PDA

View Full Version : Priority Mail HELP! Can I shove it in a mailbox?

BeadBraker
01-13-2005, 12:50 AM
Hey, do I HAVE to give the priority mail box to the mail carrier directly, or can I just shove it in the nearest mailbox?

Help! I can't seem to find the answer on the usps website!

I don't want to "delay" the jewelry getting to the folks, but shoving it in the mailbox is a lot more convenient than stalking the mailman!

Nancy B in IL

Shawn T.
01-13-2005, 12:59 AM
Nancy,
When I do mine, and buy the PM postage through e-bay I can just put it in my own mailbox with the flag up and the maiman picks it up.
If you have already paid postage you ahuld be able to drop it off.

bluelizzy
01-13-2005, 01:50 AM
Hi Nancy,

Not a problem, with the postage already paid, just drop it in the nearest mailbox, or like Shawn says, put it in your mailbox with the flag up. I do it both ways and it works like a charm, no running to the post office every other day. It saves so much time.

Retta Gates
01-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Your mailman must be better than mine. Half the time he either leaves me mail in there, or I have had three packages I mailed this way just vanish. Not to menion the one he let at somone else's house. :rolleyes:

BeadBraker
01-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Thank you everyone!

I just want to follow the rules, but it's hard when it's not specific.

I will drop in the nearest mailbox ASAP. (assuming I don't drown....it's raining buckets in Illinois)

Nancy B

taneres
01-13-2005, 09:32 AM
I know for flat rate mailers if they weigh more than 1 lb they are supposed to be presented to a mailperson or post office. They do not want those packages going directly in a box, but I don't know about putting it in your own mailbox for pickup.

I will ask my postmaster more about this if you want me to. I live in a small town and hardly ever have to wait in line.

Serena

catgirl29
01-13-2005, 09:42 AM
The USPS tv ad shows a guy giving a package directly to his postal carrier but as Serena said, I thought that they had a rule at one point that anything over 1lb had to be physically handed to a person at a post office. This came about because of the anthrax scare.

Steve Wright
01-13-2005, 12:26 PM
The USPS has a new service where you can schedule a Priority Mail pickup by your letter carrier.

Schedule a pickup (http://www.usps.com/pickup/)

The package must be ready to ship with the proper postage already attached. It also can't weigh more than 70 pounds.

You schedule it, tell them where it is(like on the front porch, inside front screen door, etc.) and your package is gone. You can schedule for up to 3 months in advance or for the next day as late as 2AM of the day of the pickup. Great service, and combined with labels printed either online or with Shipping Assistant, shipping becomes rather painless.

Steve

Melinda Melanson
01-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Anything 1 lb or over must be handed to a Postal employee. If it's less than a lb, you can place it in a drop off box. I never place outgoing packages in my mailbox, I live in a high theft area. Heck, a few weeks ago, someone stole my bag of aluminum cans.

bolimasa
01-13-2005, 02:13 PM
My mail carrier once told me that they were not required to pick up any mail, that it a service the provide to be nice. Our neighborhood is a walking route, it may be different than a driving route. And maybe out carrier was full of BS I don't know!

Tink
01-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Your mailman must be better than mine. Half the time he either leaves me mail in there, or I have had three packages I mailed this way just vanish. Not to menion the one he let at somone else's house. :rolleyes:

We must have the same carrier. LOL! Mine won't take any packages that I put out, unless it's just an envelope. Like a bill-paying type envelope. Not a manila envelope.