PDA

View Full Version : Project Discussion: Abstracts in Pastels

Pages : [1] 2

MountainSong
01-15-2005, 04:58 PM
A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: Abstracts in Pastels
Project Leader: MountainSong
Relative Difficulty: Irrelevant
Type Restrictions: Any Type
Medium: Pastels
Subject: Abstract
Days open for signups: Always
Maximum participants allowed: Unlimited

Description:

Abstract art, in particular non-representational and non-object based, come from an experiential place in our brain. They tend towards being soul-scapes or mind-scapes. They are emotionally expressive and can emote strongly with no props or objects hinted at. The sections used in our brains to create abstract art and realism are different places. Realism work can be made more expressive and emotive by exploring the abstract side of your self!

How do I make that shift in my brain – how do I paint with no concrete forms or visual objects?

Try putting on a type of music you strongly respond to emotionally – visualize what that music feels and looks like. What does the percussion look like? What color is that melody? What is the rhythm of the time signature and how shall I express it? What color does that verse feel like? – Now paint it!!

Or try remembering a vivid experience form your life – say the birth of a child. Without using props (like a baby, hospital, spouse, ect.) visualize the emotions of that experience – what color is expectation? Does it have a linear form or gaseous form? What color is joy? What texture does joy have? How would deep satisfaction be rendered – is it the base color or a mid layer?

Or my favorite - Stand in front of a blank canvas/paper and ask yourself what color you’re in the mood for today? Red! Yes today I begin with red! Lay the color on – don’t think – just experience the draw of red. Now step back look at the red – what does it want? Yellow? Yes – a bit of yellow right here and here! Let it speak to you. Respond to it. The red is too flat – it needs some Depth – work darker reds into areas to create depth. Step back again…what is the work telling you it needs…is there an area that wants developed more? Are some high points needed? Do I have a focal point and movement within the work? Is it emoting energy?

This style of painting is very intuitive…it develops and takes form before your eyes with no plan. It is spontaneous and springs from your subconscious. It is your soul-scape but it will resonate with others because you have captured a moment in the experience of being a human being.

How do I know when an abstract picture is finished? I will use the words of Jackson Pollack to express it:

In response to the question "How do you know when you're finished?" Pollock replied "How do you know when you're finished making love?"

"Of all the arts, abstract painting is the most difficult. It demands that you know how to draw well, that you have a heightened sensitivity for composition and for colours, and that you be a true poet. This last is essential." -- Wassily Kandinsky.

"If what you want to paint is the emotive mood in all its strength ... then you must not sit and stare at everything and depict it exactly as one sees it. You must paint the way it must be, exactly the way it appeared when you responded emotionally to the motif." Edvard Munch (1863–1944)

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=819)

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

SweetBabyJ
01-15-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm in! I'm in! But I gotta finish my eggs, first, 'cause they go bad fast.... :rolleyes:

"In response to the question "How do you know when you're finished?" Pollock replied "How do you know when you're finished making love?" " ummmm... I didn't know there WAS a finish to making love.... :D

ColorMyWorld
01-15-2005, 05:50 PM
I’ve never done any non-representational abstracts.
You’ve written such a good description that I want to try this! I’m not sure what will happen but I’m in!

Fish<><
01-15-2005, 06:17 PM
I've not ever done an abstract but this counds like a lot of fun and I love a good excuse to break out pastels! :D Count me in!

I'll be completely open to comments and suggestions as well. I am pretty new to WC! and this is the first full-size project (I am addicted to the ATCs:p) I've signed up for.

Looking forward to learning more about abstract!

<")))>< Keith

ColorMyWorld
01-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44129

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/48177/tn_Bluesy-Jazz-A.jpg

Well, I took up the challenge. It was fun to do. But I do not like the end result as much as I do when I paint something representational. Thanks for getting me to try something outside my comfort zone.

prestonsega
01-16-2005, 03:30 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44129

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/48177/tn_Bluesy-Jazz-A.jpg

Ann..boy you are quick on the draw tonight! I am not well versed in abstract painting, so I am at a lose of words almost. Very pleasing compostion.

prestonsega
01-16-2005, 03:33 AM
Mountain Song.......Thanks for leading this project...going to be interesting to see the finished works!!

Kathryn Wilson
01-16-2005, 09:05 AM
I just came back from the Matisse, Picasso and the School of Paris show at my local art museum - so this is fresh in my mind. The art was more representational than pure abstract, but there were some good examples of pure color and form that I could apply to this Project.

I like how you describe going about starting from a blank canvas. Thanks for doing this Project and I look forward to seeing everyone's efforts. :clap:

Ron Biggs
01-16-2005, 02:04 PM
This looked like it could be fun so I had a go :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2005/55259-abstact3.JPG

MountainSong
01-16-2005, 05:37 PM

Aloha and welcome ColorMyWorld!

First let me say I’m shocked at the rapidly in which this went from submission to posting – I was expecting a week. Kudos to the Moderator!

I’m going to critique in two ways:
First the emotional read or gut feel for a piece since this is an major important component in abstract art. It will be the first crit as it is the most important one at this stage.
The second Critique will be directed to the more technical end of abstraction.

The critiquing of pastel usage, technique and application I will leave up to you folks, as I’m confident that you have a much finer grasp of that than I. *L*

Color My World – I’m intrigued that you chose a piece of music which had a Jazz as a major component, as Jazz is often composed of musicians all doing ‘their thing’ in different time signatures and keys, it could be said each is playing a different song. It is the coming together as a whole which makes Jazz cohesive.
Jazz is the Abstract Art equivalent of the Music World.

Emotional Critique: It feels like close friends huddled together, laughing in an intimate setting such as a bar. There is a sense of wholeness, love, and inclusiveness. It emotes warmth and energy.
Imagine this piece with a background which is more present and the design motif incorporates a little into it – the piece also has a feel of excluding, it is a hair bit too self contained - let it share more with the rest of the paper.

Technical Critque: More shadowing and highlights would pop out some dimensionality and increase the depth of the emotional statement. The design repeating and fading out as it recedes towards the edges of the paper might make an excellent background for the picture. The color balance between warms and cools is nicely handled.

A wonderful first! :D You seem to have easily made the shift into abstractionism on this piece. Personally I feel that abstract work carries rich saturated colors the best of the genres...it almost screams for it! You’re exhibiting an early instinct for abstract understanding ColorMyWorld. :D
Unless you really want to make changes, simply look at the piece with what I have said and visualize the changes. Complete the picture in your minds eye and then move on to the next piece. It’s too early in the abstract experience to go back over work and fuss with it. There’s many more pieces inside you still, many more experience to have and share, let it flow through you and out to the paper! I’m excited to see your next posting.

MountainSong
01-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Aloha and Welcome Ron!

First, please do not be embarrassed. Abstractionism is inherently more difficult than it appears. That you tried it reflects a boldness on your part which draws respect. :D

Emotional Critique: I've got a flat read here Ron. I do not feel you in this piece.
Try looking at your box of chalks, contemplate the colors, what do different colors feel like to you, move them around and pair them, do you feel an emotional connection to certain colors and certain pairings or groupings of colors? When you've made some selections begin working...you will now be in the right part of the brain to work intuitively. Stay emotionally connected to the work as much as you can. For now try not to think about where you’re headed with the piece, just lay down color and design and movement - be a kid again - be free - be ALIVE!! Get crazy! Whoo! :D

Technical Critique: The blue you chose works VERY well with that red. Good choice!! The purple interacts nicely with them too. You seem to fairly good sense for design; I feel an architectural element in this. There is a style in abstractionism similar to this.
The yellow is a good highlight match to this piece put its placement obscures the underlying design - which is the strength of the piece, and shoots my eye to the bottom of the paper and off of it. Lean on what you know from realism for composition.
The subtlety of the white chalk fanning off the blue and purple is an enjoyable element and one I think you can play with to much more effect - in fact if you had of put the yellow sun rays in whiffy bits into that wonderful movement you've achieved in the white areas I think you would have really been pleased with this piece. You're onto something here Ron! I'd like to see you formally join this project, I think we can go places together and have a great time getting there!

O'Aieghlans
01-16-2005, 07:00 PM
MountainSong, I know you posted a lot above regarding non-representational abstraction, or what is known as 'abstract expressionism', but are you saying that this is the limit of this abstract project?

Because I am thinking that I might try some representational abstraction pieces unless the project is limited to abstract expressionism. This would be different for me! ;)

MountainSong
01-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44132

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/52259/tn_Ovni.jpg

O'Aieghlans – Aloha and Welcome Aboard!
There are a lot of -ism’s within abstractionism, I’m not limiting in to any particular –ism. Please feel free to explore, PARTICULARLY if it’s into and area you’ve never been! This is where we grow as artist. I suggested Non-representational more because it’s a clean break away from known forms, which could provide a more growing experience for some folks because it incorporates unknown territory and thus the opportunity for learning and expansion.

I can see in your piece that you have been here before. :)

Emotional Critique: This has a sense of elements combining and growing, fusing and separating. There is a sense of a ringed planet emerging or perhaps being consumed, though the color usage doesn’t speak so much about consumption as it does of emergence or birth. The darker blue ring around it contains the expansion – this has a containing effect on the action or a limit to the growth.
This piece emotes strong energy and motion…it vibrates with movement.

Technical Critique: Good use of shading within the color fields – this gives it depth and readability. Color selection is good and supports the action and movement within the piece, and provides the warm/cool ratio we humans like.
Most exciting is the pumped up energy levels and motion in this piece – that can be difficult to obtain. Great job!
It calls for a balance of inaction also – those balances were the eye can rest. The center orange orb provides one such place… a softer more completed/blended background would provide that additional balance for this piece.
My intuitive eye would like to see the omitance of the dark blue/black outline which contains this piece…the energy wants to be freed. Unless you had a very specific statement or emotional reason for it to be there…such as ‘contained chaos’. In which case leave it.

Good work…I’m looking forward to seeing your further explorations. :)

MountainSong
01-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Aloha Everyone!!

It’s exciting to see the people who will be participating in this Project.
While I do not claim to be a good critique nor abstract artist by any means, I do promise to give each and every piece of work you folks submit my most honest and thoughtful impressions. Abstract work can be difficult to call and for that reason those of us over in Ab/Con often shy away from serious critique.
I will be learning how to talk with ya’ll, and in fact how to be a better critiquer as we walk this road together. I accepted this challenge because I truly believe I can learn equally from you and together we will develop a deeper comprehension of this passion we all share called art.

SweetBabyJ – Don’t let those eggs go bad and hurry back! :p
*L* Pollock could be so quotable!

Fish – Break out those pastels put some music on and come dance with us! :D

Preston – Your Welcome. :D I hope you’ll be joining too?! I think you could have a thing going on with de-constructionism…if you wanted to explore it further.

Kyle – Pure color and form!! :clap: Now you’re a lady in the right mind set! I’m looking forward to seeing your experimentations.

:wave: Welcome aboard everyone!– This train is picking up speed and heading down the tracks!!

MountainSong
01-16-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm hoping a few others from Ab/Con will also join us occasionally to help with critiquing...because Abstract Art is so emotional and subjective it is helpful to have others impressions and thoughts on a piece.
While I may not be able to say the thing which resonates with you or I may miss an important observation, perhaps another will catch it or say it in a way which is helpful. :) Please feel free to give each other your thoughts too.

SweetBabyJ
01-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44151

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/9169/tn_abstract.jpg

This stuff is seriously difficult. I'm MUCH more comfortable with at least a semblance of representation going on- something I can carve and form. And I'm not an angular person- lines and corners aren't my thing. I tried with the first one to simply force the flat piece of paper to take on depth with shades of blue and purple, but that didn't work (although I can almost see how to do that now). Second was just strokes I later coloured in, with very flat colour in the negative spaces- looked like a kid's idea of a fountain in coloured lights. This one, though, this one didn't mind anything I did to it, even though I ended up turning it upside down 'cause I liked it better.

prestonsega
01-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Wow..this is a great learning experience......Looking forward to the rest of the Ab/Con artists joining us in here, too.

Thanks

O'Aieghlans
01-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44151

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/9169/tn_abstract.jpg

Awesome and passionate! Were you thinking of Blues when you did this? I'm not sure it makes me feel of Blues, but I definitely get a feeling of passion and sex. ;)

May I ask how large this is? What kind of paper is it on? What kind of pastels did you use?

chandlerjr
01-16-2005, 11:24 PM

SweetBabyJ,
MountainSong invited some of us Ab/Con folks over to critique. Regarding your entry. Very emotive piece of work. You have surrounded the "burning within" with cool colors. You must be a very passionate person about life.

From a technical standpoint, I liked your interplay between warm and cool colors. The fire comes up from the bottom almost like an eruption so maybe more upward turbulence at the base--but not over done. I like this piece. Is this your first Abstract?
Larry C.

SweetBabyJ
01-16-2005, 11:40 PM
lol Dan- I wasn't "thinking" anything- that got me in trouble in the first two tries. Instead, I guess the only way to say it is, this is what I feel when I hear good blues-rock. Yeah- it's sexual- but then, as I said, good blues rock IS sexual- at least to me. Unless they're singing about how their wife left 'em and took their dog and they sure do miss him... in which case, not so much. ;) It's about 8" x 8" on Wallis sanded, a variety of softs- I don't bother much with brand names (especially since I tear the labels off and break 'em into thirds, at least) I just grab the colour I want.

Thanks, Larry- I just have a thing for colour, I guess. I'm sure I can get more in the base (which was, strangely, the top at first) as it's Wallis sanded, and the pastel there isn't a really soft-soft kind, I think. Dunno, though- if we go with the sex theme, I think it should be focused, rather than fragmented there- but then, that'd be my logic.

Ha! I should prolly call it "Why You Should Not Forget Foreplay" hahahaha!!

Fish<><
01-16-2005, 11:51 PM
WOW! There's already some really great stuff in here! :clap:

Here is my first humble attempt at abstract. I could not get it to upload into the portfolio for some reason, but will try again if this works. It was a load of fun! I simply started laying some color on the paper and this is what turned up. When I turned it around, I saw the beauty of a sunrise.

Oil Pastels. 7" x 9".

C&C always welcome. I am here to learn!

<")))>< Keith

chandlerjr
01-17-2005, 12:00 AM
lol Dan- I wasn't "thinking" anything- that got me in trouble in the first two tries. Instead, I guess the only way to say it is, this is what I feel when I hear good blues-rock. Yeah- it's sexual- but then, as I said, good blues rock IS sexual- at least to me......

SweetBabyJ,
If you like Blues, you should listen to Eva Cassidy. I paint to her music all the time. I think my wife would like to break all of the CDs, she has heard them so much--so now I only play them in my art studio in the basement.
Eva Cassidy is unbelievable. Her "Song Bird" CD and "Blues Alley" CD are classics.

I'm not sure how sex got into the discussion of your painting. I see it as passion for life. Yes, this could be sex, but also just a burning desire to explore life in a passionate way.
Larry C.

MountainSong
01-17-2005, 12:09 AM

SweetBabyJ – You brought up and interesting point when you spoke of your experience experimenting with angles and corners. This is a style of work which is most likely grasp by concrete thinkers/linear thinkers.

When we enter the world of abstractionism we depict the motifs in our mindscapes- kind of fundamentally who we are.

Graphologists see in handwriting, among many things, the baseline of a personality. Women often have loopy round handwriting indicative of love, family and social interaction. Men sometimes have more linear or angular handwriting – indicative of building, architecture, working with solid objects, and concrete moral and social guidelines.

Experimental graphologist have found personality traits within their own handwriting that told them of an area they wanted to improve, delete or expand upon and so they concentrated on changing that one element (say the length of the T-bar-associated with personal goal levels and ambitions) in their handwriting and found that in time the actual personality trait associated with the execution of the letter changed!

This becomes applicable to us as artist and as explorers of abstract art to develop our strengths or force new avenues of expression, strengthen weaknesses or more fully develop as artist.

Just throwing this into the mix to help with the mental shift of where abstract art comes from and what it can tell us about ourselves. :p

Emotional Critique: Passion, burning fire within, boundless energy barely contained within its context. Also reads as an epiphany, or soaring spiritual experience. Strong feeling of continuing expansion of the energetic core - sun going super nova. Hot burning sun in Southern Spain and passionate flamenco dancers. Heavy emoting – strong emotional impact. This is good stuff. :D

Technical Critique: This needs cooled down a bit for emotional balance. Deepen the purples around the edge and pump up the depth and texture into the blues and greens. Maybe add a little more blue due to the strong presence of yellow. I really like how the hot wisps into the cool areas – good integration of separate elements and spaces.
Consider breaking color theory rules in future pieces – abstractionism is where you can play with boundary’s and push envelopes. :cool:

prestonsega
01-17-2005, 12:39 AM
Keith,,,,,Not sure if you know how yet, but your final pic can be uploaded to the finished gallary. I don't have the vocabulary to properly speak to your work, but I am very much into it. I see a beautiful landscape, perhaps a picnic by a stream on a sunny day, suggesting peace of mind.....stability as represented by the the verticals breaking the lower plane into thirds, the most stable of all numbers (I often speak of the magic of "3").......Flexible and adaptable as evidenced by the bending of the verticals as the move up the picture plane. Confident feel suggested by the bold colors and hard edged shapes.

Julie.....Wow....this is great..and so different from your normal hard edged formal paintings. You seem to have easily been able to express your jazz facilitated emotions! I have a support mounted and have addressed it 2x without putting anything down.......weird...almost as if I am scared to show my inner self when I could just as easily hide behind a pretty painted picture......

I'll be watching to read what the ab/con artists have to say....this is a real in depth project...I feel a kinship towards each work represented thus far.

MountainSong
01-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44158

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/54332/tn_MorningGlory.JPG

Oh My. This IS fun Fish. :D

Emotional Critique: Fun and lighthearted. Interesting fusing of whimsy and de-constructionism. Organic in nature, analytical in composition. Silly trees in a sunrise/sunset by a lake. Sense of stain glass windows in a cathedral, peaceful and joyful.

Technical Critique: This tends towards an all-over-composition which is a strong but not so easily accomplished format in abstract. I’m particularly smitten with how you broke up the horizon line through the three panels. The layering in the green adds a fun dimensionality to the piece and creates a flow which really keeps the viewer in the piece – this is very easy to look at! :D The graceful ‘arches’ are an appealing element…there’s a sense of this piece continuing into infinity on both sides. The red on the lines is a slight niggle though, might read better with the red line being more of a highlight instead of half the line.
To expand your reach - play with an offset composition.

MountainSong
01-17-2005, 01:36 AM
[QUOTE= I have a support mounted and have addressed it 2x without putting anything down.......weird...almost as if I am scared to show my inner self when I could just as easily hide behind a pretty painted picture......

I'll be watching to read what the ab/con artists have to say....this is a real in depth project...I feel a kinship towards each work represented thus far.[/QUOTE]

Preston - you have voiced a valid and reasonable concern and said it poignantly and from the heart. This is a place abstract artist sometimes have to visit, and even revisit occasionally - it's the nature of the beast and the power and authority of it too. Without emotion, without our soul - abstract art is just color and stuff on a support.
The second piece I ever did I had to go there - it sure caught me by surprise - but there was no moving on till the inner voice spoke. It's one of the only abstract impressionistic pieces I've done. If I was really honest I could say I hid behind pure abstractionism!
Here's it is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=167850
Here's the link to the huge discussion that ensued from the post.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216924

Go there Preston - pick up the chalk and let it lead you, you don't have to post the results - but go there. Don't fear it. Experience the exposure with yourself, when you don't feel as psychologically naked post what you have - it maybe your 8th abstract. It doesn't matter -what matters is the process and what you’re going to learn and experience. :)

idylbrush
01-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44158

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/54332/tn_MorningGlory.JPG

I would really appreciate seeing this piece in a larger format. On my computer it was less than the size of a postage stamp. Is there any way to have this slightly larger.

O'Aieghlans
01-17-2005, 11:38 AM
I don't see that image at all. It comes up as an 'X'.

Fish<><
01-17-2005, 11:45 AM

I would really appreciate seeing this piece in a larger format. On my computer it was less than the size of a postage stamp. Is there any way to have this slightly larger.

HC - Sorry about that. I'm having trouble uploading this image for some reason :confused: but I will try again tonite.

MountainSong - Thanks so much for the comments! :D This was a lot of fun and other people enjoying it as much as I do makes me want to do more! I will play with the idea of offset and see what happens next time.

Preston - Thanks to you also for the comments. I can't wait to keep trying on these. I've never done abstract before and I really like the way this came out.

<")))>< Keith

SweetBabyJ
01-17-2005, 12:13 PM
WOW! There's already some really great stuff in here! :clap:

Here is my first humble attempt at abstract. I could not get it to upload into the portfolio for some reason, but will try again if this works. It was a load of fun! I simply started laying some color on the paper and this is what turned up. When I turned it around, I saw the beauty of a sunrise.

Oil Pastels. 7" x 9".

C&C always welcome. I am here to learn!

<")))>< Keith

This is SO NEAT! I really like this- I'm gobsmacked. The repetitive shapes are great, and the tryptich view so nicely stable. Good work!

MountainSong
01-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Howard - I was able to get at Fish's image through his attachment on post #21. :) Hope it will work for you too.
Thanks for coming into the project. :clap: :D

ColorMyWorld
01-17-2005, 02:12 PM
MountainSong,
This is a wonderful project. I am learning so much from the indepth critiques. For me, even more than an attempt to do an abstract piece this has become more of a lesson in how to understand and apprieciate an abstract piece.
Please keep up the great, informative critiques.

ArtistJensen
01-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Hello let me introduce myself. My name is Aage Jensen, but my friends from the AB/CON forum call me the Viking King. The reason is that I’m from Norway. I have promised to contribute to this thread. I have been painting realistic art for many years. It’s in the last years that I’ve been working my way into abstract and/or contemporary art. I will give you some exercises in the art of making abstract art.

Abstract art, what’s that. There are really many answers to that question. Someone may think of abstract as abstraction in representational art, a painterly loose (impressionistic for example) style. To me pure abstract painting is a two dimensional painting with no recognizable objects, you may call it abstract expressionism or whatever –ism. That’s not important really. There is no illusion of depth and of real life objects in a pure abstract painting. It’s that kind of pure abstract art that may be so hard to achieve. Why is that? The answer is in our brains. It’s the logical left hemisphere of the brain that dominates most of the time in our modern life. We are brought up to think in terms of objects and of living organisms. Trough history art has mainly been portraying the real world in some way. Even if the style is free and “painterly” it’s still portraying the “real”. To force the brain to think in abstract two dimensional patterns may be very hard. To see the work of art as an invention with its own value, it’s not trying to simulate anything from the world around us. It’s a picture of the artists mind or the effect of stimuli to the artist’s brain. It’s this kind of pure abstract painting I will talk about here. By that I’m not saying that other contemporary “abstract” styles are lesser or should not be a part of this project.

How are we able to think and paint in terms of pure abstract? I have been there myself, struggling with my brain to forget about my formal training and all the objects in there. First of all you have to see the paper, board, canvas or whatever ground you paint on as flat. The painting you’re going to make will also be flat, only two dimensions. Forget all you know about real life objects, all about the third dimension. You are not going to paint things, objects or living organisms. You are going to paint the feelings in your mind.

First exercise, paint music:
Find some instrumental music that speaks to you. What style is up to you? Try Jazz, classical, new age, contemporary electronic music, whatever you feel like. Try to use different kind of music. Different music makes different paintings. Ok, are you ready? Sit down (or stand if you wish), close your eyes and listen to the music. See the pictures the music creates in your mind. Try to capture the picture on the paper. Forget all you know about story telling and real life objects. Think in colours and pattern. Let the pastel sticks dance to the music over the paper. It might be a good idea to pick some matching colours to begin with. Use a limited palette, not too many colours. Paint the notes that the music creates in your mind.

Second exercise, paint your mind:
Think of some kind of feeling in your mind. It may be whatever feeling you can think of – anger, sadness, happiness, love, passion. Close your eyes and try to see that feeling your mind. See the colours and patterns that feeling create. Try to create that feeling on your paper. No storytelling. Do not paint the reason to the feeling, what made you feel angry, sad, happy or whatever. Paint the notes, the expressions in your mind that the feeling creates. Use colours and line work as tools for expressing those feelings. What does anger look like? What does love look like. Think only in abstract form and colour. No objects, no human figures, no landscapes. Just paint the two dimensional picture that is in your inner mind. It is NOT supposed to look like anything in the real world around you. If it does you have not painted a true abstract painting of the feelings in your mind. But I see figures, objects, landscapes you may say. My dreams are representational pictures. But that’s not what you shall paint, only the abstract feeling. Does love feel like red, like blue or what? What about anger? Is the lines straight, curvy, sine form and which colours representing the feeling? Its common knowledge that blue notes are sad, but do the blue notes always has to be sad? Ask yourself the questions.

I will be back with more. I hope some of you nice hardworking people wish to try those exercises. Good luck.

Don’t hesitate to give me feedback if anything is unclear. Any comment and critique to these exercises are welcome.

chandlerjr
01-17-2005, 04:56 PM
......You seem to have easily been able to express your jazz facilitated emotions! I have a support mounted and have addressed it 2x without putting anything down.......weird...almost as if I am scared to show my inner self when I could just as easily hide behind a pretty painted picture......

I'll be watching to read what the ab/con artists have to say....this is a real in depth project...I feel a kinship towards each work represented thus far.

Preston,
Man to man, we men often have a hard time expressing emotion. However, I have found that Abstract Painting can facilitate purging myself of emotions about life, work, love, hate--you name it. The key is a willingness to bare your soul in the painting and let the feelings and emotions pour forth in the form of color and construction.

Yes, easier said than done--especially when you know others will be looking at your painting wondering what it means or if it means anything at all. Sometimes, only you and maybe a few close painting friends will know what the painting really means. But, it is fun to see the spin others put on what they see in your painting.

The key is emotional honesty with yourself and a willingness to express it on canvas (or paper in the case of pastels). It is simple---but it is not easy!
Larry C.

Fish<><
01-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Darned computers! :mad:

I think I got all the bugs out of it. :confused: Don't know what happened, but "The Morning's Glory" is now posted in the Portfolio.

Thanks for everyone's patience! See ya'll soon.

<")))>< Keith

lgol27
01-18-2005, 01:45 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44164

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/43451/tn_abstract.jpg

I like it very much. I think it is a person, who is remembering his past, the city he had been living, the things that occured to him. What happened a long time ago, all the good things, the bad things, the routine. All this happened way back, so it is covered with bright, blue colors, because human being tends to remember good things better.

Ruth Grinstead
01-18-2005, 04:26 AM
Thanks MountainSong for leading this project.

I have signed up and had a go and posted the results. So far it has been a totally bewildering experience. I normally expect to have tastes and smells and things whilst painting and a general feeling of well-being, but this was well................something else.

Ruth

O'Aieghlans
01-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44182

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/38452/tn_Abstract1.jpg

Thanks so much for posting this piece and your comments. Abstraction can be so powerful because, in fact, it can speak to and/or illustrate our states of being, our emotions, fears, hopes and joys.

I've often had strong reactions to things I've put down on paper either unconsciously or in 'some other state'. I think that is what makes this type of abstract so interesting and fulfilling.

The wish to make the piece something recognizable like 'Easter Island heads' is understandable. Just don't forget, though, that it is 'just a piece of art' -- and not the emotion itself. It is an expression of those emotions.

There is a whole branch of psychology that analyzes art of this type -- we as people and artists can learn a lot from our creations. :)

And, just as in representative art, with time, practice, control and experience, an expression of this nature could be something that shows positive and fulfilling emotions and images as opposed to something else.

Dreams-of-Flight
01-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44188

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/20724/tn_pastel-abstractweb.jpg

Hi everyone

decided to broaden my artistic horizons and once again try to move away from purely representational art, so this project seemed ideal... particularly as I have been letting my pastels gather dust on a shelf. I think what puts me off about pastel work is the fragility of pastels without fixative, and my inability to find a fixitive I'm happy with. (Have ruined several artworks through various brands of fixative not doing what they are advertised to - in one case working great when tested on scrap & then covering a very timeconsuming drawing in a thick layer resembling shaving foam, sigh!)

Let me know what you think
Lisa

O'Aieghlans
01-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44185

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/46253/tn_Img_0026.jpg

I think this is not only interesting, but successful in a painterly fashion. I think you should be very encouraged!

O'Aieghlans
01-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44192

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/20724/tn_abstract2web.jpg

I like this, as your other one (which I will get to later); however, my feeling is that I wish the colors were communicating with each other a little bit more. Each color seems to be separated by a white line -- it feels like it is being held back from mingling a bit.

Dreams-of-Flight
01-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44194

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/20724/tn_abstract3web.jpg

discovered something interesting painting this. my artwork be it realistic or more loosely so always seems to use curves and organic forms. straight lines and squares or rectangles are almost entirely absent. knowing this, I tried to paint without using any curved lines. started off with just a few intersecting straight lines, but then just got lost in the colors, and when I was finished was amazed to discover that my "straight line project" had become curvy somehow. hmmmm

SweetBabyJ
01-18-2005, 10:36 PM
There's some great work coming along here- I'm impressed! Can't wait to see more, and wish I knew how to speak tot he pieces done knowledgeably, but all I can usually find to say it "Wow! That's neat!"

I'd like to thank MountainSong, too- and all her Ab/Con Helpers. Since we generally work in realism, abstract expressionism is a foreign country and we don't even have a dictionary for the menu, so we generally just point and hope the waiter knows what we want.

I'd like to explore abstraction, too, from an image, but I think that is something else entirely, right? I've some photos with great comps, just lousy forms, if that makes sense.

prestonsega
01-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44185

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/46253/tn_Img_0026.jpg

This work draws me. The rhythmic motion with swirls of color and shape compositionally works within the picture plane.

prestonsega
01-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44164

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/43451/tn_abstract.jpg

This is no doubt the head of an intellectual person. The architectural doorway or window-like images produce an opening to the mind for the in/out flow of ideas and thoughts....organized. disciplined, tidy...

MountainSong
01-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44190

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/progress/55259/tn_wcgo2.JPG

Ron! What a difference! I immediately got an emotional read off this. :cool:

Emotional Critique: It is strong, determined, focused and intense.
I feel a battle of elements here, fire – water, ether – ground. You are bringing your full force into this aren’t you? If it were not for the orientation of this I would see a landscape, but as you’ve made it vertical so the emotional presence out ways the human tendency to look for familiar shapes.

Technical Critique: This is where normally I would want to say something like try soften the edges or try to develop more dimensionality into the piece, but my gut says not to give a technical critique on this one because you’ve just tapped into something important inside yourself and I would like to see it run its course. So instead Ron, I will offer this. I have just seen the metaphorical warrior in you…but I suspect there is a finesse about you too…how would you express the finer elements that compose you? How could they be integrated into this picture? If this is not you but an event or place - what would be added to bring it into balance, what are the subtle movements that happened also?

MountainSong
01-19-2005, 04:03 AM
What Happened? The above critique was for your blue piece DragonLady..I went into it from the project portfolio...not sure how this pic and link got associated with it. :confused:

Will be back tomorrow evening to continue….. :)

oriole
01-19-2005, 06:42 AM
This is such an interesting exciting project! I am learning a lot reading the critiques. I seem to have difficulty finding the words to critique the works myself though. There are alot of intriguing pieces submitted. I found the process of drawing an abstract piece really enjoyable. I was not sure if the finished piece was any good though. It is good to hear others opinions. I have been trying so hard to learn how to draw realistically and use pastels, this was a nice break. I think I will explore this area much more.
Lynne

MountainSong
01-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Lgol27 – Thank you for that beautiful read on DragonLady’s piece – it was lyrical. I remember you from Ab/Con, haven’t seen you around in a long time – it’s good to see your still in WC, I hope you’ll be coming into this project more, your talent for emotional critique would be well utilized in here and I would love to see the work you have doing lately. :D

Ruth Welcome aboard! I’ll be back this evening to look at your work and offer you whatever I can. :D

O’ Aieghlans – I’m really enjoying your participation here; :D you have a good understanding of abstractionism it seems and are articulate in explanation. You are addressing exactly where we are right now in the project and that is the mental shift we must make to move away from analytical and technical realism into intuitive and emotional abstractionism.

Dreams Of Flight – I see you are putting your moniker to good use! Welcome Abroad. I’ll be back this evening with critiques. :D

SweetBabyJ – Thank you. You will quickly develop the language for abstractionism – if there is one *L*, it comes from the deep well of your heart. See yourself wide-eyed as a child, naïve, full of wonder and honesty – see from there – speak from there. :cool:
If you feel you need to work from some photos right now then please do so – there are many ways to approach abstractionism. The important thing right now is that when you do so it feels different than how you approach realism – or this is my current theory. :p

Lynne – Welcome Aboard – I enjoy your sense of enthusiasm. Abstractionism can be a delicious break from our well ordered and demanding lives…it offers us a mental freedom and form of expression which is not unlike a vacation in its rejuvenating powers. I’m looking forward to seeing your work. :D

SweetBabyJ
01-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Ha! Obviously you must mean a "nice" child- well brought-up and polite. Generally as a child, when confronted with something I wasn't too crazy about (like peas), the reaction was very definately honest- just not flattering. Quite a lot of abstract art is like that to me: "What the hell is that?!?" I've learned since it is a very subjective peek into someone's mind, and that may not be the correct reaction, but a small, cynical part of me still occassionally mutters "Sometimes, a mind is a terrible thing...." :p

In those cases, I generally keep my fingers right off the keyboard.

lgol27
01-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44188

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/20724/tn_pastel-abstractweb.jpg

This is an internal fight between logic and feeling. Logic is cool blue, and feeling is yellow-red. As a result of the fight we get witter(purple).

lgol27
01-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44192

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/20724/tn_abstract2web.jpg

We see here more yellow, pink and green tones. I would call it : Romance. Obviously, the feeling has prevailed in the fight (see my previous comment).

lgol27
01-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Lgol27 – Thank you for that beautiful read on DragonLady’s piece – it was lyrical. I remember you from Ab/Con, haven’t seen you around in a long time – it’s good to see your still in WC, I hope you’ll be coming into this project more, your talent for emotional critique would be well utilized in here and I would love to see the work you have doing lately. :D

Thanks, I am doing my best. BTW I have posted to the project several new pieces.

lgol27
01-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44194

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/20724/tn_abstract3web.jpg

I see here an exciting journey. A vacation maybe. Something in the future is waiting for you, something full of pleasant expectations, possibilities, surprises. I really love this whole series.

lgol27
01-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44180

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/54332/tn_MG2.jpg

I don't see a sunrice. I see a sunset. An empty beach. Or riverside. A couple. A beautiful woman. This is a long romantic relationship. After the sunset you are returning to your home to have nice supper with candles and wine....

dragonlady
01-19-2005, 03:54 PM
What Happened? The above critique was for your blue piece DragonLady..I went into it from the project portfolio...not sure how this pic and link got associated with it. :confused:

MorningSong - I realised that since you had addressed it to me, it will probably be very confusing to others reading the threads though.

MorningSong - thanks so much for your words - the only time I have done anything like this was many years ago when I was doing an A level Art and then the teacher said my effort looked like wallpaper ! Now I know no one here would be rude enough to say something like that but I was quite prepared for a similar reaction covered in nice words as to how to improve, so I am completely overwhelmed by the reaction to my work.

Both you and Preston have said much the same thing about me being organized and into detail - well I'm in IT and spend a lot of time programming and you can't do that without being organised, detailed and controlling, so I'm sure that's where the influence comes from. I'm not really like that in the rest of my life, maybe I can tap into that other side of me another time. This is scary, that you (and others) can read me like that from one painting, what more will I expose if I carry on !

About placing it in the centre - I think this happened more because after a certain point I had no idea how to continue with it so I just stopped where I was !

Preston, Leonid, thank you for your words and the reading, I'm amazed that this brings out these thoughts and feelings, you can see i'm not used to this :)

MorningSong, thank you so much for the time and effort you're putting into this, reading your critiques of my work and others is opening my eyes to this art form. I don't know how much I'll pursue it but at least there's now a slightly opened door instead of a firmly closed one.

dragonlady
01-19-2005, 05:28 PM

Since this is all new to me too I don't have the words to say too much about this except I really like this, it is full of movement and, although you've used lots of colours they're not discordant but flow into each other.

Fish<><
01-19-2005, 05:42 PM

I really like this! I don't really feel qualified to comment about it as I am still new to abstract, but I felt compelled to say something because it did move me.

I see and feel a large city. Everywhere you go here there is something fascinating to look at. Chaotic at first glance but very organized after looking again.

Fantastic! :clap:

<")))>< Keith

debbi_carr
01-19-2005, 06:14 PM
i'm in.

debbi_carr
01-19-2005, 06:18 PM
wait no! i didn't realise it has to be pastels!! no...i don't do pastels. jees. well...maybe i'll do one for this project since i already signed up.

Fish<><
01-19-2005, 06:21 PM
wait no! i didn't realise it has to be pastels!! no...i don't do pastels. jees. well...maybe i'll do one for this project since i already signed up.

Oh come on Debbi! I mainly paint in oils, but this really is worth it. I hope you stick in and give it a shot! :wink2:

<")))><

MountainSong
01-20-2005, 12:32 AM

Here's hoping the right comments come up with the right pastel! :p

DragonLady Welcome Aboard! You’ve come out with a very strong opening.
I suspect your read on why you felt there were so many hard lines and angles is correct.
To some extent our brains are hardwired towards comprehension of certain shapes and angle or movements. It is how we see the world on a very fundamental level. You are probably a very organized lady also and have a healthy respect for situations being under control and well in hand.
(Gosh this is Fun! You Folks are really making me look at art and I’m learning so much by doing it!)

A fine gentleman from Israel gave you a beautiful and poetic read on this piece which is an excellent example of how our inner world rendered in a medium can give visions and meanings to others. I could not expound adequately on what he gave you and offer you his words therefore as the Emotional Critique.

Technical Critique: Good dimensionality, excellent line work and placement of the elements with in the color field. Good movement through out and a cool crisp energy.

Imagine taking this composition clear to the edge of the paper. I have a sense that you see abstract as an object which is put down on the center of paper. Integrate it clear to the edges – take it from its formal centered placement and let it take over the entire support. Let it come into its own – uncontained. Let it loose on the paper.
Excellent job DragonLady – this is an very well done piece. I’m looking forward to the next.

prestonsega
01-20-2005, 12:43 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44220

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/9848/tn_Picture1.jpg

Tami....I think it is so interesting how you just went to the canvas and this evolved.......it is so perfect... I know you weren't striving for but it looks like white cap waves with sparkling droplets jumping off the support. Glad you decided to post! Looks like you found a form of painting that suits you well....

prestonsega
01-20-2005, 12:47 AM
The project gallery is turning into a virtual banquet for the eyes!!!! Very impressive, lots of energy represented there....would be too cool to experience these in a brick and morter gallery.

MountainSong
01-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44220

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/9848/tn_Picture1.jpg

Tamiboo – Welcome Aboard! :D
I had never thought of using a palette knife with Op’s. How intriguing. And what a little gem you produced!

Emotional Critique: Midnight leap into full surf under a full moon. Immensely cooling, Crashing waves of passion, feelings of being swept away or overtaken.
The horizon adds mystery and intrigue, an element of the unknown, it is seductive like a sirens call…I want to know what is there but am held back by the turbulence between the horizon and I.

Technical Critique: This almost reads too strongly of crashing surf and therefore falls more into a couple of different genres. The background is supreme – I’d really like to see you play with that more. Your color, emotional impact, movement and energy are all very present and strong. You obviously have a good grasp of composition, take those assets and move into the next piece with a more abstracted approach. When you see a scene developing back off of it – let it hang in that netherworld for the viewer to find, develop other parts. Integrate those other parts into the hinted at scene…but only tantalize us with it.

Next time can you crop your picture or zoom in so that we can come closer to it? I would have loved to immerse fully into this one.

This is a great pastel, you handled the knife very well and I’m excited to see you bite into your next piece. :)

MountainSong
01-20-2005, 01:35 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44182

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/38452/tn_Abstract1.jpg

Ruth – I’ve spent quite a bit of time with this image…it was very uncomfortable to be with – to stay with, to absorb and to read… but I stayed with it and discovered a remarkable thing.

Emotional Critique: Primitive mindscape, petra glyph of emotion, blueprint of energy, organic shift, primal mind, raw power.
My read may be way off Ruth but it seems that you may have actually captured in pastels the experience of shifting from the left hemisphere to the right hemisphere. How you stayed with that mirco second of a synoptic firing is beyond me, how you sustained it long enough to portray it is almost unimaginable. No wonder that you were shaking and in tears – this is profound.
I’ve felt it many times but have never been able to capture it – never dreamed of trying. I envy you your experience, you’ve just gone somewhere and stayed there in a way few of us will ever get to do. You hit the creative core.

Technical Critique: There can be none for this piece.

Ruth, only you will ever know what truly happened in the few moments you did this painting, analyze it - both with your mind and then with your instinct/gut - if you decide in your heart of hearts that my read was what happened or close to it then.....
Do this again, find that place and learn how to use it as a conduit for the creative flow of raw power. You tapped a gold mine – learn how to use the resource wisely.

This project has just become far more intense than I could have imagined.

Ruth Grinstead
01-20-2005, 02:45 AM
This project has just become far more intense than I could have imagined.

You and me both MountainSong.

I joined the project because I was curious about abstract art. When I had viewed abstracts I could never work out how it happened - I saw a series named after planets and I wasn't sure whether it was the planets themselves which had inspired it or the music and how had the artist got from there to what was on the canvas. I felt the only way I would appreciate it more was to try myself.

I think your summing of the emotional was spot on, but I won't verbalise the results but let the next picture continue the story when my digi-cam battery is recharged.

Thank you also to Dan for your earlier comments.

To all the other project participants, I am pleased you are there as I am sure I wouldn't have started this journey without you.

Ruth

MountainSong
01-20-2005, 03:27 AM

Oriole, after that last piece I needed some place calming to come to and get balanced again, I knew blue would be do it.
Funny how we start to see emotions in color…and look to colors for balance to emotions…

Emotional Critique: As artist we are conductors, color, lines, shapes, depth, movement and energy are only some of the instruments we conduct. If each musician, in the symphony we lead, is perfectly in time, on key and in mental synch with the musician next to him - we transport the audience to a world rich in emotional textures and lush in depths of feelings. In blues this feels like the 1812 Overture….

Technical Critique:…..done in reds with a more distant perspective and a continuation of the hypnotic undulating movement it could read as Ravels Bolero.

Beautiful performance Oriole. :)

Ruth Grinstead
01-20-2005, 05:52 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44276

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/38452/tn_rekindling.JPG

Did this journey of discovery really only begin on Tuesday.

The picture and the story finished before the final bluey lines were added top right, but I carried on, oops.

The canvas in my mind has been blank for as long as I can remember, if I closed my eyes the only thing that changed was its starting colour and that varied from an orangey raw sienna if I was in bright light to dark grey black if it was night.

On Tuesday night I got shadowy shapes in greys and black.

This picture followed.

Last night, I couldn't sleep. First I had luminous edges, fleeting, disappearing and reappearing in different hues, and shapes. Then more of the shapes became visible in 3D. Followed by people who morphed into animals and then back to different people.

Wow!!! Perhaps I will get dreams back and be able to fly again.

Ruth

Dreams-of-Flight
01-20-2005, 06:16 AM
Congratulations Ruth! That sounds so positive.

O'Aieghlans
01-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44276

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/38452/tn_rekindling.JPG

I'm so glad to see another abstract from you!

You mention that the blue lines seem to be a mistake; however, I would beg to differ. I don't think they are a mistake and they actually give a three-dimensional quality to your piece. The curving line, getting smaller as it swoops up and to the right, seems to recede -- and the blue, as a receding color, assists this illusion. There's some great movement. It feels a bit like perhaps an active reaching back to something behind what's on the surface of things -- with just a light touch, perhaps back to something blue, which is ready to emerge.

O'Aieghlans
01-20-2005, 08:58 AM

This piece is a bit disturbing for me. First off, I'm not clear on who the 'shapeshifters' are but it sounds like they are a musical group.

For me, a shapeshifter is a fantastic being that can change corporeal form -- and these images support that idea. The three blue circles surrounded by a larger circle remind me of a skull. The red images seem like flames. The feeling I get is one of transformation -- from a negative energy into another form of negative energy. We all have 'negative energy' -- there is nothing 'wrong' with that -- it is an expression.

The feeling of anticipation gives the piece a tension which is dynamic. The title only adds to this feeling -- it would be interesting to know what I would feel about the piece if I did not know the title.

The mingling and merging of colors and forms shows no hesitancy and displays a wonderful kind of permission to let things flow and discover what may come next. The colors in the lower left hand corner bring passion and life in all its aspects to mind. :)

Let me add that I think the piece points to abstracts being very powerful for you.

O'Aieghlans
01-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44181

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/22617/tn_MemoryII.jpg

I would be interested in learning why you have titled this piece 'memory'.

This reminds me of a tree. At its base, it is large and thick, and its arms and branches reach up. Strangely, the tree has a hole in its middle. The whole in the shape is echoed by the circle in the sky. Is it the moon? Perhaps it is something that has been forgotten. Perhaps the figure is reaching up into the sky for its missing piece.

Another circular shape in the central figure gives one pause as it does not really jive with the central image I have in mind, as does the purple line which does not jive three-dimensionally with the base. Are we getting the outline of something we cannot remember the shape of? Or are we in the dark, feeling with our hands to try to determine -- perhaps even remember -- what we have possessed for a long time already?

O'Aieghlans
01-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44229

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/22617/tn_He_and_She_Game_wc.jpg

Sex is a mingling of forms and yet in this piece I feel no mingling going on. There is a stand-off.

In this piece (and others of yours that I have seen) I feel a great freedom of form and color, but not of technique.

What kind of pastels are you using? The pressure on the pastel all seems the same -- there are few areas of intense color. Is this purposeful? This, combined with the always-black background, seems to show a bit of hesitancy of experimentation.

I love the freedom of abstraction that you are doing and I think it could be enhanced by freedom of technique as well! :) Have you tried doing oil pastels on canvas sheets or canvas board? Have you tried using turpentine to blend and melt colors together? I'd be interested to see what would happen if you did!

The upper right hand square and lower left-hand square seem prickly and sharp. I would be interested to see this 'game' at a later stage -- when the competition or interaction got heated up! :wink2:

Ruth Grinstead
01-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44132

I find all of this project harder to comment on than other threads.

So I will just give my feelings.

This picture gives me a real feel of contained energy. The fluid blue seems to want to push outwards, stronger in places and although curved it is held back by straight lines.

Ruth

Ruth Grinstead
01-20-2005, 10:24 AM

Hi Julie

This one brings back memories for me of sultry Caribbean evenings and fire breathing.

Ruth

Mikki Petersen
01-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44229

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/22617/tn_He_and_She_Game_wc.jpg

This is visually pleasing and expresses well the ideas you had in mind.

Mikki Petersen
01-20-2005, 02:32 PM

I'm not about to start psychoanalyzing this...wasn't it fun though? I like the warm browns mixed with those icy blues and the whole image is nicely balanced. I think it works.

Mikki Petersen
01-20-2005, 02:35 PM

I've seen electronic monitors that create images to match the sounds being played and this looks like the kind of image that would come from a smooth jazz piece...swirls of rich sound.

Mikki Petersen
01-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44318

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/20724/tn_abstract4web.jpg

This is a sort of emotional vortex, don't you think?

Mikki Petersen
01-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44180

This definitely works! Makes me think of trees in the early morning. I like this alot!

Mikki Petersen
01-20-2005, 02:40 PM

Looks more like a classical addagio to me, but it is a real eye catcher!

ArtistJensen
01-20-2005, 02:53 PM

I don't know this particular music. But it seems like you have captured the mood, the notes of the music. I have a feeling of light and flow. If I should guess this seems like a new age kind of music. I'm probably very wrong. I think you have done a nice work here. Composition and colorscheme works good. It have a representational design as you say yourself. I have a feeling about that you are not quite ready to make the jump and go crazy with the music. You are struggling with the rigid and planned handling of the pastels. This is very common when you try to free up your style. It's not easy to let go.

I think you should give it another try. Feel the music, break free and capture the notes. Let the pastels dance light and free on the paper. Such exercises like this are of great benefit even if you don't like this kind of works. The purpose of this is to make a shift in your brain from left brain to right brain thinking. To free up your creativity and freedom of expression. Even if you decide to do represntational works in your future you can learn a lot by doing such exercises. It will influence your style. You will be able to learn about composition and color harmonies in a free manner. You may find new harmonies, new styles you didn't know existed.

Pick up your sticks and make a jump into the abstract, free world of music flying trough the air. The free air you have locked up in your brain somewhere.

Good luck!

ArtistJensen
01-20-2005, 03:04 PM

Blues with a hot touch of passion. This is very good. You have a great warm/cold contrast. You should perhaps not think that blues would give you that hot feeling. I've seen blues paintings before that have been blue and sad. Very often blues is concidered that way. But your feelings is another twist to blues and a very valid one. Blues may very well make you feel that way. I can feel what you felt and saw in your mind. Even blue notes can make you feel hot. I know the feeling. Good work.

Try to do another one with another kind of music. I'm looking forward to see the progress. It's going to be very exciting.

This project is very interesting. All participants are showing great enthusiasm and effort.

ArtistJensen
01-20-2005, 03:15 PM

This is a nice first abstract. The composition is a bit rigid though. But it's clean, balanced and uncluttered. All colors are very strong and saturated. It would be a benefit if you had made some colors darker and some lighter. The introduction of some grays and neutrals is a valid tool also in abstract works. You should try to think in contrast between color values, darkness/lightness, clean saturated color/neutral (grayed or earthcolor) color. You can add debth and drama to the work by these means.

chandlerjr
01-20-2005, 11:00 PM

Dragonlady,
I really like this. The composition has depth and the limited use of shades of blue is very interesting. You stated in your write up, "Don't know why all the hard edges etc., maybe it goes with my usual nitpicking style and inability to get loose." The hard edges delineate the different parts of the drawing and help lead the eye around the drawing. Really like this!
Larry C.

SweetBabyJ
01-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44333

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/29946/tn_abstract2.jpg

HA! It's The Comedy Club!! Add a chubby guy in overalls and I can just about hear the "Git 'er Done!" I can see the tables and smoke from cigarettes, and the piano and curtains and spotlights and the applause and laughter, even.

Nifty.

Thought you said you couldn't do this stuff?

prestonsega
01-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44324

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/14550/tn_Faultline.jpg

Is it a lightening bolt or a geographical fault? I see a release of energy in one form or another resulting in a division, in a good way, like a double your money investment but on a spiritual level. When I look at your realism work, there seems to be a circular form to the images (I know cause I am looking at your calendar right now ...lol) and that feel is breaking out in the imagery of this piece.!

prestonsega
01-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44332

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/52259/tn_etincelle2.jpg

Dan...this is so energetic, a whirliing mass in deep space...a celestial larve in mid metamorphasis.

prestonsega
01-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44323

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/14550/tn_TONGUELASHING.jpg

What a play on words as a title for this piece! Mikki, this one is kinda scary..lol...in a painful way. Very implicit!

prestonsega
01-21-2005, 12:41 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44318

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/20724/tn_abstract4web.jpg

Ferns and feathers!!!!!

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 01:33 AM
Debbie! Welcome aboard! I'm really looking forward to seeing you go full abstract! I have an idea what these folks may be in for - Bring it on! :D

Everyone - I'm amazed at the energy and productivity of this project. The portfolio is brimming over! I've got a couple days off now and hope to delve into it fully - Before you folks get to the weekend and fill it up again! :p

There's already some shifting of hemisphere’s happening, and as more of you are able to make the shift I will slow down the level of intensive emotional critiques. I'm mainly doing them this intensely to illustrate in words the very different place that abstract comes from.

As you each become more comfortable the shift and more accustomed to how it feels to go there, and are able to control it at your whim, you will be able to apply the new skill set to your normal style of work with the result of producing more emotional depth and energy to your work.

For now though it is probably best to keep them separate - keep your abstract endeavors and experimentations separate from your normal work.

When you begin to feel the emotional pull in others work please comment on your thoughts and impressions. The ability to connect on this level and express it verbally will speed your own advancement.

Great work everyone and a hardy welcome to the new participants!!! :D

Mikki Petersen
01-21-2005, 02:48 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44323

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/14550/tn_TONGUELASHING.jpg

What a play on words as a title for this piece! Mikki, this one is kinda scary..lol...in a painful way. Very implicit!

This began as an exercise in one of those books for helping artists loosen up. I did a bunch of scribbling and then created a painting from it. Those tongues just kinda crept in there :evil: . That five year old inside me frequently sneaks into my work and causes mischief. Because she amuses me, I often let her go...sometimes though she really gets in my way like when faces begin appearing in my rock formations :rolleyes: ...

Glad you like the Faultline. Living in California, earthquakes are very real and I occasionally have dreams of the earth just splitting open right to its core. Funny thing though...the rolling hills on either side would not be much affected thus the green green hills.

Mikki Petersen
01-21-2005, 03:01 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44333

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/29946/tn_abstract2.jpg

First of all, I like the colors and the happy feel this piece gives. Now I have to confess my goal for this year personally is to get my blood sugar under control so I'm really struggling with cravings for sweets...I see a big flavor swirl ice cream cone giving off sweet vibes :wave:

Ruth Grinstead
01-21-2005, 04:15 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44334

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/38452/tn_Interrupted.jpg

I must admit to feeling somewhat odd here amongst works where so many seem to be very organised and composed; perhaps I mean they look like something.

Does everyone else have to do it in one go or can you leave it and come back?

Ruth

Ruth Grinstead
01-21-2005, 04:27 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44332

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/52259/tn_etincelle2.jpg

This one made me smile. He looks like the shrimp King in a hurry. He is certainly sparking :D

Ruth

dragonlady
01-21-2005, 06:44 AM

I see fireworks against a blue sky. This has a joyful, just let it go where it wants feeling, almost as if the paper can't contain it it's so full of energy.

Kathryn Wilson
01-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Okay, I must confess that I am totally out of my element here and that I am having a hard time switching my brain from reality to abstract. Maybe you can help clear up my misconception of "abstract".

The word abstract defined to me is a simplification of form and color - but this really leaves a broad interpretation. So where are the boundaries; where does one describe something as abstract compared to contemporary?

I did a painting a while ago that I felt was abstract in nature - there was no formal painting in my mind, I just went with the colors and shapes in my mind - but it wound up looking like a landscape. A landscape of my imagination and mind-scape. Is this a true abstract? (I'll attach it below.)

I've been playing in my mind something I want to do - but does this negate this from being an abstract - if you have planned it in your mind before you start?

Help this one very confused person!

O'Aieghlans
01-21-2005, 10:47 AM

I'm frustrated with this photograph because it doesn't show that much. There is a detailed image below.

This was a frustrating piece because it didn't go where I wanted it to go. While it clearly vibrates a lot, the movement is contained. I hesitate to call it a failure because I do like it, however the energy was building but not necessarily released. ;) 'Ovni' is French for 'UFO'. The word 'ovni' also has interesting sound similarities to 'ovum' which means egg. I think I was trying to hatch something ;).

This is a detail of 'Ovni':

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2005/52259-Ovni2.jpg

O'Aieghlans
01-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Kyle, I think your piece could be an abstract, why not? While it still does have a representational base and the form is realistic, it is clearly abstracting the color.

Look at this definition:

Main Entry: ab·stract
Function: adjective
#4 : having only intrinsic form with little or no attempt at pictorial representation or narrative content <abstract painting>

In my mind, abstraction is taking a quality from an image or an emotion and making it the object or focus of the piece (as opposed as to making a reproduction of the image the object of a painting).

Mikki Petersen
01-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44334

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/38452/tn_Interrupted.jpg

Ruth, I don't know what else you wanted to accomplish with this, but keeping it so simplified really draws interest, IMHO. As for doing things in one sitting...I don't do much of anything in one sitting. I'm a dabbler. Once the support is mounted and on the easel, I do a bit of work then do something else and then wander back to do a bit more...I'll probably never achieve anything alla prima :rolleyes:

I like your painting a lot...there is much to contemplate here.

Mikki Petersen
01-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44339

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/52259/tn_Boublay.jpg

Your background appears blue on my monitor but the painting looks quite wonderful. This looks like the flow of a lively jig, quite whimsical. Don't you just love how colors pop forth when applied to a black background?

Mikki Petersen
01-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Kat, I like the like you've posted here...makes me think of someplace very HOT! Isn't there a form called representational abstract? I know Deborah recently did a class on abstracting the landscape.

Fish<><
01-21-2005, 01:25 PM

Ruth,
I really like the feeling from this. I reminds me of Kokopeli (I think that's how that is spelled). It brings feeling of new beginnings and fresh starts.

Thanks for sharing! :clap:

<")))>< Keith

Fish<><
01-21-2005, 01:31 PM

WOW! what an emotional piece! I see the fire on one side but on the other side I see leaves making me think of life. Great work!

<")))>< Keith

debbi_carr
01-21-2005, 01:34 PM
there are some pretty amazing things going on here. i don't even know where to begin. i don't have much time to comment specifically on all of them right now so i'll be back. how exciting!

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Kyle – To be perfectly honest with you I don’t know where to draw the line between abstract and contemporary precisely or between any of the –isms within abstractionism. Particularly with pieces sitting on the border….. :confused:
It seems to me with the approach you described for this piece you approached it from an abstract point of view and place. However for gallery purposes this would fall under the Contemporary category most likely. Though has it been a little looser it might be considered abstract expressionism or representational abstract.
For the purpose of this project I approached it from the point of view of one way to achieve a pure abstract as I wanted to take you folks as far away from realism as we could go for a solid experience in abstractionism and the right brain creation. However much abstract work is planned – or at least planned in elements. There are many, many approaches to it. Please feel free to find a way which works for you and explore from there.

Ruth – because I work in either oils or acrylics and do fairly large pieces so I can almost never paint it in one go. Because of this many moods and separate elements come into the work. The final hour or to is usually spent trying to cohesively balance these elements.
I’ve found if I’m painting to music that if I change styles to another mood it can destroy the piece or sometimes add that missing element that it needed. I’ve had many pieces go off track by a phone call or knock on the door or other disruption.

Ocean Dan – I like your piece and think it was solid for an early piece, a failure it was not! I read it as a birthing as I recall - which is very similar to a hatching. You did good! Set it aside and go on to the next. Continue to develop the expression of your inner language.

artbyjune
01-21-2005, 02:05 PM

Its great how this one worked out. Colours on paper and then turn it around and hey presto a sunrise. Wonderful. :D

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 02:25 PM

Prestonsega, Well look at this! What a delightful piece! :D

Emotional Critique: Light heartedness, whimsical, feelings of a circus or carnival coming to town, child like enjoyment in pure colors and wonder…satisfying emotionally for viewer. Makes me want to run down the street after the Ice-Cream Truck! :p Good depth and movement, upbeat fun energy.

Technical Critique: I really don’t have much of one for you Preston – this piece feels really complete. I enjoy the sense of dimensionality you achieved with the ‘waffle cone’. At most you could pick out a few other places and give them matching dimensionality. Over all though, I would call this finished and a hot start out of the gates!! Good Job!!

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 03:03 PM

1mpete – Oh my, what a fun path you weave to visually follow! :D

Emotional Critique: Emotes well. Whimsical, irony, feeling of things tied together, single elements in a whole, the ends of the tubes feel like pointed wit. Something about it makes me want a Martini – pierced olives maybe?! :p

Technical Critique: Complex simplicity. Excellent color balance, good depth and use of the plane with in the picture, good compositionally. This piece verges heavily on surrealism in use of elements, though the sentiment lies well in abstractionism.

You have an ability to capture the finer nuances of social interaction/discourse (not quite the words I’m wanting, hope you understand anyway) – work more with developing that – it could lead to some interesting places for you. Your work emotes strongly. :)

lgol27
01-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44181

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/22617/tn_MemoryII.jpg

I would be interested in learning why you have titled this piece 'memory'.

First of all I was painting this poem :

AS fast as thou shalt wane, so fast thou grow’st
In one of thine, from that which thou departest;
And that fresh blood which youngly thou bestow’st
Thou mayst call thine when thou from youth convertest.
Herein lives wisdom, beauty, and increase;
Without this, folly, age and cold decay:
If all were minded so, the times should cease
And threescore year would make the world away.
Let those whom Nature hath not made for store,
Harsh, featureless, and rude, barrenly perish:
Look, whom she best endow’d she gave the more;
Which bounteous gift thou shouldst in bounty cherish:
She carv’d thee for her seal, and meant thereby
Thou shouldst print more, not let that copy die.

Second of all, I belive that a person lives as long as somebody remembers him. And first, who remembers you are your children. And besides a tree is a symbol of life as I see it. All these factors have contributed to this picture.

This reminds me of a tree. At its base, it is large and thick, and its arms and branches reach up. Strangely, the tree has a hole in its middle. The whole in the shape is echoed by the circle in the sky. Is it the moon? Perhaps it is something that has been forgotten. Perhaps the figure is reaching up into the sky for its missing piece.

The holes in the "tree" are grieve after someone dies. The circle in the sky is my "trade-mark". It represents the artist.

Kathryn Wilson
01-21-2005, 03:08 PM
For the purpose of this project I approached it from the point of view of one way to achieve a pure abstract as I wanted to take you folks as far away from realism as we could go for a solid experience in abstractionism and the right brain creation.

Gotcha - there are degrees of abstractionism and we are to go as far as we can away from reality. Yikes! A brain teaser - :D

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44325

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/14550/tn_Faultline.jpg

1mpete – You’ve been busy! Good to see you back with another entry. :D

Emotional Critique: Plate tectonics, mental tectonics, fracturing - splitting, re-organization of the old to make way for the new, melding an melting of old elements into new existence, recycling of ideas, philosophy’s, thought processes Internal fire – inner furnace. Emotes strongly of fiery intent, active motion, purposeful implementation, natural consumption in preparation for re-growth.

Technical Critique: Not much can be said here. Again this is a very finished piece, well cumulated into a whole. :clap:
It is another borderline piece, it could easily fall into a couple of different genres and yet it still emotes like abstractionism. To expand your horizon try and create a piece with no obvious representations of elements or settings in it.
This is a strong and easy to read piece which is well executed. Great Job 1mpete! :)

lgol27
01-21-2005, 03:34 PM

Sex is a mingling of forms and yet in this piece I feel no mingling going on. There is a stand-off.

This is not exactly sex, this is a competion of sexes. When you are in a relationship with someone, you are always playing a game, even when you do the serious stuff.

In this piece (and others of yours that I have seen) I feel a great freedom of form and color, but not of technique.

You are right, technique is not my strong side, but I am working on it. I never study to draw (I suppose drawing lessons in school do not count). My technique sucks. Technique?! I don't have one.

What kind of pastels are you using? The pressure on the pastel all seems the same -- there are few areas of intense color. Is this purposeful? This, combined with the always-black background, seems to show a bit of hesitancy of experimentation.

See my next post to the project.

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 03:45 PM

Ruth, I can’t tell you how much I’m enjoying watching your progress through your words and pictures. You seem to really be experiencing the place where pure abstract calls from. :)

Emotional critique” Raising, lifting, freeing, ethereal, slightly spiritual, forward movement, exploration. Sense of moving outward from the deep and sense of moving inward to the deep.

Technical Critique: I’m hesitant to give one here, again, because I do not want you to focus too clearly on the paper but on the inner world and emotional/mental landscape. The blue works in the picture but perhaps not where it’s at – it stops or aborts the movement between the planes and stops that weaving line from going back as far as it wanted to go. Blue was a good color for the plane in which the exploring yellow whiff wanted to go, but the blue burst acted as a stop sign instead of another dimensionality. I think you understand the metaphor I’ve used. Next time go further before you put up the stop sign – explore ever deeper.

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 04:43 PM

Ruth, Again I’m thrilled with where you’re heading. I feel you are intuitively grasping the experience within the right hemisphere.
I’d like to elucidate upon your mention of dreams and flying to you personally, but also to all the project members, as an illustration of one experience which can be had within this line of exploration and one of the many ways to approach the artistic process. This approach is what could be called the path of the intuitist.

Years ago, when I had reached a point with art where in ran in my veins like liquid lava demanding to be expressed before it exploded, I dreamed every composition. I kept a sketch pad on the nightstand and learned how to wake up just enough to do a thumbnail by the light of the clock before drifting back to the dream world. Mostly these were done in an Alpha state and I never fully woke. Sometimes I put a few words beside the sketch to act as sign post to the waking mind of the emotions and intent of the piece. These were the magic years when the work I produced was mind boggling to me – each time I was in awe that that had lain inside me. It was during these years that I had dreams of flying the most – I’ve always believed I was truly liberated back then – soaring in a world of utter creative freedom and mental well-being, an inner utopia of sorts.
When the inevitable (for me) burn out began, the first thing that stopped was the flying dreams followed by the dreams of art. I got by for another year as a professional artist on technique alone but the heart of the art, the energy it emoted was gone. And the desire to create slowly burned out.
Art found me again after a long decade of absence about 6 months ago. Last week I dreamed my first piece again – only a corner of it, a little corner – but I thought it was enough to expand upon and went for it. That whole day excitement and anticipation was my companion at the easel. That evening when my husband came home I told him about the dream fragment – I remember the deep sigh and inner wish with which I told him, “Maybe I’ll fly again soon.”

An expert could come in right now and explain to all of us what this all means and give a scientifically based reason for the mechanics behind this and why it happens, and I’d welcome it and am curious about it. In the end though, I do not need to understand fully understand why the genie lamp works – I just want to get my hands on the genie lamp again. *LOL* :D

This whole topic brings up an interesting question for us all…Where do you create from? What is your mental state when the art just falls off your finger tips? When you hit that magic state and have done the best work of your life – how would you describe that state?
Can you force that state to come, entice it to come, can you mentally shift to it? Or do you just ride the wave for all it’s worth when it graces you with its benevolent appearance?
You can answer the questions privately to yourself or share it with the project. However you are most comfortable.

Ruth – I read this piece as a waking dream – a waking dream of flying. It ended because the alarm went off. That’s Okay. Just go back there again – your feet are firmly planted on the right track. :D

Ruth Grinstead
01-21-2005, 04:47 PM
The blue works in the picture but perhaps not where it’s at – it stops or aborts the movement between the planes and stops that weaving line from going back as far as it wanted to go. Blue was a good color for the plane in which the exploring yellow whiff wanted to go, but the blue burst acted as a stop sign instead of another dimensionality. I think you understand the metaphor I’ve used. Next time go further before you put up the stop sign – explore ever deeper.

Hi MountainSong

Yes a stop sign would make sense, but I am not sure I put it there.

All 3 pieces so far have started with diagonals from top right to bottom left, I noticed because I normally work from top left.

So all the movement of the yellow whiff was right to left, but I wanted to explore the before, even though there was no paper there.

At the moment I think I am only a conduit, perhaps I may get more input as I develop. I am allowed to help choose the pastels before I start, I think :D .

Ruth

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 04:57 PM

Dreams of Flight – Your abstract work seems to live up to your moniker! :D

Emotional Critique: Rising, swirling ether in feel but with strong intent. Energized with movement but controlled in its undulation. Despite the cooling blues and greens this piece is very fiery and intense.

Technical Critique: Good use of the whole paper, immersive foreground. Full palette usage and nice color balance. Sweeping energy. I really enjoy the immediacy of this piece. What I would have suggested you try next you have already in your next piece. (I peeked! :p ) *L*

I’m moving on to your next ones with anticipation. Good work Dreams-of-Flight. :D

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 05:05 PM

Dreams of Flight – Your right, it is similar to the first, but this time you tightened it up a bit and added new emotional elements of happiness and joy and light heartedness. This piece is almost flirty even…it teases us. Most enjoyable. :D

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 05:19 PM

Dreams of Flight –

Emotional Critique: Explosive, swirling power, almost feels like a controlled experiment on the combustion of atoms or something in a lab setting.
Interesting that your short lines did turn into curves! But the linear aspects still remain intact. I feel a vortex in the center of the piece it’s almost calming with all the action happening on the periphery.

Technical Critique: I do not have one. This piece stands alone and is a stepping stone on your path. Well done! The more I look at this one the more I like it – that center core draws me firmly into it.
Good work Dreams-of-Flight. :D

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 05:40 PM

Dreams of Flight –

I couldn’t get much of an impression off this one on an emotional level. However it has a feel of being a nebula, organic in nature, possible life form, energized and moving. The pods in the foreground act both as seed pods for new live of receptors for incoming information. This one is on the edge of being surrealism. I was fascinated by the details writhing in the organic coil and my mind easily followed the design/architecture around taking in the outlying matter – a lot of left brain development in this piece.
I found it very visually appealing but would like to see you pull further from your right brain. :)

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44161

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/52259/tn_calypso.jpg

O’Aieghlans, Yes, I agree, although it helps me sometimes to understand more where the person is coming from, but it can also influence the critique. Actually I look forward to your self critique, having seen you do it once before I stand in awe of your prowess. :D

Emotional Critique: Lines pulling in, spiraling down wards, orb rising, escaping – possibly being pushed upwards from the downward movement of the surrounding lines. This could be seen as the inward journey and the accompanying rise of creativity. Or the side lines reaching and pulling the orb upwards to us. This is another piece from you which is packed with energy, and motion. The word vibrating again comes to mind.

Technical Crit: Confusion of motion – I can’t fully tell what is moving in what direction. The blues somewhat cool down the fire but almost seem a technical reaction rather than an emotional strive for balance. The green is an interesting note- I’d have liked to seen it take more of a roll in this piece but I’m unsure as to the context in which it would have taken shape. I feel that you are exploring primitive motifs and like this direction…I sense a very deep inner exploration coming from you but a disconnect in implementing the depiction. (Although not a complete one because it is coming through on some level to me distinctly).
Exploration is a very valuable tool for you right now….I have a building curiosity and interest in watching you explore this path your on O’Aieghlans, and will be your companion along the way. :cool: :D
I've tried to be very honest and candid with you in my words and hope you recieved them in the spirit in which they were offered. :)

MountainSong
01-21-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm going to take a break now and come back later today and finish up your other pieces O’Aieghlans and then delve into yours Lgol27. :)

Then I think it will all be caught up for a moment! :cool:

Good work everyone and Happy Creating to you over the coming weekend!!

Mikki Petersen
01-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Mountain Song, thank you for your critique of my submissions. Not only were they interesting to read but also educational. I find I'm really enjoying this project, both for my own creativity and for seeing what other artists are experiencing here. Abstract art has so often had a hostile component to it that it can put me off but the pieces here do not have that anger...most seem hopeful. I also once asked the Abstract Forum for the guidelines for abstract painting and was told (loudly) there were none. It is good to ponder the discussions here and I think I'm beginning to understand...a little...

Thanks for doing this project.
Mikki

prestonsega
01-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Ditto on on Mikkis post about the critics..... this is a good educational thread....not a typical project thread... needs to be rated. I did.

Ruth Grinstead
01-22-2005, 04:18 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44356

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/38452/tn_Number4.jpg

I have come across technical difficulties with this one.

In a couple of places the instructions were to give a shape an edge with a luminous glow, in a certain place. I don't know how. Any suggestions? I have tried lights, I have tried orange round the aqua and aqua round the orange, but I can't get the impression of these places generating light.

Ruth

dragonlady
01-22-2005, 05:53 AM
I agree, Preston. Mountain Song (and others) are doing a wonderful job of shedding light on a subject I for one have shied away from saying I didn't understand it. I've rated the thread.

Ruth Grinstead
01-22-2005, 10:06 AM
I agree with Mikki, Preston and Joy, this is a really great thread jam packed with information.

Many thanks, MountainSong (and others) for the critiques, both for my pieces and for others they are very helpful.

Many thanks to Dan for raising pastels and abstracts in the first place.

An added bonus being that I can justify a few extra pastels in colours that did not seem to fit into a landscape/railway context :D

Ruth

Ruth Grinstead
01-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44325

I really like this Mikki, it sits well on the paper and that faultline really generates heat.

Ruth

debbi_carr
01-22-2005, 06:26 PM

I really like this Mikki, it sits well on the paper and that faultline really generates heat.

Ruth

i love this one too...your use of colour is scrumptious. what kind of support did you use? was it heat pressed paper?

debbi_carr
01-22-2005, 06:33 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44360

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/52259/tn_feu4.JPG

i like this one the best of all the ones i have seen you post...i think in this one you are really putting colour to use.

debbi_carr
01-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44232

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/22617/tn_Italy.jpg

this is pretty amazing.

debbi_carr
01-22-2005, 06:38 PM

the horizon is freakishly engaging...it is actually scary. i don't know anything about oil pastels...you can use a palette knife with them??

Mikki Petersen
01-22-2005, 11:56 PM
Debbi and Ruth, thanks for your nice words. The support was Mi tientes smooth side mounted on foam core board using very soft pastels, mostly GAW's

Mikki

lgol27
01-23-2005, 02:14 AM

I see here a funny person. Somenone who always laughs and jokes, never has a bad mood, speaks before he think. The last thing sometimes gets him into trouble, but because he is an easy person, he gets out of troubles pretty easily without much damage for him or for the relationship. But sometimes he is a little bit awkward and hard to handle, because he turns everything into a joke.

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 02:43 AM

Dan,
This is a lovely piece - it just radiates! :)
My limited abilities for deep emotional critique seem to have vanished momentarily – my apologies. Apparently it’s as fickle as the artistic muse. :confused:
However I wanted to address this piece. It strikes me as a deeply joyful and happy piece, almost dancing in shimmering energy. Technically it pretty sound too – good depth – you could push it a little if you wanted but it just dandy as is. Great job Dan! :D

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 02:48 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44339

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/52259/tn_Boublay.jpg

Dan,
You have many different explorations within you :) – it’s good to see you fully exploring the ranges you find with in your mind. This one has a bit of surrealism in it, but maintains a feel of mental archetypes. Were you comfortable with the black?

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 02:53 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44360

Dan,
This is very energized and dimensional. Like it. :) You can definitely build the dimension up in the center; maybe do some light blending on the orbs if you felt inclined. The outside edges feel completed. Some shading on the radiating lines would really make it pop and give added dimensionality. This piece is going places. :D

Ruth Grinstead
01-23-2005, 02:59 AM

I like the yellow/orange against the violet/blue.

The spheres seem to be rising up from the piece in quick succession a bit like spawning corals.

Ruth

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 03:02 AM

Lgol27 :D ,

A few days back when I was doing emotional critiques better, I took a look at this one and got an immediate sense of ancestral roots, cultural heritage, and the tree of life with global roots tying all peoples together. I found it a very metaphorical piece which spoke of many philosophies and ideas with similar roots.

Technically I'm very drawn to that purple branch on the upper right – this is very well done Lgol27 and I’d like to see you play more with this technique – it’s the way it hints or alludes to things and it's very dimensional which combine to become captivating.

I can’t believe the growth you’ve had in six months!! Outstanding!! :clap:

Ruth Grinstead
01-23-2005, 03:13 AM

I like the repeated checkersboard motif, which gives it a game like feel.

I feel as though the game has reached a point of stalemate, I would like to feel one player in the lead and the other manoeuvring to get ahead :evil: .

Ruth

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 03:14 AM

Lgol27,

Back when you used to post in Ab/Con I remember looking and looking at your work, knowing there was something there that I was missing, knowing you were saying something, but that both of us were still in our infancy in speaking and hearing via the visual medium. Your voice is coming through loud and clear now Lgol27!

I see the power in the sexual games too in this piece – sex is power, a commodity which can be given or withdrawn. Both parties can play the game as your work alludes to also. Well done. :D

Technically your images would have more authority if you could use either highlights or shadows to delineate edges instead of out lining them. (I’m thinking on the triangles)

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 03:25 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44232

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/22617/tn_Italy.jpg

Lgol27,

This is a very appealing piece – very inspired! :D It gives me flashes of those places also. I see the broken columns in the Roman Forum, fireworks over St. Marc’s square in Venice and broken terra cotta murals in the Jewish Quarters (I think it was there) in Florence.
Thanks for bring back the memories. :)

Technically what you have down with the short curved lines in the light blue areas in the upper left is a technical advancement and I’m pleased to see it. Keep growing!
On the other side of the technical critique, again the white outlines are uncomfortable for me; perhaps try a slightly darker shade of the color you’re outlining to do the outline with.
Great Job Lgol27! :D

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 03:34 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44233

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/22617/tn_Jazz_Trio.jpg

Lgol27,
Oh my, this is a pleasing piece visually. :) Your sense of perspective is moving forward by leaps and bounds!! The colors are nice counter points to each other, and the designs within the pathways add an interesting textural component. I’m enjoying the integration in this one. Almost has a Jazz feel but not quite. What were you listening too?
You already know what I’d say to work on so I won’t say it again. *L* :wink2:
Wonderful progress Lgol27. :D

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 03:51 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44344

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/22617/tn_Dreamland.jpg

Lgol27,
Again, I’m just floored by your over all progress. Your integration of design is really expanding, along with your fuller use of palette choices. This has a complex architectural design – the most complex one I’ve seen from you to date. And while it is abstracted it still reads as believable. Such a good job Lgol27!! :clap: :cool:

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 04:22 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44356

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/38452/tn_Number4.jpg

Ruth – your almost there with the glowing part. Some blending will assist you, it seems that the effect of glowing is accomplished through contrast from light to dark. The black is already there for you – so that’s good – but darken your other colors up within their fields progressively as they move away from the glowing edge.
SweetBabyJ did a piece with strawberry’s about two weeks ago which was amazing – studying it may be of assistance and perhaps she can drop you a few pointers as well. :)

As you work on this I’d like you to notice that you are working fully in the left brain, analyzing, problem solving and experimenting. It has a very different feel than the intuitive right brained side. Get a feel for when you do shifts from one hemisphere to the other. To make highly developed art in any genre you need to actively engage both hemispheres at various points during a piece. In realism, most time is spent in the left side, while in abstractionism more time is spent in the right. But abstractionism must follow to some extent the cannons and tenants that realism adheres to in order to please the human eye – therefore some of it must always take place in the left hemisphere. :)

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 05:04 AM
I saw today we got a 5 star rating! Whoo – Hoo! :clap: I’ve never been involved in a thread which had any kind of rating so this makes me feel warm all over – and very honored to be a part of the happenings here. Prestonsega, DragonLady – all of you Thank YOU very much! Great Job Everyone! :clap:

1mpete – Thank you for your appreciation – it means a lot to me. I’m pretty under qualified to be leading this project - but ya’ll are stuck with me! Glad you don’t mind it. :)

Your words about the hostile element in abstract really struck a note with me – that was my first exposure to it also, followed by several more! I’ve often wondered about that. It could be when working from the right side of the brain it is easier to tap into the strongest most dominant emotions like anger, angst and inner torment. The Dark Side emotions. In recent years though, I’ve seen some much more subtle works, very eloquent and evocative. Perhaps like any genre, evolutions and growth in Abstractionism takes time.

Tomorrow I hope to post a piece which will illustrate another -ism within abstractionism for you folk’s contemplation of the great diversity to be found in this genre. It’s not hostile – I promise. :wink2:

Back tomorrow with more critiques also. Happy Creating Everyone. :cool:

Mikki Petersen
01-23-2005, 05:14 AM
Igol, maybe the person I was painting fits your description and I think perhaps the child inside may be mischievious like that but the artist is actually a pretty quiet individual who usually gets in trouble by sticking her foot in her mouth trying to help. I would be a better person if I could be more humorous about life I think and I tend to use my art to be freer.

I really like your abstract work...it has a great sense of freedom to it.

Mikki

lgol27
01-23-2005, 05:16 AM
Thank you all for comenting my works. I am getting real critiques here. I am thrilled. I do try to listen to all voices and use the suggestions in next pieces.

And for those who don't post : dont hesitate! Throw your word into the circle. Maximum I will ignore your false accusations. :)

Ruth Grinstead
01-23-2005, 06:35 AM
Hi MountainSong

Yes I am beginning to get a feel for this left hemisphere/right hemisphere, but I can't switch back and forth.

In the right hemisphere I have to go with the flow whilst the flow lasts because if I come out and try to go back, I don't get a continuation of what I was working on but an entirely new picture. It is very early days though so that may well change as I get more accustomed to using the right side and how to get there.

The right side does seem to be giving the left something like post it notes, like find some dark paper, find a way to give me light edges.

Which is great as they are all things that I can take back to my more realistic work later.

So off to search for SBJ's strawberries.

Ruth

lgol27
01-23-2005, 07:09 AM
Igol, maybe the person I was painting fits your description and I think perhaps the child inside may be mischievious like that but the artist is actually a pretty quiet individual who usually gets in trouble by sticking her foot in her mouth trying to help. I would be a better person if I could be more humorous about life I think and I tend to use my art to be freer.
Mikki

I really have no idea what you have tried to paint. This is what I see. This is the beauty of abstract works. Everyone sees something different, so when you paint, you are not making one painting, you are produsing a multitude of them. You are scatching a main course, and everyone is drifting alone as he pleases. Sometimes people give me descriptions of my work that are better than what I was trying to say in the painting. Abstract is the freedom to improvise and to translate.

Grant
01-23-2005, 07:15 AM

This reminds me of some Qi Gong painting that a group worked upon whilst visiting http://www.thehobb.tv . The 'flow' of a scribble when meditating is very different but you still capture a facet of 'within' that the conscious mind tends to over-rule.

One thing that you have done which is fun and extra, is to tackle the scribble and develop it with the controls of artistic experience and have thus produced a piece of cheer style that would shine at home on the walls of thehobb as if it had been painted here.

....... a very "connected" feeling and full of fun too. Thank you for doing this work and uploading it to WETCANVAS as it has created up to 7 smiles here in Wales today.

All best wishes to you for a fine 2005

Grant of the HoBB :clap:

Ruth Grinstead
01-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi Grant

Is it something about the way you set yourself up when you joined that means I can't view this page on my monitor anymore without having to scroll left to right and back and not just up or down.

It might just be your location, which is very long. Not sure what it is but it seems to follow your posts around the forums :D

I wouldn't normally mention it, but this is my favourite thread at the moment and I want to be able to come back.

Ruth

Mikki Petersen
01-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Grant of the Hobb:
Thank you for your kind words and for a fascinating web site, which, having browsed it completely, I still do not know what it is about! Is the HOBB a place in your mind, in reality or on TV in Britain? I live on three wooded acres in the Sierras of California and love some of your garden ideas.

Mikki

debbi_carr
01-23-2005, 05:43 PM
mountainsong where's yours?? :D

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44376

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/54332/tn_Focus.JPG

This started originally from a doodle on an ATC. I just enjoyed laying down the shapes and colors.

Fish – That was a mighty accommodating Air Traffic Controller!
Did you do it at the Aberdeen Test Center, near a Adiabatic Toroidal Compressor or perhaps on the steps of the American Turkish Consul? :p :cat:
All Things Considered it’s a very nice piece!! *LOL* :D

Emotional Critique: Free energy upwelling and radiating outwards. It feels developed in the right hemisphere in structure.

Technical Critique: Good dimensionality, though it has an expected feel to it, nice color combinations. Your blending is particularly pleasing in the yellow/orange fields, but the outlining of the blue and purple fields leaves this feeling under developed.

Stretch yourself further Fish! :)

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44362

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/24428/tn_newpastellowres.jpg

Why Miss Debbie Carr!!! Look it this!! A Fully developed Abstract! :D

Emotional Critique: This is pure Caribbean Island motif. Both metaphorically and mentally metaphysically.
Tropical sunsets, heat waves of the mid day sun, island Petra glyphs, mango’s and limes, docks and fish. Black wavy lines are the complex integrated lives of close community’s, snarls and spats, history’s shared and not forgotten, new fault lines and new marriages, alliances shifting and moving but always continuity of community. Well Done!

Technical Critique: Mount it in a Plexiglas shadow box on risers. :D

Excellent Debbi. Excellent.

MountainSong
01-23-2005, 11:47 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44370

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/24428/tn_newpastel2.jpg

Miss Debbie - would you kindly load/crop closer this piece bigger. It has deeply wet my appetite but I can not be fulfilled until I've more meat to sink my teeth into. :D :p

MountainSong
01-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44379

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/14550/tn_Falling.JPG

1mpete – doing a piece fast can often be a way to maintain the right hemisphere connection. We tend to influenced by the events and conversations around use and they often work into our top surface mental motifs.

Emotional Critique: Some sense of fear of falling but the supporting symbology also reads as letting go. Confusing read.

Technical Critique: Good composition, color usage, balance and depth of field. However not a challenging piece for you. This one feels like you weren’t in it with your best. Given the time though that is probably to be expected.

I’d really like to see you push yourself 1mpete – I sense good stuff inside you and would like to see you to break through to it. :)

MountainSong
01-24-2005, 12:39 AM
Klye summed up the Pastels in Abstract Project when she succinctly said: ‘We are to go as far as we can away from reality.’
And indeed that is the heart of this project – leave Terra Firma – explore unknown territory. Grow. Experience. Grow.

As 1mpete noted she has been turned off from abstractionism in the past due to the feelings of hostility it radiated.

A piece I submitted a few days ago in Ab/Con brought for the words Paradigm Shift, which made me feel one was in fact called for. This illustrates how simple things like words can spark new forces within us and drive exploration into new areas.

In conjunction with our on going discussion on abstractionism and –isms within the genre and the accumulation of these words above and my own need for further exploration away from know territories; I painted this piece which I submit to you all as an example of pushing the boundary’s as an artist (I usually work in primary, emotional dripping colors, and busy compositions, which are over balanced), and the subtleties which can lie in abstractionism and another –isms.

This one would possibly fall into minimalism. I chose this type of feel and technique because I felt it was very doable with pastels. :)
This however is an acrylic, as I have no Pastels. :o

I hope it sparks further exploration for all of you and for me. May we all have a paradigm shift!!:D :cool:

Paradigm Shift
16" by 20"
Acrylic on Canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2005/48549-Paradigm_Shift_-_re-sized.jpg

Mikki Petersen
01-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Mountain Song, that is a beautiful painting. I see an eagle eye view of viking ships at sail through a partially cloudy sky...too kewl. Those soft colors give me the feeling of a dream vision.

What do you mean you have not pastels!!!!! :confused: :eek: :( You would love them. They are so spontaneous! You have all these luscious colors just beckoning to you and you can let your mind soar free without having to worry about color mixing and mediums and all that stuff. Try it, you'll like it!

debbi_carr
01-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Miss Debbie - would you kindly load/crop closer this piece bigger. It has deeply wet my appetite but I can not be fulfilled until I've more meat to sink my teeth into. :D :p

i'm going to try and replace it with a larger one now ok.

Ruth Grinstead
01-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Hi MountainSong

Your picture is giving me a lovely peaceful feel, reminds me of flying again.

I get the impression of an armada of boats too, but it feels benign not as though it is full of marauding Vikings. That could be a geographical thing though the UK was within easy reach.

As for lack of pastels, if you were down the road I would bring you some of mine :D .

Ruth

Ruth Grinstead
01-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44408

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/38452/tn_Number_5.jpg

This gets more fun by the day and I don't have a clue what the last 3 are or where they came from :D .

debbi_carr
01-24-2005, 05:41 PM
I hope it sparks further exploration for all of you and for me. May we all have a paradigm shift!!:D :cool:

Paradigm Shift
16" by 20"
Acrylic on Canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2005/48549-Paradigm_Shift_-_re-sized.jpg

yep, it sure has sparked some interest in me...i am with you (as you know already) with using very saturated colours all the time...i think that it would do me well to explore other ways of using colour...a way that would make my colours seem even more emotional and more powerful by contrasting them with other not-so-saturated colours.

debbi_carr
01-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44410

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/24428/tn_newpastelWatercolour3.jpg

i did a nadder one guys! next will have different palettes perhaps...but i am going to keep them in this format and as mountain song said frame them in a shadow box curled and crumpled just like they are! :clap:

p.s. i cheated in this one...isn't so abstract.

MountainSong
01-25-2005, 12:32 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44196

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/55259/tn_wcgo3.JPG

Hello Ron - Look at this! :D Not sure how I missed it before!

Emotional Critique: Uplifting, sense of letting go and being set free, colors in a solid masculine balance, design speaks of good memories and happy times, feeling of events softened by time. Gentle but firm energy and balanced motion.

Technical Critique: The secondary brown patch gives balance to the overall design and also a sense of grounding for the lift off of the primary element. I’d like to draw your eye to the background – see on the right those two lighter areas almost like vapors? That’s the honey pot of this picture, it may have been an accident but it’s really wonderful anyway. See if you can head more in that direction Ron, it shows a sensitivity which would be great for you to develop and explore more.

Over all this is well done Ron. :D Keep exploring – keep growing – you’re doing great!

MountainSong
01-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44409

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/24428/tn_newpastel2.jpg

Miss Debbi – Now isn’t this just eye candy for the sunset soul?!!

Emotional Critique: This speaks so strongly a fiery sunset with lifeguard towers on the beach and friends sitting in little circles together, and fishermen casting lines from the pier for night fishing, and the smell of ocean water, and the sounds of crickets that I just can’t read anything else. I’m just waiting for the green flash and turtles to come up and lay eggs! :p

Technical Critique: The integration of the torn edges adds an additional strong element to a great composition with great balance of design and color. My eye moves well around this picture looking for some element to be improved but it’s coming up with a blank. That diagonal slash is well placed and how it is blended in comparison to the other elements really makes it an intriguing element. In addition the tapering off and darkening at the ends keeps our eyes from leaving the paper.

Sign and Shadow box it – it’s a keeper! :D

MountainSong
01-25-2005, 01:12 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44410

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/24428/tn_newpastelWatercolour3.jpg

Miss Debbi – Not pure abstract but it falls into one of the many –isms easily.

Emotional Critique: This piece speaks more of cultural motifs. Tribal colorings, Home and hearth, invitations to house as an invitation to join one’s clan/or tribe. Melding of missionary symbols with ancient ancestor glyphs, cultural fusing. Very interesting work Debbi. Feels almost as much African in origin as Caribbean, which makes sense really given the history. This strongly emotes.

Technical Critique: Oh Boy. You’re making this tough Gal. :)
Your work is pretty developed within your current theme, there’s some fine tuning you could do in terms of refining depth and overall presentation. But this isn’t really the place for it. This project is to go where you have not gone before – to get uncomfortable and thus break into new levels of artistic comprehension that you can then take back to your regular work. What you’ve done here was just not challenging enough for you. :evil:

So we’re gonna make it tougher! Your gonna go with me now and we’re gonna leave terra firma. :D
No more rich saturated primary colors, no more island motifs and strong delineations in line. No more strong passionate life soaked emoting. We’re gonna work on the subtleties of the living experience, the gentle nuances, the soft tugging of tranquility, the more refined civilized inner mindscape. And we’re going to go minimalist Debbi!!! Are you ready?! :wink2:
Let’s do this! :clap:

MountainSong
01-25-2005, 01:48 AM
1mpete – I had NuePastels a long time ago. But some one broke in one time and took every thing that was in wooden or metal cases, or that had over the shoulder straps on it. Real quick – in and out in under a minute. I lost all my art supplies and early works. The early works hurt the most. Everything else was replaceable. I never did getting around to replacing the Pastel Dept. stuff. It was too disheartening I suppose. :crying: I sure did love them.

Ruth – Aren’t you a SweetHeart! It sure would be fun to have a fellow artist just down the street! :D :wave:

Grant – I went to your website too, but in this world of hurried time and ticking clocks it was just too difficult to figure out how to navigate it in the allotted time. That’s one of the fallacies of web design – if it’s not point and click and very intuitive - lots of people just move on. I got the feeling we were supposed to type some things into the address bar but time was short and people don’t want to work too hard if their not getting paid by the hour, you know??
I’m not trying to be sarcastic or anything – I’m just being honest – you’ve put a whole lot of work in that site to be loosing people due to it being hard to navigate.

Pretend that you’re in Cote d’ lvoire and you don’t speak a word of English and you go to the local Community Center for internet access. Websites need to be eye candy, self explanatory, have very little text, and buttons which are explainable in any language on earth – like forward and back, and they need to load Fast because your on dial up.

I enjoyed your input here and would like to see you in the project more. You are very welcome here and I really would have liked to see that art that your site indicated that it had. :D

MountainSong
01-25-2005, 03:38 AM
Forward and back arrows.

Ruth Grinstead
01-25-2005, 03:46 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44189

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/progress/55259/tn_wcgo1.JPG

Hi Ron

I would have commented on this sooner, but I have only just found where it was lurking

I really like this, it seems to transport me to the Nile valley of ancient Eygpt.

I see pyramids being built, I feel a warm breeze on my face, sand beneath my feet and the influence of the gods including Ra the sun god all around me.

Ruth

Ron Biggs
01-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44196

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/55259/tn_wcgo3.JPG

I’d like to draw your eye to the background – see on the right those two lighter areas almost like vapors? That’s the honey pot of this picture, it may have been an accident but it’s really wonderful anyway.

Hi,
MountainSong, no it wasn’t an accident, it was part of the original pattern I drew but as I was filling the areas, that just looked ok so I left it.

Ruth, thank you for your comments.

As a newbie to both WC and painting I’d just like to say thank you to MountainSong for starting this project.
I’m having a great time just lurking and learning :D
Ron.

debbi_carr
01-25-2005, 02:42 PM
i did another one...i tried...oh i tried oh so hard to listen to you encouragement to do the undone for me mountainsong...but i wasn't so successful...i will post when i get home this evening. okie doke...gone back to the gallery if finished works to see what else is there.

prestonsega
01-25-2005, 08:48 PM

MY first imstinct was this represented exclusion, maybe even excommunication,,,the brown form seems to have been removed from the "in " group with no where to go and no one to go with,,,I think I am responding to this based on my childhood....I never really fit in with a click.

Talimah
01-25-2005, 10:01 PM

I think this piece is absolutely beautiful. I love how the "waves" spiral out. It has great depth and speed.

debbi_carr
01-25-2005, 11:32 PM

I think this piece is absolutely beautiful. I love how the "waves" spiral out. It has great depth and speed.

and very skillfully executed too i might add.

debbi_carr
01-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44441

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/48307/tn_abstract2.jpg

this one is so very exciting to me...

O'Aieghlans
01-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44442

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/24428/tn_tried.jpg

I think your pieces are wonderful. But I feel in the dark! How big is this? I would guess 5x7. What kind of paper is it? I keep wondering if the color is really that rich, or if it is my monitor and/or your digital file. But it's beautiful and a bit mysterious! What is the actual color of the paper?

The color is great. Less movement in this one, but I really see no problem with that. ;) Thanks!

O'Aieghlans
01-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44362

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/24428/tn_newpastellowres.jpg

I love a lot of things about your pieces. I like the torn paper, I like the ink over the pastel. Your forms are intriguing. I'm wondering what color paper is that, and what kind. Did you say?

O'Aieghlans
01-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44409

These are very intruiging, but I'd like to know what they are about for you. Like I said before, I love the dark line over the pastel. Of course, it's got to be the right kind of line. You've got a good sense of what kind of line is required. It has a dynamic quality which is not easily dismissed ;)! At the same time, though, one feels that it could go further.

O'Aieghlans
01-26-2005, 01:33 PM

This piece just feels really cool. It seems more like a piece of surrealism than a strict abstract, but that's no problem! Was this just an experiment or is this a trend for you?

O'Aieghlans
01-26-2005, 01:35 PM

This feels like the deepest piece I've seen from you so far. In it I feel you reaching, allowing, moving towards something without a known form -- an emotion only hinted at -- that could come forward with a bit of courage? Let me just add that the emotion is coming forward -- but not so far, as yet, to know what it is all about. ;)

O'Aieghlans
01-26-2005, 01:37 PM

This piece feels fun and like an exploration of known forms. It is a bit of a pull-back from the previous one, perhaps a bit of a refuge, but it is fun and free nonetheless. And there is an allowing to reach back to something unknown through the central spiral which is reaching back from known forms into, perhaps, the unknown. There is something comforting about the leaves, about the vines, the feathers. And yet, at its heart, there is a burgeoning passion which might, perhaps, need to be contained?

O'Aieghlans
01-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44344

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/22617/tn_Dreamland.jpg

I love the slicing shapes -- almost as if you want to cut down what went before. You have a great freedom of form as I said previously -- but I'm not sure where your true interest lies. I don't feel a blending of form and color. There is movement and a kind of 'allowing' which is coming from, perhaps, the use of white support in this instance. However, the medium and the forms are not totally 'gelling' or consolidating into a vibrant whole. You might want to try sticking with one form and experimenting with the color alone. It seems like the forms are wafting you away into something transcendant. Do you do sculpture? I get a sculptural sense from what you are doing. ;)

O'Aieghlans
01-26-2005, 01:44 PM

I feel the freedom of form; this reminds me of abstracts from the 1930s, art nouveau, and jazz, and all that. Your color may not be consistently moving towards a 'whole'. I feel a conflict between the blue you have chosen and the pink.

The piece puts a premium of form over color and movement. The piece also has a jaunty quality which I think is really cool. ;) Let us see a few more, because I think you may have somewhere to go!

O'Aieghlans
01-26-2005, 01:47 PM

You are going places, there's no question about that. However, I'm not sure if you are actually arriving at the station!

I would encourage you to -- the next time you are in the place to do an abstract -- to pick up one you already started.

Some things move in stages; just like going up in the elevator. You've got to make stops along the way. But if you get off the elevator, you'll never get to your floor! ;) Thankfully you can always get back on and head back to your destination.

I would encourage you to pick up one of these that seems interrupted. It won't 'feel' the same as when you first started it; however, I think there are things to discover in the attempt. :wink2:

O'Aieghlans
01-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44434

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/51019/tn_My_Artwork_015.jpg_resized.jpg

Thanks for posting something! It sounds like you are working in oil pastel.

If it flakes off or leaves bit behind, they can be picked up with a knife.

Also, colors can be blended with a bit of turpentine. However, looking at your piece it seems like you are blending the color. As with everything, 'practice makes perfect'! ;) Let us know how it goes!

O'Aieghlans
01-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44441

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/48307/tn_abstract2.jpg

I like this, what I would call a 'representative abstraction'. What are the blue 'bubbles'? I bet you would enjoy doing more of these! :wink2:

Ruth Grinstead
01-26-2005, 02:41 PM

You are going places, there's no question about that. However, I'm not sure if you are actually arriving at the station!

Thanks Dan for your comments. Yes I will revist one of them or start a piece and try to take it further.

Just be careful mentioning stations near me otherwise you will send me off on a different track altogether :wink2: :D

Ruth

debbi_carr
01-26-2005, 08:56 PM

I love a lot of things about your pieces. I like the torn paper, I like the ink over the pastel. Your forms are intriguing. I'm wondering what color paper is that, and what kind. Did you say?

O'Aieghlans...they're all about maybe 8 inches x 5 inches on 140 lb white paper...the paintings are pretty much exactly the same on my monitor as they are in real life...i get really anal retentive about that (often taking 4 or 5 pics and choosing the one that looks most natural...then adjusting the contrast in photoshop till it looks like the actual painting).

The paintings are just about exploration and letting the painting/drawing evolve as thoughts come and go...as abstract and fluid as i can be at that moment...i think that is when i can connect best to what markings i like and which ones don't sit well with me. things get put down, then covered up then other thing partially occlude...if i am lucky, at some point i feel finished. dat's all.

for some of them...the ones i call paintings, i used water with the pastels...there was one where i used watercolours too...and there was one where i only used pastels...that is the one without the black ink. okay i am done chatting...i got carried away.

what are yours about?

debbi_carr
01-26-2005, 08:59 PM
I keep wondering if the color is really that rich, or if it is my monitor and/or your digital file. But it's beautiful and a bit mysterious! What is the actual color of the paper?

p.s. if you use water with your pastels (dip the tip of the pastel in water before using it it makes bright bold marks).

thanks for commenting too.

debbi_carr
01-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44446

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/45982/tn_DSCN0413.JPG

glorious! don't wait to prepare! just do!

debbi_carr
01-26-2005, 09:05 PM

i'm quite taken with this. i see a flood light coming from a ship sailing at night. looking for survivors may be. hope.

Mikki Petersen
01-26-2005, 10:30 PM

This is fascinating...I keep looking at it and looking at it.

Mikki

Mikki Petersen
01-26-2005, 10:34 PM

Dan, it was an experiment and I was having fun with it. I look at abstract art and some of it really grabs me and some just turns me off. I'm always fascinated by it though because it is like looking inside artist's minds, sort of. I wanted to se what was in mine...'bout what I expected I guess...well balanced chaos :p . Thanks for commenting.

debbi_carr
01-26-2005, 11:01 PM

This is fascinating...I keep looking at it and looking at it.

Mikki

thanks mikki. :)

Ruth Grinstead
01-27-2005, 04:38 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44459

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/progress/38452/tn_Number6.jpg

I have posted this as a progress image so then I have no excuse not to go back. I thought it was becoming a parrot at one stage, but I think it is a landscape now, but not local as it is very flat here.

It has lost it edges as I scanned it for speed.

Ruth

Talimah
01-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Dan thanks so much for the comments. As I said it was my first and I intend to get me a better set of pastels and try some more stuff. :D

Julie

Talimah
01-27-2005, 02:57 PM
I don't know why but this piece reminds me of an Altarpiece called "The Garden of Earthly Delights" done by Bosch in the early fifteen hundreds. The right inner panel has kind of the same movement.

http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44323

I really like it!

Julie

MountainSong
01-28-2005, 01:03 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44446

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/45982/tn_DSCN0413.JPG

BeckyMc- Oh My! Isn’t this lovely!

Emotional Critique: Icy January morning looking through iced windows to the thawing world beyond. Looking at the headland through a veil of water. Peaceful yet turbulent.

Technical Critique: You handle the pastels very well and integrate colors in a lovely way. Nice full coverage of the paper and well balanced composition with good dimensionality.
As I suspect you already know the eyes are discordant to the piece. While a touch of warmth is called for and that placement would work, the eyes themselves throw a strange disturbing slant on the picture. I did the emotional crit by leaving out the eyes.

This is very well done Becky and I feel you have a strong start into the world of abstracts and look forward to seeing more works by you. Welcome abourd. :)

MountainSong
01-28-2005, 01:13 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44442

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/24428/tn_tried.jpg

Miss Debbi – I know you tired, I can see it. But you didn’t quite make it did you?! :p

Emotional Critique: A couple in orbit dancing, changing places and influences, intimate - warm and cool depending on the place in the orbit. Slightly ethereal. Has a feel of timelessness.

Technical Critque: Great job on softening the lines, and loosening up the pressure on the pastels. A few of your colors were lighter but overall Miss Debbi this piece is saturated in vivid reds and midnight blues.

Try and take all your rich deep colors out of the box and set them out of sight – now do one with the mid range colors and soft pastel colors that are left. Or another way to say the same thing – is work only with the long, new untouched colors in your box!!! :evil:

MountainSong
01-28-2005, 01:24 AM

Queen Bee – Look at this wonderful little ray of whimsy! :D

Emotional Critique: Slight feel of metamorphous, Silly, whimsical, lighthearted and joyful. This is fun and it looks like you were having a great day when you did it.

Technical Critique: This would fall more under Contemporary most likely as it really leaves little to our imagination and tells us what it is – even though the shape of the butterfly has been abstracted somewhat and it’s head also has a snail feel – still in Contemporary land. This piece was pretty planned or consciously developed. To learn more from this Project try and initially develop a piece in the right hemisphere – don’t think about it. Then once your design is down you can look at it and decided where to take it – but try and avoid know recognizable forms. I know it’s hard – but you’ll be able to learn things that you can later take back to your regular style that will give it more presence and emotional depth.

Nice fun piece! Welcome to the Project – I look forward to seeing more of your work. :)

MountainSong
01-28-2005, 02:13 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44455

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/55259/tn_wcgo4.JPG

Ron – This is like a big ole cosmic smile getting ready to break into a super nova grin!
*LOL*
Can’t come up with a crit to save my life. I like it though and am looking forward to your next. It’s wonderful to see you trying more colors – they are working well for you – this is a very Happy Piece! :D

Keep creating - your loosening up and getting better. :cool:

Ruth Grinstead
01-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44473

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/38452/tn_number6finished.jpg

Finished I hope as I need to retrieve the easel.

Ruth

pastelist
01-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44475

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/16787/tn_Abstract.jpg

This is my watercolor entry. It was completed on watercolor 140lb paper.
Thanks for allowing me to particpate.

pastelist
01-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44476

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/16787/tn_EbayListingAbstract.jpg

I read the fine print (lol). This project was abstract in pastel. I posted a watercolor too. This project was so much fun I couldn't contain myself.
The pastel is 9 x 12 on sanded paper. Thanks for allowing me to particpate.

debbi_carr
01-30-2005, 09:48 AM

Miss Debbi – I know you tired, I can see it. But you didn’t quite make it did you?! :p

no i didn't, did i. LOL! i tried again with another tiny tiny one that i'll post when i have time. it's still not successful with the muted colours...but a littlee closer. i'll probably give it another attempt again.

prestonsega
01-30-2005, 01:34 PM

\

Becky...my experience with abstraction was a couple of limited projects in college also, in the style of Braque and Picasso.,....This piece is a winner. Which wde pic did you abstract? (i am too lazy to search)

This is really very appealing!

BeckyMc
01-31-2005, 09:47 PM

Debi - Thank you so much for your enthusiastic comments!

Mountainsong - Thank you for your thoughtful critique and comments. You and Debi have encouraged me so much that I may become a regular in the AB/Con forum. I might even start commenting on work by other artists. :eek:

Preston - I tried to abstract a WDE photo from Noma's (theIsland) weekend. I think it was of a frosted window. I've done some sketches, somewhat critical, of my life in corporate America. I was thinking of abstracting those - I have quite a lot to say, I think. First, I wanted to learn about what I was trying to do...

debbi_carr
02-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Mountainsong - Thank you for your thoughtful critique and comments. You and Debi have encouraged me so much that I may become a regular in the AB/Con forum. I might even start commenting on work by other artists.

yes becky! come on over!

MountainSong
02-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Pastelist Welcome aboard and it'd nice to see your work, I will be back when I have time to give you a thoughtful critique. (Friday/Saterday?)
It's nice to have you with us. :D

BeckyMc - you are most welcome in Ab/Con also, but be warned that place is hopping these days, a piece of work can slide onto page 2 in 24 hours! Yikes. :eek:

I'm looking forward to seeing more work from everyone.
Happy creating to you all! :wave:

pearlgirl
02-02-2005, 07:07 PM
WOW...way to go pastel..ers!! MountainSong invited me to check this out a while back and I finally had some extra time. I'm soooo glad I came...took all morning to read through the thread, not to mention the time spent sitting with your abstracts.
I am new to 'creating' art but have appreciated viewing abstract/comtemporary art for many years. The elusiveness and freedom in it truly appeals to me. It is a wonderful experience, for me, to look into a work and discover what it stirs within my own heart. The boundaries of my response are unfettered...therefore I can just be in the work and be myself!
Hmmm...anyway, just a quick intro before I go out into the garden to plant my, now wilting, seedlings.
I will come back and comment on your efforts later. Thank you for a morning of frankness, enthusiasm and expression.

Alison

pearlgirl
02-03-2005, 05:29 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44325

Wasn't sure how you bring up the picture since I haven't posted in projects before so I hope the above link does the trick.

1mpete...I chose this one of yours to comment on because it hit me so potently. I live on a fault line too and we have had a series of heavy quakes lately. We are continually told that the big one is due so when a quake hits I'm instantly taking precautions...just incase it's going to be the dreaded one.

Anyway, what I love about your piece is that, whilst showing the potential anger and energy that a big quake might bring, it also captures so beautifully the alluring splendour of the area we chose to live in. It somehow captures the ambiguity of the environment...risk versus peaceful paradise. This emotes the feelings I have about both sides of the city I call home.

I'm also a lover of very strong colours. They just resonant with me.

Mikki Petersen
02-03-2005, 07:22 AM
Pearlgirl, thank you for your nice comments. I'm glad my painting connected for you. And yes, living in earthquake country can be nervy business but I've come to believe that any region has it's "faults"...hurricanes, tornados, floods, fires, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis...you name it. Nature must periodically remind us mere mortals who is in charge.

Mikki

O'Aieghlans
02-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44473

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/38452/tn_number6finished.jpg

This is wonderful. An interesting mix of styles, it has a three-dimensional quality which you touched upon in one of your previous pieces. It really feels as if you were able to take it as far as you could.

Interestingly enough, the touch of black seems to indicate a conflict of some kind, either between where the piece was going artisitically -- perhaps a moment of hesitation on your part regarding the use of color -- or perhaps it indicates a separate idea intruding, as if it were a second start. The thought could lead to another piece. In any case, it's great that you did not stop to start another piece but took this one to its balanced end.

The somewhat organic form in the foreground presents a feeling of hope, growth, and a bit of mystery.

The piece feels as if you are taking a broader view of things, reaching towards the horizon to bursting light that might lead to the promise of better days.

O'Aieghlans
02-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44455

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/55259/tn_wcgo4.JPG

This piece is electric and a broad advance beyond your previous attempt. In this art you have made the leap to the area of emotion, whereas the previous attempt seemed more intellectual. I feel passion moving outwards -- an electric energy -- perhaps a glowing bird surging, flying up from the depths of the dark earth, charging upwards to the viewer, exploding into view, unashamed and unapologetic.

O'Aieghlans
02-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44514

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/24428/tn_ackee.jpg

A fragment of parchment from an ancient civilization, perhaps extra-terrestrial, points to a culture loaded with passion tempered by a mandarin curiosity -- but not untouched by regal ambitions. Obscurantism, mystery -- even a touch of the occult vibrate in this piece which wants to hide its intentions. :wink2:

O'Aieghlans
02-03-2005, 09:06 AM

I've let this one percolate in my mind for a good long while -- I've decided it's very strong, in an understated way.

An attempt made at framing ideas -- ideas that are not so easily framed -- is the feeling that I get from this piece. The color is coherent, even beautiful -- control is evident but not overbearing. A struggle between sharp pointed forms and organic, female forms is evident -- all a part of the desire to frame an experience within a coherent whole; what can one make of the struggle between what is hard and what is soft? The feeling is that these things go together -- they fit together as parts of the whole, just as the masculine and the feminine are the two halves of the human experience.

MountainSong
02-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Before I jump into critiques there are a couple things I’d like to say.

First a big thanks to Dan’s thoughtful and insightful critiques. :D Dan I’m really enjoying your participation in this project both as a participant and as a critiquer. You do a fine job, give sensitive and well thought out critiques and sujjestions and in addition are often here when I can not be. You have my full appreciation and thanks and no doubt that of the other participants as well. Kudo’s to you! :clap:

Secondly I’d like to extend a big thanks to PearlGirl and an invitation to be a regular part of this project. Back when SweetBabyJ and I discussed this I let her know I wasn’t the most qualified person from Ab/Con to facilitate this project. However if PearlGirl will join us - you folks will have the best Emotional Critquer I’ve seen to date.
If there is such a thing as an Art Empath it is she. She has knocked many people off their chairs with her ability to see deep into the heart of art and sometimes beyond into the heart of the creator. It is a stunning talent she has and those of us who’ve been fortunate enough to experience it have grown and learned from her insights.
PearlGirl we’d love you to join us to whatever extend you feel you can and I’m honored to have you aboard. :D

To all of you -Good work and Happy Creating. The weekend is almost upon us! May it be productive and art filled for us all! :cool:

prestonsega
02-04-2005, 02:04 AM
"I let her know I wasn’t the most qualified person from Ab/Con to facilitate this project. "

Mountainsong........For someone not "qualified" You have been doing a terrific job...I perused(sp?) the gallery tonight and was big time impressed...I still dont have all the verbage down for abstract critiques, but I am learning.

Thanks again for leading this project.....It has been the most educational project in which I have participated

pearlgirl
02-04-2005, 05:45 AM
Thank you for your generous comments MountainSong. I am a little flabbergasted. I don't know about your evaluation of me but I will just do and say what comes to me.

I agree whole heartedly with Dan's comments about how well you have done in this thread. I've learned alot and have been grateful for that. The group of artists who have joined up are so refreshingly open to learning. It was a joy to read through and I look forward to seeing how the artists here develop.

pearlgirl
02-04-2005, 06:04 AM

BeckyMc...I looked at this for quite some time before commenting. I see a lot of potential in this. As a first attempt, you have truly displayed a looseness that I think will lend itself well to abstract. I'm particularly drawn to the icey movement and colour treatment. I would be keen to see a piece using just that as a focus. I find myself wanting to block out the background and get lost in the icey foreground.

The touches of purple are superb. I'm keen to see where you could go in abstract. Your technique and looseness are well suited to the abstract genre. As MountainSong has mentioned I usually look for an emotional connection in art. I feel you are very close to packing a powerful punch on that front. I'd love to see you experiment more.

pearlgirl
02-04-2005, 06:55 AM

ColourMyWorld...this is an interesting piece. I see a battle between the cool, calm and collected side of our human nature, battling with the firey passionate side that wants to break loose. What intrigues me is that the passionate side seems to be reaching inward toward the more conservative side, it's as if, somehow, permission is needed before freedom can be explored.

The passionate is clinging to the calmer orb as if it is almost afraid to let go and be. Very good first work. I read that this was way out of your comfort zone and I appreciate the nerve it must have taken to post this. Still, I hope you embrace this project and give abstraction another go. It is a wonderful arena for self expression. Your first post gave me an emotional journey that was unique. That's what I love about the abstract, artistic process...every individuals work and experience will be displayed as such.

SweetBabyJ
02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
I have been just in awe of all the work being done here- so many different styles being demonstrated, so many different techniques and ideas. The critiques being given are spectacular- there is such encouragement and support for a genre which so many of us are unfamiliar with and do not understand. Well, past tense- did not understand- because MountainSong, Pearlgirl, lgol27, chandler and all the rest of the Ab/Con folks have so generously explained things we didn't quite get. And Dan, your participation has been a great addition- nice of you to join in with such enthusiasm.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, one and all.

MountainSong
02-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44514

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/24428/tn_ackee.jpg

Miss Debbi – You’re getting it! :D

Emotional critique: Sunrise on a day of festivity on a Malaysian Island. Sense of sunrise and moon set on water simultaneously. Words of hope and cheer on rice paper banners, the quite before activity. This feels inviting, it has quiet expectation in it.

Technical Critique: You did a good job lightening up on the intensity of the blues and reds but could push that a little further. Your Islands have changed locations in the world. *chuckle* This piece has a very nice balance and composition, and more of the subtle nuances of emoting – which is great to see in your work!
You might want to try and darken the tips of the torn paper - on the white side. There’s a rub-on gold stuff that comes to mind for the job. Antique gold. It’s sold in the craft section usually and is used to touch up antiques and patina’s. Little jar - like eye cream. The jars actually come in a number of golds and I believe silver too.
You’ve done well on this one Debbi and I’d like to see you take it another step forward in terms of lighter colors and different color explorations. Reds, and blues are a strong suit for you, try other color explorations this time to get the maximum learning out of this project. :wink2: :)

MountainSong
02-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44568

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/17276/tn_kindofblue.jpg

Magnuscanis Welcome to the project! You snuck in. Glad to have you aboard. Great entry too! :)

Emotional critique: Evening tide rain as seen from the inside of a jazz club with a hot venue on the stage and cool drinks served up by a mysterious and elusive waitress. Contemplative, internal quite, peaceful yet energized. Bitter sweet nostalgia. Ruminations of heart and a walk on the internal wild side. As you can tell this piece emotes heavily, it would be easy to keep going, it conjures a thousand visions, little snippits of experiences and imaginations. Most excellent work. ‘Couldn’t get away from jazz and blues music, it runs strongly through this piece. (that’s a good thing :) )

Technical Critique: Do another one, but this time have no aims. Let it lead you, go where it will. One of the objects of the project is to explore places we’ve never been in order to learn new skills and strengths to take back to our regular artistic pursuits. Many of us are used to having control during the artistic process, yet some of the most powerful artwork comes from a subconscious upwelling. Music is a very good approach for easing into a right brained shift. I’m looking forward to seeing more of your explorations; I have a feeling its going to be most enjoyable. :D Good work Magnuscanis.

MountainSong
02-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44476

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/16787/tn_EbayListingAbstract.jpg

Pastelist Welcome again to the project and what a happy fun piece you come in with! :D

Emotional Critique: Strong impressions of being a child again. Easter morning, fragrant air, tiny green buds on the tree’s, early flowers just blooming, and Easter eggs about to be hidden about. Strong sense of wonder and delight, excited anticipation, innocence, all things bright and new and fresh. Delightful work Pastelist.

Technical Critique: The ‘eggs’ on the bottom right and the two on the top left feel a little static in comparison to the other elements. A little more filling in of them would merge them more into the over all pattern. The blue verticals on the upper left add a nice balance to the lower right side of the image, but feel like they want for something more. Just look at what I’ve said while looking at your picture and try ideas out in your head, don’t actually change anything unless you really want to…just move on to another piece, this is early exploration in a new genre’, you’ll learn the most by doing more pieces as opposed to re-doing pieces. :)

This piece has much enthusiasm and energy in it Pastelist, and has been a delight to be with. I’m looking forward to seeing your further explorations. :)

MountainSong
02-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44475

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/16787/tn_Abstract.jpg

Hello Pastelist or should I say Watercolorist? :wink2: What a nice piece you’ve come back in with!

Emotional Critique: Swirling activity in a hill top city park, whimsical buildings, mere backdrops for the movements and lives moving through them.

Technical Critique: The sense of a scene or event was strong enough on this one that I wasn’t able to get multiple impressions from it. Perhaps that comes from the more structured elements. Did you have an idea in mind when you approached this?

One of the allures of abstractionism comes from being able to find our own stories in the art. Whereas realism tells us what it is i.e I am a horse, a creek, a tree, a little girl. We as viewer then decide if it is in a color or style we like, portrayed in a way which resonates with us etc. But always it what it told us it was in the first place.
Abstractionism allows us as viewers to write our own stories, remember fleeting memories or change emotional states upon viewing a work.
For your future pieces try veering away from illustrative shapes which can become narrative and I think you will find the emotive and emotional qualities in your work becoming more developed.

Good work Pastelist I’m looking forward to seeing more of your explorations along this road. :)

MountainSong
02-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44567

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/55259/tn_wcgo5c.JPG

Whoa Ron! Did you just make a forward evolution or what??!!? :eek:
Simon says “One giant step forward.”

Emotional Critique: Desert blown dunes with mineral traces, underwater sand ridges from gentle currents, tree rings under a microscope. Ice crevices with lichen and algae colonies. Navajo sand painting blowing apart under desert winds. Organic in nature, heat tempered by cool.

Technical Critique: I’m amazed at the depth you captured here Ron; you are starting to see how to render dimensionality. That icy blue against that fiery red is interesting. You could balance the tones though, meaning either cool off the red a touch or intensify the icy blue/grey a little if that makes sense.
I would like to see that foreground section that looks a bit like a dirty iceberg on an ice field repeated in the upper left hand to complete the balance of negative space. (Negative space in this instance being the ‘ice sheet’ or icy blue section).
Negative space is important in compositions as it allow ‘rest spots’ in an art work.
Inactivity is balanced with activity.
Because this piece has a structured pattern - tones, hues of color and the use of negative space and positive space become an important component.

It really is amazing to see how far forward you’ve come in, is it only four pieces??!
Be proud Ron – you’re doing great! :D :clap:

dragonlady
02-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Dan, thank you for your words about my painting, I appreciate the time you and the others are putting in to this project. It is really interesting to hear the different reactions and feeling evoked by these paintings. I have learned so much from this.

magnuscanis
02-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44568

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/17276/tn_kindofblue.jpg

Magnuscanis Welcome to the project! You snuck in. Glad to have you aboard. Great entry too! :)

Thanks. I'm glad you like it. :) I think the photo loses a lot of the depth of colour (and feeling?) in the original piece, but that seems to be a common problem with photos of paintings (actually this one was a scan, but it comes to much the same thing).

I'm certainly intending to try some more pastel abstracts when I get a chance - it seems to be a good combination of medium and subject. I was planning to do another one based on "Kind of Blue", but this time by listening to a single track (probably "Blue in Green" which would give me a colour scheme and a title to start from) several times and seeing what happens.

I'll also try doing some as you suggested, with no specific aim from the start.

pearlgirl
02-05-2005, 03:05 PM

debbi carr...This provokes quite different feelings for me than your more colour saturated pieces. I chose this one to comment on since it is one which you experimented on.

The calm and peaceful blues in this ground the piece so beautifully. I want to live this piece...to feel the inner strength of stillness whilst exploring and embracing the passionate, vibrant and invigorating emotions of living, boldly and confidently, in the world.

The soft yellows/oranges in the orb finish this off perfectly...the warmth of love, belonging and wholeness. This is a favourite. The more I sat with it, the more I experienced the light stirring of emotion...Thank you!

More, more, more... :wink2:

Ron Biggs
02-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44567

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/55259/tn_wcgo5c.JPG

Whoa Ron! Did you just make a forward evolution or what??!!? :eek:
Simon says “One giant step forward.”

WOW Thank you MountainSong your comments mean a lot, as someone new to painting it's great to be able to show people what I've done and get feedback on it. I've bean painting to relax after work, this was done in the morning before going to work. :confused: maybe I need to relax before painting :D

Thanks to all, I'm loving the Project and following this Thread with great interest.

Ron.

MountainSong
02-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44434

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/51019/tn_My_Artwork_015.jpg_resized.jpg

Aloha Talimah and a Hearty Welcome to the Project! It’s great you were able to join us. :D
That this is your first attempt at pastels ever is very brave and you get Kudo’s for that! Major growth as an artist can come from pushing beyond you boundaries and exploring unknown mediums, techniques and styles. You will learn through exploration.

I’m hoping some of the other Pastelist will weigh in here with some technical advice for you on the difficulties your experiencing with the brand of Pastels you have.
This may not be good advice, but I seem to vaguely recall once using a paint brush and dipping it lightly in alcohol and shaking it off, then using it to force colors to blend….hmmm this may have been with oil pastels though. Explore different methods to force colors to join such as cross- hatching and pointillism techniques. Inferior quality products have been responsible for many technical breakthroughs in art history!

Emotional Critique: I do not have one for this piece, it reads as being developed in the left brain and consciously planned and carried out. It could be that the difficulties you were experiencing with the pastels kept you in a very conscious and aware state – which is most understandable. Certain parts of us must be free and relaxed to make a switch to right brained creating.

Technical Critique: The colors you’ve chose work well in this piece making a warm and pleasant plane for the eyes to rest upon. The only exception would be the red – the shade is a little intense for the rest of the palette, increasing the intensity of the green ‘water drop’ would assist in balancing that out. A good choice for the largest ‘water drop’ would have been blue. It would have nicely balanced out the warm colors on that side with some cool color. (in this case your purple acts as a warm color, more blue or grey tones would have cooled it off a bit)
There is a sense of dimensionality in the piece which could be enhanced by adding some shadows under the ‘water drops’.

This is a good first run Talimah and I’m looking forward to seeing how you handle your technical challenges and where you head on the next few pieces. Again Welcome Aboard! :wave:

MountainSong
02-05-2005, 08:58 PM

Hello Ruth! My goodness this is a visual treat you’ve cooked up! And yes it is done – consider it fully cooked!

Emotional Critique: Ice spires and pinnacles against a low North Pole sun, Ice castles in front of an alien aurora borealis. This is intriguing, pleasant, graceful, warm and friendly and inviting, asking to be explored. Very visually pleasing indeed.

Technical Critique: There’s very little here that could be improved upon. It is well put together. The most I could say is the area with the inverted tan hook and the little yellow patch, with the purple streamer coming off doesn't quite read right, They flatten a little and being in the foreground it is more important that they have detail and/or dimensionality.
Again do not change it unless you really want to, just look at it and see what you would do differently and make a mental note, then move on to your next piece.

You’ve done extremely well on this one Ruth – the piece feels almost entirely developed in the right hemisphere. Like Ron I feel you are making amazing forward progress. :clap:

Talimah
02-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Mountainsong,
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I am definately going to try another and see how the alcohol trick works. These pastels I have are supposed to be oils, but they are so waxy that they remind me more of crayons. There have been many beautiful entries and they have peaked my curiosity enough for me to not give up. LOL. I am primarily a painter and when new mediums don't flow well for me I tend to blow them off. Anyway, thanks again and I will work on it some more and see if I can get the right-brain going. :D

Julie

debbi_carr
02-07-2005, 08:03 PM
O'Aieghlans, Mountain Song...thanks so much for the comments and the crititque on that one.

Pearlgirl, you have described in a nut shell what i would like to achieve/communicate/share with art. You have described what all my paintings are about, at least partially. I am glad it made you happy and gave you hope. thanks for commenting.

MountainSong
02-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44590

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/43451/tn_redabstract.jpg

Hello Dragonlady, you’re back with a wonderful construct! :D
I too have difficulties photographing red. The best luck I’ve had comes from shooting outdoors in light shade, with multiple positions. I have three of four places in the yard that I shoot at and some places are better than others depending on the time of day. I take about 25 shots and get 5-6 pics that are good out of that. The final color adjustments are made in Photoshop or the equivalent - often with the piece sitting beside the monitor for color comparison. Almost no pictures I take indoors come out even close. Hope this is helpful.

Emotional Critique: Primarily a left brain construction however bits of it do feel created in the right hemisphere, most notably the gentle rotation of the piece. There is a sense of being invited in, down a wonderful path towards a pyramidal tower in the background. There is a sense of the journey being as interesting as the destination with the construct revolving overhead. Strong sense of place in this despite the abstracted nature of it, it has a gentle and appealing energy to it and could be quite a knock out if it were 6 feet by four feet!

Technical Critique: This is a well developed piece with various planes within the picture field, it is interesting with a pleasant energy and nice clean lines.
I would suggest working with the color a bit normally but realize that the colors here are not representative of the piece and suspect it is already where I would suggest it head.
Some blending in the area were the white pastel is at would soften up the piece a hair, but is really more of a preference than a valid critique on this piece.
The shadowed area’s work well to add another sense of dimensionality. For a more realistic construct you could plan more which areas would be shadowed – as some seem true to their plane but others feel a bit jumbled…this however would move the piece into a different area completely and would not be applicable for a right brain construction!
I think your natural inclination is towards architectural and geometric elements, which is wonderful as many people are not as comfortable with them, yet you weave them together with apparent ease.

Good Job Dragonlady. :D :cool: I look forward to seeing more of your work.

MountainSong
02-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44663

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/22617/tn_Leaving_wc.jpg

Igol27 Welcome back, it’s wonderful to see another piece from you. :)

Emotional Critique: A journey through an exciting land, possibly with friends and/or family, sense of anticipation and child like wonder. This piece feels whimsical and has joy and happiness throughout it. It feels like a moving escalator and reminds me of something I saw in Las Vegas (Nevada, USA) It puts me in the mood to travel.

Technical Critique: Your sense of depth and dimensionality is developing well Igol27, you’re making good use of the total paper in this piece and your colors go together well. The design is interesting and moves our eye comfortably around the picture plane in a circle bringing us back to where we started and then taking us back around the loop again and again. This shows a developing understanding of how to use objects to lead the eye.
On the lower right the white triangle is coming out of the picture frame which is a little disconcerting. While this technique can be used effectively it would need to be balanced by other elements doing the same thing…it is tricky though because objects leaving the page tend to take our eyes with them, so approach this arena of exploration carefully. Avoid having main elements leaving the paper. The red line does the same thing but works very well – in fact it draws us into the picture – a forward pathway.
The edge of the ‘escalator’ closest to us needs an anchor – meaning perhaps a line like the other side has for balance…as it is it feels dangerous – as if our weight might spill us off the side.

Overall this is one of your best pieces to date Igol27 and I’ve enjoyed exploring it! :D :cool:

MountainSong
02-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44676

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/52259/tn_claque2.jpg

O’Aieghlans – Welcome back and what an energy packed piece you’ve come back in with! :)

Emotional Critique: A fiesta, a party, an astronomical event. Strong energy moving, expanding, slightly balanced by the blues and purples which speak of depth and a field for further exploration - Strong feeling of this being a fully right brained creation.

Technical Critique: Most striking is the orientation of the picture with the far left being the vanishing point and the far right being closest to us. I find that fascinating and wonder if you did it deliberately or if it was one of those moments of magic which sometimes happens? You have two distinct planes – a foreground and a background – the foreground holds the action while the calmness in the piece is the background. The two weaving blue lines are the element tying the foreground and background together. Good color choices and good use of negative areas (in this case the whites in the background) to balance the action in the piece. I find the ‘sun’ element to be a little static despite the depiction of rays coming off it. It may be a little under developed also.

Again – the orientation of this piece is most striking and I’m smitten by it! Great job on the oblique angle in the depth of field Dan. :D

MountainSong
02-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44631

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/55259/tn_wcgo6.JPG

Aloha Dan, I think it would fall under Abstract Impressionism. Good to see you back with another piece. :)

Emotional Critique: You described this one very well in your intro Ron and it read exactly as it was created. It could also be interpreted to show a hopeful heart in the middle of gloom, or standing inside a warm dry place looking out a window at the brewing elements. The bird speaks strongly of a flight of fancy or memory…of a going somewhere in the mind.

Technical Critique: I like very much how you handled the sun rays and the inclusion of the bird. The sky and water are well depicted also. My only crit would be the sand – it reads a little flat overall – it could be a little darker perhaps near the waterline, and the underside of the water ripped could also have a light shadowing if you wanted.

This is your best developed piece to date Ron and it emotes strongly – so much so that I need to go find a piece of sunshine to sit in now! *L* :D

MountainSong
02-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44629

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/51019/tn_My_Artwork_018.jpg

Wow Talimah! You’ve got a strong comeback here! :D

Emotional Critique: Explosive energy, deep fire, consuming passion…deep heat, internal combustion set in a void of space.

Technical Critique: The ranges of color values you’ve used really make this piece pop out. It is vibrant and rich and has an amazing sense of depth to the pigments. I almost find this piece more about the technique than about subject – which is just fine. Sometimes the appeal of an art piece is in just that. This piece really invites us to look into its depths. The blue and green in this piece act not as a cool down but as a contrast to make the reds even richer. Nice internal glow in the reds.

The alcohol seems to have really done the trick Talimah! I’m so pleased you tried it and it works. :D I’m looking forward to your further explorations using the alcohol – it’s amazing how rich and saturated this piece feels – I almost want to touch it. Great Job. :)

Ron Biggs
02-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44631

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/55259/tn_wcgo6.JPG

My only crit would be the sand – it reads a little flat overall – it could be a little darker perhaps near the waterline, and the underside of the water ripped could also have a light shadowing if you wanted.

Hi MountainSong,

Thank you for your critique, I'm really enjoying this project. :clap:
When I did this I didn't think about making the sand look good, I was just trying to convey the thought. I'll go back to it and see if I can do something with it.

Ron.

MountainSong
02-13-2005, 05:08 AM
Aloha Ron,

My apologies I got your name wrong - I just caught that. :o
You're learning the most important thing first and that is to tap the right hemisphere for inspiration and composition...the rest, the details will come with time, you learn a little bit more each time you do a piece. In time you can form your art purely right brained and then do the locking in of details and nuances in the left brain to really pull the painting together.
This might serve as an illustration for you; I just posted it in Abstract/Contemporary a little bit ago. It's a purely right brained composition but the final details that make it pop were done in the left brain – the cherry on top of the Ice Cream Sunday as it were.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=250381

Take a look and see if you can feel the difference, if you can tell where the right brain left off and the left brain took over. :p

Ron Biggs
02-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Aloha Ron,

This might serve as an illustration for you; I just posted it in Abstract/Contemporary a little bit ago. It's a purely right brained composition but the final details that make it pop were done in the left brain – the cherry on top of the Ice Cream Sunday as it were.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=250381

Take a look and see if you can feel the difference, if you can tell where the right brain left off and the left brain took over. :p

Hi MountainSong,

Had a look at your painting as you suggested, not sure where the change from right to left happened, but as I sat and looked at the painting (I downloaded it and set as my wallpaper, hope this is ok?) what I got was not so much of music but more, (this might sound stupid :o ) a bright warm spring day with a light rain shower, this might be just wishful thinking because its cold grey and wet at the moment, who know!!

I really like this painting :clap: :clap: , if one day I can paint half this good I’ll be very happy :D

Thank you so much for everything; this project has been great fun, very educational and a boost to my confidence and understanding of abstract art. I’ll have to start lurking over there.

Ron.

MountainSong
02-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Hello Ron,

*L* I do not mind one bit that you downloaded it as your wall paper – it’s flattering. :)
Nor does it sound stupid that you got spring showers from it either. I attempt to make my work subjective so that each person viewing it can get their own story from it. I do not wish to tell the story but to stir enough desire/interest in the viewer for them to get a solid impression from it – their own experience/story.

The ‘streamers’ were what was added from the left brain. The painting needed another visual element and the ‘globes’ needed some form of anchor. So the decision was made to go with the ‘streamers’ to tie it all together.
Does this help you see with your own painting the 'memory' piece, how you can get the composition and mood from the right brain and at the end analyze it from the left brain and decide what is needed to bring it all in line?

Keep creating! And Happy creating to you All!
I’m looking forward to seeing new works in the Portfolio. :D

dragonlady
02-18-2005, 06:59 AM
Mountainsong,

Thanks for the critique - sorry to take so long replying but I have been extremely busy lately and have barely had time to keep track of the posts !

I tried all sorts to photograph this, this one was taken outdoors and adjusted in Photoshop but it's still not really close. Those taken indoors or scanned were brown instead of red.

Goodness, I can't imaging living with this at 6 by 4 feet, I may try to do a larger piece (maybe not quite that large though) but I think it would have to be oils/acrylics instead of pastels or I would use up my entire stock.

I think you're correct that my natural inclination is towards architectural and geometric elements. I tried really hard to create a piece that was flowing and not geometrical but it just didn't work.

MountainSong
02-24-2005, 01:09 AM
Hello all,

No worries DragonLady - things have been plenty busy on this end too. Photographing is such a toughie - red seems to be the worst color to try and capture.

There's some new work in the portfolio and I'm looking forward to diving into it on Friday....till then - happy creating to all of you! :)

dragonlady
02-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=45006

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/819/completed/52642/tn_arcolinea1.jpg

Oh yes, I did enjoy this one. I'm not practised enough at abstracts to make a serious attempt at commenting but I had to say how much I like this. The colours work well together and I love the way the various parts are woven together, it almost looks like layers of velvet.