PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Girl

Mikey
01-10-2005, 03:49 PM
They told me oils don't try quickly. I think that must only be when you don't want it that way. My idea was to do a frotesse, paint a Yellow Oxide wash, let it dry reasonably well, then put down Burnt Umber and wipe back. So I got distracted for half an hour and when I returned with the rag it wouldn't wipe back well enough. Not to worry, see if I care.

I've been working as fast as I can at this stage, free and loose. Size 18 bright brush for nearly all of this to force loosness until just before the second photo where I picked up a size 10 filbert for the irises.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2005/28043-japanese_girl_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2005/28043-japanese_girl_2.jpg

A Few Pigments
01-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Burnt umber is one of the fastest drying pigments. Here’s a link to the Winsor & Newton site with a pdf about the drying time of some of the pigments in their range of oil paint. http://www.winsornewton.com/index2.php

Golden Kfir
01-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Outstanding expression. This girl seems familiar in some of your other works.

LisaArt
01-11-2005, 05:29 AM
Mikey! This is looking WOW. I am enjoying this..Staying tuned... ;)
Yeah burnt umber is the fastest drying..in my mind.

Mikey
01-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Hi Bruce, I use Michael Harding oils, which don't have any driers in them. Even so Trans Yellow Oxide, Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber are very fast drying. He puts all that on the label. It is useful to have the ground dry fast. Trans Red Oxide is only fast drying.

One thing to note about drying speeds of paint. I begin using Titanium White for it's strength and body, then often use Cremnitz White on top for its clean transparency and blending suitability. The Cremnitz drys quicker, so it pays to be careful.

Hi Josh, thanks, all the others oriental girls are Chinese, so maybe I put a lot of myself into the paintings in some way.

Thanks Lisa. I've narrowed the face slightly and have to do the eyes next.

Mikey

Mikey
01-11-2005, 10:30 AM
I've pulled her left eye down, but it looks worse. :D It's good training.

Mikey

LisaArt
01-11-2005, 10:44 AM
:eek: oh Mikey, Why? Oh I am sure you will fix it...even better.

Mikey
01-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Hi Lisa, here's what I've done so far. Sorry about the flash and colours. You've probably got much the same weather as us here, so know just how dark it is.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2005/28043-japanese_girl_3_CU.jpg

katelynalain
01-11-2005, 11:29 AM
that close up of the face is beautiful! i'm looking forward to watching this one progress..

Mikey
01-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks Katelyn. I haven't been using any references for the skin tones for this one, and I'm still experimenting with it.

Mikey

laketrees
01-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Mmm, looking good! Transparent and transluscent. The eyes have it!! :clap:
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
01-12-2005, 04:59 AM
Hi Mikey,
Just fabulous. I like how you did the white bits around her eye and the other darker colors here...palette is wow!
Forget the reference for the skin tone :D ....you are experimenting just great....
So Anxious to see more.l
Yeah it was quite dark here too, but today it is sunny :)
That wind on Saturday night was scary :eek:

Mikey
01-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks Kim and Lisa. If only I could be painting from the life right now. We are used to seeing caucasian complexions in the main. It's not just a case of matching the local colour values. I've put down some Trans Yellow Oxide, followed by Alizarin and Naples Light, then Burnt Sienna and Violet for the shadows. These variations add a lot of interest. I don't want one pigment to dominate. I'm still having to work in some Cobalt Blue for the highlights. Cremnitz White is best as a mixer at this stage, because of it's warmth and transparency, even with the blue.

Mikey

Edit: I'll put some more highlight into her right cheek, but it's fairly subtle.

LisaArt
01-14-2005, 03:54 AM
OH Mikey, I am thrilled here...I love the composition. Her peering out shly from behind the curtain.
Thanks for sharing the colour palette...a good choice indeed.

Mikey
01-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks Lisa. I've been thinking about flesh colours quite a bit. I'm finding Alizarin and Lead Tin yellow very useful and easy to control for Caucasian complexions. This yellow pigment mixes light colours without too much white. The problem I'm trying to solve here is one of plainess, or how to introduce other colours such as green, or blue. I may have to leave it and move on.

Mikey

Mikey
01-14-2005, 11:16 AM
What do you think now?

Mikey

laketrees
01-14-2005, 04:30 PM
I like the colours you are using , particularly the violet! The variations do add interest. Am interested to see how her hand develops.
Cheers Kim :clap:

Mikey
01-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Thanks Kim, I'll maybe use the same colours as the face for that hand, but a touch lighter. It won't look like the hooded claw - I hope. There's a lot of modelling going on in there.

Mikey