PDA

View Full Version : Release agent for plaster molds

Parkadge
01-14-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm teaching a small group how to make multi piece plaster molds for sculpture and want to go on to cast from them. Normally I would use clay slip but they don't have access to a kiln. I'm going to try casting wax by soaking the mold in water before I pour in the wax so that it will release. Any other ideas on release agents or casting mediums-they have to be either cheap or free. :)
thanks in advance
Pat

nafa
01-14-2005, 09:49 PM
I suspect the most common casting material is plaster itself. Perfect for teaching children as you do not need a durable cast. It should be cheap but not reusable like wax. Cheapest release agent for plaster mould is common soap. Some dish washing detergent should also work.

Cement/sand/water mixture can also be used as cheap casting material. Soap also works as release agent.

mustone
01-17-2005, 04:26 AM
You can try paper laminating= about ten layers of paper and glue-water in side the mould. It is not messy and it can be made of recycled paper

in this piece the head is made of paper: http://ameba.lpt.fi/~mustokal/images/wlamppu04.jpg

Parkadge
01-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Kiitos Kalle & thank you nafa, I gave the mould making workshop today and it went well. I have a week now to try out your suggestions. I have used the paper lamination technique before but it's not really suitable for this group. I want to show how a mould can be used to quickly produce an edition of a sculpture piece. I'm hoping to cast each piece in wax, paperclay slip, plaster and maybe chocolate.
thanks- Pat