PDA

View Full Version : January Morning

Rodney
01-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi All,
11 X 14 board with oils study from The Big Book of Painting Nature in OIL.
This painting is to be an early morning sunrise on a snowy February morning.
Well it's still January so thats what I"ll call it.
Sun shineing thru trees with shadows on snow in the forground. Got some of the trees blocked in and have been working on the sky but seems to be coming out dark. it all needs more work but I like the feel of this one so far.
painting on board is so different than canvas and using oils for the first time on board has been more of a challange.
I have to quit trying to use so much paint. it seems the less I use the better it looks to me.
trying to come up with a purple-red light in a light value to try and lighten up the sky but not getting it :confused:
thanks in advance for any comments.
BfnR :wave:

Spyderbabe
01-11-2005, 04:02 PM
I like the feel of it too. Nice sky, and sun ---- I wouldnt do much more....except the trees are reading kinda flat black.

Rodney
01-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks Spyderbabe I may just leave the sky until I work the trees out.
need to get that bob ross out of my system and quite using so much paint, and more stain the board than pile the paint on for the start?
:confused: did that make any sense :confused:
this is fun :D

Spyderbabe
01-11-2005, 08:58 PM
As long as you're having fun that's the whole point.
If you like the paint thick, layer it on.
How many paintings do you have going at once? I find it helpful to have two or three in progress.

Rodney
01-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Yep it's just what I need to be doing, :D
this is another I started- just playing with color which is one {of many} place's where I need to get better at.
probably shoudn't show this one as its pretty bad right now I don't know where I was going with it? wanted to put the priamry colors out there cool to warm left to right.hope I did it right. :eek:

Rodney
01-12-2005, 12:15 AM
The first pictue I posted didn't look right so here's another.
new camera.. trying to figure out how to use it :confused:
this may have helped make the colors look closer.
the first ones were too bright.
bfnR

Rodney
01-16-2005, 09:25 AM
A little more progress {???} on my snow picture. This new camera I got makes the colors more vivid than they really are, don't understand why that is?
After I did more work on the trees I relized the sky is to dark for a good contrast for the smaller trees. live and learn.. I am going to set this one aside for now, and call it done and learn from the mistakes.
I had to give it a try since we are in the snow season, Burrr it has been cold around here.
thanks for looking at my work.
:wave: