PDA

View Full Version : clay bust

max nelson
11-26-2001, 10:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2001/Joan1.jpg

This is a fired clay piece that started out as a full size bust. Left it wrapped wet too long and it fell apart as I unwrapped one day. I salvaged the face part from the floor and fired it. It was unfinished at the time and quite the worse for smashing on the floor. Its about 2" thick, total height about 2' with base. Base made from a piece of lightweight building material that a friend patented and produced from a mining companies fly ash by-product. I sawed a piece off and 'distressed' to give it an organic look. Mounted with a 3/4 inch piece of rebar bent to connect to back of head. Comments or critques welcome.
Max:)

Yielding
11-26-2001, 10:58 PM
Max…I do like the face, has an focused expression. The base seems way to large and bulky to me. However I do like the look but would scale it down.

wendee
11-27-2001, 04:26 AM
Iam a real novice here...but i really like the face...:D :D

diane555
11-27-2001, 07:18 AM
Hi Max

I really like the look of this piece. Maybe it was meant to have this unfinished look and not the refined look you were originally planning. Sometimes accidents make for the most interesting work. I think sometimes we can get too caught up in the whole 'strive for accurate perfection' thing. I also like the base you used, but can you tell me more about it please. What is fly ash? Nice to see another post from you :D

Have a good day
Di

sandge
11-27-2001, 07:52 AM
I like it - it looks like a found relic. What does the back of the mask look like - is that meant to be seen, or should this one stand against a wall?

max nelson
11-27-2001, 05:51 PM
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. Di555, can't give you a technical description of fly ash. It is very much as it sounds, an ash by product from copper mines. It was just a nuisance waste but a friend who was a retired mining engineer and amatuer sculptor patented a process to turn it into a lightweight material for building. It cuts like foam almost. He presented this piece as a present for a bust I did of him. Thought about carving it but that's not one of my talents. Edmond probably would know what to do with this stuff.

Sandra..the backside looks like..well...a wall side. It was started on a post armature with a ball of crumpled paper for the center, so the 'inside' of the head was lumpy. The great thing about a combustible center core is that you don't have to hollow out the peice when completed. Just pop it in the 'oven' and cook away. Although I'm told that the smoke is not good for the kiln elements, have never had a problem.
Max:)

ZOTMA
11-27-2001, 10:29 PM
the departure of the refined from the organic and basic

I like the rough hewn base
the face looks developed of the same material but evolved
space from the armature creates a thrust to the separation
the expression feels calm, open; once free, what now? How free? The armature still holds it to it's base, seemingly from which it came

can't comment technically though the look of it is pleasurable
I like it

impetuous
11-27-2001, 11:26 PM
Oh no! what unfortunate circumstances surrounding this piece. I'm curious, did you swear, cry or kick the cat!:)
Love the end result though (happy accidents and all that) it has the strangest feeling of serenity about it.