PDA

View Full Version : Stephanie Sersich Class Results - post here!

BeadBraker
01-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Hi all!

Stephanie Sersich was in St. Louis this weekend!! woo hoo!

Me and bunch of WC folks were there, and we made some kick butt bracelets to die for!

I'm posting mine....hopefully others will post theirs too!

Nancy B in IL

p.s. All the lampwork you see is mine.....I made this color to match a star pendant I had bought from Stephanie at B&B show last year.

Beads-Me!
01-16-2005, 12:05 AM
........I AM SO JEALOUS!! ;) Nice job Nancy! How fun that you had a gang of WCer's to play with today... I can't wait to see everyone's bracelets!

kyyardlizard
01-16-2005, 12:49 AM
I saw Nancy making her bracelet....I love her colors....It was great meeting so many WC people....can't wait for tomorrow to see who shows up....I get to help Stephanie tomorrow.....YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!

isle-of-cats
01-16-2005, 03:23 AM
THUD!!!!!!!

:clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2005/29828-abeye-popping.gif :clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2005/29828-abeye-popping.gif :clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2005/29828-abeye-popping.gif :clap:

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shopmama
01-16-2005, 08:55 AM
I'm sooooo jealous!!!! You ladies are having too much fun with Libby!!! Paula, slip a strand of those semi-precious beauties in your pocket, Libby will never notice! :evil:

GardensOnGlass
01-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Stephanie's great isn't she! I've taken two classes with her. She also has a design of a stitched collar that's gorgeous. Mine (for my daughter) is about half done (I'm slow). Have fun today!

wmo
01-16-2005, 09:48 AM
I just LOVE those braclets. I understand the only way you can learn how to do it is take a class, hopefully I can one day.

How long does it take to make one? (I you get so you can make they faster, the first time always takes longer. True?)

kyyardlizard
01-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Suzan.....it takes about 2 hours to complete one......start to finish....the first one takes about 4 hours or longer....but the results are worth it...

You can go to Bead and Button and pay for the instructions from past issues..I think... :confused:

BeadBraker
01-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Ya know, I have had the printed instructions, but I am gonna tell you that you really need Steph to teach you. It was fab. I have been waiting for a year or so for the opportunity.

It was well worth it. #1 She was darling, a very very good and patient teacher. The examples of what to do just really need to be shown in person. I learn lots from printed word but this is just one of those things.

That's just my opinion!

BTW...Paula has the coolest hair!!

Nancy B in IL

wmo
01-16-2005, 11:09 AM
thanks everyone. 2 hours. I might be able to do that (seems I'd rather be torching now than making jewelry) but I'm thinking it would be nice to have "projects" I could take with me places.

I love kate McKinnon's stuff too. And I bought her book to teach myself. I remains basically unopened.

I too learn better when I can "see" it happening.

My problem is I live in BFE and classes are always so far away from me. . .

aussiejules
01-16-2005, 02:41 PM
I agree. Stephanie and Kate do wonderful original work.

But, even if you learn how to make their bracelets, can you then go on and sell them? I'm curious as to the protocol around this, considering everything I've been reading about making other people's beads! Did Stephanie say anything in the class?

Is it OK to take their bracelet design, incorporate your own beads, and then does it become your own work? Where does a generic bracelet design stop and designer bracelet design begin - in other words, which designs are OK to use, and which ones aren't? Because everyone makes single stranded bracelets, and that's OK.

I made a bracelet similar to one in Kate's book the other day and I absolutely love it, but I'm not sure if I can actually sell it? All the beads are different, but I used the techniques that are described in her book.

Maybe this should be a new thread? But I'll pose the question here and see if there's any response.

Cheers....Julie

Paula D
01-16-2005, 02:58 PM
I think these techniques have been around long before they were perfected and published by these teachers. I made macrame bracelets in college ( a million years ago) that are similar to the knotted bracelets. And I think Kate's techniques have been used by seed beaders for a long time. I am no expert on an answer to this question though I do believe that if someone has an original "secret" technique and they want to keep it that way then they should not teach it. :cat: Paula

paskon
01-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi Julie!

That's a good question. I was in Stephanie's bracelet class yesterday morning and I can tell you what she has printed on the instruction sheet she gave us. I thought she worded it very well...she basically asked that we not teach her technique in a class, but it was ok to share the technique with family & friends...also, if you sell or show a piece made with the technique, she asks that we give her credit. And, "You are not to submit a "spiny knotted" piece for publication or consideration when your original work or designs are expected." I think that is very reasonable! She does not say that you cannot sell your pieces made with the technique.

BTW, I had a blast and love my bracelet! I would have loved to be in the lampworking class too, but it was full. I had so much fun though...also bought one of the great macrame boards that Stephanie's Dad makes and got to fondle her beads in person. She also had some of her gorgeous jewelry with her...in particular that "disk" necklace that is on her website. Wow, those disks are big!! And she had a necklace there that is going to be in bead dreams...it is amazing.

Yes, there is an article she wrote about 5 yrs ago that you can buy on the Bead & Button website that explains the technique. It's in the August 2000 issue. I had bought the article recently because I never dreamed I would get to take her class in person. But it makes so much more sense when you see her do it. Plus, I started out doing the macrame knots backwards and Stephanie helped me figure that out. She is a great teacher!

Oh, and I got to meet some great people, including Harriet from Kentucky who I have talked to on WC before...Hi Harriet! :wave:

I'll take pictures of my bracelet later today! Love yours, Nancy! Did you meet Erna Garber? I know she was taking Stephanie's lampworking class too. She is a great lady and was my first teacher here in St. Louis 2 1/2 yrs ago. :)

-Patti

kyyardlizard
01-17-2005, 01:01 AM
Patti....thanks for posting about what is on Stephanie's instructions....I think she is a wonderful teacher also....

As far as it being her technique.....I agree macrame has been around forever...Stephanie's style is all her own...the reason she does teach it and ask no one else not to.. is that this is her way of making a living...I'm sure if any of us had a technique of our own and wanted to share it by teaching it to others...we would be offended if someone that was taught the technique went and started teaching it to others...

Libby L.
01-17-2005, 09:35 AM
The class was so much fun and everybodys bracelet turned out beautiful. Stephanine had a great time.
As far as her technique..this one is based on macrame knotting, but the way she adds beads and the concept of embellishment and adding different elements to your bracelet is all Stephanie.
So as far as this technique being perfected and published by someone else..nope sorry this one is totally Stephanie. She developed this technique as an art project in one of her art classes in college.

The Libster aka Libby

Andie's Glass
01-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Amazing! I too am jealous! Stephanie's work is so colorful and fun!

Andie

kybeadmaker
01-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi everybody,
The class was so much fun!! It was great to meet so many WCer's too!!! Hi Patti!!!!!...she was in the morning class and we just happened to run into each other while buying beads in Libby's wonderful shop ! Here's my bracelet..and a picture of a bead I bought from Stephanie...who was a GREAT teacher :)Hey to all the afternoon class too :)
Harriet

Girlie~O~
01-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Beautiful bracelets, Nancy & Harriet! It was really great getting to meet you both!! Your both a hoot :p

Here's the link to Laura's, Mine & Nichole's (cole) bracelets. (in that order)

http://nicholebyers.com/friendbracelets.jpg (hope it works)

Cole
01-18-2005, 10:59 AM
OK... here is the photo that Ro linked to (Laura's, Roseanne's, and my bracelets).

And also a closer peek at my bracelet.
I posted pictures from class on the News page (http://www.nicholebyers.com/news.htm) of my website, I think about half way down.

Class was a blast... sorry I didn't see this thread before I started the other in the Lobby... sorry Nancy!

Girlie~O~
01-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks Nikky!! No need to apologize, just showin off the pretties :evil:

Thanks again for a fun weekend :p

Cole
01-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks Nikky!! No need to apologize, just showin off the pretties :evil:

Thanks again for a fun weekend :p

Well, Thanks again for the great idea to go to the class!! :clap:

Lynne Smith
01-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Harriet,
What size are the green leaves, the bigger ones, and where do you get them from if you don't mind telling me. I make quite a few bracelets similar to these but with a chain clasp and really like the look of those leaves.
Here is an example of the bracelets that I make.
Lynne S
Sorry about the quality of the photo

BeadBraker
01-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi Lynne!

I can answer that question: the leaves were included in our Stephanie Sersich kit.

Now, we were at Libby's gorgeous store: Sorella Beads. I don't *know* if Libby put the kits together for Stephanie, but I betcha she can tell you where to get some.

They measure 16 long x 12-13 mm or so at widest point. Pretty big really, and very pretty.

Nancy B in IL

kybeadmaker
01-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks for answering the question, Nancy. I think Libby does have those leaves, but I am not positive.
H

Girlie~O~
01-18-2005, 05:31 PM
The kits were put together by Stephanie and/or her assistant (Ivy). But they are czech glass, could probably be found at any "good" beadstore:)

kyyardlizard
01-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Libby and Stephanie get there supplies at the same place...Libby is going to be selling on-line soon so maybe you can get them from her...or go to her web-site now...www.Sorellabeads.com and give Libby a call and maybe she will help you out...

I know she will be ordering soon...we wiped her out this weekend... :evil:

CLabora
01-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Oh I am so glad I found this post!!!

I was lucky enough to take Stephanie's lampwork and spiney knotted bracelet class. All I can say is WOW!!! What an amazing artist and person!
She is such a generous teacher - After teaching us how to make her beautiful disks, and off the mandrel pendants she taught us anything we wanted to learn - even the starfish pendant.

And those bracelets! I just love mine - I will have to post a picture.

For anyone who has the time and $$ she is going to be teaching a jewelry design class in Puerto Vallarta. I think it is around $750.00 ish (not sure the exact amount but around there). It is a very good deal because it includes the class, room and some of the meals. I would love to go.

Anyway, one of the best classes I have ever taken!

THANK YOU STEPHANIE!

BabsW
01-18-2005, 11:11 PM
This was a fun class! Sorry I didn't get to meet many of you but I was so worried that I wasn't going to finish that I didn't look up much. Stephanie did say we were the best behaved group ;-) for the week.

Here is my take on "ownership". Millions of people take all kinds of classes to improve their skills, get better jobs, etc. The idea is to take what you learn and improve it, change it, make it your own. Her finished jewelry is extrodinary because of her imagination and highly creative beads. I don't think anyone is (or many) will be able to copy her work but it is inspiring and certianly challenging.

I agree with the person that pointed out the technique has probably been out there for sometime.

I took a bag of onesies to add to my bracelet.

Libby L.
01-18-2005, 11:21 PM
All your bracelets are beautiful. Can you believe that as long as I have known Stephaine I have never had the chance to sit thur a full class!!! I catch bits and pieces but never the full course..Some day. We have already set the class for next year at the store and one of them is the advanced spiney necklace class!!
Web site soon I promise.
The Libster aka Libby

dread
01-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Been dieing to take her class - she didnt come to beadfest last year and was so counting on it - I hope she comes back this year

You guys really outdid yourselves all your bracelets are great

Lynne Smith
01-19-2005, 03:04 AM
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the info. I would never of thought of trying a leaf that size but they really look good. All your bracelets look fantastic.
Lynne S

BeadBraker
01-20-2005, 12:00 AM
AWWWW!!! Somebody stop me!! oh never mind....I am enjoying myself!

I made another one...these things are so fun to sit and do....I love the whole thing...the knotting, the "assorted" look....NO SILVER in it to polish later!!!

I am having way too much fun!
Nancy B in IL

Libby...sign me up for the necklace class.....and the lampwork bead one if Stephanie gives one of those.....I am gonna spend the week in St. Louis I think!

kyyardlizard
01-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Go Nancy....that is beautiful....aren't they a ball to make...I sit for hours doing them....love your colors... :D

isle-of-cats
01-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Nancy!!!!!! Another Beautiful one, I love it! :clap:

BeadBraker
01-20-2005, 12:50 AM
Thanks Nicole! You should take a Stephanie class! It was too much fun! Hope all your animals are doing well!

Paula! Is my bracelet sexy or WHAT? I am loving this wild look.....I got all the cool dangly amber beads from Libby's shop.

Ya know what I like? I like the NO SILVER thing for sure: no tarnish! BUT I also like that my "just ok" lampwork beads (not "good enough" for some small reason) look fabulous in this type of bracelet.

All of the lampwork shown here were from another bracelet I was tired of, and some beads that were 'not perfect' in some way.

ooo....I bought some purple waxed linen.......I feel some purple passion coming on.......gonna have to make some new beads for it though....

Nancy B
geez...I never hogged a whole thread for so long before.....maybe I am addicted to these.

Beth Myers
01-20-2005, 12:56 AM
AWWWW!!! Somebody stop me!! oh never mind....I am enjoying myself!

I made another one...these things are so fun to sit and do....I love the whole thing...the knotting, the "assorted" look....NO SILVER in it to polish later!!!

I am having way too much fun!
Nancy B in IL

Libby...sign me up for the necklace class.....and the lampwork bead one if Stephanie gives one of those.....I am gonna spend the week in St. Louis I think!

I am BLOWN AWAY!
Beautiful and chic!
Great work.
Beth

kyyardlizard
01-20-2005, 01:17 AM
Girl....it's just tooooooo sexy!!!!! and about that purple...I got some too...I feel some purple passion about to happen.. :evil:

Libby L.
01-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Nancy I will sign you up for that class if you.....give me that bracelet. :evil:
You go girl. Its so beautiful.
Once again it was so much fun meeting all the new WC people and even better... you don't live that far!!!! I think we may have to have a play day sometime this spring.

The Libster aka Libby

Girlie~O~
01-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Nancy your brown spiny is gorgeous!! I think I need to get busy :p

Libby L.
01-20-2005, 12:48 PM
YIPPPPPEEEE I finally got the ONE picture of some of my buddies from WC. Hum who could those kids be????

The Libster aka Libby

AutumnH
01-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Can someone help me? I've checked out classes and it looks like they are all gonna be out of my range-distance wise. So I went looking for the back issue of Bead and Button to buy the written instructions. I've searched and surfed. One site lists the August 2000 issue as having the Spiney Knotted bracelet, but that issue has a One Knot Necklace.

Any fingers pointed in the right direction so I can purchase these instructions would be very much appreciated.

Libby if you have any kits for sale that I can use once I find the directions, can you PM me? (And I'm going to take a picture of the bracelet I made with those GORGEOUS pearls you helped Gary pick out--okay picked out for Gary--for my birthday!!)

Thanks everyone!

boheme'
01-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Can someone help me? I've checked out classes and it looks like they are all gonna be out of my range-distance wise. So I went looking for the back issue of Bead and Button to buy the written instructions. I've searched and surfed. One site lists the August 2000 issue as having the Spiney Knotted bracelet, but that issue has a One Knot Necklace.

Any fingers pointed in the right direction so I can purchase these instructions would be very much appreciated.

Libby if you have any kits for sale that I can use once I find the directions, can you PM me? (And I'm going to take a picture of the bracelet I made with those GORGEOUS pearls you helped Gary pick out--okay picked out for Gary--for my birthday!!)

Thanks everyone!

Hi Rona - I found the same thing. Would love to have the instructions. I'm going out of town for almost 2 wks and would love to try this while sitting in a hotel room in the evenings.

JavaGirlBT
01-24-2005, 09:38 PM
:clap: I'm just back from a two-day Stephanie Sersich lampworking class. It was supposed to be a three-day class but yesterday's snow got in the way. I can't tell you how awesome the class was. It was five-star top notch. She is such a great artist. I love her beads, her jewelry and her generous spirit. If you ever get a chance to take any kind of class with her, jump at it. She totally rocks! :clap: :clap: :clap: