PDA

View Full Version : Blues - still life

Mikey
01-16-2005, 11:05 AM
About three hours work. I began the painting looking at composition and all the things which affect that. It looks to me as if I've got to adjust the tonal values a bit. It's painted on canvas from the pad, so I'm free to crop as I wish.

Any comments as how best to finish the painting.

Mikey

Mikey
01-16-2005, 01:00 PM
BTW I do promise I'll try my best to make that glass vase symetrical. It doesn't notice on the painting though.

Mikey

Gilberte
01-16-2005, 03:31 PM
There's a bit of a line-up on the threesome ... aren't the two smaller jugs too close to the big round vase ?
Saw a huge horizontal still with nothing but bottles and jugs at the framers last week. Couldn't take my eyes off it although lots of shadows and elipses were off ..... :D

Mikey
01-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi Gilberte. the vase on the right is fairly flat, about one and about inches thick. I should have explained that, because people wouldn't understand the funny lighting else.

Mikey

LisaArt
01-17-2005, 06:04 AM
Mikey, such beautiful blues here.
Is that how your are going to crop it? I see some partial lines. Looks good.
I really admire your versatility in painting. ... :clap:

Mikey
01-17-2005, 06:24 AM
Thanks Lisa, I've just done a scan to put in OCF now.

Mikey

bbbilly1326
01-27-2005, 08:20 PM
About three hours work. I began the painting looking at composition and all the things which affect that. It looks to me as if I've got to adjust the tonal values a bit. It's painted on canvas from the pad, so I'm free to crop as I wish.

Any comments as how best to finish the painting.

Mikey

Have you thought about introducing some fruit strewn in front of the vases. Some orange or tangerine sections would really dress it up.

Those blue/green vases are beautifully done.

dcorc
01-28-2005, 05:07 AM
I think you've caught the glazed surface on the tall vase, and the patterned eggshell surface on the flat one superbly - personally, I'd like to see the small vase and jug taken to a slightly higher degree of finish to bring them forward comparatively. As Gilberte remarked, they do seem a bit "lined up", though interestingly, this works better in the indicated almost-square crop (though I'd move that just a bit to the right, as it's currently a little unbalanced) - personally I'd like to see you scumble in another layer on the background as it's a bit brushy in places, and pulls my eye rather than receding as it ought.

Dave

Mikey
01-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks Billy and Dave. I did paint over the background and try some other changes aqccording to advice given. It may have lost some of the original quality though, although that was obviously my fault entirely.

I'm not sure if this much earlier one was posted on OC or Acrylics.

Mikey