PDA

View Full Version : Portrait from Life Session

kjsspot
11-27-2001, 01:24 AM
Hey ya'll. I did this today during my life session with an older male model. This is done with Rembrandt Soft Pastels and it on a 18x24 umberish tan Mi-Tienes paper. The head is life sized and finished within a 30 minute pose.

Now, outside of finishing the background, do ya'll think I should leave it as is? I'm kinda liking the head as it is but will finish the background.

Thanks for the input!

Baby Blue Whale
11-27-2001, 03:09 PM
Hiya kjsspot!

I really like this! Terrific use of color--especially for the shadows. As far as the background is concerned . . . I'll be honest--I don't know. Hmmmmmmmm.

Warmest,
-Laura

kjsspot
11-28-2001, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Baby Blue Whale
I really like this! Terrific use of color--especially for the shadows. As far as the background is concerned . . . I'll be honest--I don't know. Hmmmmmmmm

Thanks Laura! =) Most likely I'll just leave the background simple. I just didn't finish it at the session as I wanted to use the time for the model. I'm just wondering is ya'll think I should work on the person more or leave it as is? Thanks!

joemajury
11-29-2001, 12:01 PM
I would agree with a soft approach for the background, to make the head stand out even more, good strong use of colours on the head.

Joe
;) ;)

kjsspot
12-09-2001, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by joemajury
I would agree with a soft approach for the background, to make the head stand out even more, good strong use of colours on the head.

Thanks Joe!! I'm a bit late on the reply. Been busy trying to get through finals out here. <g>

ArtyHelen
12-10-2001, 08:58 AM
WONDERFUL head!

I find the background 'squiggles' very distracting, though I don't know what to suggest in their place!

Great work!

Helen

kjsspot
12-10-2001, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by ArtyHelen
WONDERFUL head!
I find the background 'squiggles' very distracting, though I don't know what to suggest in their place!

Thanks Helen! The background is not done. There won't be any squiggles when I finish it. This is just what I managed to do in the 30 minutes we had for pose. Since I was working from a live model, I concentrated on the person, not the background since I can do the background at home without the model. =)

MKathleen
12-10-2001, 11:56 AM
Hi:

I really like your painting and the colors you have chosen are very rich. As far as the background I agree the squiggles kind of bother me too. What if you just blended them together?
Another thought and it may only be my eyes only; but I would soften/brake up the line that divides the yawl and chin. Even though it may have looked that way on the model.

Best,
Kathy :D