PDA

View Full Version : Bright Florals for a Gloomy Gray Day

bluelizzy
01-13-2005, 02:06 AM
It's been so gray and gloomy around here the last few weeks, I had to work on something bright and flowery. :D
I hadn't made any florals for awhile and I almost forgot how much fun they are. OK, there is one focal without any flowers, but it's big and chunky and hot pink so it counts in the bright catagory. The glass is BE and the hot pink is a clear base with cranberry as a second layer and encased again with clear. Hmm, that gives me lots of ideas for some of the other darker transparent colors. :)

Please feel free to add some of your bright and cheery beads to this thread and let's see if we can chase away some of the gloom of winter.

Retta Gates
01-13-2005, 05:00 AM
Very lovely :D I especially love the Purple one with the dichro and pick flowers. Too cute!

Donni
01-13-2005, 05:52 AM
mmmmm... I love the dichro one too :clap:

and also that piunk pink bead it looks faceted :clap:

no beads to share

but would you like some:

heat & humidity
from the exotic (ha! not!) tropics of north east Australia
instead?

hibiscus, frangipanis, african tulips and gardenias flowering at the moment in my yard

Donni

Mary Jo Wolf
01-13-2005, 08:56 AM
Oh so pretty. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:wave:

Lenda
01-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Very nice florals Tracy! Love the colors of BE but I break every encased floral I make! So what's your secret? LOL! That's why I've stuck to moretti and Lauscha cause I can't bear to break anymore beads. :wink2: I'm using the super clear schott to encase, wonder if it's something to do with that. What clear are you using?

CalmWaterStudio
01-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Beautiful florals!! They are perfect... how in the world do you do maintain that much control?

Very nice!

bluelizzy
01-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. :)

Donni, I'm not so sure that I'd care for hot and humid, but I sure could use some pretty flowers in my yard. I especially love gardenias, that fragrance is a comfort smell to me, probably something from my childhood, but I love it.

Lenda, I also use the Schott glass to encase. After I finish the center of the bead, I let it get really cool. When I tap it on my marver, it clinks, it's that cool. Then, I keep it way out in the back of the flame so it doesn't shock when I encase it, but I don't let it get to a glow. To encase, I get a really big gather of clear, about the same size as the core bead and when it's very hot, almost ready to drip off the end of the rod, I smoosh it down on the core bead and wrap it all the way around. On the smaller beads, it usually takes one pass, on the larger beads, it can take two or three passes and then I have to be careful to join the seams without allowing bubbles into the bead. After I've finished shaping the bead, I let it cool in the back flame and tap it on the marver to make sure it's not too hot before putting it in the kiln. When I first started making encased florals, I had a bunch with flat spots on them from putting them in the kiln when they were too hot. I really hate that. :mad: So, now, I put them in rather cool, but I've never had one crack. I'm not bragging, maybe I just don't know any better. :wink2:

Ooo, really long response, blah, blah, blah. I hope it's informative and not just boring.

kybeadmaker
01-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Tracy..thanks for the tutorial on encasing BE...I've had the same problem as Lenda, and I was using Schott glass. Maybe I will give it a try again.
Your florals are beautiful!!!!
Harriet

Lenda
01-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks Tracy. It was very informative. I'm really wondering if what I got was Schott glass because everyone I encase broke. I worked really hot though and put them in the kiln glowing, I didn't get flat spots, I got almost incompatability cracks it looked like.So I must wonder about my clear.

AVCKimberly
01-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Love them all!!!!! I really like the faceted one in the middle.