PDA

View Full Version : Structured Critique Wanted

Beads-Me!
01-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi all! I've been playing with new ideas and have been having fun with my version of a pogo-stick bead. For awhile now I've been trying to think of ways to incorporate my mishmash technique with something else - feeling the need to evolve. I was thumbing through Corina's book a couple weeks ago and saw the pogo-sticks and when one of my beads took a turn south a few days ago it became the black and white bead in the picture. These are way first beads so I know I need to work on tweaking them but I have so many ideas bopping about in my head that I thought it was time to take a plunge into the structured critique pool to get some direction...... :)

Okay details: the taller ones are about 28mm and the smaller are 23mm. I started with a stiped bead and added the rest of the glass later. Then dab on the mishmash add dots on top and that's about it.. All Moretti... Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance - I'm looking forward to your advice and tips! I'm having trouble with my picture software so I apologize for the small size... :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2005/14950-1111111111111111120052NewBeadShape.jpg

lorwolff
01-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I really like them. They are very cool.
I can't think of any critique.
Just keep playing, and be sure to show us where you go with them.

Ancient Child
01-15-2005, 01:11 PM
I'mm trying to imagine them in a piece of jewelry. I think they would work best mounted vertically. To use them horizontally, one would have to add another round attachment to the other side. Which would make for an interesting center piece on a bracelet....I say they look cool and to keep exploring. Fresh ideas are what art's all about!!!

!Karen
01-15-2005, 01:40 PM
In case you are a newcomer or not aware of what a structured critique is for, please read the sticky at the top of this forum.

Here is a link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206267).

Nancy,

How about a bit more direction in what you are looking for critique wise? I'm not quite sure myself where you want to go.

shape
how to use it
colors

:wave:

Kimberly Affleck
01-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Since this is a structured critique, I won't say that I think they are cool ( :evil: ).
I think I would like them better if the top design "fitted" with the bottom design a little better, or maybe if there was some sort of transition. The slender part of the bead doesn't really fit with or compliment the lovely striped bead. Maybe it's a case of two three designs being better than two. If you had say, the striped bead, followed by some dots or spiral (the spiral could come off of the stripes!!! That would be cool!!), followed by some flowers............ Not sure what I am trying to say here. It just seems to be missing something. If you added a third element, it would be a longer bead (and I would certainly like that!!) and it might be a little easier to design a piece of jewelry around it.

llglassdesigns
01-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Nancy,

I agree with Kim. I think odd numbers are somehow more asthetically appealling than even numbers. I think adding a third section would make it feel 'right', if that makes sense. I've added a picture of what I'm trying to say. I also think it should have an assymetrical look to it and have the focus of the bead as the center element. The two ways I can think of using this type of bead would be as a verical pendant or a horizontal pin or brooch. This is an interesting style you are working on and I'd love to see how you end up developing it.

Deb

torchie
01-15-2005, 04:46 PM
They are nice as they are but I have to agree about adding another element to tweek them. In art school they told us that adding elements in odd numbers to a design seems to work best. Every time I try to get away from that rule I find myself coming back to it.

I think another element on either end would balance the beads better.
:cat:

Lara
01-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Nancy:

I too have to agree. I make small beads, but these seem too small/the perportions seem to be off. Perhaps if the barrel portion was longer and sleeker or if the barrel portion tapered to a point.

Lara

Beads-Me!
01-15-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks everyone! That makes total sense. Being a jewelrymaker I should have though about the odd rule. (Not to mention being a little odd myself ;) ) I can't wait to go out and try your idea's... Any other suggestions? Lara - the picture makes them look smaller than they really are....

koregon
01-15-2005, 06:30 PM
well lets see...they look like a couple beads stacked on one another...not really in harmony. they need to flow better?? I think longer and leaner would look good to...they are on the stubby side...to fat for their height?? How would they be used?? strung up? that might help a bit in deciding execution of them./no execution as in gun em down...but making them LOL

If your going to marry the two beads...they need to look like they are a couple I guess...they look like they are just shacked up and not really dedicated to one another :rolleyes: sheeeeeeeesh...I think I am full of it and need to go back to the torch...can't wait to see where you go with these thou Nancy....I am thinking they aren't bright enough colors to be your beads...where is the bright lime and orange and stuff ??? huh huh?

Ellen Altamore
01-15-2005, 06:41 PM
So that's what those interesting beads were on Robin's kitchen counter today. Didn't know they were yours, Nance, cool, I like them. Keep at it, sistah!

Beads-Me!
01-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Karen - I guess I knew something was not quite done with these as far as the look. I can handle color and I was plannng on using them for pendants, zipper pulls, etc. But as others have pointed out as much as I like how they're headed I knew something was missing! I like the idea of opposites -the lines of the striped beads opposed to the florals or randomness of mishmash.... But now I'll transition them somehow... And Kaye - you're right about the stubiness. I'll try thinning them out - I knew that midpoint but I couldn't redo the striped beads.... :rolleyes: And Ellen - smooches chica!