PDA

View Full Version : A New WIP

LisaArt
01-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi All, : :wave: : I have done this sketch very quickly for my next WIP. Basically to layout design and type of colour,etc. I want this to be a loose expressionist (by no means a realism) painting
Painting will be done in Acrylics on a large canvas 72 (w)x 50 (l) cm
I feel like I have a good idea where I am going with this.
My question to you all :
From this fast sketch, do you know where this is? What country, etc?
What do you think I can add or change before I start my sketch on the canvas and start laying down the color?
I would appreciate all your help or feedback...Thanks :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2005/40382-GuessWhat.jpg

jeffxxx
01-12-2005, 12:21 PM
My first impression was Venice Italy for obvious reasons (boats, many buildings near or on the water) but I'm not sure the buildings would be that color in Venice. Buildings of that color remind me more of a tropical locale.

One thing I think may improve things-- it's hard for me to tell where the buildings end and the water begins... is that water above the boats? It almost looks like reflections.... but then there appears to be a dock like structure behind the boats...

Where are the cats?! lol

LisaArt
01-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi Jeff, :wave: and thanks for the comments.
I know what you mean about finding it hard to tell where the buildings end and the water begins..I got lazy with that part... :D
This is whats going on....I basically continued the building colours quickly down past the umbrellas, There is a wooden fence dock like structure behind the boats...separating the waterfront and the sidewalk (but you cant see that.) The boats are leaning up against that brownish fence...The water is not up above the boats..there is a type of little hut on one of the boats ...it is not a good colour so it looks blue like water.

I will probably add a few litte cats somewhere...they are like my little trade marks...LOL :cat:

I will post my ref ..picture soon..I just want to see if anyone can guess where this is...If I am on the right track..
BTW.....My sister said Venice too..but she was never at this place...
Its no where in Italy... ;)

magda
01-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi Lisa,

Have you finished this work now? I would like to see it. You haven't said where is it from, but when I look at it, I don't no why I think of Oslo.

:cat: Magda

Hi All, : :wave: : I have done this sketch very quickly for my next WIP. Basically to layout design and type of colour,etc. I want this to be a loose expressionist (by no means a realism) painting
Painting will be done in Acrylics on a large canvas 72 (w)x 50 (l) cm
I feel like I have a good idea where I am going with this.
My question to you all :
From this fast sketch, do you know where this is? What country, etc?
What do you think I can add or change before I start my sketch on the canvas and start laying down the color?
I would appreciate all your help or feedback...Thanks :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2005/40382-GuessWhat.jpg

laketrees
01-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Is it the view from your studio?
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
01-14-2005, 03:52 AM
Hi Magda and Kim, Thanks for the comments.
Magda, Oslo, not a bad choice..at least we are on the same track in Scandinavia... :D
Kim, from my Studio, not bad either..Its in Copenhagen...

This painting is Nyhavn (NewHarbour) in Copenhagen. A very trendy place here. It is so beautiful in the summer.
I have gessoed my canvas which I hate doing... :evil:
And will begin my battle today. Will post soon.
Here is my reference picture. I am changing it somewhat and not going to add all the buildings....and I am not going to add in those people...No way...LOLChallenging, but if I stick to the loose style I want to achieve I think it will be good. I tend to get very picky and work to hard when I begin actual work on the canvas. My husband is always telling me to stick with my sketching style. He really likes them..LOL

Bye for now...
Cheers

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2005/40382-E-092-0104.jpg

LisaArt
01-14-2005, 12:58 PM
HI :wave:
Finally got some work done today. Putting down my charcoal drawing today on the canvas, was quite stressul. :confused: As they are quite messy, my drawings, I went over the rough outline with some diluted paint.
Hopefully tomorrow I will start to block in the colour. Too late and dark to paint now..A well deserved...Happy hour time now... :D
I am kind of happy the way it is progressing so far.. :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2005/40382-WCStep2-Nyh.jpg

Spyderbabe
01-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Hi Lisa :clap: I think I see you in the photo - under the white umbrella?
You've changed the perspective in your painting from the way it is in the photo ( like building height and viewer angle) so don't rely on the picture too much for boat shapes, lights and shadows etc....
Later..

jeffxxx
01-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Nice start so far. I was going to mention about the perspective change too... you clearly are painting with the buildings facing more torward you.. so be careful with the angles of the other objects. The dock angle and boat angle is correct and in keeping with the new perspective.. so you must be changing the perspective on purpose! If it were me, I would have done it by accident! lol

I was going to say that the colors of the buildings in your sketch were too bright and not realistic, but judging from the photo, that's not the case! Neat!

Where will you put the cats!? ;)

LisaArt
01-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Hi Kathleen...LOL..
Yeah I did change perspective...The photo way was too hard...I am just sort of doing my own thing now.
I am using the photos for a general idea of colour,etc.\
Thanks for the advice about shadows and lights.

Hi Jeff, Thanks :) I was aiming for the photo, but heck when it comes to perspective I am off somtimes...It looked quite hard to paint it that way. I will leave that for the more talented. Yes, I am painting the buildings more in my direction. I am glad that you mentioned that my dock and boat angle is correct..That made me feel quite relieved. I was having the most difficulties with those buggers.
Can you suggest what other angles I should watch out for...I cant see that right now...
Where will you put the cats!? Gosh I dont know yet...Mabye I'll stick one the dock fence...for fun.. :cat:

Mikey
01-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi Lisa,

I just wondering what would happen if you could adopt the same mindset as when you do the cat paintings. Cares about all sort of correctness seem to fly out of the window and your creative intuition plays out wonderfully for you.

Mikey

LisaArt
01-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Precisely Mikey, This what I was aiming to do....When I paint from my imagination...or my quick interpertation of something, thye turn out like my cat type whimsical paintings..
Gosh, I am too much into my reference picture..Blahh.. :eek:
I really wanted to do this with this painting..but it is not turning out like that. I'll try, I will see what I can do...LOL :cat:

laketrees
01-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Hi Lisa
I like what your doing with this one - the shapes of the boats the simpler perspective and the composition! Photos do get in the way sometimes and I think your painting is much more interesting! :clap:
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
01-15-2005, 03:30 AM
Thanks Kim, :)
Appreciate that.

jeffxxx
01-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Lisa,
It looks like you have all the angles and perspective right to me... and since all of the main subjects are already included in your painting, everything looks ok to me. The only problem I can see so far is that the buildings on the right hand side of the painting look "compressed" as they are drawn now. The windows are too close together. Remember, you have changed perspective slightly with the buildings more facing the viewer, so the buildings on the right side are not as angled away from you as they are in the photo. The buildings and the windows in them should be, while still angled, more facing the viewer than they are now, in my opinion. Especially the last 2 builidings on the right. I hope this makes sense! :confused:

Look how those right hand side buildings are in your sketch... see what I mean?
They look better in your sketch.

It's hard to mix the freedom of your particular style with a photo, but it can be done! Keep trying! :clap:

Gilberte
01-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Must have missed this one Lisa. What a challenge all those buildings ...... can't comment really on buildings finding it hard myself to draw straight lines.
No cat around ? :p

LisaArt
01-17-2005, 05:59 AM
HI Jeff, Thanks so much for pointing that out. I see exactly what you mean. I am going to remove one of the last buildings and make the other building larger, so we dont have that present angle. Tyring to squeeze into many of the building making that part off..

Thanks Gilberte, LOL, I have troubles with the straight lines too.
Thought I would have a chance to work on the paiting this weekend, was too busy. Will try some work today.
Yeah, I need to add one of my kittys...

LisaArt
01-19-2005, 06:42 AM
Hi, Still in the beginning stages.
Managed to get some more work done today. Just blocking in colour areas, mainly on the buildings.
Realize now after seeing the photo, I need to straighten out the angles of windows on the last 2 buildings.. :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/40382-wcnyhavn.jpg

LisaArt
01-19-2005, 06:58 AM
:crying: :confused: :mad:
Actually, I think I am hating this project....
I am going for a bike ride to get rid of my frustration. ...I cant see it coming together like I was imagining..
Will try to do more work later...maybe..or I'll SMASH it.. :evil:

haaf
01-19-2005, 07:16 AM
well Lisa...a bikeride is always good...enjoy!

Suggestion...throw away the photograph for now.
Work further on your painting from what you see on your canvas, what works what doesn't, colorbalance etc...Allow yourself some more freedom, you have a good feeling for colors so just go...........(have fun !!!)

Caroline;)

BTW I'm going to make my 5 K run right now,
let see who is home first :wave:

laketrees
01-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Hi Lisa
Don't smash this! :crying: Just turn it to the wall for a while - it will then do want you want it to! :angel:
I think your landscape is coming along wonderfully! :clap:
I once threw one of mine over the balcony! It was really bad :evil: Now I just put them under the bed. That's probably why I have nightmares sometimes!!
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
01-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi Caroline :wave: How was the run. The bike ride did me good. :)
Decided to do what you said...I am working to much from the reference photo. :eek:
I thought I would work on the first three buildings, building up window frames, lights, darks etc. I am seeing the light :D
I am fussing to much with this, I think I have to sit back and enjoy it and let it happen.

Hi Kim, :wave:
LOL, Your post really cheered me up. Thanks for your feedback and support...

Gals, Here is what I have done now on the first bit.
I need to just work the top part of the first building..A little too dark on top.
Some more light in the doorways, Then I will continue the white along all the windows and then do the roof tops with some nice reds, sienna to warm it up.
Then the fence, and shading in the bottom part of the buildings, and those bugger umbrellas...I think I will not add any people. What do you think about that.

I am waiting to tackle the boats and water...last...That may very well be the death of me....LOL

You see I am having my red wine...now...LOL.
I might work on a little bit more..the wine is soothing me...Oh and I am listening to Dean Martin...I like him when I need inspiration...LOL :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2005/40382-GettingBetter.jpg

Mikey
01-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Hery Lisa, you are so concerned about the success of this painting you've got too mindy. I do know that the answer is easily said but less easy to do at times.

Mikey

haaf
01-20-2005, 03:59 AM
Hi Lisa

Early wine sipping there.........it's still light outside :angel:
Bright colored painting this is going to be, and probably will end up not as you thought it would turn out when started reading your commments.
Just a few thoughts..

Working with this medium ,on this size canvas, just lets you work at the moment in this way.That's shows your interaction (your art) at the moment.

I've read somewhere the following sentences (just let it sink in..)

"The work we make vibrates in harmony with everything we have put into it, or withhold from it.
Look at your work and it tells you how it is when you hold back or when you embrace. When you are lazy, your art is lazy, when you hold back, it holds back, when you hesitate ; it stands there staring , hands in its pockets. But when you commit, it comes on like blazes."

When I read it , I thought it was interesting so I wrote it down, maybe it helps your thinking path.

Caroline;)

LisaArt
01-21-2005, 04:00 AM
Hi Caroline, Yeah it was a bit too early. It was unusually bright outside for about 4:15 pm, Very strange for Denmark, usually much darker by then. Happy the days are getting longer...Can paint a little longer.. ;)

I love that quote you posted. It really had me reflecting about my different moods when I am painting. It is so true.
Thanks for sharing it.

You know Caroline, you have some great insight....
This painting is turning out quite differently...
I think it is a good a thing.. :)
Thanks so much.. ;)

LisaArt
01-21-2005, 05:57 AM
HI all, Yet another Update...
Having a bit more fun now..
Oh having a lovely snow fall...today..Cozy day to paint all day... :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2005/40382-NY3.jpg

LisaArt
01-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Hi Everyone, a little more...
I need to work more on roof tops, boats and water needs the most work.
I will lighten up the right side under the umbrellas with colours from respective buildings. I think it is a little too dark now. What do you think?

Taking photos at night are always not too good...Oh well
During the snow today, the sun came out, and the water was such a lovely blue, I had to take a picture. I now have a good reference photo for my water colour... :)
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE... :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2005/40382-ny4.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2005/40382-wcbluewater.jpg

Gilberte
01-21-2005, 12:51 PM
It's a neat, neat painting Lisa ................. Good photograph of the water and it's getting even colder tomorrow !
Have a nice weekend too !

haaf
01-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Good going Lisa!!!
Enjoy your weekend looks nice there for a bikeride or a good run,
and in the summer.......do you know how to sail or windsurf?
Caroline ;)

LisaArt
01-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi my favourite Dutch and Belgium gals,
Thanks for looking and appreciate the comments. :)
Yeah, it was sure cold today. Then these weird beautiful sun breaks were going on.
It is super for a bike ride, mostly runners here in front though, I think I will take up running. We had a tread mill in korea, becuse it was too polluted to run outside. I did not install it here, as I am going to start running here too. Dont think I could ever run a 5 km, though Caroline.. ;)
I have sailed only once, and really loved it. (I wasnt do the sailing, just the sitting and enjoying, and drinking..LOL)
Would love to do it again. Lots of sailboats around, windsurfers and kayakers....Oh, gosh you already have me longing for the summer.
If you are ever in copenhagen, please do email me...Would be great to see you both... :clap:
PS how's the weather over in Belgium?
Gilberte, How is the computer going...Hope all is okay....

Oh by the way, met a great Belge couple, they will come for dinner next week..Hurray finally meeting some new people... :cat:

laketrees
01-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi Lisa
Your painting is looking really good! :clap: My 15 year old son (he paints) has just walked by the computer (while I was looking at your painting) and his comment - " Oh I like that!" (he paints boats too). I wish he could be as enthusiastic about my portraits! :envy: I only ever tried painting boats once and yes it ended up under the bed.!!
Cheers Kim
ps hard to believe you have snow there when I'm sitting here with the air con on (32o)

LisaArt
01-24-2005, 04:32 AM
Hi Kim, Thanks so much and thanks to your son too...that made me happy.
Hey maybe mom can post ones of his boat paintings...I totally love boat paintings.
Strong gale winds last night and more snow..freezing here today. You lucky gal. If only I had been born over there...LOL
Weekend over, my hubby back to work, Lets see if I can finish this one today. I dont get much time to paint on weekends...LOL.

shirleyq
01-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi Lisa, I have been lurking on this thread and just wanted to say that I like your progress. I think a few people would only add to the atmosphere.......although, that is probably what you want to hear lol. They wouldn't have to be detailed.......just a suggestion :)

LisaArt
01-25-2005, 02:28 AM
Hi Shirley, :wave: Thanks for your comments..
Ohh the people, I was pondering about them last night. I am quite afraid about adding them in. :eek:
If it were oil i could just turp them out. I might lay a very quick wash and see, and If I feeel it will be too complicated, I will take them out quickly.
Did lots more work will post some more today. mainly on my boats.

shirleyq
01-25-2005, 05:14 AM
Hi Shirley, :wave: Thanks for your comments..
Ohh the people, I was pondering about them last night. I am quite afraid about adding them in. :eek:
If it were oil i could just turp them out. I might lay a very quick wash and see, and If I feeel it will be too complicated, I will take them out quickly.
Did lots more work will post some more today. mainly on my boats.

no guts, no glory :D

LisaArt
01-25-2005, 07:16 AM
Hi Shirley, LOL..Yes you are right about that...I think I will have not guts.. :o

Hi Everyone, :wave:
More work since early this morning. Pretty much finished the boats and the water. I am quite happy with the boats.. :) Just need to do the long masts, and a little red relection in the water from the red bouy.
And I need to add the red warm glow on roof tops and little touch ups here and there. I will post the next finished in the OC....hopefully tonight. I want to move on to another project...
Let me know if there is anything..?

I have decided not to add any people...I am chicken and I think I will wreck what I have worked so hard on.... :D
Oh but I might a little cat on the fence...Just for fun. :cat:

Thanks all for viewing my WIP and all your great feedback, it sure was helpful. It was fun a project.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2005/40382-ny5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2005/40382-boatcloseup.jpg

laketrees
01-25-2005, 07:40 AM
:cat: This is just wonderful!!! Lisa :clap: :clap: :clap:
The colours are bright and bold and all the details on the boats and buildings are great! I would love to see you put one or two of your exquisite little cats in -
I don't think you need any people as it would take away from the peaceful, serene feeling you have captured - besides cats are such lovely silent creatures aren't they? :cat: :cat:
Congratulations Lisa - my son is green all over - me too! :envy: :envy:
ps will miss your company in this forum :crying: - please start another WIP real soon!!
pps having a breather from my work as I'm still waiting on more canvases. I will post my son, Alexander's boat in my thread tomorrow and maybe you can give it a mini critique? :D :D
Cheers Kim

Gilberte
01-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Almost finished ? Just some fine tuning left ? Don't think you need any help or suggestions at this point :) Super good work and I'll check in tonight in OC. (got to hurry and do some work on another "Leeza" :p )
Ciao !

haaf
01-25-2005, 08:47 AM
STOR OPGAVE !!!!!
( well............I think that's Danish :D )
Caroline ;)

Mikey
01-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Good work Lisa. This is your style, so go for it.

Mikey

LisaArt
01-25-2005, 09:21 AM
Oh Kim, :angel: thanks so much for your support through the WIP. :) Your help and kind words really motivated me. Yes, please do post yours son's work. I would love to see his boats. Oh, yes I will miss you in the WIP..I will be checking up on your regulary.. :D
I will start a new WIP soon perhaps...Have a few ideas in my head right now.
Cheers, Lisa :cat: Yes, I'll put my little cats...

Hi Gilberte, Thanks so much for your very kind words and support. Hopefully, I can post it tonight...I am getting kind of tired right now.
Another Leeza..... :D :angel: Oh anxious to see that...Talk to you later.. :wave:

Hi Caroline, Tusind Tak! for everything :o

Hi Mikey, :angel: Thanks so much, really appreciate that... :o

Spyderbabe
01-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Lisa - this turned out great! The people are all inside right now and I love the flags on the building. The boats - and the reflections on them are terrific. Good work! And it wasn't just the wine :angel: !

LisaArt
01-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Kathleen... :wave: LOL, yes they are inside right now..its freezing over here...
Really appreciate your support and kind words...
The wine does help sometimes....... :D

LisaArt
01-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi Everyone, The painting is finsihed today..Hurray. Posted it in the OC.
Thanks again for all your support and priceless feedback... :clap: :cat: