PDA

View Full Version : My First Flat-Lapped Beads!!

MissSpider
01-13-2005, 12:34 PM
There's gotta be a better name for these than "Flat-lapped beads"...window beads? Faceted beads? What should I call them?
ANYhow, I am excited about them...and hope no one minds me being a thread hog!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2005/13556-rljan6_035.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2005/13556-rljan6_036.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2005/13556-rljan6_047.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2005/13556-rljan6_046.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2005/13556-rljan6_053.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2005/13556-rljan6_054.jpg

margaretz
01-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Great job on all three! the third is my favorite- can't say why, but I just like it! I have facet-able beads on my torch time plate today... hope it goes well!

Re. the name: I've always said "faceted" beads... I think my tongue would get caught on saying "flat-lapped" all the time. :p :p

Great job, and thanks for sharing!

snooze
01-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Those are beautiful :clap: I love how the first/second one has different things showing through the windows. That is very cool! Great job!

beadamaniac!
01-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Those are gorgeous!! "Flat lapped" might get people to look out of curiosity. I know it got me. Faceted works, too.

e. mort
01-13-2005, 02:02 PM
I like the term "window beads". Faceted is ok also, but i would avoid flat lapped. Sounds odd if you don't know what a flat lap is. My cat would think it was the perfect place to sit....

Eric

bluelizzy
01-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Beautiful.....be a thread hog any time you like, with beads like those. :clap:

My cat would think it was the perfect place to sit....

Eric

LOL....that's funny. :D

CharleneN
01-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Wow! You should be excited! Those beads are TDF!

semiabstract
01-13-2005, 02:38 PM
:clap: I love them those are so neat and whimsical with the flowers and little faces in them and the colors. How about calling them "Peek-a-boo Beads"?

nicker
01-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Holy Crap! :clap: I love the one with the little face! Those are just awsome!

boheme'
01-13-2005, 03:01 PM
They remind me of porthole's on ships. Great beads. Yep like time windows.

Deb

AVCKimberly
01-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Beautiful! I want to know when you are going to start selling them!!

Orca
01-13-2005, 04:07 PM
They are fantastic!! I've done a couple with enamels on the outside too, but I haven't ground them yet!

They won't be in your league though, your flowers simply rock!

Lenda
01-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Those are really special!!! Beautiful actually. I like window beads, or and I think Peek A Boo Beads are kinda catchy too!:D

So how long does it take to grind one window to the finish stage?

KetchikanSculptor
01-13-2005, 04:25 PM
LOVE THOSE BEADS!!!! Wowie Zowie!

glassfreek
01-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Miss Spider...we are mesmerized by your work...spellbound and caught in your web of pretties! Those are phenominal!!! I love faceting too, but mine are aquarium beads with my murrine. Those flowers are incredible too....drooooool! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Hugs Deb

MissSpider
01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Thank you all for the kind words! I appreciate the encouragement! I think I like "window beads" best too.

AVCKimberly, I put these in my Ruby Lane store yesterday. I hope I have not overpriced them...but they are very time consuming, which leads me to my answer to Lenda...about 2 hours each to polish, I have ordered a 220 grit disc which should speed up getting the scratches out from the 180 disc. I guess like everything, they will improve with practice!

Glassfreek, I am working on a mermaid murrini one but it has a lot of facets so it's taking a while to polish. I find myself taking a book to the workshop to read while I hold the little facets in place!! I need a TV down there...or maybe I should watch a DVD on the laptop! :)

lorwolff
01-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Ohhhhhh, they are tooo beautiful.
I absolutely love the one with the lil face in it, but they are all gorgeous.

glassfreek
01-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Miss Spider...yep, takes awhile to polish. I did a few new landscapes that I call my "Window (to my) Heart" or "Window Hearts" that are heart shaped, some set with semi-precious stones like tourmaline...they have been on auctions for a few weeks now (link below to them). I like the window effect...window beads would be a great name for yours! I have a large flat-lap for grinding big blown pieces so it takes me about 1/2 hour to do both sides....through 6 pads, I usually do a few at a time. The hard part is hanging on to them on the rouge pad...most times they are still on the mandrel since it is a planned facet bead but once in awhile I have a SOB bead (almost always a FAG bead too) and I will grind off the surface decoration I either messed up or hate...or both lol! I can't wait to see your mermaid bead, I love anything ocean! I have made clownfish, angels, etc and just finished a bunch of Moorish Idol cane, starting to use them in fused bracelets too, oh murrine are too fun!
GREAT beads! Thanks for sharing them! Deb

glassfreek
01-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Here is one I have up now on the 'bay... one of my "Window Hearts" beads...the same scene on either side...one in fall and one in spring...named "Fall to Spring". The butterfly murrine is Olsen cane (a gift) that I thought I would splurge and use a chip of. The sides have ferns and wild trillium that grows here in the Great North West ;)
I love using foil in the faceted beads too...brings a nice brilliance to the foil (or fuming!) Deb ;)

Dreamcloud
01-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Ahhh, Miss Spider!

They are all sooo pretty. Very nice work and cool as all get out. :clap:

Leiza

Dreamcloud
01-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Wow, Deb!!!

Awesome work! :p

Leiza

MissSpider
01-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Deb, that is a delectable bead!! The foil looks incredibly rich!

juliecab
01-15-2005, 01:57 AM
May I just say, HOLY SH:evil:t! Those rock in more ways than I can say. When will you be auctioning those off...hint hint! :clap: :clap:

quirky
01-15-2005, 02:18 AM
Hi,
I am a painter and can't do this stuff at all. :envy: But I love it & I buy beads to make necklaces. I am in awe! I looked at your chocolates on ebay for the tsunami and they brought tears to my eyes. :crying: I assure you that's REALLY unusual. I will be watching your work.

Listenup
01-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Oh, Wow! Those beads are absolutely wonderful! Well done!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

:wave:
-Kay

MissSpider
01-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi Juliecab, I don't think these will be on ebay at least for the time being as sales there are rather slow, but they are in my little Ruby Lane shop.

Thank you so much Wendy for your kind words about the chocolate beadies. I hope they go a little higher, but I'll be happy to send whatever I can.

Karen

frogsong
01-15-2005, 02:37 PM
MissSpider, those beads are absolutely gorgeous!

Now I have to ask.... how are they made???

Surely not all of you have a lapidary machine. (Or maybe you do) What are you using to make these windows with and where can I get one???

I have to try these!!

Patricia'sglass
01-15-2005, 03:34 PM
I would love to know, also. They are so beautiful. I may not make many but they would be wonderful as special gifts to friends. :)
Pattym

MissSpider
01-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Well, I make the bead, and give it a good, fairly thick clear encasing and I try not to get too many bubbles!!
Then I make a tiny dot of glass on the mandrel where each flower is, because next I sift on a layer of enamels in colors to harmonize with the bead and then I can't see where the flowers are anymore. Of course you can use an opaque encasing of glass instead of enamel but it isn't as thin and delicate looking when faceted. OR you could skip the enamels and just etch the bead heavily when done, which is pretty too.
When the enamels are satisfactory, I use the dots on the mandrels as a guide to place a dot of glass on the bead to tell me where I want to place the window or windows.
Anneal as usual, remove from the mandrel.
I have the 6" All-You-Need grinder from Kingsley North, so I use the coarsest 180 disc to do the initial faceting of the window. These first windows must be perfectly flat, check them in water to make sure there are no bevels, and remember you can take away more glass but you can't put it back! It's really fun to see the interior revealed even though I know what's inside, it's still neat! I use the maximum water drip and rinse the bead a lot as it seems to minimize the scratches which are hard to polish out in the subsequent polishes. (All the rough scratches must be removed by the 220 and 325 discs or they will not polish out with the finer discs) Then I go through the series of discs (220, 325, 600, and 1200) to the final polish of tin oxide. It takes a while (1-4 hours) depending on how big the windows are! However, since I'm still learning this I hope I will get a little faster with practice!
I have heard you can do this without a machine :eek: but I can't even imagine how long it would take!

glassfreek
01-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks Lieza and Miss Spider! I love using foils. Hugs Deb

Paul Katherman
01-16-2005, 09:32 PM
They are just beautiful. I just got into faceting and I love it. It sure does take a long time. I would love to make more but the time is needed on other projects. You have a true talent for this.

grace edwards
01-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Karen - those are just fabulous! And your RubyLane Shop is a pleasure to visit - wow.
Grace

beady_eyes
01-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Really awsome beads!!! Now for the "technical" questions... Is there a thread on WC that tells you how to do the grinding on glass beads? I have some lapidary equiptment, and I was thinking about trying it. Would a glass grinder be better?
How do you do it???
Thanks for any help!

Sue (in Michigan)

Lee Ann Anderson
01-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Karen--Your beads are beautiful and have inspired me to give it a try.
Sue--I found the thread that I first learned about these on--the instructions are toward the end of the thread--
<Faceted "Soul" Beads- thread hog warning!> I'm trying to do a link, but ----Hmmmmmmm------It was earlier in 2004---very good thread
Peace, Lee Ann

Patricia'sglass
01-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Oh, phooey! I have been trying to search for the thread and I can't find it through search. It would be in forums, wouldn't it? Thanks
PAttym

Mr.Smiley
01-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Here's the link... (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190481&highlight=faceted+beads)