PDA

View Full Version : Milkglass Eggs

SweetBabyJ
01-15-2005, 12:32 PM
It's the prettiest little Depression-era milkglass bowl- always nice to take to a supper or put on a holiday table, so I decided to try it in a white on white on white piece. Cauliflower and peeled potatoes were right out, so that left eggs. Eggs are a whole lot harder than they look- like pearls- it isn't just accurate shape and edges and all- it's proper contouring and form, too. Pain in the behind. But this is where I am thus far, patient layers and layers of light colour scumbled and glazed over and over each other ending with the colour which is "right" for that area.

The front part will be significantly darker- in shadow- probably the lightest value will match the darkest value on the eggs. "Under" the "table" will be very dark- although the colour will have a lean- probably to a greenish-purple-blue. 19" x 27", Wallis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2005/9169-milkglasseggssm.jpg

Mikki Petersen
01-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Julie, you have certainly caught all those egg shapes from odd angles just right. I would think it would take a lot of control for you not to want to grab some bright color to throw in there. It's looking beautiful already.

tURBOCAT
01-15-2005, 12:42 PM
This glows! Keep us posted!

ponting
01-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi Julie, I like it already and milk glass is perfect for white on white on white!

I have my own popcorn now.....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2005/34523-popcorn.gif...Dianna

SweetBabyJ
01-15-2005, 12:46 PM
lol- it's certainly a departure, isn't it? I'll get a pic of my palette for this in a bit; I got two plates out and laid the lights on one, and the darks (darned few of those!) on another and am being virtuous about not touching the dark plate at all, no way, no how, till I get to the bottom. No grays are used, either- that'd be cheating. (*insert smug virtue icon here*) Closest is a grayish-green and a lavenderish-gray, but both are very definately "colour" over "gray".

Hopefully, I can get this done this weekend and be ready for MountainSong's Abstract project when it's up.

LOL Dianna- it's Orville Redenbacher's Tender White- which tastes nearly as good as the real thing popped on a stove in an old heavy pan, shaken every second, with real butter over it, and the nicest sprinkling of salt....

Add leftover pizza, and you have the breakfast of champions....

Dyin
01-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Actually got some time to cruise the forums this afternoon...what a delight to find this! Eggs are incedibly more difficult that you'd think...it's mostly about tone for the form, like you said...we did an OP classroom on that...great exercise! You have such a glow on the glass right now, hope it doesn't get lost when you go darker...it's what really attracted me...I love how light shines through the color on that kind of glass. I like the gray/green in the background and the eggs look poifect! :D

btw...you can use the 'smug' icon, but think you'll have a hard time finding the 'virtuous' one :p

ponting
01-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Julie, I hate to disturb you when you are madly painting up a storm but I wanted to question the shape of the bowl before you go too much further. I get the sense that one side is a little out and when looking at the pattern formed by the facets it seems to be the left that upsets the balance.

What do you think? Dianna ...I don't want you to get through this too easily. :p

SweetBabyJ
01-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Actually got some time to cruise the forums this afternoon...what a delight to find this! Eggs are incedibly more difficult that you'd think...it's mostly about tone for the form, like you said...we did an OP classroom on that...great exercise! You have such a glow on the glass right now, hope it doesn't get lost when you go darker...it's what really attracted me...I love how light shines through the color on that kind of glass. I like the gray/green in the background and the eggs look poifect! :D

btw...you can use the 'smug' icon, but think you'll have a hard time finding the 'virtuous' one :p
hmmm.. is that you think *I* would have a hard time finding virtue, or *anyone* here would? I'll have you know I've practiced virtuous looks in front of the mirror and I defy anyone to match my look of sincere piety.... :D

Here's a slight update- and you can see the decision I'm going to have to make soon: Is the under the table part *too* dark? Dunno yet, but I suspect it is. Thankfully, "It's easier to lighten a dark than to darken a light, yada-yada" so a little glazing with some of the lighter colours should do it if it turns out my suspicions are correct. Also included some close-ups so you can see the layers and layers of colours- NO ONE makes a good purple green, or orange blue- you gotta do that yourself.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2005/9169-milkglasseggssm02.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2005/9169-milkglasseggssm02det1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2005/9169-milkglasseggssm02det2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2005/9169-milkglasseggssm02det3.jpg

Edit: You're right, and not, I think, Dianna. This bowl is swirled "petals", so while it is round, it is not circular all the way around- if that makes sense. Plus, the right side base shows a bit, and the left side is just nicked at hidden- but I'll re-visit those areas to make sure. Thanks for the eye.

ponting
01-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Ah sure, choose something really difficult like a bowl with swirls!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2005/34523-popcorn.gif

SweetBabyJ
01-15-2005, 04:30 PM
I said it was the prettiest thing, dint I?? :p

I checked and gave it a bit more round on the right, but not much. Mostly reconfigured the cloth folds and wrinkles there- and am definately going to have to lighten the "under" part in front. Tried one bit of putting in all those lovely little crotchety thingies in the cutwork (pronounced "krotch-et-ee" because it makes you feel that way making it) but quickly muttered "S*d this for a game of soldiers!" and got rid of it. Accuracy is no longer as important to me... :D I have virtue, you know.

SweetBabyJ
01-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Thank goodness for play-off football! I despise being interrupted when I'm in the flow. Finished for now- there's a bit of wash-out in the bottom middle from my spot (it has been seriously dark up here for the past hour and a half), but otherwise, I'm pleased with it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2005/9169-milkglasseggsfinalul.jpg

Thanks for looking and playing along....

Tich
01-15-2005, 08:28 PM
It looks lovely. I especially like all of the color you have worked into it. Is the bowl irridescent?

Tich

ponting
01-15-2005, 09:05 PM
My goodness you work fast girl!! And speaking of bowls.....we were weren't we? I just realized how large this one must be to hold that many eggs. I can count 11 showing so it really is large. I would love to see a photo of it empty just to see the bowl itself ...a rare fine I should think.

Kudos for this one Julie.. :clap: :clap: ..now what are you going to do with all those eggs?

Cheers from the peanut gallery...Di

Tom Christopher
01-15-2005, 10:37 PM
This is definitely going to be a winner, Julie. I'm sitting by, waiting for each update. I had no idea all the decision making that goes with one of these.. The process is way interesting. Thank You, Tom

SweetBabyJ
01-16-2005, 11:27 AM
Tich, while milkglass is not coated with an iridescent the way carnival glass is, it is often also called "opal glass" for its ability to refract and reflect in colours. It was formulated as a glass substitute for porcelain, and usually has tin oxide or flouride mixed into it (ruby glass- or cranberry glass- is made by mixing in gold chloride). The "best" pieces have near-clear edges- which lights them right up. It was often used for hobnail patterns as it is a poured glass, and well-suited for mold-work.

No sense fooling around, Dianna- being picky doesn't always mean procrastinating, yanno. I'll see if I can get a pic of just the bowl today with one egg for size comparison- and I'm sure I'll use 'em all up in various ways- usually I make little quiche thingies.

Thanks, Tom- I'm sure the decision process is not different than yours, though- just how blue ARE those shadows in the gully?? It's alla same, just different.

PAKI
01-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Your paintings emit such beautiful refracted light. You pick wonderful subjects to enhance your style. I have no knowledge of this type of glass, but you depict and describe it in a most wonderful-way. Your narrative approach to making decisions and changes is very educational and helpful. :clap: :clap: :clap:

SweetBabyJ
01-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks, Paki- I like making the whole thing fun, anyway.

Here Dianna, two shots to show size and then shape- you can see the base isn't "circular", but affected by the way the petals swirl in:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2005/9169-milkglasseggsizecomp.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2005/9169-milkglasspear.jpg

Pretty thing, innit it?

Pinecone Conniff
01-16-2005, 08:25 PM
When you pick this painting up and move it around you better be careful!! Looks like those eggs and that glass bowl could break easily!! :wink2:
Wow!! :clap:
Annette

watergirl
01-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Wow! I got rid of a few kidney stones and you created this! Beautiful work Julie! I have a few pieces of opal glass and I would love to work with them someday. With clear opal glass, what type of backcloth would you use?

here are some pics of my glass...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2005/43083-Pict0014.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2005/43083-Pict0010.jpg

ponting
01-16-2005, 09:29 PM
That is nice Julie and easy to see those swirls now. I think though that those must be bantam eggs as the bowl looks so huge with the one egg and so much smaller with that lucious yummy pear.

Thanks for humoring me........Cheers, Di

SweetBabyJ
01-16-2005, 11:27 PM
lol @ bantam eggs- no way! Genuine, certified Grade A Large, or so the cartons say. I managed to get 21 in that bowl- so nearly two dozen- after that it just looked *too* full. And the pear is HUGE- really big and juicy-fat looking, I'll try to get to eating it before it goes bad (I buy the stuff knowing it is for painting- if it gets eaten afterwards, fine, if not- ah well, a cost I must bear. If I didn't have this attitude, I'd be painting tuna-noodle casserole or something).

Lovely glass, Molly- bring those- and that lace too- down with you. I'll show you how to set-up some good still lifes and we'll mess around with light and shadow- the white lace is a great choice because it doesn't influence the opalescence- quite the opposite- and the pattern is a wonderful foil. That's opalescent "flash", I think- they coat it with an iridescent; it isn't through and through the glass. In the Depression, they'd take regular coloured glass pieces, and give it an oomph! with iridescents, and give it away at fun fairs and stuff- which is where we got the name "Carnie Glass" for some of the stronger-coloured stuff. It's all extremely collectable- my mother and sister have hobnail sets (complete!) in milk glass, and another sister collects Vaseline glass- but only with the opalescent flash. She's always been a picky one.

Ouch on the kidney stones, glad that's over for you, although I bet not so glad as you. Hope things are much better now. Let me know.

Grasshopper
01-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Those pics (1 egg in bowl, pear in bowl) look like they would also make great paintings. Can I try them from your pic? Love your work, love the info you pass on. At first I thought the bottom of the painting was too dark compared with the rest but once you posted a pic showing the whole thing worked in, I changed my mind.

Masque
01-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Ahhhhhhh!! Yet another wonder, and another lesson to boot. Your paintings, your posts, your teaching and writing skills, and your wonderful sense of humor are an absolute joy to the rest of us. Aside from that, what a blessing that you are also prolific. My SBJ file grows. :music:

*Deirdre*
01-17-2005, 09:32 AM
This is so good! I thought white on white...very clever - you won't see much! Not so! How many shades of white did you say there were? :evil:
You're lucky you don't live in the UK...we stamp our eggs! :D

SweetBabyJ
01-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Go for it if you'd like G'Hop- although to me, that pic didn't come out real well- I was still fooling with manual settings on the camera. I've tried twice in the past few weeks to upload to the RIL but get a "File Not Found" error, and thus far, no one's answered any pm's to tell me what's wrong. Worked before, doesn't now. For me, anyway. I thought the bottom might be too dark, too and kinda held my breath until I got enough of it done to see it was a needed weight- whew! Skated by again!!

lol Gloria- I'll have to point you in the direction of Infranview- apparently, it is THE little program to have for viewing files in thumbnail without having to drag psp or whatever all the way out and up. Dunno- my geek-friend gave it to me and sometimes what he finds neat and nifty-cool is more a pain in the behind to me....

Very little white used, Dierdre- some on the eggs for the lightest of highlights, but mostly those are all near-whites- and lemme tell you, you've got to have some pretty rich lights and mid-lights to make white show up in such a high-key area! Stamped eggs?!? Whyfor? And do the chickens mind?

:D

prestonsega
01-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Julie..this is quite a break from your "traditional" palette. Waiting patiently for the finished piece.

O'Aieghlans
01-18-2005, 07:23 AM
This is great! I'm not even going to try to say something constructive as white-on-white scares the crap out of me ;)!

Rose Baggs
01-18-2005, 10:22 AM
This is great! I'm not even going to try to say something constructive as white-on-white scares the crap out of me ;)!

The same here!!! ehehhehe
Looks Fantastic already!!! :) :p

dexonsbabe
01-18-2005, 10:50 AM
another great piece Julie. :clap: :clap:

Meisie
01-18-2005, 02:25 PM
:clap: Love your colours!

Meisie

SweetBabyJ
01-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Thank you, Y'all, I appreciate the support. I've tried for a few hours, it seems, to get a good pic- the "natural light" up here pretty much resembles that found inside a closet, and artificial lighting is either washing it out in the darker areas, or catching the darks and turning the lights a weird tan-gray. Guess you'll have to trust me when I tell you the bottom dark ("under" the table) reads dark and back, not violet and forward.