PDA

View Full Version : Mooooving On.....WIP

woodguy
01-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Moooving on to something new! This is just in the very beginning stages; thin washes and a very loose sketchy approach. I will slowly begin to tighten it up and let dramatic light and shadow develop. I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc. as you watch this develop. I will post the progress as it occurs. 20 x16 oil on MDF. Jim

shirleyq
01-15-2005, 12:31 AM
Ooooooooooooooookaaaaay..................this is certainly different than anything that I have seen from you. Obviously it is from a photograph. Did you take it? First time I have seen grid marks.
I will be very interested to see the Woodguy style applied to this subject. :)

woodguy
01-15-2005, 01:15 AM
Hi Shirley! You are right on all counts. Yes this is something quite different for me, although I did do a knife painting of some cows a fcouple of years ago. And yes it is from a photograph, one that I did not take. I saw this and was taken by the composition and also by the cows' attitude. It just struck me as something I wanted to paint. And yes, there are grid marks that I used for enlarging this. Again, this is something that I normaly don't do. I usually just start painting without a drawing....but because of the new territory, I decided to use this crutch :) And from how I feel about the progress of this one, I need more than crutches. More like bandaids and sutures :crying: However, it is only 11 o'clock, so the night is young and the possible outcomes are many. I may succeed in pulling a cow out of a hat :wink2:

Here are two more images of the progress. I sense that I am getting too tight, and am not happy with the palette at this point.

LisaArt
01-15-2005, 03:36 AM
Hi Jim, Yes this is something different for you. ;)
I like the composition, in the second picture I am seeing your master style shinning through :)

woodguy
01-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Thank you, Lisa! Here is the step in the process. More tightening, and colors adjusted. I may change the sky and I have more detail work to do on the cows. Especially the ones farthest away. Jim

shirleyq
01-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Jim, I have to admit that I couldn't see where you were going with this at first but good golly, it is a Woodguy painting afterall :) I really like it. I especially like how you handled the eyes...............or didn't handle the eyes. :) Can't wait for the tweaks.

woodguy
01-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Thank you, Shirley! I think that the tweaking is done for now. I am going to call this done. So we will see if this meets up to your expectations :) Jim

coulter
01-16-2005, 04:15 PM
LOL! This is great Jim, not only great art, but something that gives a chuckle as well! Personally, I think you should have left the far cow like it was... but that's a small thing, it's a wonderful painting :clap:

Mark

shirleyq
01-16-2005, 08:23 PM
LOL! This is great Jim, not only great art, but something that gives a chuckle as well! Personally, I think you should have left the far cow like it was... but that's a small thing, it's a wonderful painting :clap:

Mark

In addition to that it is mooooooving :D

woodguy
01-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Thank you, Mark! I appreciate the :clap:

Thank you, Shirley :)

LisaArt
01-17-2005, 06:06 AM
Bravo Jim, :clap: