PDA

View Full Version : Cold Rain...progress pics

diane555
11-27-2001, 03:21 PM
Hi everyone

It's tea time so thought I'd throw something in here. Since I opened my big big mouth and suggested that we should all put progress shots of our work in here I decided to put some pics from the beginning of 'Cold Rain', my current work. Wendee: I had to smile when I saw your thread (summer rain) as I was working on coooold rain! And I included the absolutely horrid sketch I did one morning.

I have fallen completely in love with Philadelphia...but there are some scenes from the city that really catch my attention, such as street people& the old architecture. Some images just beg to be recreated. There is nothing beautiful about living on the streets but these people often have something about them that calls me. Anyway, this one is about 17" tall. Although I generally work fairly realistically I am going to try to do something else this time. We'll see if I can get away with it.

Have fun with these.... :D
Di
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2001/coldrainaa.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2001/coldrainbb.jpg

jhusel
11-27-2001, 03:35 PM
Hey looking good! That rock stand behind the figure looks great. What are you planning on doing with the piece? Cast it, sculpt it in another medium, etc?

I like the figurative forms. :)

sandge
11-27-2001, 05:50 PM
Wow! These are sensational, Diane. It's great to see the development of this piece. What material are you using? Also what is the armature made from - is that baking foil?

Thanks for sharing! :D

diane555
11-27-2001, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the positive comments!

jhusel: Thanks :) Not sure what I will do with it yet. I would prefer to use oil clay but my new shipment isn't in yet, so if I like it guess I'll have to cast it in something or at least make a mold of it. As for the rock thing...I bet 50% of the homes and buildings around this area have these strange and wonderful rock walls. They seem to be everywhere! And some of them are so cool. Very creative people lived here long ago I think.

Sandrafletcher: Thanks for the boost to my confidence :) I am working with traditional wet clay as it's the only thing I had lots of at the time. (actually I love the feel of wet clay...reminds me of my childhood in the fields). The armature is made from galvanized wire that I picked up at the hardware (12 guage) wrapped with...you guessed it!...plain old tin foil. Works well for me anyway. If this was a smaller piece I would have just wrapped the wire with a finer guage wire to give the clay a play to grab on. Not sure how many people prepare their armatures in this way but it works for me.
Have a good one :D
Di

wendee
11-27-2001, 10:54 PM
wow dianne this is really intresting....:D :D

impetuous
11-27-2001, 11:15 PM
Diane you're a star for posting these pics, they are great, and for a real novice/ignoramus (like me!) give an insight into how thsi sort of thing is done.
I can see that I am going to be hooked to this forum, it's a very happening place!:D

Yielding
11-28-2001, 11:13 AM
Hi diane

Love the progress pics. Always like to see how things are created. The sculpture is great too. Keep them coming

:) :)

diane555
11-28-2001, 07:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Wendee: Waiting paiently to see your next pic :)

Impetuous: I happy to hear we have hooked another!!! Maybe if we get lucky we'll see something of yours on here one day???

Yeilding: thanks...
Hopefully I can get back on this piece tomorrow, but I got soooo many goodies at the art store today who knows what I'll be doing. LOL

Di :D

mebucko
11-29-2001, 08:39 PM
Di: Finally! I have found something that I can comment on that you've done, before you take that the wrong way, just let me say that almost every time I see something done by you, it's already waaay late.
Anyway, I want to say kind'a early on that I can already see that this will be a groovy piece.
I love the pose, that is a problem I must have, 'cause I'm envious of the way you've done that.
I also like the way that you started off showing the step-by-step. Even if somebody already knows it,
(not me) it is an interesting process to watch. I don't know how you do all of the stuff that I have seen, you must be involved in about 10 projects at once at all times, whew!
Anyhow Di, thanks for posting, I can't wait to see the next progress, but 'specially the ending!
-Randy-

diane555
11-30-2001, 07:29 AM
Hi Randy!

Thanks for the comments. My new clay came in yesterday and now I wish I had done this in that. But anyway, using wet clay means I will have the incentive to get it done sooner! You're right about having a lot of things on the go at one time but I didn't have any time for 3 months when I was renovating the house and now I have suddenly have all this 'art time' and I am not going to waste it! My son asked me the other day what the chances were of him getting a new quilt for Christmas too! hmmm

Well, hopefully I can get back on this today and have something new to put in here.
Have a good day,
Di :D

diane555
11-30-2001, 03:27 PM
Just me again with a few new pics. Managed to get a little time in the studio today so I thought I'd post these. Planning to go for a soaking wet, standing in the rain look when I am finsihed. Haven't got it yet. Think I might have to get my husband to stand in the shower with his clothes on so I have a lifelike model... :D

Have a great day!

Di :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2001/coldraincc.jpg

mebucko
11-30-2001, 03:57 PM
Di: It's starting to come together now, I can see him developing. I can already feel the chill!
I would volunteer for the shower model job, but you do live so far, but I will (almost) do anything to get out of raking leaves! :)
Good luck, an Thank you!
-Randy-

impetuous
11-30-2001, 05:40 PM
Wow Diane, this is REALLY coming on! You have really captured a look of total dejection.
Fantastic :clap:

wendee
12-01-2001, 05:59 AM
this is looking great Dianne...:D :D

Dianne I haven't done any more...:D just too much on my plate this week...hoping to get some done soon...:D :D

tritium_pie
12-03-2001, 03:15 PM
hey Diane it's looking *really good*! I like the pose. and the progress pics are fantastic. thank you so much for sharing. can't wait to see the finished item.

B

diane555
12-07-2001, 03:42 PM
Hi all

I have been reminded not to forget about this guy LOL so here is a quick update. Been working on the face. Again, I am kicking myself in the behind for putting the head on too soon!!! Had to flip him over to do this , then I'll have to fix up what I messed up again! Guess I just hate to see these people without their heads.

Hey Randy...I doubt very much if I am the first person to do a human in this pose, nor will I be the last. So please please go ahead and start a piece if you like the pose. I would love to see how it comes out :D I think it would be fun! BUT, I want to see progress pics OK?

Sorry these pics aren't better. Wish I knew what brand of cam to buy next time (this is my second...geesh)
(you'd think by now I'd remember to upload the image)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2001/coldrainff.jpg

mebucko
12-07-2001, 07:46 PM
Hi Di: Well, it's about time! I don't understand about the putting the head on too soon thing, but O.K.:) I guess it wants to fall off? You're maybe not the first person, but I think that I'll leave that one to you, I would like to do something along that line though, that idea is a really good one!
We don't have those purty brick or stone columns here in Texas either...:D That is really shaping up too Di, that face is a shame to hide it, huh? The tilt of his head will be so people will have to bend down to see it, but they'll at least get to see something good. I really like this piece.
As far as the camera goes, I know cameras pretty good, if you ever need any help, I might be able to answer some questions. I just helped a guy today find out which camera to buy, as a matter of fact. Here's a very good site for digital cameras too. http://www.steves-digicams.com/
They have reviews of almost every digital camera and video camera that there is. Accessories too.
I'll PM you any camera info if you want it, I have it all typed up, so no bother, whatever...
You probably don't want to do that around Christmas though!:) Thanks for the update Di, keep us informed, don't make me come begging for it again!:D Lookin' good!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2001/ranbucko-2.gif

impetuous
12-07-2001, 11:17 PM
This is great Di, really coming on. Where do you find the time, especially at this time of year!:D
Great face, cant wait to see the next pics! ( I love to watch things progressing like this)

dnip24
12-08-2001, 12:08 AM
dianne, you are a greatest sculpture artist, good job

wendee
12-08-2001, 09:19 AM
wow what a great face....:D

diane555
12-08-2001, 09:37 AM
Randy: What I meant was that I should have waited till after I modelled it more before adding it because it is kinda hard to get at under there! LOL But it may fall off...who knows??? Thanks for the cam imfo..I'll contact you about it. Appreciate it very much!

Impetuous: Don't know either...just make the time I guess :D But that probably means I'll be doing all my Christmas stuff at one time later!
Dnip24 & Wendee: thanks for the comments. :)

Phyllis Rennie
12-10-2001, 08:12 PM
I've sometimes wondered how sculptors get started on a piece--glad to see your progress pictures. Lookin' good.

max nelson
12-12-2001, 06:14 PM
Di..the face and hood really adds to the power of the image. Agree with Randy, it's a shame with the head tilted down it will not get seen as well.:)
Max

jackddavis
12-12-2001, 07:13 PM
All it lacks is a back pack and a sign "I will work for food". :p Other than that it looks just like the guy on almost every corner.

Give your son a "do it yourself" quilt kit. That's what my mom did...just kidding...but she did teach me to sew and bake, etc. at an early age....Of course, I've forgotten everything she taught me.

Jack

diane555
12-12-2001, 07:53 PM
Hi all

Thought I'd better post a couple new progress pics just so you don't think I went to sleep and completely forgot this guy. I decided you are right...found myself leaning over to see his face a lot so I changed the position of the head.

And I took these with my new camera !!! YIPPEEEE Now, you can actually see somethin' :D Actually I am not so sure HOW I took these so maybe when I learn how to use this thing, the pics will improve. Thank you, Randy, for all your help with the camera stuff :)

Di
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2001/coldrainkk.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2001/coldrainhi.jpg

mebucko
12-12-2001, 08:17 PM
Hi Di, You know what? You're going to want to kill me probably, but (I think) that when you lifted his head up he lost the forlorn/pityful look that he had... he looked like he was getting wet too. I don't know, I would have to say that I liked it better the other way. If the pics were close to identical, it might be easier to tell. To me now, he looks more like an alcoholic than a down and out guy. (I know that you can be both) Just don't hate me for it!:D I will end up stealing this idea one way or the other!:) I do like the pics though, they are clearer than the others. Glad to help too! Have you finished the Merit Badges yet? Those were really good that I saw, way better than what I would've tried to do. I can't wait to get one, would you make ME one!:D

Phyllis Rennie
12-12-2001, 09:51 PM
Please don't kill me either--I had the same reaction! But hey, I don't sculpt (yet!) so feel free to ignore me.

diane555
12-13-2001, 11:38 AM
LOLOLOLOL

I had the same reaction after I saw them on screen last night! Funny how you move one thing a little and the whole feeling is completely changed by it eh? Well, I am going down to the studio today so we will see what happens. I made myself a goal of trying to get him finished this week so I better get moving.

Randy: I finished another 6 this morning and was thinking "Geee, I should make one for Randy" heheheheh I believe you do have one :D
Phyllis: You don't have to be a sculptor to be able to see well :) Thank you for your input. I assume that (yet!) means we will be seeing something from you soon???? :D

Di

impetuous
12-13-2001, 09:42 PM
Hi Di:) Great pictures from your NEW camera!:D I have to agree with Randy and Phyllis about him loosing his despondant look.
Really lookign forward to the next pics!

jackddavis
12-13-2001, 10:37 PM
Now I know where the old saying "keep your head up" comes from. ;)

diane555
12-14-2001, 07:09 PM
Decided I kind of like his head tilted but the other pics were taken from a lower vantage point than one would actually view this piece. I took a couple after working on it today from a standing view point. The thing on his shoulder & on the column is a leaf blowing by ( I tend to put a leaf in most of my work).

Anyway, this is almost finished. Any ideas on what material I should cast this in?????

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2001/coldrainll.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2001/coldrainmm.jpg

mebucko
12-14-2001, 07:45 PM
I don't know Di, I still think that the curve of his back and his head needs to be on the same arc as before. Of course you're there,. and you know best. I see an alcoholic when I see him now, (still) but I go back to the beginning, and he looks down and out. Maybe it's me, I don't know. I sure don't mean to be a pain though. I've just seen too many of these guys, I guess...:)
I also love the idea of leaves, that's right up my alley. You're pretty inventive! That's a signature of sorts, I wish I'd thought of that too!:D

Phyllis Rennie
12-14-2001, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by diane555
LOLOLOLOL

Phyllis: I assume that (yet!) means we will be seeing something from you soon???? :D

Di

Maybe. I'm feeling tempted to try something. Even asked Santa for some clay.:D But don't know how soon--too many ideas going around in my head!

jackddavis
12-15-2001, 05:47 PM
Ever know a person that is always analyzing things? That's been my problem forever.
Always analyzing. What makes that thing work? Why does it do that? Why?

Iím new on this site, so my first thought is to keep my mouth shut and just listen until I
learn my way around. Then I thought....no ....Iím here to learn and I have something to
offer, too. The following is just my observation based on my existing knowledge and
experience, not so much in sculpturing, but other areas that I believe apply to sculpturing.

I've never been a student of the human form.....or have I? Certainly, I've seen my share of
Playboy magazine centerfolds....and I've lived in this body for almost 62 years. Still, I've
never analyzed the human form before. Except to wonder why my belly sticks out like
that.

Looking at the "Cold Rain" sculpture, I like what I see. The artistry is great. Still,
something bothers me........I just couldn't put my finger on it. Putting my analyzing mind to
work, I studied the pictures, mostly in my mind and this morning, it came to me. It's a
mechanical thing. Actually, a perceived mechanical thing. Now mechanical things are my
forte'. Something I do understand. How does it apply to the human form? Balance! The
center of gravity or in the case of sculpturing, the perceived center of gravity. It can mean
the difference between looking not quite right and looking natural.

To come to this conclusion, I tried a few experiments. Standing relaxed with my feet
about 12" apart, I tried to lift one leg without moving my upper torso. Impossible! I lost
my balance. To lift one leg, I had to shift my center of gravity to the supporting leg. A
mass of any kind has a center of gravity. Draw a vertical line through an object and it's
center of gravity ( a point somewhere, usually within the mass). The weight of the mass on
each side of that line is equal to the opposite side. Walk around that object in a 360 deg.
circle and it holds true from any angle that the object is viewed from (including above and
below and any angle between).

What do I mean by perceived center of gravity? Picture a beam on a fulcrum with a weight
on each end and perfectly balanced. If the weight is equal at each end, the fulcrum is in the
center of the beam or at the balance point. Now assume that the weights are boxes of
equal size, but of different materials. Say a lead box at one end and an aluminum box at
the other. Because the boxes are equal in size, the perceived balance point is still the
center of the beam, but since they are of differing weights the actual balance point is
somewhere toward the lead box.

How does this relate to "Cold Rain"? In the case of clay, the actual and perceived center
of gravity are probably nearly the same. However in other mediums it could be very
different, especially if the piece is a mixed medium piece. In the frontal view of Cold Rain,
if I draw a vertical line through what I perceive to be the center of gravity of this piece,
that line falls to the left of the supporting (left) foot. It should almost center on that foot.

From the side view, the perceived center of gravity is more difficult to ascertain, because
some of the weight is supported by the wall, but it looks OK. What bothers me here is the
knee. It should be locked. It appears bent which means that he is supporting himself with
muscles rather than bone. Have you ever been standing, relaxed, and have someone come
up behind you and hit you behind the knees? If you have, you know that you almost
crumpled to the floor. Why? Your knees were locked and muscles relaxed. When you lean
against a wall, you are doing so to relax tired muscles. Therefore, your supporting knee(s)
will be locked and you will be balanced. I tried to pose myself as in "Cold Rain" and found
it very difficult and tiring. Subtle changes in the position of the left leg and straightening
the knee. in my opinion, will make it appear much more natural. It may be just the angle of
the photo, but it also appears to me that most of the weight is forward on the ball of the
left foot and I think it should be solidly on his heel. I canít see the right leg clear enough,
but it obviously doesnít bear any weight due to the bent knee and its position.

When all is said, this writing may not mean a thing......I'm looking at pictures......a two
dimensional presentation of a three dimensional object......and what the heck do I know
anyway? Youíll have to decide if this has any merit. Donít be offended by my
suggestions.....just consider the source. :)

mebucko
12-15-2001, 06:34 PM
Jack, if I might step in here for a second. I agree 100% about what you're talking about here, but, the difference between the mechanics of something and art may differ. Although I thought that the look of the head took 'the look' away, I think that the way he's standing is a look that convinces me that he's down and out. I know you've seen probably as much as anybody, but I think that the 'wobbly unbalanced look' that she's given him is pretty much right on. I almost suggested the same thing as you, but after looking at it, and actually remembering the looks that some of them have, I decided that this 'was' the pose for it. I had to stop and remember that most of the people that are street people are undernourished and almost always, at least a great percentage of 'em anyway are mentally unbalanced to a certain degree. That wobbly stance to me is perfect from what I remember seeing all too much at a job I had a couple of years ago. I also thought that the right foot was twisted too much under, but after looking, I know I have seen a homeless person stand that way, I can't prove it though:D I've never been to Philadelphia before, so I can't say that I know what they look there.:D Of course, this is all up to Di, and we're doing just what we all need, expressing our views. That's the really good thing about WC, it gives us all a chance to see others views. I'm definitely not arguing this, just my views, I do agree with a normally healthy body standing there in that position, in my opinion, you'd be right on with all that you've said. If I stood like that, I know that I'd be falling soon! :) Even if Di did change it, it would look pretty good either way. I personally like it the way it was in the beginning still. Oh well, maybe Di will have him breakdancing before it's all over, she is full of surprises! :D Oh yeah, I was certainly impressed with your knowledge of mechanics, and other things, so it's not like I know what I'm talking about, and if I ever need something figured out, I'll know who to look up!:D
Thanks for hearing me too! Happy-Happy!
Randy

Di, I still love that leaf!

diane555
12-16-2001, 09:20 AM
Howdy howdy

You are absolutely correct Jack! I almost changed that myself a week ago! but.....then I decided it gave him more of a bow-legged look and I kind of like how it appears that he may fall over at some time soon. One thing I really appreciate is that people take the time to give their views on things like this because sometimes it's hard to see those little things when you are working up close to an object for a long time. Easy to miss things sometimes. As max once said in a different thread "I have often thought something was just right until I had it cast in stone, then wanted to kick myself" or something like that.

But I have decided I like this look so I'll leave it for now. I started smoothing out the clay, as I normally would and now I could kick myself because I was determined that this piece was one that I would try hard not to totally finish. I wanted the rough look. I think it takes away the feeling I was trying to evoke, so I think I'll go back and rough him a bit again. As an artist I always worked my pieces to a fairly realistic and finished look and promised myself something different this time. Old habits die hard!!!!

Thanks for all the input guys :)

cheers,
Di

jackddavis
12-16-2001, 01:27 PM
No. Thank you diane.

I have always appreciated positive or constructive input from people about my work. But I have sometimes been shot at for doing the same. That's why I was so thrilled to find this site. It give me a place to float ideas and get feedback.

I almost scrapped the idea of sending that post because I am new here and people don't know me. I've been holding my breath since I posted it, waiting to see what kind of response it would bring. Especially from you, the artist. I wasn't sure what to make of Randy's response. On the one hand it seemed like he was telling me to MYOGDB, but on the other, just discussing his viewpoint. I took it to be the latter. Very difficult to read a persons emotions in a writing. ;) That's why these little faces are helpful.

You and only you know what emotions you are trying to evoke in the viewer and you are the only one that has access to the actual 3D piece. If the photo (camera) were tipped slightly the whole "center of gravity" thing I was talking about would change. Everything I talked about was based on a photo that may, or may not, be giving me a true image of the actual piece.

I learn by listening to other peoples feedback. Unfortunately, many people are offended by unsolicitated feedback. Thank you for easing my mind. Please feel free to give me any constructive feedback about any of my pieces.

mebucko
12-16-2001, 02:35 PM
Heck No!:D I was just voicing an opinion, Jack, that's all! :) I'm really easy to get along with, I just like to type, that's all. I love the way that you think, and you're a very intelligent guy too, I wish I were!:) Anyway, here, in this forum, say what you want, as long as it's legal...:D
I'm glad you're here, and as far as that goes, I 'magine that everyone else here is too. I would never ever takes offense to you, 'specially if you see how Max treats me! :D I'm sorry if I made you wonder, I just have a big mouth, that's all, ask anybody! I can't very well argue with someone that turns out the stuff that you do, now can I?
I tell you what I like about you aside from the fact that you're a good artist. You take the time, (alot of it too, and that's good) to write what you feel, and there's alot of people that won't bother, they just look at the pictures, and go on. It's like you said, you've found a home here, me too, as long as Max doesn't start charging me rent!:D I haven't sculpted anything in a while, but I still come here to see, learn, and leave outrageous messages!:) So, never take me serious like that, but if I give a compliment, take that very serious... Thanks, Jack, I respect you and your opinions probably more than you realize.
-Randy-

Di, I think that 'whatever' you do, will be fine, finished, or unfinished. I have the same problem, I look at people's stuff and wish I could leave it more unfinished sometimes, but something in me won't let me. When I do a drawing, I have a style that is very haphazard, and that's as close as I'll ever get, and I look at it later, then hate it!:D Oh well... Thanks for letting me talk about the "Rain Man" without your permission!:D I love this idea, and might have to save up enough aluminum cans to buy it from you!:D (Or steal the idea, yeah, that's always cheaper...heh-heh-heh...)
Good luck, and remember, Jack and I will be on your back constantly! (I'm only kidding! :D)

Have a good Sunday!
-Randy-

Oh yeah Jack, I wasn't able to respond to this earlier 'cause my cable ISP (AT&T) wasn't working again, sorry for the slow response!) -R-

max nelson
12-17-2001, 05:25 PM
Hey, ya'll..I found two cents left over from Christmas shopping and this is as good a place as any to spend 'em and enter the new year broke!!:D
Di..I agree with both Jack and Bucco (hehe) how can they argue with that?! Balance seems just a little off..weight on the left leg would probably put it 'under' him a tad.
The original pose really had a disparing mood..liked that a lot...and one other little 'nit'...the leg that's bent looks un natural..like maybe he had been hit by a bus..hence..the alcoholic look that Bucco sees.
Now all of these little things are just that..little things. An artist has their own reasons for what they do, but as you know, if something is amiss...well, people will talk.:D
It is great to see such conversation on this forum and the members that are commenting all have great eyes, but even the less informed can tell if something is not quite right.
It's been said that the camel was designed by a committee, so you must be the final judge. It's looking great and for the material to cast in, may I suggest bronze:)
Max

diane555
12-18-2001, 09:08 AM
LOL You only have two cents left over from Christmas shopping and you think I can do a bronze hehehe. It's a good plan though and I'll think about it. But I'm calculating from the rough totals Frank gave me and I'm thinking it won't be my first stop after Christmas! Yes it is very nice to see everyone talking and giving their opinions in here. That's what this forum is for and I'm happy to see people utilizing it :) Randy definitely likes to type Jack...but I think we all have a bit of type-aholic in us :D

The bent leg disturbed me since I started but for some reason it never got changed. I'm not comfortable with the way it looks from that side so guess I'll fix it. I didn't actually plan to take this piece this far...thought I'd do one of those rough unfinished pieces I like in the galleries but I guess I got carried away again! Thanks for all the opinions from you all.

I'll have to put my weird Santa ornament on to give u all something new to yak about till I finish this guy!

MKathleen
12-20-2001, 01:52 PM
Di your sculpture is great the progressive images are really helpful to someone like me beginner, beginner, beginner!
How long do you think it will take you to complete your sculpture? Will look forward to seeing it along the way to it's completion.

Best,
Kathy

Yielding
12-22-2001, 09:40 AM
Di - great sculpture and a lot of good posts here too.

When are you going to get it done? I really want to know more about how your fire it. Will you do in the oven?

diane555
12-31-2001, 11:02 AM
Hi Yeilding. Thanks for the commments. As for firing it...wish I could cuz it would make the whole process easier but I am not so sure that is a viable option for me. I would have to cut it open and remove all the wire and foil I used as an armature before it could be fired. I haven't done that before, although I've read about it. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this process:)

When I first started this piece I was wet clay was the only thing I had lots of and I was just playing around. However, I have become rather attached to this guy now so I will have to do something with him if I want to keep it.

Di

max nelson
01-02-2002, 07:38 PM
Di..if I had known this was wet clay I would have questioned your armature earlier. Thought it was plastelene. It could be quite a project to get the armature out, but it could be done if the clay has not 'set' too much. As you know, wet clay can seem soft on the outside if kept wet but develope an overall stiffness and be quite difficult to move. If you do decide I think that I would do it this way:
1. With a wire clay cutter, slice down thru the back to the armature and remove that piece. Set it aside.
2. Cut the arms and legs at the bend all the way around to the armature. Seperate the two parts of each limb as much as possible to enable you to get a 'side' cutter to the armature to snip in to. Wiggle the armature out of the cut piece. Set aside.
3. At hip and at the shoulder expose armature to the junction and snip off. Set aside
4. After all parts are seperated and the armature wiggled out score edges REAL well and with slip join back together.
5. Hollow the torso out..don't try to hollow limbs. Penetrate them to the hollow left by the armature with a wire to allow for gas escape. Touch the holes up with a little wet clay and they won't even show and if the limbs are not more than 1 to 1/12 inches thick should fire ok.

The worst thing that I can imagine, depending on the dryness of the inside parts of the clay, is that the pieced together parts may not bond well. In that case, in the past, I have just fired the seperate pieces and epoxed after firing. This will leave a visible line that you will have to deal with by putting some sort of 'patina' on the work to cover up.

The down side to not doing ANYTHING is that the piece will probably crack anyway when drying. The armature will not give and the clay will shrink as it drys.

Hope this helps some...and..Good Luck
Max:)

MKathleen
01-09-2002, 01:50 PM
Cold Rain

:confused: Di what ever happened to your sculpture piece "Cold Rain"? I feel like I was reading an interesting true adventure story. Then it ended abruptly without knowing what the ending was to be :( . Soooooooo where are you at with this sculpture?
I was interested to learn how you were going to finish it?:angel:
You mentioned possibly a mold if so what type of product will you use to pour into the mold?

Best,
Kathy:D

diane555
01-10-2002, 11:58 AM
Hi :)

Hi Kathy. Sorry I haven't posted anything for a while. I became very ill the first week of December and haven't been on here or in my studio much in the last month.

Thank you Max, for all the info regarding the removal of the armature...I think I would be crazy to try it LOL. Since I didn't plan to have this fired and I have more confidence in my mold making abilities than surgery :D I have decided to try this route first.

However, I did spend a little time in my studio last week so I am posting my new pics below. I didn't like that smooth look I had so I gave him a more rough texture which I think is appropriate to his condition. As for what I am going to pour into the mold...I have picked up many things to try, but I think it will be Ultracal or Hyrdocal first. I would love to try pewter but I would have to order more first and it would have to be hollow to keep the weight down which I am not so confident about trying. I suppose I could always remelt it to use again if I mess it up. Perhaps I'll try to spend a little time on this today and I'll take some pics of the mold process if anyone is interested in seeing the big mess :D

Have a great day!
Di
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2002/coldrainjan2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2002/coldrainjan3.jpg

max nelson
01-10-2002, 06:50 PM
Di..was wondering why you had been so quite lately. Glad you're back up and at it. You didn't drink any of that Skuykle(s?) Punch did ya. Been so long ago since I lived in Phila that forgot how to spell it. This piece is coming along real fine. I like what you did for texture and can't tell for sure from the angles but the legs look like you rearranged a little. Will look for your mold making pics. BTW..you were going to post some mold pics from one of your earlier post. Did you or have I missed them? The pewter process sounds interesting. Never tried it. Always thought it would take too much equipment. Have you done some casting in that? Would be very interested in how to do.
Max

Phyllis Rennie
01-10-2002, 08:48 PM
I'd love to see the mold making process.

This is really lookin' good! Is it done--except for the molding, casting, etc???

diane555
01-12-2002, 09:06 PM
Howdy all

I don't drink anything I can't spell :D Actually I am a tea drinker and I've never heard of it? Did you make that name up Max? I did originally posted some pics of the mold process when I was trying out the Smooth-On rubber mold compound on that small bust I did way back when. But a bust is a pretty uncomplicated process, think I'll have to pay a bit more attention with this guy unless I fill in all the air with clay! LOL We'll see how it goes. It's only clay, anyway.

In regards to pewter...yes I did some years ago, although I began with lead because it was relatively easy to work with and very very cheap at the time. I used the lost wax process so the mold process was sooo easy! Just add wax vents, build plaster over it, heat it up, let it drain out of the plaster. I am wishing this guy was wax!! Because they both have similar & low melting temps the equipment needed is quite minimal. Lead (but who wants to touch lead anyway?) can be heated on a regular stove but I recently purchased a small melting pot online (it holds up to 20 lbs) for under $100 and a few odds & ends for another $25 or $30. Non-lead pewter is running about 7.00 for a 10 oz. ingot. Just to give you an idea. Maybe I'll start a thread and do something in pewter just for fun.

Phyllis: Yep, this guy is finshed except the mold & casting process. After I took these pics I decided to give him a little earth beneath his feet tho.

impetuous
01-13-2002, 06:23 AM
Sorry to hear that you've not been well, hope that your back running on all four cylinders now!:)
This looks great, and I would LOVE to see some pics of the mold/casting process, the whole thing fascinates me.
Looking forward to the next installment!

Yielding
01-17-2002, 07:35 AM
Di - this has been a great thread to read and watch the progress. Like what you have done there, nice pose and interesting setting.

Only one questions - what is up with the right lower leg and foot, I do not see a shoe or anything there?

diane555
01-17-2002, 01:09 PM
Hi Yeilding

Thanks for the positive comments. As far as the right foot goes, what you are seeing from this angle is the bottom of the sole...I have his ankle bent at a rather odd angle I guess. After this pic was done I decided to add some earth under his feet and his pant legs are actually drooping down over the shoes a bit more. Don't think I took a shot before I started putting the rubber over this but I'll check my cam later.

Have a good day,
Di

onefromheaven
04-05-2002, 05:23 PM
oh diane! I love this one, I'm so glad you pointed it out to me and that you are working on it again. You are really capturing a mood here and i love the pose as well......i look forward to the progress on this one......don't know how you could put it down........but then again I do , because sometimes you need fresh eyes. Great going here!!!!:clap: :clap:

just editing to P.S..It reminds me of Kiefer Sutherland

Jeffi
04-05-2002, 06:04 PM
Diane,

This has turned out really well. It's a wonderful pose, and captures the mood perfectly. Keeping the texture rough also adds to the impact. You've done a wonderful job! :clap:

I, like everyone else, would love to see the mold process. Thanks for going through the whole thing from start to finish! Again, great job.

TeAnne
04-05-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by diane555
Just me again with a few new pics. Managed to get a little time in the studio today so I thought I'd post these. Planning to go for a soaking wet, standing in the rain look when I am finsihed. Haven't got it yet. Think I might have to get my husband to stand in the shower with his clothes on so I have a lifelike model... :D

Have a great day!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2001/coldraincc.jpg
I can feel that lonliness. WOW

Leaflin
04-05-2002, 08:37 PM
Diane this has been a pleasure to read :)
The rough texture enhances the overall piece.
Well done!!!!

I hope you show us the mold process.
NO PRESSURE :angel:

diane555
04-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Oooh Maggie

Now YOU are the one who will be tacked to a post for bringing up old threads LOL :D I was planning to resculpt the entire thing...then I thought "why bother...I'll try making a 'clay press mold" so I can make several of these in clay. bronze was mentioned at one point ...but that would be so costly and I think I'd enjoy the look ogf red terracotta. I'll post pics if I can pull it off. heheheh Thanks for the comments.
Di

MKathleen
04-06-2002, 07:44 PM
Hi Di:
Maggie had the right idea bringing your thread back to the fore front. It really is a terrific piece and very very artistic and touching in scope. If anyone can make a press mold for this sculpture it will be you :clap:
Will be watching for updates...
Best,
Kathy:D

diane555
04-07-2002, 08:09 PM
Hi Kathy

You have an awful lot of confidence in me don't you?? :DD I am going to give it a try soon. I have made simple (very simple) press molds before, but nothing this involved. But you know what I like to say "It's only clay...one can always start over again :D "

Di