PDA

View Full Version : Tulips

GSPR
01-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Hello all
This painting was done on an 8x10 canvas.
I finished painting the tulips but still need to work on the background and the leaves.
Any comments are welcome to make the painting more attractive.
Thanks in advance.

Mikey
01-11-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure what way you want to go with this painting. At the moment it's very two dimensional and if that is what you want will make all the difference to any comments. The green and violet are good opposites, working well in my opinion.

Mikey

GSPR
01-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Hello Mikey
Actually i wanted the painting to be more 3 dimensional.
I am thinking of adding more lights and shadows to the leaves.
Do the tulips need more toning? should i add more lights and shadows to the flowers??
Also is it ok to have different background colors for the painting like the top half of the painting is light Yellow but the bottom half is sort of yellow & orange mix? is it ok ? or do i need to change it to have a uniform background color?

Mikey
01-11-2005, 03:52 PM
I don't know if you've got some tulips, or a photograph. First of all the tulips have a 3 dimensional shape and showing that will be more important than getting the details right. Think of this maybe for another painting, try having the blooms tilting towards the viewer and different angles. It does make things more difficult, but helps us to create more variety. You'll want to darken the violet for the shading. It depends on what pigments you have. I would try for mixing blue and magneta, or a dark red like Alizarin, without white. But whatever, try to recreate the shape. Thats probably enough for you to cope with for now. There's lots more to learn and other will tell you more.

Mikey

Spyderbabe
01-11-2005, 03:59 PM
should i add more lights and shadows to the flowers?? Yes

Also is it ok to have different background colors for the painting like the top half of the painting is light Yellow but the bottom half is sort of yellow & orange mix? is it ok ? Yes

or do i need to change it to have a uniform background color? No

I think its very tricky to go back in after a painting is done and try to fill in the background. Work it while your're working the flowers and stems.

Why not start a new one piece and try some of the things Mikey suggested? Save all your work and you'll have a nice progression to look back on.

LisaArt
01-12-2005, 05:09 AM
Hi, GSPR Looking very good. I am a big tulip lover
You have received great advice from Mikey.
I also think the leaves are a bit too green if you know what I mean. I think you need to add a little more yellow ochrer to your tulip stems, and leaves..Heres what I mean.Tulips have a different type of green.
The background is good.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2005/40382-TulipDemoLeaves.jpg

GSPR
01-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Thank you guys for the suggestions.
I was thinking of doing another painting of tulips with different colors and incorporating these suggestions. :)

magda
01-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Hi,

Wonder how is the progress with tulips. I think you need more 3d effect on flowers and leaves. The background can be completed in a colour mix depending on what hue and values you have in foreground.

:cat:
Magda

Hello all
This painting was done on an 8x10 canvas.
I finished painting the tulips but still need to work on the background and the leaves.
Any comments are welcome to make the painting more attractive.
Thanks in advance.