PDA

View Full Version : When is a miniature NOT a miniature?

champagneharley
01-13-2005, 12:42 AM
This is not a miniature.
Shown slightly smaller than actual size. This is approx. 3x2"
It is NOT a miniature, but instead a SMALL FORMAT painting.
As the painting subject is NOT 1/6th the size of the ACTUAL SUBJECT (the rose).
It's watercolor.
Regards,
Jillian

ponting
01-13-2005, 12:59 AM
This is wonderful Jillian. You can't cheat can you and blow it up a little so we could really drool? Dianna

champagneharley
01-13-2005, 06:45 AM
This is wonderful Jillian. You can't cheat can you and blow it up a little so we could really drool? Dianna
HAHHAHAH! I actually don't think I have a larger pic. I have it this size as an inventory image on 'working artist', but have lost larger pics from an old computer. I did this about 2 years ago. I'll look for a larger image if I get time. :)
Thanks for the compliment. It's one I'm keeping. I've frames it and it's in my miniature art gallery.
:)
Regards,
Jillian

JamieWG
01-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi Jillian. It is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for showing it and explaining about the scale requirements in your organization. In the Australian Society of Miniature Art, they do not have that restriction:
The 1/6th scale, that is 1/6th the size of an object or person in nature, has not been adopted by this society, but the "spirit of miniaturisation" must always be maintained.

and also in the Hilliard Society:
Subjects of any sort should be less than life size. Every detail of the work should be miniaturised, showing a high standard of design, and mastery of technique in chosen media and palette.

The Society of Limners makes exceptions for small items, such as your gorgeous flowers:
With regard to small objects such as insects and flowers this rule is flexible so long as the spirit of a miniature is retained in the work.

Miniature Art Society of South Africa states:
Small subjects which do not lend themselves to the one-sixth rule must be rendered "in the spirit of miniaturism". Here the discretion of the selection committee will apply.

So, members need to check their specific organizations requirements if they wish to enter shows with their work. I will post a sticky, perhaps today, with some links and information. :)

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful work. You have been one of the supporters of the creation of this forum from the get-go. We are so happy (and lucky!) to have you here!

Jamie

champagneharley
01-13-2005, 09:55 AM
That is REALLLY strange. As I was a member of the Australian Miniature Society, and they were the ones that informed me of the 1/6th, and how it worked. I am sure I have read it elsewhere, too.
Now I'm puzzled. I'll check. I think I have some old newsletters somewhere, too.
Regards,
Jillian

Minibrush
01-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Jillian, you'll find that not only do miniature societies have differing standards, so do the art gallery sponsored shows and competitions.
Gee, some even change their minds from show to show, I've been caught off guard, by not reading the prospectus thoroughly, :rolleyes: .

Minibrush

champagneharley
01-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Jillian, you'll find that not only do miniature societies have differing standards, so do the art gallery sponsored shows and competitions.
Gee, some even change their minds from show to show, I've been caught off guard, by not reading the prospectus thoroughly, :rolleyes: .

Minibrush
*lol*
ESPECIALLY read shows! I have been caught off guard even with 'regular' shows.
I was going by what I was told by the secretary of the Australian Miniature Society (Qld) when I first did a mini. I took it to be gospel, as it was my first I wanted to make sure I adhered to the rules. I repeated the 'rules' to make sure of what she said.
So, if what I was told, is not correct. I stand corrected. It all made sense at the time. I was also told that sizes differed in world-wide societies, but was told that always the 1/6th rule applies.
I have always gone by that. So you can understand, that having heard it one-on from such a 'reliable' source, I believe it was set in concrete. :D
Regards,
Jillian

ponting
01-13-2005, 10:52 AM
I've framed it and it's in my miniature art gallery.

Have you tried scanning it? I have had good success scanning framed and gazed paintings.

Thanks anyway....Dianna

Minibrush
01-13-2005, 11:14 AM
I was also told that sizes differed in world-wide societies, but was told that always the 1/6th rule applies.

Jillian, I still see the 1/6th rule in "the majority" of the shows. So, you ARE on the right track.

Minibrush

champagneharley
01-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Jillian, I still see the 1/6th rule in "the majority" of the shows. So, you ARE on the right track.

Minibrush
Thank God I'm right about something! :D
Thanx.
Regards,
Jillian

AriadneArts
01-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Beautiful piece, Jillian. On my screen it measures exactly 1" x 1-3/8." I look forward to seeing it life size.

champagneharley
01-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Beautiful piece, Jillian. On my screen it measures exactly 1" x 1-3/8." I look forward to seeing it life size.
I'll try looking for it.
At the moment I don't feel too hopeful I'll find it soon.
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
01-13-2005, 11:35 PM
OK. I found it. Not sure how it shows on your screen, but on mine it's the size it is. :)
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
01-13-2005, 11:43 PM

Minibrush
Now this is different again...
Referring to the technique rather than the size!
(last paragraph). Size is only down as 'general'.
http://www.art-in-miniature.org/whatmin.htm
I have always maintained that some of my 'regular' sized paintings have MORE fine detail than my miniatures!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
01-14-2005, 12:20 AM

Minibrush
This is the society I originally joined for miniatures, so you can see why I thought the 1/6th 'rule' was set in concrete. :D
http://www.worldfm.org/pecktalk.htm

Regards,
Jillian