will also be done on other paper.

:angel: Dave, you're absolutely right about straight lines. I think we all learn that the hard way!

Deb, I've transferred two things to CP watercolor paper and it was too rough, at least the 140#. Maybe 90# would be smoother. (Thanks for the :D )

Have to get ready for work now, see y'all later!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2005/23460-smiley_go_team.gif

JayD
01-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Deb when working on paper like cold pressed wc, try working with a mechancial pencil OR if you are using a regular pencil rotate it as you draw so that the point stays sharper longer. The key to drawing on rough paper and achieving detail is to keep the pencil sharp. Currently, I have been playing with Arches.

Mary Woodul
01-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey mary--here is a still life tip for everyone to help get the very best out of your compostions:

If you are unsure of how you want your painting to look--do your initial sketch on heavy tracing paper or transparent vellum. Then cut OUT all of the objects in the compostion. Now you just move them around until you get a compostion that you like. give it a shot!
Hey JayD, thanks for the tip, that is great and I'll try it with the last exercise.

Cathie your bowl is looking super. :clap:

Good morning, Judi, Dave :angel:, Deb. This is a stupid question, but how do you transfer? I hear you all talking about transfer paper and don't know what your talking about. I jumped into painting without all of the basics, sorry. :confused: :o

Mary Woodul
01-18-2005, 11:41 AM
This is step 2 of exercise 1. As always, I see the mistakes one it is on the screen. I don't know if it is the mouth of the creamer?

bjcpaints
01-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Thats looking really good Mary. I guess I have to get started on mine soon.
Barbara

Cathie Jones
01-18-2005, 11:50 AM
:clap: Great step 2, Mary!! :clap: Transferring is a 2-part process. You make your initial drawing dark enough to see it through tracing paper. Tape tracing paper to your drawing and trace it. Then you put the tracing paper over graphite paper (something like carbon paper), on top of the paper you want to use for the final artwork. Trace lightly over your traced image and it transfers to the new paper.

My image is just an outline because I'll do all of the shading after it's transferred, and will lighten and/or erase the outlines as I go along.

'splained?

JayD, my problem with watercolor paper is that the roughness keeps the graphite from getting into the 'grooves,' so I end up with a very splotchy look. I'll see if I have any 90# paper to try this one on - otherwise, 300# might work. It's heavier but not necessarily rougher.

mothsailor
01-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Mary, That's looking good!

You can do the transfer without using fancy (and expensive!) transfer paper. Just scribble on the back of the tracing paper with a soft pencil. Works the same way.

Cathie Jones
01-18-2005, 12:16 PM
You can do the transfer without using fancy (and expensive!) transfer paper. Just scribble on the back of the tracing paper with a soft pencil. Works the same way.

Aw, come on, Dave. Some of us live to buy more/newer/better/faster art supplies! :D Think I'll try it your way, though. I always end up with the lines too dark when I use the graphite paper. ;)

sultry
01-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Mary you have good advise for transferring from both CJ & Dave.
Only, Do not use store transfer paper it leaves too dark of a mark. If you scribble with a soft B# pencil enough graphite will be transferrable. It will not be as dark either.

Now your actually shading your objects, remember to follow each nook and cranny with the side of your pencil to get the over-all 3d effect.
break down each object into as many geo shapes as possible for instance your lip of your creamer would be a thin curve cylinder shape that sits above a cone sideways. Then after you have broken them down, shade each geo shape as it should be shaded. That is how you are able to make the lip of the creamer pop out. Remember to apply the perspective of it too as you shade in your darks and lights. Great Job so far :clap:

Cathie Jones
01-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Hi Sults! Did your daughter make it home yesterday?

Deb Leger
01-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi Jay, when painting watercolour, Arches is the ONLY paper I use. I've tried others and always keep coming back to the ARches. I'll give the mechanical pencil a try. Currently, when putting a drawing on "special" paper, I've been using the me teintes paper (the kind you use for pastel). But I also have these two sheets of 90 lb hp that I was told to get for a workshop several years ago and there's no way I'll paint on 90 lb, so I can always use it for drawing.

CJ, that's exactly what I find - can't get the pencil into the grooves. Ungroovy. I would think though that the 300 pound paper would be much more ... groovy. Bumpy. I find it is when painting on it. But I love the bumps when painting. Just not when drawing.

Mary, when I transfer a drawing to watercolour paper with the intent to paint, I just slap the thing down on my light table and voila! :D I found out the hard way to always do my main drawing on regular paper - that way avoiding all the stress of ruining one with paint. Because I did a few that I ruined and was just NOT INTO re-drawing the entire thing again. So, after a few of those, I started drawing out on paper, tracing onto the watercolour paper and easing a lot of stress, knowing that if I was to ruin that painting, I could easily trace another one from my original drawing onto wc paper in about ten minutes. I was very lucky to get the light table I have - it's actually an old x-ray light table from the hospital. I knew the stores manager very well and when they replaced all their old x-ray lights for very hi-tech stuff, about twenty-five years ago, I snapped this one up! (At the time, to use as a light table for photographic slides.) It's huge (lighted section of about 16x 20) and has a very strong light. You can even see through 300 lb paper with it.

(Another note, Mary, when you transfer your drawing with the intent to watercolour it, you don't transfer your shading - just the basic outlines. Since watercolour is transparent, you would see all those shaded areas through the paint, and it would most likely mix with the paint too, thereby making one ungawdly mess. :D Another thing to remember is when transferring to watercolour paper to paint, do not press hard, otherwise you create these tiny little canals in which the paint gathers like crazy, then you have all these dark painted lines/canals as an outline.)

At my painting class, my instructor has us take a piece of charcoal and rub completely over the back side of the drawing. Wipe it with paper towel and then place your drawing over the wc paper and re-draw over the lines. But the thing I don't like about that is the major smudging from all that charcoal. But it works good if you're in a pinch.

Deb

PS - I'm doing the happy dance today, just found out that two of my w/c paintings were accepted into the annual juried art exhibition here in town! :D :D

sultry
01-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Hi Sults! Did your daughter make it home yesterday?
Hi CJ :wave:
We still have not heard any word from her but she will not be going straight home they have her on a 2 week mission here in the states, b4 she can even see family. :(

PS - I'm doing the happy dance today, just found out that two of my w/c paintings were accepted into the annual juried art exhibition here in town!

Congratulations Deb :clap: :clap: may we see a link to them??? purty pweeze

mothsailor
01-18-2005, 12:49 PM
PS - I'm doing the happy dance today, just found out that two of my w/c paintings were accepted into the annual juried art exhibition here in town! :D :D

Congratulations! That's great news! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2005/52179-boogie.gif
(Bet CJ can come up with a better happy dance smiley than that!)

Cathie Jones
01-18-2005, 01:47 PM
But I like your happy dance, Dave!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2005/23460-smiley_dance_line.gif

Mary Woodul
01-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Thank you, CJ, Dave, Sultry and Deb. That is a lot of information, I'll have to try all of it and would love to find one of those light tables.

Deb, congratulations on your paintings. Are we going to able to see them?

Sultry, I'll work on the perspective of the creamer and thank you for the advice.

Hi Barbara :wave: , thank you for your comment.

mothsailor
01-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Here's my shaded stage.

Sorry to hear that you still haven't heard from your daughter yet Sults. Must be even more frustrating in a way to know she is in the US but to still not be able to talk to her. Still, at least she is safe, and that's the main thing.

JayD
01-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Mary, you can either build or buy a light table. To build one

1. first, build a box out of wood--as fancy or as simple as you like.

2. You will need two to four flourescent lights depending on how brightt yo want to go and a light switch of your choosing. Install these into the box. Attach the switch to the outsided of the box--some people actually install a dimmer switch so that they can control the intensity of the light.

3. Lastly, obtain a piece of FROSTED glass or plexiglass and secure that to the top of the box. Plug in and enjoy.

If you cannot build the box yourself --there is always somebody handy around that can help you or even your local hardware store.

This box is a lot cheaper then the ones that you buy at a store and in some ways are better to use.

sultry
01-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks Dave I am a little frustrated but oh well it will all go away as soon as I hear HER voice. :)
Dave your following the subjects so well. I do see in the pot a spot that seems to connect to the bottom of the saucer plate. If it is the way the scan shows it darker then disregard my suggestion. Try to blend it so it does not look one straight line.
Just keep up the good shading in following the geo shapes on the cloth too. So far so good to me.

Judi1957
01-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Graphite paper :cool: ? Had never heard of it, I do it :angel: Dave's method.
Going to draw up a light table plan for DH's next wood project. :D

Evening Sultry and All :wave:

mothsailor
01-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Evening everyone. Here is an update.

A lightbox does seem like a very useful thing to have, but it sounds bulky.

Judi1957
01-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Dave,
I'm just gonna have Pat build another room for all the 'stuff' :D

Hey, your drawing looks wonderful.
:clap: :clap:
I think you need some more values to establish your shapes. Attaching finished drawing from th HTDWYS book so you can check this.

Mary Woodul
01-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Mary, you can either build or buy a light table. To build one

1. first, build a box out of wood--as fancy or as simple as you like.

2. You will need two to four flourescent lights depending on how brightt yo want to go and a light switch of your choosing. Install these into the box. Attach the switch to the outsided of the box--some people actually install a dimmer switch so that they can control the intensity of the light.

3. Lastly, obtain a piece of FROSTED glass or plexiglass and secure that to the top of the box. Plug in and enjoy.

If you cannot build the box yourself --there is always somebody handy around that can help you or even your local hardware store.

This box is a lot cheaper then the ones that you buy at a store and in some ways are better to use.

Thanks a million JayD, I've got it made with these instructions. I had to laugh about there always someone around that can help me put it together. In a home with a husband and three adult sons, someone should be able to do it, but there is a saying in Spanish that translated means, at the blacksmiths home the hoe is made of wood. So I will probably make it myself, it doesn't look that complicated. Just kidding they would do it for me.

Dave, you beat me, your drawing is done and looks good, it has a special signature to it.

Sultry, I know how you must feel but as Dave says she is safe now and probably very busy with job duties.

Judi, I'm glad I wasn't the only one that had not heard of graphite paper and I will have to do it Dave's way also, until I make my table, because they don't have it down here.

Judi1957
01-18-2005, 07:52 PM

Deb, Sorry I missed this! I'm dancing right with you! CONGRATS! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sultry
01-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey Dave that is looking good and like Judi says just needs more layers of values to come through.

Hi Judi nice thanks for showing that ( I still do not have the book).

Yes Mary I know but I still worry lol.

Well you guys, Here is my Still life (Almost forgot to post the first stage already started on 2nd stage of shading in, sorry Jay) it is an excavator that was set to rest on a little knoll and what it is starting to uncover is a child's stuffed animal. So far used only 4H pencil.
This is very personal statement on my behalf by the way, My father used to have excavators and taught me to operate a D9 when I was in a very bad time in my life. Also, my BF has excavators in his business and so I associate them to strength and a fatherly figure who owns them and who I look up to and can feel free to feel my innocense again with. Hence, the uncovering of the stuffed tigger (my tigger).

edited to add.. sorry for the smudgy scan :(

JayD
01-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi guys--Sutry--love the "excavator". I just got back from the FIL/CBI site and just updated the site which involves downloading our test kits and updating them and reconverting them to pdf. Whew!

Mary, let us all know how your adventures with the light table goes.

Deb, I go 140 only and Arches is what I, too, use exclusively--I cannot afford the 300(sigh). You have to think of this paper like it is a pencil sharpener or pencil dullerer-thingy. With all those valleys you are just asking for a dull pencil so you have to keep sharpening or clicking--its kind of like colored pencils. Let me know how you fare. :)

Deb! Congrats you watery devil you!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi--You can get graphite as either black or white graphite transfer paper--I generally avoid graphite paper because, I don't really feel in control with it but that is a persnal opinion. YOu can also rub graphite on the BACK of your prelim drawing and transfer it that way. :)

Dave--Bulky light box--build your own--consider building a collapsable version--one you can dismantle an put away--you can use wood and screws or aluminum striips and screws for the box--just take it apart and just put it away.

Sults--I hope you hook up with your daughter really soon. I know it can be frustrating. Let us know as soon as you know.

Judi1957
01-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Hey Sults,
You really know how to put your heart and soul into a piece! :clap: :clap:
I cannot C & C the machines body because I do not know how exactly a D9 is put together. The track is looking good! . Will anyone/anything be driving the D9?, it appears to be an empty seat.

JayD, I have always used the graphite on the back to transfer, but Pat said he will build me my light board! :D He is a master carpenter, lucky me!
Used to use a light table when we had to hand draft floor plans, Dave - you would like it.

cmwynn
01-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Deb - congratulations about the paintings. It is exciting to hear about them.
I agree with Dave, the center line only helps if it is straight. I was fairly satisfied with my drawing until I saw it on the computer. The pot and carafe are getting friendly, leaning toward each other.
Jay - It sounds like a great idea to use cut-outs to work on composition, I will try that. I have done preminary sketches in charcoal, moving things around on top of old placements until I wonder which is the final sketch.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2005/29839-Still_livexm.jpg

JayD
01-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Hi connie, I was getting ready to PM you--I was wondering if you were still with us!! I am glad you are still in the class. Your drawing is not too shabby. I like the tonal worke especially. You and Dave have stated an obvious point but also obviously overlooked--you DO need to draw the center line straight or it will throw your drawing off center. Imagine drawing a crooked duck--NOW that would be somehing!!!

Cathie Jones
01-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Connie, the reflections on that pot are absolutely FANTASTIC!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2005/23460-smiley_clap_hands.gif

nancy_ellen56
01-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself...I just joined the class, have been looking at everyone's work...really enjoying all the great drawing...I am busy playing catch up but will post my assignment in a few days...

Judi1957
01-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Hey Connie, So glad you are still with the class. :clap: :clap: Sounds like JayD is doing a roll call ( hurry and get in your seat! ) I agree with JayD, centerlines need to be established .Also, go back and review the original posts by JayD on page 1 and look at the ellipsodial shapes of the tops of your creamer and cup as well as the shapes. Looking great Connie!

Hey there CJ! :wave: Are there one million smieys at Smiley Centeral. You and Dave make so many smiles! :D

Nancy, Hi again!!! :wave: Looking forward to knowing you better, We have a wide variety of artists as well as a lot of personalities! So pleased you have joined us! :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
01-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Morning All :wave:

Please remember to rate the thread! :D

mothsailor
01-19-2005, 06:28 AM
Good morning class!

Thanks for the comments...I didn't think I was done yet! I want to put in some wood grain on the shelf and a background as well.

Connie, CJ is right, those reflections are great.

Sults, your excavator is looking good already. Must be fun to drive one of those things!

Nancy, hello and welcome!

I'll have to see if I can find the time to make a lightbox. I found these instructions (http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/weekend/tracingbox.shtml) on the web. Is this the sort of thing you have in mind?

Judi1957
01-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Dave :wave: , That's a lightbox! Thanks for the link! :D

vasilkadifeli
01-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Here is my leaning pot drawing :rolleyes:... tried to change the view point of the original, and put also the objects on a shelf... wasn't carreful enough so the pot is leaning :(... this approximately a 9"x6" drawing on 56 lb local drawing paper...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/32140-cls10.jpg

mothsailor
01-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Hi Vasil, Glad you've caught up! As well as the lean on your pot, I think the creamer also looks as if it is squashed. There's also something not quite right with the lid of the pot. This is a great start!

Cathie Jones
01-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Good morning class!! Welcome, Nancy. Glad to see a new face.

And Vasil!!! Good to see another 'old' face, too!

Class, if you're not familiar with Vasil's work, he's an excellent watercolorist.

Got my fruit bowl transferred last night, but that's about all. I used the pencil-on-the-back-of-the-tracing-paper method with a 6B and it worked great. Came out a little dark, but was easily lightened by dabbing with a kneaded rubber eraser, and it didn't leave the smudges I always get with grapite paper. Thanks, Dave, for sending me in that direction!!!

Oops . . . time's up . . . gotta run . . . no time for smileys . . . well, maybe just one.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/23460-smiley_grouphug.gif

cleo99
01-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Connie - Excellent heavy metal!

Sults - Operating a D9 sounds like alot of fun, might relieve some of the stress of waiting for your daughter, hope she gets home soon!

JayD - Yipes this feels like 9th grade! I bought the book, I read the book, I'm doing the excercises! Maybe next week for the book report, the drawing is too much fun!

Here is Step 1 for this class. Now that I'm posting it, the glass top of the pot looks a little funky.

sultry
01-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Morn All,
Wow alot of posted since I have been on this thread, this class is really moving today. :)

First I would like to say HI Connie and Jay already C&C your piece so all I will add to it is that I do like how your pot & creamer look like metal and the reflections are wonderful.

Hi Dave, thanks for C&C on Vasil's piece.

Vasil, another thing I noticed is that you need to do your drawing very lightly so the shading is what we see and not a line edge. You do wonderful shading by the way. Your pot is leaning because you need a straighter center line skeleton to start from. Your lid is an elispe that is almost a circle so you need to flatten it more to make it look like viewer is looking at from front not above front. All you need to do is fix them on this paper & copy them to tracing paper and re apply them to a fresh piece paper in a straight view. If you do your elispes for the lid in correct porportion it will come out ok. Just take that pot down in all the geo shapes it has on it. Also remember to add perspective to the shapes as well.

It was not easy to draw the excavatior till I broke each piece in geo shapes and made sure each piece had its correct perspective to it. & very glad you caught up to the class. :wave:

Hi yas, CJ :wave: Hi again Nancy :wave:

Hey Hey Cleo I was wondering where you were? Ok Cleo read what I told Vasil. Your elispe is off on lid. I also think you drew your centerline in the pot so it looks like it is in above view perspective. Hey glad you caught up as well.

But I do expect to see book reports and projects done by both you & Vasil in the near future. :evil: Its for your own good ...practice practice practice

OK, field trip time.....2 of them
I just wanted to inform you all that our Barbara has a thread "ever faithful" on going in W/A. It is a tribute to a dog (Daisy) who past on. Also she is donating to the Tsunami project. So, do go and take a peek at what a wonderful artist she is. Also, bug her to show her dog rock paintings on that thread. Maybe she will just post them for us to see. :)

Also, Judi our other subbie has a thread going on here in D/S entitled "sassy girls". It is of her daughter and her friend and it is a WIP and she has done a great job already in getting the likeness.

I encourage all of you, to start threads, it gives you confidence in your artwork.

Oh, My drawing is not the D9 it is of a smaller excavator. The D9 is as big as a 2story house. This little guy is called a ViO-75 he is not big at all. Anyways, I must admit it is fun sketching this. I thought I would not like it at all but BF likes it too. Hey he even offerred to set me up a whole new drafting table with light box (complete with new computer and office furniture) if I try to learn how to do landscaping plans for his excavating jobs. Ok I now need drafting class 101. lol

Fireman's kid
01-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Wow, lots going on in this thread today! And we have a big crowd, some people who have caught up like me, others who have rejoined and even a new face. Well, I say, the more the merrier! :clap:

Since all of the drawings have been C&C'ed already, I'll just say everyone is doing great! I hope to be able to post my start tonight.

Deb, saw the news about your paintings. CONGRATS!! :clap: I too would love to see them.

Okay, off to get the kids from school. Hope to be back with something to post tonight. :wave:

Judi1957
01-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Afternoon All :wave:

Sults, I had no idea what W/A was so I took the field trip thru the Member directory. I got my exercise for the day, pant, pant, pant!
Lovely dog Barbara has done! :clap: :clap:

Deb Leger
01-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Sultry, DAve, Mary, Judi, Jay, Connie and Stacey, thanks for the congrats! I'm in the process of starting a proper website, but in the meantime, you can see the two of them here (http://www.geocities.com/ca_riverdancer/crag05.html).

The drawings all look great!!! I find the ones that lean a bit to be very charming! They remind me of Alice in Wonderland! Connie, your reflections are wonderful! I'm hoping to work at mine tonight.

Sultry, your drawing of the excavator looks good, too. Your stuffed tigger reminds me of Eeyore though.

Deb

cleo99
01-19-2005, 01:16 PM
I had an extended tour as well, there are some very different things in Wearable Art.

(It's in Animals & Wildlife)

I write for a living and swap letters all the time. It's really hard to edit for them.

But it is fun to take a trip though all the astonishing places there are in WC

mhimeswc
01-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Wow! Everyone's drawings are coming along great! (Even those that are leaning). :)

I haven't started mine yet (sigh!) and I still owe another landscape from the book report project, and I think a gazebo from way back in cylinders. I'm trying to finish a large poinsettia painting as well as catch up on long neglected household chores that are reaching emergency status. Maybe I will find time to pick up a pencil tonight.

Oh, and for those who don't have a lightbox, your window makes an excellent lightbox. Just tape your good paper to your drawing, hold it up to a window (must be daytime) and voila!

Michelle

sultry
01-19-2005, 02:03 PM
:clap: ~~~ WoW DeB ~~~ :clap: beautiful work is that Venice?

Ok, Ok, I am very bad at turning letters around I admit it. As Jay would say...
Bad Sultry; Bad Sultry(inserts blushing smiley here). Sorry for botching that up Barbara. Sorry for sending everyone on a Wild Goose chase but hey you discovered there is more to WC then just 101. hee hee.

Hi Deb, giggles Eore??? that is cute, hopefully I can change him to my tigger with more shading. btw he is in my avator with me.

Hey Michelle thats a great idea I forgot all about the window.

mothsailor
01-19-2005, 02:12 PM
I had an extended tour as well, there are some very different things in Wearable Art.

LOL - I went to wearable art first too! I'd never heard of a bead pen before! :confused:

Deb - those are beautiful...or should I say bella, bella!

cleo99
01-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Deb - they are fabulous! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Congratulations

JayD
01-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Vasil--being from Turkey makes you somewhat of a coffee expert so we wont argue with your point of view regarding the leaning coffee pot. :D

cmwynn
01-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Deb - Thanks for the link to your gorgeous paintings. I see why they were accepted.
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to have leaning pots. I have been using a grid for the Weekly Thread drawings, but not for the ones for this class and it makes all the difference. But I do want to learn how to work with as little grid as possible, even if some things do lean.
The fruit bowl is small, roughly 3" x 5". I planned that I would use watercolor pencils and have not had too much success with them, so small was good. I had a pottery bowl this color for a wedding present, just saw it last week when I went to visit my daughter in Atlanta. That was the visit when I got to the museum to see the Van Gogh exhibit. I'm still high from that. The 3rd exercise I will do "from life", rather than a photo, and that is scary. I can see most of the shadows in a photo but will have to really look hard at real objects. I have that planned, if I can get the pieces together. These images are the bowl just in watercolor pencil then after I added water, sort of like the paint-with-water books I had a child.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/29839-Fruit_bowl_1xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/29839-Fruit_bowl2xm.jpg

Judi1957
01-19-2005, 06:07 PM
DEB!!!! That is so-o-o GORGEOUS-BEAUTIFUL-STUNNING!!! They would have been crazy not to have selected you! I love both of them! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Connie :wave: What great colors you have used. I think you have done a wonderful job! :clap: :clap: I am guessing your light source is from above and to the rear a bit?
Looking forward to your 'real life still life' :D .
Oh yeh, you still talking about the Van Gogh exhibit? :envy: :envy: :D That is so great you went!

JayD
01-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Hi-Connie--great job!!!!!

Sults--bad sultry......Baaaaaaaad Sultry! Just kidding! :D

sultry
01-19-2005, 08:27 PM
wow I finally got online ... Hiyas everyone :wave: ,
Hi Jay lol at least you did not take the long way to the A/W like some of the classmates did. lol
Connie that is beautiful very beautiful :clap:
Ok, here is my 2nd stage with one layer of shading..going to next little project is turning out to be kind a fun. Never in my life thought I would enjoy sketching an excavator. lol I have wanted to try and sketch locomotives, but I never tried.
Anyways, I am back and will go check all prior classes now.

bjcpaints
01-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Hi everyone and thanks for visiting me in the Animal Forum. I did post a few rock animals there for you (since you twisted my arm- LOL).
Deb, Your paintings are gorgeous.
Everyone is doing so well here getting going with this lesson, I figured I had better get started. Here is my rough start. I am going to darken the lines and try to transfer to better paper. I never have much luck with transferring and all this talk about light boxes has me wanting to check my parent's basement this weekend. I know we used to have one.
Barbara

Oh I don't like the looks of my saucer at all.

sultry
01-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey Barbara :wave:
I am on my way to go look at the pet rocks lol. Your pot has followed a straight center line !!! Good Job !!! I see a great start in the line drawing here.

Judi1957
01-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Hey Sults :wave: You lead us all on a wild goose chase
OK, field trip time.....2 of them
I just wanted to inform you all that our Barbara has a thread "ever faithful" on going in W/A. It is a tribute to a dog (Daisy) who past on. Also she is donating to the Tsunami project. So, do go and take a peek at what a wonderful artist she is. Also, bug her to show her dog rock paintings on that thread. Maybe she will just post them for us to see. :)

Instead of A/W :D :D :D

Judi1957
01-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Sorry Barbara...Didn't mean to skip you, just wanted to rib Sults a bit...wait till she gets back..ha-ha

Barbara, I agree w/ Sults, this is looking fab!!!! Just like your adorable pup! :clap: :clap:

sultry
01-19-2005, 08:55 PM
sighsssssss... If I told you what my family called me when I was younger (even my younger sisters) you would all laff so I am not telling (inserts saying no smiley here). lol Ok, Ok Judi am I ever gonna live this one down???

Judi1957
01-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Can't be any worst than they called me :D

Judi1957
01-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey Sults :D :D :D

Your progress is looking great! :clap: :clap:
Eeore is gone and your tiger is looking like...well...like tiger!

sultry
01-19-2005, 09:10 PM
lol I swear Judi we are alike alot even have the same name and same year born so were you called "Chrissy"? lol I know I am going regret asking that.
Wow I just saw Barbara's adorable rock pets. I wanttttttttttttt ONE. !!!!
Judi ty for thinking he looks like tiger...BF was teasing me and said I was drawing a COW. :( but he was kidding around. lol

Judi1957
01-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Hey Guys and Girls, We don't have 5 stars up there yet for JayD's thread!

Cathie Jones
01-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Okay, I voted. Better late than never??

Just dropping in for a minute to tell you tell you that I am having an absolute blast . . . I'm PAINTING!!! If there's time I'll try another medium, but I've been starving for watercolor. Hope everyone is having this much fun!!

That's all. Still a couple of days away from posting the final, but maybe a peek at the WIP tomorrow. And, depending on how much work I can get done, maybe a second still life before Monday.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/23460-smiley_artist.gif

JayD
01-19-2005, 11:07 PM
Barb go back and look again at your sketch. the center line is right there--good job. Another rule of thumb when deal with elipses and geometric shapes is that the top elipse on the coffee cup HAS to be parallel with the bottom bottom ellipse. This is something else to be on the look out for. Check your ellipses and see if there are corrections there to be made. Good job!

vasilkadifeli
01-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Vasil, another thing I noticed is that you need to do your drawing very lightly so the shading is what we see and not a line edge. You do wonderful shading by the way. Your pot is leaning because you need a straighter center line skeleton to start from. Your lid is an elispe that is almost a circle so you need to flatten it more to make it look like viewer is looking at from front not above front. All you need to do is fix them on this paper & copy them to tracing paper and re apply them to a fresh piece paper in a straight view. If you do your elispes for the lid in correct porportion it will come out ok. Just take that pot down in all the geo shapes it has on it. Also remember to add perspective to the shapes as well.

Sultry thanks a lot for your suggestions I am about to finish a watercolor and then will see what I can do... I will probably draw it once again... and may be then I will go on with the second exercise...

Vasil--being from Turkey makes you somewhat of a coffee expert so we wont argue with your point of view regarding the leaning coffee pot. :D

lol JayD... I don't like turkish cofee (or greek cofee as some may name it) at all... actually it's the cofee grounds in it that I don't like... I consume the so called soluble cofee (especially Jacobs) and some filter cofee... but I like also drinking normal tea, green tea, sage, linden etc...

Blah
01-20-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm doing the happy dance today, just found out that two of my w/c paintings were accepted into the annual juried art exhibition here in town! :D :D

Deb...congratulations. I saw the two paintings and they are both wonderful :clap: :clap: :clap:

Blah

Cathie Jones
01-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Deb...congratulations. I saw the two paintings and they are both wonderful :clap: :clap: :clap:

Blah

Deb, I agree with everyone . . . both are beautiful, but you did such a wonderful job on that Venice scene - several in the watercolor forum have done it too, but on one can top yours!!! Congratulations! :clap:

Blah
01-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Hi Jay, Super-sub Sultry, and class :wave:

I have skimmed through the thread, looked at all the drawings, enjoyed the wonderful exchanges :D and decided that I should get some work done first before posting comments .

I am posting the first two stages (as suggested by Jay) of my work and will move directly to the 3rd stage.

Blah

sultry
01-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Hi Blah :wave: So glad to see you back in class and working on projects again :)
I just want to say wow very good !!! Is the table or shelf that all this sits on, supposed to go away from us? If I am wrong disregard this suggestion. If it is, should your table be narrowing on the right (tables left)? Otherwise, the elipses and cones all make a perfect piece here.

mothsailor
01-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I think this is the finished version of the first project, if only because I want to move on to the one with colour!

bjcpaints
01-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Hello everyone! I tried transferring my drawing today - noticed my table line was not where I wanted it. Changed that and now I am not so happy with my start but will press on.
Blah, Your stage 1 & 2 look great!
Dave - Your final drawing is absolutely stunning. Nice work!
Cathie - I am starving for color too. Even the dog I am painting currently is black with a touch of grey.
Sultry- I posted a few more animals - you should give it a try - If I can do it anyone can. I posted a cat, a corgy mix and a horse. Got my Sam Savitts book and I am going to the couch.
Oh Gotta vote the thread - thanks for the reminder.
Barbara

Mary Woodul
01-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Good afternoon! everyone :wave:. How nice to see so many classmates.

Sultry, I love the symbolism in your drawing; a lot of strong emotions there and the update is looking good.

Connie, I think I have told you before that I love your drawing because I see true authentic style in them. The shine you achieve is awesome also.

Nancy, welcome!. I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

Dave I put that site on my favorites. Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to have mine.

Hi! Vasil, welcome. Well your drawing has personality, I'll tell you that. I've got to go over to W/C and see your paintings.

Cleo, nice to see you here and your drawing looks good.

Baraba, that is a beautiful and heartfelt painting of Daisy. I have to go see your pet rocks. Your drawing is looking very good.

Judi, I love your Sassy girls drawing and your daughter is very pretty. That is going to be a great piece.

Deb, what beautiful paintings. I don't know which I like best, but the style of your flowers is awesome. I can see why they were selected and I wouldn't be surprised to see you dance the happy dance with a prize.

Wow! Blah, I love those slinkies in your stage 2. Your drawings are always so neat.

Dave, your drawing is great, you even got the transparency in the lid gadget (forgot the name of it), sorry.

Hi! JayD, Michelle, Stacy :wave:

Well I'm going to do the happy dance with Deb, my Tsunami project painting sold yesterday.

Here is step 3 of my drawing and I think I will leave it there because I'm dying to start with the other still life in a different medium.

sultry
01-20-2005, 02:25 PM
I will go look Barbara ty for telling me :)
Hi Dave this looks great porportion and shading following the geo shapes, I do see an area that you could bring out though, your pot and saucer seem to blend into each other and so does the cup and saucer. See if you can separate them. :)

Hiyas Mary and ty, I think you did a wonderful job on yours also but I do see a need for more darker values. Try the little circle techniques on the core shadows of the objects to make them pop out. & Congrats on selling your painting I will go look right now :clap: :clap: :clap:

vasilkadifeli
01-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Hi all... today I made a pastel drawing for the first time in my life as the second exercise for lesson 10... I followed an art book's instructions... here is my practice drawing... size 9.5"x8.5" on white pastel paper that came with the book and used probably some student's quality pastels that came with the book also... I hope it counts as an exercise for this lesson but I remember JayD said for exercise 3 "use your own medium" :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/32140-stil_life_pastel.jpg

vasilkadifeli
01-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi! Vasil, welcome. Well your drawing has personality, I'll tell you that. I've got to go over to W/C and see your paintings.

thanks a lot but believe me you will be dissapointed :(...

vasilkadifeli
01-20-2005, 03:00 PM
and HEEYYY I just woke up... this is a still life lesson isn't it ? today I finished a still life watercolor painting and posted it in the wc gallery a few hours ago... that one may count pretty well as an exercise here ;) this is the link if you are interested :
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3118911#post3118911
if not, here is the painting itself (I guess I am thru with this lesson :D)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/32140-stil_life.jpg

cmwynn
01-20-2005, 03:00 PM
This comes with a load of excuses. The process evolved as I went along, rather than being planned ahead. I drew the scene with pencil, will show the picture, very light so scan is poor and is larger than my scanner, so is patched. Then I went over it in pen and ink, thinking to use watercolor, but at the last moment decided to use colored pencils. I think in the future, I will stick to using them only for accents. I don't have the patience or knowledge to shade or to put in hightlights (the plastic train.) Graphite gives so much more detail and shading, paint is just fun and soo much faster. And I was having trouble with the light for my camera, almost true color but not quite.
And the teddy bear is strange looking IRL, but not as grim as this photo shows. The inspiration is my grandson, just across the field, now 5 months old. He has enough toys for me to borrow lots. I wanted a mix of hard and soft objects. This is done on Strathmore drawing paper, all-purpose Crayola colored pencils. I sketched it in charcoal with things in different positions before I settled on this arrangement.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/29839-Nursery_sketchxm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/29839-Nurseryxm.jpg

mothsailor
01-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the C&C folks. Sults, I quite like the occassional "lost line" in a drawing...I think it adds something to it.

Blah, your first stages are as neet as ever!

Mary, good job!

Vasil, I'm going to have a go with pastels too. Hope mine works out as well as yours!

sultry
01-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Aye Aye Dave I can appreciate an artist's style. So I stand corrected, lol, again. One thing, I want all of you to know, is that I only state my opinions and do not hold them to you as rule. :)

mothsailor
01-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Here's a colour still life. Those pastels are tricky things to use!

Cathie Jones
01-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Dave, that looks like fun! Do you have the pastel dust off everything yet?? :D

I sure do like seeing all this color! So . . . here's my WIP . . . not ready for final C&C yet (just a little adoration :evil: :eek: ) . . . it's barely past the 'ugly stage' . . . but suggestions will be considered!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/23460-smiley_painter_palette.gif

Mary Woodul
01-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Wow, CJ, Vasil and Dave, you guys are fast.

Sultry, I'll work on more values and post on Sunday with the three exercises. Right now I think I'll try pastel pencils but I really don't know anything about color in pencils.

CJ, I Love the smiley. :D

Mary Woodul
01-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Wow, CJ, Vasil and Dave, you guys are fast.

Sultry, I'll work on more values and post on Sunday with the three exercises. Right now I think I'll try pastel pencils but I really don't know anything about color in pencils.

CJ, I Love the smiley. :D

Vasil, that glass goblet in your painting is fantastic.

sultry
01-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Wow Vasil, Connie, Dave & CJ you guys sure know how to apply color. It looks good so far to me. I have not used any of the mediums you all are using, so I will let Jay C&C on your beautiful pieces.

Great Mary, I am sure you will do a fantastic job in color.

mothsailor
01-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Dave, that looks like fun! Do you have the pastel dust off everything yet?? :D

Cough, cough! Just about!

That's looking great, certainly not ugly!

Cathie Jones
01-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks, Mary, but I'm not that fast! I was so excited about color, I jumped right on this one without doing the first exercise, so I'm actually behind a bit.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/23460-smiley_blushy.gif

Naturally, Dave (being teacher's pet and all) is way ahead of everyone! ;)

Edit: Thank you, Dave. There's a definite stage in watercolor painting that's called the 'ugly stage,' and that's where you're always tempted to toss it in the bin because it looks so bad . . . but if you persevere and get past that stage, it starts looking better. It's probably the same with the other color mediums, but I haven't tried them yet.

JayD
01-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Goood Dave.....(pat...pat...pat...)....very goooooooood Dave.....thanks for the Apple and the Porche! :D

You guys enjoy your color this week because next week we are going to dive into the dark, dirty and dusty (cough...cough...cough...) world of charcoal--now being to CHEAP to buy charcoal, I have to go outside and grill a steak!

JayD
01-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Vasil--where's my coffee! :D EVERYBODY take a hard look at Vasils piece. One of the neat things about his piece that that everything has a fluid wavy motion--he has not gone for realism in the strictest sense and this gives him the freedom to experiment with the the still life. I especially like the background--it blends in with the pieces but stand stand out. notice that the movement of the background leads you to the still life pieces. Remember that it is your job, as an artist, to guide the viewer through the picture--you're a tour guide through a park that you created just for the view. What do you want to convey to the view visually. Vasil, it is wonderful :clap: :clap: :clap:

Connie, there is a series by Stephen King called "The Dark Tower" and in this series there is a train named Blaine (that is also my middle name--sheesh). Anyway, Blaine the Train is a homicidal maniac and I am CONVINCED that he was based on Thomas the Tank Train. I like the thought that you put into assembling the pieces--contrasting pieces of hard and soft--I like that very muich--I also like the idea that this is an inspired piece. I am not bothered by the grimness of the bear--I rather like it--scared of the train but I like the bear. I do want you to do me a favor, after reading your post--I want you to take the charcoal class next week and let's get you better ingrained into the wild and whacky world of shading. It's time to go against your grain! :)

Dave, have you ever used pastels before--my daughter is pushing me to try them but I have this thing about getting stuff on my hands (I will be a WRECk by the time we leave charcoal :D ). What kind of paper did you use? I like the texture of the paper and I really like the intermixing of color and light in the background. The fruit is very nice as well. Great job!!!

Cathie, I will hold back my comments for now except to say that I really like where you are going--and you are definitely past the ugly stage. I like the work you have done on the reflection as well.

Judi1957
01-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Wow, Everyone is just flying here , 'sept me. :(
Everyones work is looking fantastic! :clap: :clap:
Posting stage one of still life-basic geo shapes.
C & C please. :)

sultry
01-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Hi Jay :wave: Hi Judi, I see your geo shapes and your center line good job. :clap:
Was not sure if I was going to get back on tonite BF accidently spilled water all over his keyboard had to loan him mine. I found an old one in the basement to use and it looks like it is working ok.
Well I am not sure about a color project yet, I have added a few layers to this and it could use alot more. I am going to put it aside and look for a medium to use on project 3.

Judi1957
01-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Wow Sults, You really have made this take shape! I think it's really looking great! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fireman's kid
01-20-2005, 09:07 PM
Wow, Everyone is just flying here , 'sept me.
Hey Judi, not everyone...I'm just posting my stage 1 too. Glad I'm not the only one. :D

For some reason I can never remember to check my drawing in the mirror before scanning it. So I never find the problem areas until it's on the computer screen. :o I noticed that the right side of my coffee pot lid is off and that the spout needs to be bigger. I'll fix that before going onto stage 2. Any other fixes you see, let me know because I probably won't get back to this until tomorrow. (I'm going to try to draw while my 5 year old daughters have another 5 y.o. and a 6 y.o. over for a play date. I must be crazy!! We'll see how it goes. :rolleyes: )

Sults, your drawing is coming along well. That excavator is really somethin' and I agree Tigger is looking much more Tiggerish. My only comment is I think it would be easier to see on a lighter background. Right now you have a lot of mid-tones and it reminds me a bit of the rough spot you hit with your horse drawing. Now if you are planning to add a lot more darks to either the background or the excavator and Tigger, then feel free to ignore me. Like you said above, my comments are but opinions and can be ignored at will. :D

Have a great night everyone! :wave: (Just realized that it is not night time for everyone now, but "have a great whatever" doesn't sound very sincere! :) )

Edited to add...I haven't erased all of my construction lines yet. That's the rest of the sphere you can see above the coffee cup. It will be gone before I post stage 2.

JayD
01-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Sults, Stacy made some very astute comments worth considering. I think, of everything that I have seen you do, that this is your most powerful piece. Continuing to model this until you hit a comfort zone is the ticket--avoid the lights and darks until you are absolutely sure you want to move forward. Also when working with a piece as intense as this one is--it is better to work slowly in gentle layers and build up your darks gradually--try to avoid heavy layers--you do not want to overload your paper too quickly.

Stacy--I think you are off to a great start. I have check out some of your work before and you are very much into preciseness and clarity of form (it seems to me). I have said this to Blah before and sometimes it is wonderful just to head in the opposite direction of who you are artistically--JUST to see how far you can push yourself--you would be VERY surprised. So here is my point--centrlines, contruction lines etc.. are all fine but if you are off a tiny bit consider that the "off" quality may add to the character of your piece. You be the judge of course. You're sketch is kickin and I can't wait to see how you progress. :)

Judi1957
01-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Hey All :wave:
Sorry Stacy to have missed your post. :(
Had to leave for a bit to take care of a family issue. I am not feeling 100% tonight on top of that. Pat just came home with the flu on top-top of that! I will look back thru the thread tomorrow and review it better. I did see a lot of wonderful color. :D
I see JayD :wave: has covered the bases. :)

JayD
01-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi, Judi :wave: Yep, I am here tonight--sometimes it might be nice for the teacher to actually come in and TEACH the class! :D I had a couple of college professors who were scarce in the class.

Hey Sults--I was thinking about your piece and taking it a step further-you might want to consider carrying this project over to the charcoal class for next week.. I would suggest that you make photocopies on your favorite paper so that you have the freedom to experiment without ruining the original.
Something to consider. :)

sultry
01-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Hi everyone,
Sorry was bidding in ebay and won the DE Reyna book. :) so finally I will see what you all already see.
Hi Judi :) :wave:
Hi Stacy & ty for the compliment on my tree. Sent to sister & she loves it by the way :)I agree with you, the problem is I am at a block and cannot figure it out. I am trying to.
Hi Teach :wave:
Jay I thought I was supposed to work darks first. I read your suggestion but I am sorry I do not understand what you mean. Do you want me to just sketch in midtone? Then when done, add lights & darks?
I am so confused about how to keep my values from not blending. See, this is one problem I always have done. If you look at my pre class drawing it is so mid tone.
Awe Jay, I wanted to do a figure drawing for charcoal. I have the idea already planned out. Did you mean mix my graphite drawing with charcoal or start a new one?
I can keep working on ViO5 this week (but will not be turning in a color picture). Let me know if that is ok.
Other wise, I will start on color pic now and set aside ViO5 for another day.

Judi1957
01-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Thanks for coming tonite. I appreciate it! :)

Stage 2-local color
See I have my handle too far from the pot-how'd ya like that Dave :D
I'll fix that and go onto stage three. C & C please.

Judi1957
01-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Sorry Sult, hi :wave:
We cross posted.
Edited to erase...I had it all wrong! JayD is telling you to do only midtones first. Oops should have read the Boss's post.

sultry
01-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Judi :wave:
I am sorry but I have a big mental block I am not getting it. I have been keeping the pencil sharp and I have been sketching my geo shapes in values by dark first (coreshadow) so tell me is that where I am going wrong? Do I need to just sketch the geo shape in one mid tone? I need to see what you mean by geo shapes, because I break up my subjects that way.
edited to add... I also won 2- draw cats books yippeee :)

Judi1957
01-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Still erasing.......

Judi1957
01-20-2005, 11:21 PM
HEY CJ!!!!! I see you out there! :wave: :wave:

JayD
01-20-2005, 11:34 PM
Sults--I am telling you that you have a GREAT piece there but to slow down--highlight, midtone, dark--remember that there are multiple degrees of light between each--work slow and carefully at this point--build your layers and you decide when you feel comfortable to move to the next tone--not telling to work ONLY in midtones--just to slow down and really savor the process--it is going to be something wonderful.

Regarding the charcoal--you can do a figure drawing if you want--it is up to you, Sults! :)

You don't have to do color if you do not want or have the time to. You have a lot of freedom here, Sults! :)

Judi1957
01-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Sorry Boss,
I thought when you said to 'avoid the lights and darks until you are absolutely sure you want to move forward', you were saying to work the midtones first. I must have misunderstood your meaning. :(
Do you mean to work the entire drawing in the midtones, then add on top of that the darks, and knead out the lights?

sultry
01-21-2005, 12:07 AM
slow down--highlight, midtone, dark
I think I am understanding now...I will take one of the bars on the ViO5 and just slowly sketch in the coreshadow value but to make sure it is all complete on the bar and in so many layers it would take for that coreshadow to look realistic. Then to go to next value which could be the dark side or light side but make sure to do all the value carefully. I need to stop doing all at once and only concentrate on one spot so I can give it the appropriate layers it should have so the viewer would not see midtone but balance of all dark, light & mid tone.
I have decided to take this further and I will add darker pencils if needed I have so far used 4H, 2H, F & HB for the darkest areas. I have not used and subtraction of value (eraser)yet.
I do not know why it is easier to see what is needed on others work and not as easy on our own. I need the C&C because when it is as the tip of my nose, I do not see it. when it is in the next door neighbors yard, I can see it clearly. lol

Thanks Jay

Judi1957
01-21-2005, 12:30 AM

rjKing
01-21-2005, 01:31 AM
Sultry,

Good job so far.. agree w/ jayD on this.. work into the darks slowly and only when you are sure you want to get them dark.. and work it all in slowly.. its so easy for the paper to become overfilled..

My comment on this one is more about composition..

Right now you are working the paper very well and lots of interesting shapes/etc. except for the upper right corner.. it looks kinda blankish.. I know that in your ref photo its probably just sky, so from a reference point of view you are probably spot on.... but my question to you is, do you think it works in your drawing (and the answer for you might be yes!)?

sultry
01-21-2005, 01:52 AM
Richard I am honored you stopped by :wave: Hey everyone this is Richard a very skilled artist who has very appropriate constructive critiques. If he ever C&C's your work, it is an absolute honor.
Yes Richard I am realizing what Stacy, & especially my teach Jay is saying. I will go slow and careful. :)
Oh Richard this is from a brochure. So the background was white. I am making it up from my mind. I have a bad habit of not using a ref photo....that may be my problem I think.

vasilkadifeli
01-21-2005, 02:18 AM
Vasil, that glass goblet in your painting is fantastic...

Thanks a lot Mary...

Wow Vasil, Connie, Dave & CJ you guys sure know how to apply color. It looks good so far to me. I have not used any of the mediums you all are using, so I will let Jay C&C on your beautiful pieces...

Sultry thank you very much for your comments, but currently I am really struggling to paint in watercolors... I know I am not bad but I wonder if I ever I will produce a very good painting... BTW I did a pastel for the first time and I liked them... it's their dust that give me trouble... I will go and buy some more pastel paper and may be some fixative...

Vasil--where's my coffee! :D EVERYBODY take a hard look at Vasils piece. One of the neat things about his piece that that everything has a fluid wavy motion--he has not gone for realism in the strictest sense and this gives him the freedom to experiment with the the still life. I especially like the background--it blends in with the pieces but stand stand out. notice that the movement of the background leads you to the still life pieces. Remember that it is your job, as an artist, to guide the viewer through the picture--you're a tour guide through a park that you created just for the view. What do you want to convey to the view visually. Vasil, it is wonderful :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you very much JayD... I guess your comments are for my pastel work, aren't they ? or they are about my watercolor painting ?... I had two extra days free (Thu and Fri) so I started and finished a watercolor and a pastel... I guess I will do another watercolor and may be a pencil drawing too... I now have a B2 and a B4 pencils ;)...

rjKing
01-21-2005, 02:58 AM
Richard I am honored you stopped by :wave: Hey everyone this is Richard a very skilled artist who has very appropriate constructive critiques. If he ever C&C's your work, it is an absolute honor.
Yes Richard I am realizing what Stacy, & especially my teach Jay is saying. I will go slow and careful. :)
Oh Richard this is from a brochure. So the background was white. I am making it up from my mind. I have a bad habit of not using a ref photo....that may be my problem I think.

blush.... wow.. thanks.

On the subject of using/not using a photo.. I don't think there is a 'right way'. Some folks use imagination, some photos, some life. I personally prefer photos and life.. but thats just me.

mothsailor
01-21-2005, 03:41 AM
I see everyone's been busy while I've been asleep!

Jay, in answer to your question, this is the first time I've used pastel, and they sure do make a lot of dust! On the other hand, the colour is really clean and bright and goes on fast. Hard to do detail...at least, it was for me. The paper is Strathmore charcoal. I like the texture too, though I'm not sure it was a good idea to use a tinted paper...something else I've not tried before, so thought I would give it a shot!

Sults, your work just gets better and better, and it's also so personal and imaginative!

Judi, your stage 2 looks good to me. I expect the pot is for someone with unusually large hands...

Stacy, apart from the points you mentioned (and they are only very minor), I can't see anything else that would need changing in your stage 1. Good luck with the play date! Since they are all girls, you've got a chance. Now, if they were boys... :)

vasilkadifeli
01-21-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi again... this is gonna be my next exercise piece... I will follow directions from my artbook... following is the ref image from the book, and the prelminary drawing I did on plain A4 (~letter) paper... OK, I know, I forgot the handle of the pot but I added it after I scanned my drawing... now I will transfer it on drawing paper over my lightbox and start the pencil work...

sultry
01-21-2005, 07:44 AM
Morning All :wave: ,
Judi I am sorry for not C&Cing on your stage 2. You know even a sup sub has trouble at times C&Cg. Thanks Dave for C&Cg Judi & Stacy's work.

Dave ty for the C&C also, I do think you handled the pastel medium pretty well. Do you have colored pastel pencils? Sometimes they can be used with the pastel for detail. If you wanted to go that route.

Vasil, wow!!! I like that new pic and the colors are so vibrant. Sorry but is that your drawing and pre drawing posted? I see in the pre drawing the pot is drawn right on with center line and geo shapes but the bottle needs an elispe also drawn on top to match the bottom elispe of it. If that is your drawing above it, you have fixed the porportion well and just disregard my above comment. If it is not your drawing, then if you fix the bottle, I think you will have a wonderful porportioned stage 1 drawing. Your wc is very good do not be so unsure about it.
edited to add... Ahh Vasil I just read a comment Jay said about sometimes you may want to stay away from a perfectly planned pic. So if that is your goal, do disregard my above comments. If you are striving for balance in making all geo shapes look realistic then above comment still stands.

vasilkadifeli
01-21-2005, 08:24 AM
...Vasil, wow!!! I like that new pic and the colors are so vibrant. Sorry but is that your drawing and pre drawing posted? I see in the pre drawing the pot is drawn right on with center line and geo shapes but the bottle needs an elispe also drawn on top to match the bottom elispe of it. If that is your drawing above it, you have fixed the porportion well and just disregard my above comment. If it is not your drawing, then if you fix the bottle, I think you will have a wonderful porportioned stage 1 drawing. Your wc is very good do not be so unsure about it.

edited to add... Ahh Vasil I just read a comment Jay said about sometimes you may want to stay away from a perfectly planned pic. So if that is your goal, do disregard my above comments. If you are striving for balance in making all geo shapes look realistic then above comment still stands...

Hi Sultry, no it isn't my drawing it's from the book the ref picture and the end result after it is drawn... there are instructions in the book on how to draw it... actually that is a charcoal drawing but I will be doing it with pencil... the next picture you see is my intial drawing on plain office paper which I have already traced it on drawing paper and I am now doing the pencil work... well I will fix it during my pencil work...

sultry
01-21-2005, 08:35 AM
oh ok Vasil, I do see your elipse just below the neck of the bottle but I would like you to go back and look at Blah's stage one drawing and see how he was able to make his bottle all porportioned because he used the slinky method all the way to the top of the bottle (see if that will help you). You are able to measure each side of the center line with the slinky elipses all the way to the top. :)

cleo99
01-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Happy Friday All!

Here is the 1st project. The scanner has added some streaks of it own to the darks.

Thanks, Teach for letting us try color :clap: (Maybe I should not say that till I try it :wink2: )

Will post something in color and that pesky book report on Monday.

sultry
01-21-2005, 09:03 AM
My comment on this one is more about composition..

Right now you are working the paper very well and lots of interesting shapes/etc. except for the upper right corner.. it looks kinda blankish.. I know that in your ref photo its probably just sky, so from a reference point of view you are probably spot on.... but my question to you is, do you think it works in your drawing (and the answer for you might be yes!)?
Richard, I am not sure if you saw the first posting of why I am doing this piece but it has to do with my father and my BF and how they compare in my life. I have a very nice little idea (If I can draw it realistically that small) to add to the upper right-side of the drawing that will represent more of a feel for them in the picture. This is on 9" x 12" plain ole acid free drawing paper. I did get my magnify light set up and it is a big help for the small detail work.

I would like to thank you again, for the detailed and helpful C & C you gave my portrait of Natalie ( I already see more likeness in the changes you suggested).

sultry
01-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Cleo lovely reflections off the pieces :clap:

mothsailor
01-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Hi Cleo, I like your drawing very much. :clap: I agree with Sultry about the reflections...very well done. Did you think about doing anything with the background? I don't know what others think about this, but I find backgrounds hard to know what to do with! Plus, having finally got the main subject to look reasonable, I'm scared to mess it up with a rubbish background. And yet, when I look at other people's work it often seems that the background can add a lot of interest.

cleo99
01-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Dave - I agree with you wholeheartedly! Get out whole the getting is good! It also does not help that it's usuallly 11 PM when I get close to done! (This working for a living cerainly cuts into your drawing time. :crying: )

I have no idea what to do for a background on this, or on the color still lifes I am contemplating for the weekend, The other questions is should you do the background first? to avoid smearing the rest?

sultry
01-21-2005, 09:43 AM
GRRRRRRRRRRRrr backgrounds Dave that is my sore spot lol I have a tendacy to make it all blend together. :(

vasilkadifeli
01-21-2005, 10:46 AM
This is what I have done so far... I am now on drawing paper... I traced my still life from the initial drawing on plain paper onto drawing paper over my lightbox... this is around 10" x 13" in size and 56 lb in weight drawing paper... I see some bad spots myself in the drawing you probably see many more...

- there is a problem with the right bottom part of the pot, I have to widen that part, it is so narrow now...
- I don't like the shading on the glass neither its shade on the bottle...
- Sultry I guess I am ok with the upper part of the bottle... I did some corrections there...
- I have used only a 2B pencil so far... what do I do with my 4B pencil now ? :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2005/32140-artacademi-drawing_step1.jpg

mothsailor
01-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Vasil, Looking good! Although these aren't major points, if you were after total perfection I think the shoulders of the bottle are not quite symmetrical. and the ridge thingy on the pot seems to be lower on the right than the left.

JayD
01-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Judi, I think I have missed you a couple of times--you follks are moving so fast that I am having trouble keeping up. I have some comments for you. First, the still life is very well drawn. Before you go any further step back for a minute and decide on your light sources. Where is the strongest point coming from and where and how does it strike the objects. This will be your hot point from there the light will recede and gently disappear into the dark where the light is least able to strike. Dark side and light side of the moon so to speak. Again, like sults--work slowly, there is no need for rapidity. Once you have decided conciously where the llights will strike then work slow and gently and BUILD the values layer by layer. By the way, I really like the way you handled the folds. :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
01-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Vasil, try breaking a way from conventional shading and try puting in some shapes as reflections--there is nothing wrong with your shading as is but I think you might be bored with it--maybe it might be uninteresting or unchallenging to your artists eye. Try adding some reflective shapes--hey! How about lets see that smiling face distorted in the bottle.

JayD
01-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Cleo, try this--spray a couple of layers of fixative over your graphite piece. NOW add the color with COLORED PENCIL and watch what happens! :)

JayD
01-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Vasil--was referring to that magnificent watercolor! :)

sultry
01-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Just wanted to show you progress of ViO5 after figuring out your C&C Jay, Stacy and Richard. :)
I have worked on the gas tank, and blade only by the way. I still need to pick out more light with eraser but I feel I am breaking away from mid tone.

Oh Richard that is a rough sketch of hat and kerchief on the tree branch on the upper corner. It means that He (BF) is (Father) was there. :) My father past on in Oct 2002.
edited to add..now I see it on screen I need to make hat smaller as I see where in chair if they sat their head is the size hat is now..since hat is farther back, I need to shrink it. :)

cleo99
01-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Thanks Sultry, & Dave. Vasil - Looking good :clap:

Jay D - I will try the Fixative/colored pencil thing over the weekend and post the results if it turn out well.

mothsailor
01-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Sults, those darks are getting nice and rich! :clap:

sultry
01-21-2005, 01:25 PM
TY Dave I really need C&C it helps me. :)

Mary Woodul
01-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Hi! everyone. Sultry your drawing is really looking good. That lion face is looking so real and the hat and the kirchief gives it so much meaning. Cleo and Vasil, your drawings are also looking good.

JayD, since we are doing still lifes and you have metioned composition, one of my weak spots is exactly that, I am going to try your tip with another painting. I am really looking forward to charcoal and I am also one of those that doesn't like to get things on my hands. I am learning to not let it bother me being a mixed media artist.

This is my step 1 of exercise 2. So far, just the outline, and background with acrylic, metallic paint over tissue paper on canvas panel.

mothsailor
01-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Mary, I forgot to say earlier that I think your painting for the Tsunami project is really beautiful. No wonder it sold! Congratulations! :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
01-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Oh, thank you Dave, I think we corssposted. :wave:

sultry
01-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Mary I 2nd what Dave says about your painting & this one looks like it is going to be just as beautiful. Wow acrylic and tissue paper :clap:
When doing composition Mary, Just take the viewer on the tour as Jay says to. It is fun to play follow the leader with your art. It gives you the ability to open the viewers eyes and to show them what is felt by you.
When I do a piece from my heart and soul, it is what touches me emotionally to put it on paper. lol I get a kick out of drawing my feelings, I used to write in my diary, now I draw it. lol

Ty for understanding my message in my drawing Mary it does pull the emotional strings, to do a piece that means so much to me.

edited to add... Mary would you mind explaining the tissue process to do this. This looks very interesting to me.

Judi1957
01-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Afternoon everyone! :wave:

Redid the handle and now I notice it is (actually always was :( ) a tad lower than the ref, but I think I can raise it without too much erasing. So I am posting local color stage 2 again. C & C please.

Going back to read and view all the great posts I skimmed over yesterday.

Cathie Jones
01-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Sults - I think you've got it! The tank is looking great!!! :clap:

Judi - does it matter if the handle isn't exactly as it is in the photo?? :D

Lunch time!!! BBL
:wave:

Mary Woodul
01-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Thank you Sultry. Yes, your right about painting what you feel. With me sometimes it only comes out in my abstracts and the contrast in colors but when it comes to thinking of leading the eye I get confused when I think of balance.

With the tissue paper I just brush crafts glue over my support and then tear the tissue paper with my hands, anyway it tears, (I like uneven edges) and put it carefylly over the glue. I like for it to crease and sometimes I crease it with my hands purposly, other's I wet the tissue paper before applying it and the creases are finer if you don't crease it purposely. You can do this with other papers also like wrapping paper or bag paper and then do almost anything you want over them after they dry.

Judi, I just love your drawing, it looks so different, it has a velvety feel to it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
01-21-2005, 04:24 PM
That was a fab trip back these few pages!
Blah! So happy you are back in the swing of things with us! Your posts look grand!
Dave, Love your finale on the pot/cup 'n saucer/creamer. I see you faded out your shadow of the creamer! The reflectances are wonderful!
Barb, Loved your painted rock with the wolf!
Mary! Thank-you for the comp on Sassy Girls. Still not done, hopefully by Sunday I can post for final C & C in main D & S forum. It was so nice all my classmates dropped in to see! TY again. But OHHHHH, that texture you created is marvy! (trying out new adjectives. LOL) Backgrounds are so tough. If you get the 'Artists Magazine' there is an article in there on BG's this month. Beautiful stuff in there!
Vasil, You do do beautiful work from what I have seem here, you are a multi-medium kinda guy! I want to do more mediums. Very excited about the Acrylic class we will be having!
Connie That is so nice, and with Crayolas, good thinking. See you got Thomas the Train in there! :D
CJ! Oh-la-la! Ugly stage, definatly past that! I love the green you achieved for the grapes and the plims look so realistic. I think you are doing wonderful!!!!
JayD, Thanks for the C & C, I will check out my light source before I go any further. I know you are so busy and you are still holding this class. HATS OFF TO YOU! :clap: :clap:
Stacy, Great geo's here! You are a great C & C'er BTW!
Sults, Your pic is emerging! Looks like all the C & C from JayD, Stacy and Dave has really helped much!
Cleo, You also have great reflectances! I think your cup looks a bit mis-shapen on the right side, but it may be the scan.

JayD
01-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Mary, if you get a chance, check out a book called Colored Pencil Explorations. It is a book that explores colored pencil and mixed media. Allan Servoss has an interesting piece using rice paper which you might find neat. :)

Mary Woodul
01-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Judi, thanks, I'll have to check the magazine, I can get it here.

JayD, thank you, I will look for that book, colored pencil is something I need to study because it seems so tricky for me, but mixed media and working with papers I love, so I will check that book. :D

Judi1957
01-21-2005, 06:00 PM
OOps,
I forgot to say thanks to Richard for stopping in last nite. TY! :D

sultry
01-21-2005, 06:13 PM
JayD, Thanks for the C & C, I will check out my light source before I go any further. I know you are so busy and you are still holding this class. HATS OFF TO YOU!
Stacy, Great geo's here! You are a great C & C'er BTW!

Yes I AGREE !!!! Jay Hats off to you & Yes Stacy you are. :) so are you Judi :) & & &
Dave, Blah, Deb, Mary, CJ, everyone's C&C is such a compliment to have I cherish them, especially when I can learn from them. lol
Sorry I am so cold, I just got back from the store to stock up (were expecting 14 or over inches of snow here in Naugatuck) brrrrrrr.

JayD
01-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Mary, it is a great book but also check out the work of the artist, Allen Servoss. He has an amazing style.

sultry
01-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Heyyyyyyyyyyyy Everyone I thought you would all like to know My Daughter just got home and she is going to sleep for 2 days, lol, she is so jet lagged they kept her in Ireland for 2 whole days and they did not get to leave the day she thought she was supposed to, so it was a little scarey not hearing word till now. She does not have to go to Vegas for a couple of mths and they debriefed them in Iraq already. :) I am so happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...my baby is home lol :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
01-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Sults! That is wonderful!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
01-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Wonderful news Sults!!!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
01-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Great news Sultry,....I'm so happy for you!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
01-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Clappin' and doin' the Happy Dance for Sults!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2005/23460-smiley_dance_line.gif

sultry
01-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Ty Jay, Judi, Mary & CJ I am so on cloud 9 lol

Mary Woodul
01-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Mary, it is a great book but also check out the work of the artist, Allen Servoss. He has an amazing style.

Where can I see his work? I tried googles and they have a lot of pages but not of his work.

Mary Woodul
01-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Where can I see his work? I tried googles and they have a lot of pages but not of his work.
Sorry JayD, I was looking for Allen........I found it, I'll get back with comments.

Judi1957
01-21-2005, 08:11 PM
It's a party here tonight! :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D :D

Mary, I realized I didn't mention your sale. Sorry, there was a lot to look at and my notes kind of got jumbled. But, congratulations on the sale! :clap: :clap:

CJ, You are right, the handle doesn't have to look exactly like the ref. I kept it right were it was. :D

sultry
01-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Mary I wanted to tell you I did not realize we could see what others have done in their profile and click on projects. Wow girl you have been busy. I do love the child's huge eyes ( they remind me of my grandson). lol he has the same look. :)

Judi1957
01-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info Sults :)

Mary!!! Your work is absolutley lovely! WoW!

I especially love the 'Hope after cataclysm'.
And all your cacti!.
Truly impressive :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
01-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Thank you! Sultry, I had to ask Kerri to remove that painting, because I hadn't seen in the instructions, the part about the copyright, if you were working from a news clipping. It didn't occur to me, since I was interpreting it. She did suggest that I send the image to the newspaper and ask for permission and if I got it, she would re-post it. It was my mistake for bieng distractfull. You know in a way, I also think I painted the little boy like my youngest grandson,lol.

JayD Allan Servoss' work is out of this world. There is something about lonely scenes that I think are sooo beautiful. I can't believe he does that with colored pencils. I hadn't seen his work.

Judí, thank you, I keep changing styles and after seeing Allan's work, I want to do that, of course there, I'm only dreaming.

Cathie Jones
01-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Wowzers! I took a field trip to Mary's stuff too.

Mary, your work is so imaginative. I love the textures! You can paint watercolor over paper like that, too - we did it a couple of times in a class I used to take.

Time for dinner . . . BBL

JayD
01-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Mary, Servoss has two ways of working--he creates a tonal value drawing (grisaille) using either graphite or a silver colored pencil. He then will use fixative to stablilize the drawing and keep it from smearing. After this he begins layering on his colors. What you end up with, coupled with his imagination, is a world of stillness that takes on an ethereal quality. There is a demonstration of this technique in the Explorations book.

Mary Woodul
01-21-2005, 09:50 PM
JayD, I really would love to try that. When you have worked with a lot of texture and busy paintings you feel a need for something soft and calmer. I think that is why I am liking graphite so much but it is when I try to use colored pencils that htings get messy for me. I will try the fixative.

Thanks, CJ, You know watercolor is somehting I have never tried, so after I master the colored pencil I'll try watercolor :D

JayD
01-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Mary, Sandra Angelo McFall talks about this technique as well--she says that the technique usually works best when using muted, subtle tones. So things like nature, old photos, and any image using dull colors will work fine. If you go for a brightly colored palatte then you should go with grays derived from complementary colors (See the work of Moderator Arlene Steinberg who is a master with this technique) or with gray or silver colored pencils.

Also, bear in mind that when creating a graphite underpainting the values should be AT LEAST two shades lighter then normal. A fixative applied to your underpainting will keep the piece from smearing.

Alternatively, you take your graphite drawing and your favorite paper (white or colored) to a store that has a copy service and they will run the picture onto your paper for you (call ahead to see what sizes they take or for other requirements) and you can then color over that without the use of a fixative.

Judi1957
01-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Posting stage 3. Looks like I need some more darks. Pick out highlights.Then to add some texture. Not too wild about the tabletop so I'll work on that somemore.
C & C please.
See yunz tomorrow!

JayD
01-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Judi, snoop around your house and look at some of your tables. You might want to pick a woodgrain that you like and are familiar with for extra added interest.

Also, what are you going to do with the white background> I suspect that working out the background may help you resolve some of your tonal issues. It is surprising how important a background really is.

vasilkadifeli
01-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Thanks a lot to all those who have commented on my work... JayD depart from realism and add a smiley face on the bottle? well I have to understand first what you mean before I add anything... as I said I am not an artist so I try to draw what I can see... for me an artist is who he has creativity and can create something different and beautiful form the ref object he sees or even from imagination... I lack this ability... anyway here is my drawing after some corrections... corected the lower part of the pot, the shadows on the glass, its shadows on the bottle, and the bottle's neck part...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2005/32140-artacademi-drawing_step2.jpg

mothsailor
01-22-2005, 06:04 AM
I always miss all the excitement! :mad:

Sults, that's really great news! I'm so happy for you. :clap: :clap: :clap:

mothsailor
01-22-2005, 06:33 AM
Judi, looking good! I like the reflections. Just darken those darks! :)

Vasil, ditto!

JayD
01-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Vasil, I think you and I have a colloquilism conflict--I have a rep in Latin America who doesn't always pick up on my speech patters. SORRY! :D Go look at the work of MC Escher--he has some MARVELOUS drawings in which the room reflects from one of his drawin object so that what you see is the room reflected in the object.

For you I suggest you try a self portrait reflecting out of the object --it will help you discover some things about the curve of the bottle and the distortions that it causes--just for fun--OR put anything in there you want.

The point is--DO NOT be afraid to unleash your creativity on to a still life--I've seen drawings like this done many times before and EVERYONE is more concern with getting the drawing "right" --EXACTLY duplicating what they see.

MONKS COPY--ARTIST DRAW! :D

All drawings are the reflection of the artist--remember the tree in the previous class--I had everybody put something in the tree to symbolize something about themselves.

Same here.

Make it your goal to Make every piece you draw be your signature piece.

In the case of your still life--play with the reflections. Show us what you really see.

This just added for Vasil: OH NO, MY FRIEND--I think you ARE an artist--All I have to do is look at that watercolor and I see that artist trying to claw his way out.

Don't think so hard--just let it happen. :)

bjcpaints
01-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Well I'm going to do the happy dance with Deb, my Tsunami project painting sold yesterday.

Here is step 3 of my drawing and I think I will leave it there because I'm dying to start with the other still life in a different medium.

Mary, Congratulations! I am a bit behind here and catching up on msgs. I have seen your work in other forums and I am not surprised your painting sold. So generous of you to donate. Your drawing looks great too!
Barbara

Sultry - I am sure you have breathed a big sigh of relief to have your daughter safe at home now.

Everyone's colorful work is amazing and is really livening up this lesson! I know I am behind. I actually have an appointment to meet 2 small dogs this morning (before the giant snow storm) to make notes for their portraits. Can you believe it?

vasilkadifeli
01-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Dave and JayD thanks alot but I am afraid I posted the first version of my drawing don't know what happend to me :rolleyes: here is the corrected second version...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2005/32140-aa-drawing_step2.jpg

Dave, yes I will probably use my 4B pencil for those darks...

JayD thanks a lot for the explanation... I am going to search for MC Escher's work in the internet...

BTW I think you said next week we gonna use a charcoal pencil... I just came back from the market where I went into an art store and asked for a charcoal pencil... there were pencils, thick and thin stikcs which I even broke one :D... anyway, he didn't charge me but he showed me one of pencil type and said "you better get this one, it's a good one"... I am not sure if I got the correct thing... it is Frech made and on it I can read "CARBONE Conte A PARIS FRANCE 722 H G9" :confused:... there were also Derwent "charcoal" pencils light, medium, and dark... I would go for them but their wood didn't look so good...

JayD
01-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Charcoal comes in thick and thin and in pencils. I will be using a combination for my demonstration so whatever you have on hand you can use. :)

sultry
01-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Hey Morn All, :wave:
Sorry was going through whole house re-chkg and bolting storm windows. We are expecting a big one this afternoon and awoke to a very cold cold draft. Did not want to get out of bed and make coffee. :( But Coffee urge won and I had to. lol
Judi your drawing is coming along :clap: & yes a bg would do alot :)
Vasil I must say that is nice straight neck on that bottle. You sure did some great changes.
Hey ty Dave :wave:
I see your busy early here Teach :cat: (cheshire cat smile)

edited to add... Jay I wanted to pick up some charcoal dust but the art store did not carry it. I thought it would be fun to kind of paint with it for a soft effect. Can it be grinded from a pencil too? Could I use bar b q chunks and grind them? don't laff if it is a silly question.

mothsailor
01-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Sults, I've never tried it myself, but I've read about people making their own charcoal (and graphite) powder from pencils and/or sticks. I they make it by rubbing on sandpaper.

sultry
01-22-2005, 09:23 AM
ohhh that is what that miniture spanking paddle is for :evil: not for pinky torture after all Rofl
edited...sorry guys I am so giddy..must be because I am so relieved

JayD
01-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Sults--I say experiment, play and have fun--it you want to draw with a briquettte then go for it and let's see what happens. Look at OzonaLori's work with twigs and just marvel at the results she was able to achieve with just a stick.

Regarding--charcoal dust--well, I am not ready for that one--as said before, I have a thing about clean hands so this will be interesting for me. I work for a forensics laboratory so please understand this obsession. Not quite ready for the dust. :D You go ahead and use it though if you wish.

NOW CHOCOLATE DUST! THAT WOULD BE ANOTHER MATTER! :D

Judi1957
01-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Morning All! :wave:

Thanks for the C & C. :)
Hey, for a change I planned my background! I know now not to let the complete plan go to the end. Learned my lesson the hard way!

We're getting snowed in here pretty good in the mountains, so I will be finishing the still life today and on to color! :D

mhimeswc
01-22-2005, 11:15 AM
I still haven't started my still lifes yet. (Hanging head in shame and crying) :crying: No, nothing earthshaking has happened to prevent me from doing my homework, just little stuff and life in general. So I'm just posting to let you all know I'm still here and have been admiring everyone's work. I will definitely get something posted today.

Michelle

sultry
01-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi Michelle :wave: glad your still with us :)
Heyyyy Dave I think I will do what Jay says and experiment with it. Gee my ancestors drew on walls with it (why can't I)? I may just have a bon fire to keep warm here. brrr I just got back from BF's garage he has it across the street. He just purchased a Daewoo excavator and had me take a couple of pics of him in it. Yeah you guessed it, He wants a portrait. lol
hey Barbara I just saw this and ty I am so relieved!
Sultry - I am sure you have breathed a big sigh of relief to have your daughter safe at home now.
Judi does that mean your snowed in????
brb, ugh I have to fight the cold again, forgot Potatoes....oh no I remembered the meat but forgot the potatoes...geesh long lines here I come. :(

sultry
01-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Everyone's colorful work is amazing and is really livening up this lesson! I know I am behind. I actually have an appointment to meet 2 small dogs this morning (before the giant snow storm) to make notes for their portraits. Can you believe it?

Fireman's kid
01-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi everyone! It sure was busy here last night! Too much to comment on individually but I did want to say congrats to Mary for selling your tsunami project and a big HIP HIP HOORAY! to Sultry for finally having her daughter home and knowing she is safe! That must be a huge relief.

Also Sults your drawing is looking great! You really have a full range of values on that gas tank. Good job! :clap:

And thanks to those who said I was good with C&C. I am not at all comfortable with it because I still feel like such a beginner. It's that "Who am I to give advice" feeling. But on the other hand, you are all so nice and have helped me so much, I want to repay the favor if I can. Maybe now I'll be a little braver about it. :D

Vasil - I feel like you do about adding my own creativity. I am comfortable following a reference photo but get uncomfortable when I have to add something of my own or something made up. However, I envy people who can do that and it is a goal I am hoping to achieve some day.

Well, we are getting snowed in this weekend too. Expecting 12 to 18 inches of snow. Hubby is out braving the crowds at the video store right now. Gosh I love him! :D Since I'll be stuck in my house for the next two days I should have no excuses not to draw. Of course this would be a perfect time for my creativity to kick in and think up some. :evil: :p

Cathie Jones
01-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Stacy, here's another chance for some C&C - I know you do watercolor, too.

Ready for some C&C on the fruit bowl. Still not sure where I'm going with the foreground or background, so some advice there wouldn't hurt, either. :rolleyes: Played with watercolor pencils in the foreground, and the shapes are okay, but I don't like the color.

mothsailor
01-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi CJ, guess you're not having problems with snow like the New Englanders here! I like the reflections on the fruit bowl. Trouble is, it looks like it's got a big dent in it where the fruit on the table is. Maybe the fruit banged into the bowl very hard! :D The fruit look good and solid...can't see any problem with the colour myself. A background would be nice! :wink2:

Did you notice I've just passed 500 posts. I'm now a veteran!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2005/52179-120103_emA55_prv1.gif

JayD
01-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Cathie, overall I like the piece an I think you have done an outstanding job rendering the metal and yup--I see the reflection now :D I would try to give some variety in color to the grapes--grape colors are not always uniform and also be on the look out for imperfections that might add more character to the fruit. Also consider that the plums(?) color will reflect in the grape and that the same goes for the other. Consider also those places where light totaly disappears. You have a white foreground--have you considered a really dark--even black background?

Congratulations, Dave!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
01-22-2005, 01:44 PM
FIELD TRIP:

EVERYBODY GO HERE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK--BE SURE TO PRAISE THE ARTIST IF YOU LIKE:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3127107#post3127107

JayD
01-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Cathie--I wanted to comment on Dave's comment on the dent--I did not see it at first but now it makes sense. There is an easy fix here. First remember that you are reflecting a three-dimensional object with substance so the reflection must have depth and substance as well. Where is the reflection of the cloth that the fruit is siitting upon--also dont forget the reflected fruit's cast shadow.

sultry
01-22-2005, 01:52 PM
bbbbbbbackbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr hi everyone :wave:
CJ your fruit is looking so good !!!!
Stacy ty yes I am relieved lol and ty about the gas tank I listened to you. :) see it is not that hard to give a good constructive critique as long as your artist eye sees something that can improve a pic and you can explain it how you think it should be. :)
Jay I alrready been there and pmd the artist to put up a wip on that cat or a diff one I am so flabberghasted by that cat.
Oh, and everyone should go see Roper and Heads & Tails that is great texture too. :)
Ok going to go thaw out my feet & have some hot cocoa with marshmellow and whip cream :cat: :)
edited to add...Congrats Dave Vet I did not even notice when I came became one.

mothsailor
01-22-2005, 02:43 PM
CJ, maybe I wasn't too clear. I hope this will make it clearer. The blue line shows where I think it looks like the pot curves. There is also a shadow on the pot that looks wrong...the fruit wouldn't be casting a shadow behind it because you show the fruit casing a shadow forward, so it makes it look like it is caused by a ridge on the pot.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2005/52179-cj.jpg

Cathie Jones
01-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks everybody! You guys are the greatest! Dave, here's the photo again - the fruit on the table does have reflection under it as well as in the bowl. I can also see where it looks like a dent and will try to fix that.

The foreground and background are still up for grabs, so the foreground doesn't reflect in the bowl yet. The bowl does need to have a reflection of the shadow under the fruit, though. I'm thinking about adding blue to the foreground, which will account for the blue in the bowl.

I can see that the grapes nearest the plums (or whatever they are!) need to be darkened, they're in shadow. The others, however, do have color differences and 'flaws' that you can't see in the reduced image, so I won't do much more to them, other than maybe make them a tad darker.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2005/23460-still_life_photo.012005.jpg

Judi1957
01-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Afternoon all :wave:

I am embarrased :o :o :o to tell you I have spent several hours working on my bg. I thought it was a good idea to make stone. DH said it looked like loaves of bread so with that C & C I have been really fretting and messing with it to the point I would like to throw it! If I make it with too dark of values it competes w/ the focal point. And with the light values it looks washed out. Oh I am so sorry I didn't do the bg from the book! Any advise to fix this mess (that I always get myself into :( ) would be appreciated.
The left and right sides look different because I have just come to a halt.

Erased the table top and haven't fixed it yet or the cloth, so I'll go there now.

Mary Woodul
01-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi! All :wave: ,

JayD.....I'm all excited about this new technique, (for me at least). I have a set of metalic colored pencils. Will the silver pencil that is in the set work or are you talking about special pencils? Thank you for all of that (splaining).

Vasil, definitely you are an artist.

Barbara and Stacy, thank you for your comments.

Sultry and all that are around that area keep warm. I was listening in the news that you are expecting a huge snow storm.

CJ, I love the color in your watercolor and it is beyond me how you can achieve that shine. I am listening carefully to what JayD is saying because I am having trouble with the values since it will be the first painting in my technique where I am going to try to stick to the rules. I'll post a WIP a little later on.

Great field trip. The silkiness on the cats fur is awesome.

Wow Judi, I love that, it makes it look cozy.

sultry
01-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Ohhh Judi what a great idea this reminds me of a stage coach cabin that I once visited. Wow such a neat idea...
here is a great site for stones take a field trip and look deeply at the textures of the stones....notice that it is sharp edges that have bold lines or marks. Stones are so much fun, lets you sketch out frustration lol.
http://www.avebury-stones.co.uk/

Cathie Jones
01-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Judi, I like it! Sults beat me to the description - the rock wall reminds me of a cozy cabin.

JayD
01-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Judi, I think moving on to the table top is a better idea then fretting. I don't think there is a mess at all but finishing the table and such will probably either solve the problem that you are facing or make it blazingly clear enough to point you to the right fix.

I like the stones. Great Idea!!

mhimeswc
01-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Here, at long last, is stage one of project one. This is done in an 8 1/2 x 11 sketchbook. I had trouble getting my ellipses level.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2005/20035-Lesson10StillLifeSm.jpg

Judi1957
01-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Evening all :wave:

As individual stones they look just right. I just cannot get the stone to look right in the 'big pic', but I guess that's just the way it is sometimes. Done fretting.
C & C is most welcome!

Judi1957
01-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Hey all :wave: Not sure if I am to be the subbie subbie tonite but I see no one else is here at the moment.

Vasil, I think your work is so wonderful. How dare you say you are not an artist. You are a very good artist!!!! Don't you forget that! (smiley shaking finger)

CJ, Your painting is looking really good, I see what Dave and JayD are saying. Looking forward to your next post!

Barb, Had enough of the white stuff yet? We only got about 10" so I am not complaining...yet...we'll see how it is in the morning.

Michelle, Glad to see you. Looking at your post it is looking pretty good. The problem I see is you drew your horizontal line for center of the base of the creamer but it is not really horizontal, same for the saucer and none for the pot. I think this threw things off and you may want to recheck that.

Dave...You are a three star guy!!!! :D

Sults, Not snowed in but I'm not going out anyway. Maggie went to the other hill today w/ 4 wheel drive and had no problem there. Cars were all over the place though. I had her stop in my workplace to pick up my boots I had forgotten and she set off the alarm cause she didn't swipe out. Oh boy! :rolleyes:

JayD, Hey, :wave: Thanks for the advice, I needed to get away from that. Still see a problem, but maybe it will jump out at me tomorrow. :D

Mary, :wave: Thanks.

JayD
01-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Judi--you might have noticed that I don't strictly adhere to the De Reyna class--that is because the student body here is very diverse. I have been listening to you guys talk about folds so there will be a class on folds and if enough people want a class on Backgrounds--then you guys will get one on backgrounds--take a vote, folks!

Judi1957
01-22-2005, 08:16 PM
JayD,
I had edited my request in my last post because I thought I may be out of line asking you about a class on backgrounds.
You do so much already. :D :clap: :D :clap:

But as you are asking and willing I vote yes.

Mary Woodul
01-22-2005, 08:51 PM
I vote Yes Judi and JayD. I need that too. I hadn't gone through the book and the're a lot of interesting things in the de Reyna book, I also found that I was copying the still life in the light and shade section......dugh.... :D

JayD, I got my prismas today so I will soon try the grisaille. :clap:

JayD
01-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Judi--I will need to research the subject so it may be a couple of weeks but you guys will get the background class if you want it. It seems to me a subject that sometimes, pardon the pun, gets left in the background.

Mary, you can post it here if you wish or on the main forum and, of course, if you are brave in the colore pencil forum. Make sure we get to see your steps and good luck. I may drop Allen Servoss a line when you are finished. :D

Cathie Jones
01-22-2005, 09:34 PM
JayD, I also vote YES for backgrounds and folds - especially folds. The DeReyna book is good, but you're right that we need more basics in individual techniques.

Thank you!!

Metier
01-22-2005, 10:04 PM
And the teddy bear is strange looking IRL, but not as grim as this photo shows. The inspiration is my grandson, just across the field, now 5 months old. He has enough toys for me to borrow lots. I wanted a mix of hard and soft objects. This is done on Strathmore drawing paper, all-purpose Crayola colored pencils. I sketched it in charcoal with things in different positions before I settled on this arrangement.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/29839-Nursery_sketchxm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2005/29839-Nurseryxm.jpg

Although mine are not so far out of the stage demonstrated by your color rendition, the objects create a certain feeling in my stomach. Thomas the train, etc. It seems these new "stars" of childrens' cartoons have a shelf life of one or two years. Bugs and Speed Racer were around much longer ( or at least it seems). Thanks for the feelings.

Metier
01-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Graphite 2b, 4b and 8b. Paper is Strathmore 400 medium. The texture of the paper seems to prohibit dark shatding. It always seems to have speckles of white. This seems like a lot of homework; however, I have been busy this week and it seemed like two weeks. I don't even have colored pencils.

Judi1957
01-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Evening Metier, :wave:
Haven't seen you for a while. Good to hear from you. Don't feel bad, I had a busy week to and just finished mine. Others got two or three done.
You have a good start here but there are a few areas you need to relook at. First of all, all looks good and vertical. Had you drawn your centerline and erased it?
I think if you look at the bottom of the coffee pot you have a flatish bottom because your ellipse is not quite round enough or symetrical. Look back at some of the other stage one posts and see how they set them up. The first step is to get your shapes correct. The handle looks good only I think it slopes down too much.
Your cup looks good, the cup handle needs to be a bit more rounded, large enough so that fingers can grasp thru the opening. the saucer ellipse looks good but a little flat. Study the ref and some of the other posts to see how the shading gave the shape to the saucer. The underside of the saucer doesn't transition the way it needs to. The creamer bottom ellipse is the same as the coffee pot and needs to be more rounded and the overall shape needs some straightening.
As for darkening, Teeny-tiny circles will do the trick. Good Job! :clap:

JayD
01-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Metier--this class is geared toward Beginning, Middle and Advanced students therefore the workload SEEMS to be instense. I have said this before and I DO NOT mind saying it a million more times--work at your own pace and do those projects that you want to do. We want challenging projects for the beginners but we don't want the Advanced ones to become bored.

You don't have to have colored pencils--I try to expose people to different medias so that you can see how much the same yet different they all are. Heck you can do these in crayon if you want--by the way, don't laugh there are artists that work wonders with crayons--there is even one who is almost photrealistic with an etch-a-sketch!!

Now to your project: Try to avoid hard edges like the lines running around the coffee pot--remember that this is a cylinder that you are drawing so try to work for the ROUNDNESS OF THE POT.

You can shade on that paper--you mentioned white specks--the problem with this paper is that your pencil is too dull. You can either keep the pencil sharpened constantly or you can use a mechanical pencil--eithr will be fine. You may have to shade using tiny, tiny circles--gradually building up the tone layer by layer.

Drawing takes time and patience--don't give up on it--you are doing fine and you will get there--but work at your pace and if you get bored or frustrated then just move on to something else and come back later. Drawing should be something to make you relax.

Regarding this class--I have projects and "homework" and "field trips and the like to create the "sense" of a class-like enviroment. This is for fun and the learning process is for fun as well--you can only do what you can do--nothing more.

PS METIER: I just went back and checked out your line drawing--your drawing is very good but you tend to put a hard edge around the objects--you might want to try keeping your initial line drawing VERY light, then build up your layers so that the edges will just naturally disappear.

mothsailor
01-23-2005, 06:09 AM
Judi, I think your finished drawing is excellent. The reflections on the coffee pot are especially good, but I like the backgound too. And the wood grain. :clap:

I think a class on backgrounds would be helpful, though on the other hand, all drawings have one, so maybe it could be done in the context of another class. For example, the still life in charcoal on page 73 of de Reyna has an interesting background. Either way, I think it would be a good thing to spend some time on.

Metier, I think everyone has had classes where they have had to do less than they would have liked. Your drawing is coming along nicely...don't have anything to add to the other comments, except that the perspective on the table looks a bit out. BTW, Thomas the Tank Engine has been around for 60 years!!

sultry
01-23-2005, 08:49 AM
Judi--you might have noticed that I don't strictly adhere to the De Reyna class--that is because the student body here is very diverse. I have been listening to you guys talk about folds so there will be a class on folds and if enough people want a class on Backgrounds--then you guys will get one on backgrounds--take a vote, folks!

Ohhh yes please Jay, I do believe bgs are an essential tool to our pictures. I am having such a time on deciding what should be darker or lighter in this piece I am working on now. :( I have the excavator darkest but I read somewhere the foreground should be. I have the back back ground (the trees very light) . I just wish I could find that information I read on backgrounds and foregrounds. I am not sure if my tiger should be the darkest or my excavator because it is what is supposed to leading the eye to the tiger. :confused:

:clap: :clap: :clap: Judi, I love this :clap: :clap:
What I love of this is the play of textures ~ it leads the viewer's eye on a dance across so many wonderful textures ~~~ The stone ( smooth but coarse) The Pot & Creamer (smooth and shiny with outstanding reflections) The table or shelf ( smooth but grainy) I think the over all with all these textures is such a treat for the hungry viewer's eye. This to me is your most creative piece :clap: :clap: :clap:

Connie, your colored picture of toys has a very warm but playful feeling to me. It reminds me of years ago when I just put my children to bed to nap or sleep for the night. The time would be late at night or nap time when I have a moment to myself to reflect on the prior activities. As I started to pick up toys and deposit them in their toy box or shelves and stopping to look at an arrangement (just like your piece) & deciding ok this does not look bad, I can leave this setup as is, instead of putting them away.

Morn Dave :wave: Hi Mary :wave: CJ I love how are your painting is coming along :wave:

Judi1957
01-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Hey there JayD, Dave and Sultry..Morning :wave:

Thanks for the C & C Sults and Dave. I'm glad you like it.
After being so frustrated with it I went to color. Soft muted color is how I want this. This piece needs finished yet, some more layers and the tissue paper needs completed on the left side rear. But I'll call it stage 2.
C & C please.

Judi1957
01-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Sults,
Not sure about your dilemma either. I think the tiger and machine are both focals with the tiger being the main-main (does that make sense?), but how to handle that, see what the Boss and others think, sorry no help :( . I will be interested as to the solution here.

sultry
01-23-2005, 09:21 AM
Mornnn Judi :wave:
wow this is going to be beautiful (already is) but do not be mad at me, this is what I see so far, The fruit (is it an apple?) is so light it may need just a touch of core shadow color.
The tissue paper has a look of see through to it (more like krinkled siran wrap) I think you need to establish the texture of the tissue a little more.
The wood grain is fab and so are the screws or nails.

sultry
01-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Sults,
Not sure about your dilemma either. I think the tiger and machine are both focals with the tiger being the main-main (does that make sense?), but how to handle that, see what the Boss and others think, sorry no help :( . I will be interested as to the solution here.
I know Judi, but I was looking at other beautiful drawings with machinery with the foreground light and the background trees dark. It showed an old tractor with little kids playing on it and the trees very dark in the bg. A very lovely piece. I do not think I can show a link to it, unless I get permission from artist. He is from a diff site AP.

Judi1957
01-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the C & C (why would I be mad at you?). The more layers will take care of the core shadow of the pear (odd variety) yeah-strongly resembles an apple so I thought also. I will look more closely at the tissue paper and get some more texture. Another problem here is I should have done it on Stonehenge instead of my sketchbook. :(

bjcpaints
01-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone! :wave: Yeah, We are snowed in pretty good here. Well over a foot anyway. I wish I could keep up with the posts here and comment on everyone's work. It is always interesting to see the results of so many of us drawing the same thing isn't it? Here is my Step #2 - transferred (yes, again because I ripped the other one) onto 140 LB Canson watercolor paper. I actually broke done and bought some. See how dedicated I am to staying in this course. I should be working on my commissions and I want to do the WDE, BUT no, I had to get past this stage or I would be so frustrated! This is rough and needs clean up, etc. but I am going to go back to the beginning and re-read the instructions for this lesson before continuing. Oh, and I will vote with the majority on a extra class on folds & backgrounds.
Barbara

Judi1957
01-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Barbara, This is looking real fine!. The only nit pic I see is to lift the right side of the creamer top up a tad. :clap: :clap:
Dedicated you are! I cannot even buy a pencil here in this town. Michael's is moving to a bigger building and I went in an ALL the art supplies have been moved to the new store which will not open till the 31st :( .Hopefully the stck they carry will be expanded!

JayD
01-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Judi, I just saw your apple drawing and I love it! Did you do the color over pencil? If you did did you encounter ay problems? I would just work on deepening your shadows and I would personally shun any background. It has a wonderful simplicity to it that I like.very much. BTW, very nice tissue work!-jay :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
01-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Judi--I will need to research the subject so it may be a couple of weeks but you guys will get the background class if you want it. It seems to me a subject that sometimes, pardon the pun, gets left in the background.

Mary, you can post it here if you wish or on the main forum and, of course, if you are brave in the colore pencil forum. Make sure we get to see your steps and good luck. I may drop Allen Servoss a line when you are finished. :D
JayD, I wouldn't be that brave to post it in the C/P forum, I don't even know if I can make it through the first stages :crying: , but I'm going to try and I'll post here with you all, that know me. I saw Arlene's technique and it is awsome too. What I think I like so much of Allan Servoss' also, is his use of perspective.

Judi, I love your apple. I would also like to know if you went straight with colour or does it have underpainting?

Barbara, your drawing is so well executed, it is going to be outstanding.

Sultry, what your dealing with right now about the focal point is one of the things that baffles me most about composition. I agree with Judi, you have two elements of the same importance.

Hope you all have better weather today. :D

Metier
01-23-2005, 05:38 PM
The little circles work to make the dark darker! Thanks.

I attempted to stay away from hard lines on all but the horizontal lines of the pot. It looks better than previous attempts.

I appreciate all of your comments.

Judi1957
01-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Metier, :wave:

This is wonderful. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Really did a great job!!! I see you have avoided hard lines more!

Try this, put some more values in the container, foreground and background and watch those hard lines disappear!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
01-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Metier! That is wonderful! The circles are really handy. You did really well eliminating the hard lines! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mhimeswc
01-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Here is my attempt at the first still life. Let's see - the objects are not entirely straight in the drawing; the drawing is not entirely straight on the paper; and the paper was evidently not straight in the scanner. So I had a little trouble cropping it so it looks right. This is the best I can do. :rolleyes:

I hope to start the second one tonight, but it won't be done before bedtime.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2005/20035-StillLifeLesson10.jpg

JayD
01-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Michelle, I am very taken by the reflections. Nice work. In the theatre, we say "When in doubt--Hot Glue"--I guess my credo for some problem is "when in doubt--crop!" :D Very nice work and don't worry about the lean. You have a nice piece. :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
01-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey Michelle :wave:
You got that done fast and it looks really great considering you did not exactly take a straight road. :rolleyes:
I'll not mention anything vertical or horizontal. :D The only thing I really see is the cup is a little mis-shapen, and that happens easily as we are working with the shadows in the saucer and highlight on the left side. I had to re-shape mine a couple of times. I think the shadows need darkened.

I love the reflectance you accomplished!!!!! This is beautiful!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey Mary :wave: , Sorry I didn't answer you. No underpainting on the fruit, except two base layers of cream and light peach for the fruit. I hadn't intended it to be for class and unfortunatley did it in my sketchpad so it is not taking too many layers :( .
How is your grisaille coming?

Mary Woodul
01-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Metier, your drawing looks great!

Michelle and your work is always very good.

Here is my exercise 2 in my technique. Acrylic, oil, and oil stain over tissue paper on canvas panel. I think I need to give the apples a little more volume and my table doesn't seem to be staight. The grapes are not that blue in real life. I'm used to not worrying about highlights and volume too much because my style is more expressionistic, but in this piece I think it needs it.
C&Cs welcome, please.

Judi, I am trying the grisaille in a project that is in the Mixed Media forum, of chiaroscuro, from a black and white photograph. I started with the graphite first and then sprayed and now am working with black prisma pencil but it still isn't dark enough. JayD, do the little circle work with colored pencil also, to get it darker?