PDA

View Full Version : Second abstract

MonicaB
01-14-2005, 06:47 PM
9"x12" oils, using only scarlet lake and ivory black.

Ed, maybe you can share some of that honesty with a newbie? :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2005/14803-redhot-web.jpg

Tamana
01-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Monica...Monica...Monica....

This is smolderingly intense in design and limited palette - the movement is a firm slow: very sensual indeed. Good job for your second piece. Difficult to critique except for that extra tad of space on the viewer's left. Seems unfinished or refined in comparison to all the rest of the edges within the design.

MountainSong
01-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Oh yes - Nicely done. Great sense of drama and intensity, love that red!! The undulating movement adds energy and movement.....good depth also....sorry no serious crits on this one - it feels pretty developed! :D (Especially for your second!)
The only improvements will come in doing more, more, more!! Time will dial in the nuances.

MonicaB
01-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks, Tamana! I thought the left looked a bit "missing" too, so maybe I'm getting the hang of something, anyway. :D

Mountainsong, thank you. You have been my inspiration, you know. I love your work. I will definitely be doing more!

MountainSong
01-15-2005, 03:19 PM
*BLUSH* Shucks…Thanks Ma'ame! :D

Okay - since you got me all flustered and everything, here's a little critique to help you along the way. :D

Those bits that read as being in the background - if you lighten that area up in increments more depth will be achieved in the painting. You may have already done this but it didn’t read on the digi. I find red very hard to photograph – it comes out flat often. Tamana's right on the corner if you wanted to do something with it. But it's no biggie.

Fall back on what you know from realism and it'll make your abstracts POP! But create your abstracts from your mindscape and soulscapes. :cool: