PDA

View Full Version : Wanna see how I'm doing with the minor?

Moth
01-15-2005, 12:55 PM
These aren't up to the level I was at with my trusty old HotHead, but I don't think I'm doing too bad! LOL

I look forward to the day that I feel connected to the flame again though. Right now I still feel like it is a foreign tool to me. My old flame felt like it was shooting right out of my chest and I knew exactly what it was going to do and how it would affect everything I put near it. I am sure I will get there with the minor, but for now I am just learning everything again.

Take care guys.

~~Mary

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2005/24464-minorbeads1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2005/24464-minorbeads2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2005/24464-minorbeads3.jpg

NitroGal78
01-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Beautiful beads for "just" getting your minor! I know it is a big adjustment, and I think it takes along time. I got mine in Sept, and I am still aprehensive about cranking it up.

Lisa

hayjoshrae
01-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Mary,

Those are still incredible beads!!! I got my minor months ago, but I've been taking forever to get all the "gear" that goes with it..... I think it's because I'm so darn nervous to use something other than my trusty HotHead.

You're doing GREAT!

Oh, and "Hi!" by the way! :wave: We haven't chatted in awhile! Hope things are going well!

CorvetteJuliet
01-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Mary, You're doing wonderfully! It's all about just putting in the time. The connected feeling will come! :) How are you liking it though? Are you enjoying the melting faster parts even though the fine control takes some getting used to? ;) ~Juliet

!Karen
01-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Those are great Mary!!

It took me about 10 days to get used to my lynx.

Good job!!

StefaniBeads
01-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Wow, Mary! They are looking pretty darn good! You will get used to it in no time I'm sure. :)

If and when I ever move up to a new torch, I worry about having to change the way I work, and my beads are so small too. I can just see myself melting glass right onto my lap. Heck, just the other day I was bending 1/16" mandrels with the HH! What's up with that?! It made me so mad because I have to stay in the flame to shape them up! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm so happy for you, and I'm looking forward to watching your progress! ;) :D

nicker
01-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Mary you are doing awsome. I love mine!

KellyD
01-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Mary- Your beads look great!! I know how you feel though, a year ago I switched over from my trusty hothead to a minor. After a while the minor will start to feel like part of you too.....And you will LOVE the quiet sound!
I would say good luck, but from the look of your beads you don't need it :)
Kelly

Moth
01-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks everyone!

It IS getting easier.

Karen, that is good news that it took 10 days for you to get used to your lynx. I have torched 4 times so far on the minor, so 6 more times is what I will shoot for. :D :wave:

Lisa, it IS an adjustment. I find myself wanting to turn the flame down all the time then I think to myself, "I did NOT spend this much money to still work at the same temp flame my hothead was using." So, I force myself to leave it hot and just try to work further out until I get the hang of it.

The first day was Hell. I boiled and burnt everything but I was still trying to figure out what settings were what and where the flame was. I had new glasses too and it seems I was relying too much on what the flare looked like to see my flame. Now I see zero flare.

The biggest things to get used to aren't the heat, surprisingly enough. It is the fact that my torch no longer shoots practically straight up in the air so the flame is now hitting the bead at a different angle that I am used to. Therefore, I have had to change my hand positions quite a bit. Another thing was the problem I had with the surging propane. I think I have that ironed out now and the sessions go much better.

The higher heat does have its quirks though. I have totally had to change the way I make vine canes. I used to encase a rod of silvered ivory with transparent grass green to make my vine cane. The silver reaction with the ivory, controlled under the green left the most gorgeous sublte, natural-looking stripes. If I try to use that cane right now with the minor, the ivory and silver leak out of the green and bleed all over the place.

So, I am back to making striped cane for my vines which I don't like as well. I think I will add an extra encasement of clear over the grass green for my silvered ivory vines and see if that solves the problem.

Other than that, I LOVE the heat. I love how I can twirl the bead a few times and have it be round. I love how soft the glass can get for shaping.

It has taken some getting used to not having to keep the bead directly in the flame the whole time. LOL

All in all, I LOVE the minor. I just need to get used to it.

A little word of advice for anyone thinking of upgrading to a hotter torch from a HH. Don't also change everything else in your studio at the same time. LOL I spent a lot of money right before Christmas on my new torch, new oxycon, new tools, new glasses, new chair, new blah blah blah. So, not only did I have to get used to the torch, I had to get used to doing everything differently with all my new stuff. :rolleyes: I even went from always standing while I torch, to sitting in a stool so high I can't reach the floor. Trust me...change just one thing at a time. LOL

Thanks again guys and sorry for the epic response. LOL

~~Mary

ValorieCox
01-15-2005, 02:50 PM
wow, looking great Mary! Val

lsking
01-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Mary~ Your beads are looking wonderful as always!!!! I think we both got our torches at about the same time and I feel the same way about my Mini CC...I was so used to the sound of the flame and how it sounded different when doing different things and now it is all so quiet and so hot so quickly..it just blows me away! I feel like I am getting more and more used to the new torch, but it is coming slowly......

Laurie L
01-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Mary I think you are doing AWSOME!!!

I got a Minor for Christmas ( no Oxy con though, and DH just informed me I have used a half a bottle of oxy already geesh) and found only a slight learning curve from the QT torch. I DID turn down the minor a bit to get used to it and found that helped alot. I did take my first class on a minor so that did help too.

I have not used it a bunch yet but so far I just LOVE it !! Keeping my QT for back up and in case a friend wants to come over and play.

Only thing I am finding is that i burn off my silver leaf and foil really fast. Darn it. Cant seem to get used of that part of the higher hotter heat thing. HELP !!

Enjoy your new torch. Enjoy making beads. It wont take long and you will be putting out beads you will call masterpieces !!

~Laurie

kissmyglass
01-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Mary, those are all so gorgeous! I started with a minor/oxy con setup from the start so I didn't even know what a hot head was for a long time! HA! I love it (though I had nothing to compare it too). I love your florals, they are some of my favorite beads in WC and i 'm glad you treated yourself at Christmas, I 'm sure you deserve it!

theonlyduda
01-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Very nice Mary!! Just wait.... you'll be cranking the heat and wanting more before you know it! :D I hear you about the chair though! I recently got a new chair and who knew it would take so long to adjust to that?! Heehee.... :) Happy torching!!

GinaJ
01-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Your beads are looking great! I've been wondering how you were doing with your new torch, thanks for the update!

SPIglass
01-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Mary, those are looking great! Just give yourself a little more time to adjust to your new torch. When I switched from my Lynx to a Barracuda, it took me about a week of torch time to get used to the difference. Every torch has a learning curve. You're doing wonderfully!

--Paulette

KetchikanSculptor
01-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Mary... WOW... girl! I know you will be happier once you get your practice down to the science you had with the HotHead. I still look at the beads you sent me all the time and keep telling myself that that is one TALLENTED woman! Can't wait to see what you will be doing on your next update post!!!

For now I am goin got stick with my lowly HotHead as it is much more expensive to do it with any other type of set up... for here on the rock.

valerie_folly
01-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Hey Mary, keep it up and soon you will find your groove and be making all lovely beads as always. Switching to a Pirhana is why I decided to do the newbie exchange again but I am no where near as good as you to begin with. Valerie

Diane S.
01-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Mary~ Very nice beads,I have missed seeing your beautiful florals~I will own one someday! Keep at it ,I am just getting used to my bobcat & thats been Nov. I love the quiet though! :clap: I can hear my music without blasting it,such fun! Keep us posted on your progress.
Diane

Booger
01-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Mary Moth!
Someone told me once that it takes 300 beads to get the hang of new torch...........Now, I am sure she was referring to the average person and had she known it was you and saw your firsties?

Would have changed the number to a mere fraction. You may have to change someof your techniques for the HotHead around, but the accomplishments with a toasty heat will blow that away too.

Congratulations of Your Newest Acquistion!
Sheryll

Beads-Me!
01-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Nice job Mary! Enjoy that Minor - I love mine....

AlaskaBarb
01-16-2005, 03:24 AM
Mary, you can change the position of the torch, by loosening the wing nut on the frame, if you liked the angle of the hothead better.

And don't hesitate to turn your flame down, if that's where you feel comfortable. A mixed-fuel torch is more than just a hotter-running torch; it's adjustable -- and the beauty of having an adjustable torch is to be able to do just that. (I probably adjust the
Lynx flame ten times in each session, if I'm doing flowers or other little sculptural things.)

You'll have the flame shooting out of your chest in no time, girl!

Fondly,
B

beadescape
01-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Mary, I have been wondering how you were doing with your Minor. I remember your post when you decided to buy it and about the same time I was also thinking of upgrading. I got all my new stuff for Christmas and everyday I say to myself " OK this is the day" but I still have not turned it on. I cleaned out my work area yesterday and I think I am ready. You have inspired me to take the leap. Your work is beautiful and keep posting your updates.

mjvanhorn
01-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Hi Mary-I went fromt a HHH to a Minor and have NEVER LOOKED BACK!!!!!!!! I can work much faster, I dont seem to burn colors anymore (or I have just gotton used to it) and it's so much quieter!!! I can actually hear the "plinky-plunky" music I play when I work. No worries, it will come really fast for you and you will wonder why you didn't get one sooner! :)

Mike in Utah

Moth
01-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks!! Ya know though, I was SO looking forward to the quiet aspect of this torch and was really disappointed when I realized my ventilation was so loud there isn't any difference. I still can't hear anything else. I used to wear headphones to listen to music while I torched, but have found I need to concentrate on the flame more now. I miss my music! :D

This will all feel normal to me soon, I am sure!

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!! I am headed out to the torch now. Well, right after I post some updated studio pictures in the 'can I see your work area thread'. LOL

Take care.
~~Mary

AutumnH
01-16-2005, 02:33 PM
I think the adjustment time may have a lot to do with how long you were on the previous torch. I had my HH for a relatively short time before going to my minor. My learning curve was very short. But I made really crappy beads up until then, lol!!

Mary, for your vine cane, maybe try a lollipop of ivory, then silver it, then encase with green. It will give you a larger base to work on, and maybe you won't overheat the lollipop while encaseing like you might be doing with the rod. Also, when I encase a lollipop, I rotate one side to the other while adding encasement stripes. It keeps me from overheating the previous stripe while adding another one.

One more tip, how long did it take you to get that comfortable with your HH? I bet it wasn't 4 times, lol!

It will come, it looks like you are getting a very good grasp on it so far!! And look how many beads you made. WTG!

Moth
01-16-2005, 04:15 PM
I think the adjustment time may have a lot to do with how long you were on the previous torch. I had my HH for a relatively short time before going to my minor. My learning curve was very short. But I made really crappy beads up until then, lol!!

Mary, for your vine cane, maybe try a lollipop of ivory, then silver it, then encase with green. It will give you a larger base to work on, and maybe you won't overheat the lollipop while encaseing like you might be doing with the rod. Also, when I encase a lollipop, I rotate one side to the other while adding encasement stripes. It keeps me from overheating the previous stripe while adding another one.

One more tip, how long did it take you to get that comfortable with your HH? I bet it wasn't 4 times, lol!

It will come, it looks like you are getting a very good grasp on it so far!! And look how many beads you made. WTG!

Thanks Rona! I so far haven't had any trouble making the cane itself, it is the melting it in after it is on the bead when it explodes and bleeds out. LOL I have been torching for a little while now, but I haven't worked on any florals. Just a handful of the salmon egg beads from the Spotlight for the challenge you have running. I thought they were gonna be easy, but boy was I wrong. LOL I haven't got one yet that I would submit for the challenge.

I accidentally overheated the last one and got a really cool effect. I am gonna run with it when I go back out and see what I can do, but I had to come in and thaw out for a while.

Baby, it's cold outside!

~~Mary

Girlie~O~
01-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Well, for only being on your minor 4 times, I'm thinkin your a natural :D Great job Mary!!! Can't wait to see MORE :evil:

Moth
01-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Woohooo!!! I think I just may have gotten my mojo back. I had such an awesome day yesterday!! I wrapped a heating pad and some blankets around my propane tank, fired up the torch and made beads ALL DAY! I finally quit at 10:30 last night wishing my shoulders didn't hurt so bad so I could keep going. I fell asleep last night making ribbed cane for glass pen nibs in my mind. LOL

I have a ways to go yet to be all caught up to myself, but I am very happy! Check out some of my mojo! LOL ;)

Long taper= 40mm
Tortoiseshell bicone= 25mm
Floral= 22mm x 13mm (need to work on getting smaller now, but YAY, I got my favorite vine cane to work by encasing it in clear)

~~Mary

Girlie~O~
01-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Girlfriend! I would say your "mojo" is back and in FULL force!! :clap: :clap: :clap: But, I think I need a close inspection.... please them to me and I'll let you know forsure :evil:

Awesome Mary!!!

AutumnH
01-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Look at you go!!!

SuzyQ
01-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Wow Mary, nice mojo :D

I just tried my minor for the first time today so this thread was great to read! You know what freeked me out? The sound of the oxygen concentrator. It made me feel like I was in the ICU. And I get a breeze that comes in from the top part of my window above my ventilation fan. If it was really strong my flame actually moved. Wierd. And then there was seeing the flame for a change too. How cool is that! I had gotten so use to just holding the bead up above the flame "a bit". But I admit I turned it way down so I wouldn't boil the glass. I think I spent more time playing with the flame size than anything. I realized I need to reread the anatomy of flame stuff. I just sort of new what to do on the hothead. But now that I can see the flame I need to relearn it all.

I only wish my beadie began looking as good as yours on the new torch :)